Brian Shaw, Jujimufu and the hub lift

John McCarter

On 11/24/2018 at 11:03 PM, Tommy J. said:

Due only to politics. I repeat, politics. Politics are the sole reason Mike Burkes axle record isnt listed on the NAGS site.

His 'record' lift should never had passed. It was a very poor call by the judge/s.

11 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

His 'record' lift should never had passed. It was a very poor call by the judge/s.

I actually just watched Mike Burke’s record axle for the first time last night, I’m not so sure myself That it should have passed, however, do I think he could do it if he did  to get in that same day? Most likely. Just like when he did his record axle and dropped it on the floor purposely and  immediately picked it back up and did it again after the judges made a No go In epic defiance to make the lift TWICE. Very amazing.

On 11/25/2018 at 4:08 AM, Boulderbrew said:

Must be an ego thing. He and all of us are PRETTY sure he would break the records....but if he didn’t maybe he would feel defeated. He may just be the type of dude that doesn’t like all the pressure 

Its quite difficult to judge a heavy axle lift where the lifter has not secured the weight tightly with quality spin collars (with the plates off the ground when you tighten the collars). This is especially true if you use quality plates what fit tightly. High quality plates secured tightly makes the lift harder by quite bit. In my case it is a bit more than 5%. That would be comparable to successfully pulling 250kg without any collars but failing at 237.5kg using Eleiko steel plates secured with high quality spin lock collars (i.e. securing them as hard as you can).

2 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

Its quite difficult to judge a heavy axle lift where the lifter has not secured the weight tightly with quality spin collars (with the plates off the ground when you tighten the collars). This is especially true if you use quality plates what fit tightly. High quality plates secured tightly makes the lift harder by quite bit. In my case it is a bit more than 5%. That would be comparable to successfully pulling 250kg without any collars but failing at 237.5kg using Eleiko steel plates secured with high quality spin lock collars (i.e. securing them as hard as you can).

Hmmmm, I guess I never realized this factor before. Must be why the axle felt heavier in the competition that I did axle in. 

KapMan said:
6 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Literally almost anyone, that does not have a very serious handicap, can get to a 300+ vertical bar lift, eat glass, cert on red nail, walk on water, solve a rubiks cube with their feet, Get a  4.2 40 yard dash, Throw a javelin 92m, solve string theory, bench 500 raw.

Your confidence is amazing .

Surely you are not arguing that any of those other feats remotely compare to a 400 lb deadlift???  Other than maybe the red nail, which most healthy men could accomplish with the proper training and instruction...

My confidence comes from experience.  I was 42 years old.  Went to my first grip comp at Jedd's.  Had two major back surgeries a year or so before.  Could only get 1 rep on an axle with 300 because my deadlift (which I had never trained) was right around 300.  Grip was still good for more.  I had never trained seriously with weights.  Was not a naturally strong guy, although I was athletic and had played sports my whole life.

Was embarrassed and set about correcting it.  Told myself that my DL would never again be the limiting factor on any grip lift.  Worked on getting stronger and few years later I had gotten to a 600 lb DL at the age of 45 or 46. So yea, I'm pretty confident that any grown man, without a serious handicap, from 18 - 55 can get to a 400 lb DL if they dedicate themselves to it.  The guys that weigh under 150 might struggle, but then again they probably don't need a 400 lb DL to reach their maximum potential on the axle.  300 would be a 2X BW axle, which is pretty elite.  

I'm extremely confident that if anyone decides to dedicate themselves to building their deadlift they can reach a point where their pulling strength should not be the limiting factor on their axle pull.  I'm not saying it would be super easy for everyone, but it could be accomplished with effort and if you want to maximize your axle. Some will decide it's worth it.  Some won't.  But it is attainable. 

Eating glass... if the money was right.  🤤

Edited by Mike Rinderle

4 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

KapMan said:

Literally almost anyone, that does not have a very serious handicap, can get to a 300+ vertical bar lift, eat glass, cert on red nail, walk on water, solve a rubiks cube with their feet, Get a  4.2 40 yard dash, Throw a javelin 92m, solve string theory, bench 500 raw.

Surely you are not arguing that any of those other feats remotely compare to a 400 lb deadlift???  Other than maybe the red nail, which most healthy men could accomplish with the proper training and instruction...

My confidence comes from experience.  I was 42 years old.  Went to my first grip comp at Jedd's.  Had two major back surgeries a year or so before.  Could only get 1 rep on an axle with 300 because my deadlift (which I had never trained) was right around 300.  Grip was still good for more.  I had never trained seriously with weights.  Was not a naturally strong guy, although I was athletic and had played sports my whole life.

Was embarrassed and set about correcting it.  Told myself that my DL would never again be the limiting factor on any grip lift.  Worked on getting stronger and few years later I had gotten to a 600 lb DL at the age of 45 or 46. So yea, I'm pretty confident that any grown man, without a serious handicap, from 18 - 55 can get to a 400 lb DL if they dedicate themselves to it.  The guys that weigh under 150 might struggle, but then again they probably don't need a 400 lb DL to reach their maximum potential on the axle.  300 would be a 2X BW axle, which is pretty elite.  

I'm extremely confident that if anyone decides to dedicate themselves to building their deadlift they can reach a point where their pulling strength should not be the limiting factor on their axle pull.  I'm not saying it would be super easy for everyone, but it could be accomplished with effort and if you want to maximize your axle. Some will decide it's worth it.  Some won't.  But it is attainable. 

Deadlift is key to all things strength. If you can lift heavy things off the floor, all else falls into place.

26 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

KapMan said:

Thats truely an inspiring story. We should contact hallmark for your one shot special.

You can be strong without deadlift, not everyone CAN deadlift. Regardless of health or not. Theres just some shit folk cant do.  To assume anyone can do any one particular thing is delusional. 

Edited by KapMan

10 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Thats truely an inspiring story. We should contact hallmark for your one shot special.

You can be strong without deadlift, not everyone CAN deadlift. Regardless of health or not. Theres just some shit folk cant do.  To assume anyone can do any one particular thing is delusional. 

Not sure why you're being a dick.  I was nothing but respectful to you.  Just a different opinion.  

You are correct that not everything is possible for everyone.  But some things certainly are if you put in the work.  I, and most people who work their dl, would put a 400 lb pull in the latter category.   It's just not that heavy.  Comparable to a 225 lb bench.  If you or others don't want to put the work in, cool.  That doesn't mean you couldn't do it.  Just means you have other priorities or aren't willing to put out the effort.  

Either way, still no excuse for being an a$$hole.  

• Like 4

Nags is open to anyone to compete in, with comps all around the country just show up and compete. If you start bending rules where does it stop ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Not sure why you're being a dick.  I was nothing but respectful to you.  Just a different opinion.  

You are correct that not everything is possible for everyone.  But some things certainly are if you put in the work.  I, and most people who work their dl, would put a 400 lb pull in the latter category.   It's just not that heavy.  Comparable to a 225 lb bench.  If you or others don't want to put the work in, cool.  That doesn't mean you couldn't do it.  Just means you have other priorities or aren't willing to put out the effort.  

Either way, still no excuse for being an a$$hole.  

If thats me being a dick. Maybe you need thicker skin. Like a 400lb deadlift everybody can have thick skin right? 

Just now, KapMan said:

If thats me being a dick. Maybe you need thicker skin. Like a 400lb deadlift everybody can have thick skin right? 

Lol.  Alright.  We're done here.  Thanks for your service. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Lol.  Alright.  We're done here.  Thanks for your service. 

Bye

Wait wait wait. So you are telling me everyone should be able to deadlift 400 and then in the same breath, say a 225 bench isn’t as attainable for most? Surely if you work as hard on your bench, as you do your deadlift you can attain bench enlightenment, no? 

That’s like saying everyone can do a pull up, but then not everyone can do a chin up.  Which is it bro? You can do anything with the power of friendship and hard work, or you can only do SOME things.

Thread has pretty much run it's course and then some.

If anyone wishes to continue the current tangent, please do in a new thread..adhering to the rules of the Board.

• Sad 1