Brian Shaw, Jujimufu and the hub lift

John McCarter

Maybe "having fun" is good enough for most of us.  I have competed in so many things over the years - never for money (usually paying to do them) and my legacy will fall only to my kids - grandkids, and a few friends.  Which is enough for me.  Being on a list like NAGS Top 50 etc may be the only fame I aspire to and that's also enough for me.  I would enjoy seeing what the super humans among us can do but honestly don't give a damn enough to pay for them to come to my contest.  Life for me falls to enjoying each and every day as best I can - and i do enjoy Grip Sport - just like I enjoy my climbing and my family.  Breaking some obscure record is fun to me - training to do so is also fun - even in the confines of my garage gym lifting by myself.  One thing I can say with assurance is that if having fun and enjoying life is the competition we are in - I'm hanging right in there! 

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Maybe "having fun" is good enough for most of us.  I have competed in so many things over the years - never for money (usually paying to do them) and my legacy will fall only to my kids - grandkids, and a few friends.  Which is enough for me.  Being on a list like NAGS Top 50 etc may be the only fame I aspire to and that's also enough for me.  I would enjoy seeing what the super humans among us can do but honestly don't give a damn enough to pay for them to come to my contest.  Life for me falls to enjoying each and every day as best I can - and i do enjoy Grip Sport - just like I enjoy my climbing and my family.  Breaking some obscure record is fun to me - training to do so is also fun - even in the confines of my garage gym lifting by myself.  One thing I can say with assurance is that if having fun and enjoying life is the competition we are in - I'm hanging right in there! 

Having fun, being healthy and getting stronger is the name of the game. Money ain’t everything 

18 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Having fun, being healthy and getting stronger is the name of the game. Money ain’t everything 

I disagree. Being able to train, eat, and compete rests solely on money.  Thats why these “elite” guys shill for sup companies and stuff. 

Shit aint cheap. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Its funny.. literally no one even remotely said this until Tanner arrived. No one. If anyone can find a post that predates Tanners arrival in the sport and stating otherwise, id be glad to be proven wrong.

the Truth is, Tanner is THE only person that applies to on a significant scale. For everyone else, barring funky posterior chain issues, or guys mostly over 200lbs, grip IS the limiting factor.

Strongmen arent using the axle as a deadlift max tool. When most top level strongment pull upwards of 1000lbs on a deadlift for reps, but yet the all time axle record is half of that for a single rep, i would actually staunchly point out that the axle is one of the few implements that still allows us non 400lbers to lift similar weights as the big boys. At least in the same ballpark anyways. It IS a grip implement.

if you directly asked all 900lb + deadlifters what they thought of the axle deadlift, all of them would have a reason to cry about it as well. But for opposite reasons as many here. Their bitch would be “cant go high enough in weight to put in any back work.” So the fact that it is hated on both ends represents to me EXACTLY why it should stay as a contested item in grip. Because it does exactly what its supposed to do. Make those with alleged super full body strength look not so strong.. 

the truth is, the axle IS indeed a grip implement. But far too many haters of it apparently view themselves as having Tanner syndrome. To that i say- “sorry.. there is only 1 Tanner. The rest of you suck at axle because your thickbar numbers are simply not impressive across the board.” Stop trying to validate your sucking at it by claiming your in with Tanner on thickbar. Because your not.

Its so ironic.. the big strong guys bitch about how it doesnt flex, its ridiculous to hang on to, its not a true way to test deadlift strength, etc. its so satisfying hearing crying on both ends. It is the only implement i know of that has such an affect across the board that makes grown men murmer and pout at its mere presence.

i love the axle because it brings the “little bitch boy” cries out in so many athletes. On both sides of the spectrum. 😆!

It is a grip implement in its most raw and primitive form. A fat bar lifted for max weight. Can’t get anymore grip related than that. I love it and for the exact reasons you just mentioned, Tommy. How that 940 pound deadlifter could barely lift 340 on an axle is awesome.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Rick Walker said:

This is 100% spot on. Just because others might enjoy grip and competing in grip, doesn't mean athletes who get paid to compete and win are willing to take a chance on getting hurt (or spend their own money on entry fees, hotels, food, etc.) just to break some obscure records that mean nothing to anyone outside of the sport of grip.

I know this will tick some people off, but no one is leaving a legacy with grip. No one. Win World's Strongest Man and they talk about you forever. Win an Olympic gold medal and your name is immortalized. Have a consistent winning powerlifting career like Ed Coan and you are known as the GOAT and people still pay you for you to do seminars or help them out with their own training. Play a professional sport and you set yourself and your family up for life and as long as you make the roster, you will forever be remembered as a being part of that team. They never have to worry about money again. I think Crossfit athletes even pocket $275,000 if they win the Crossfit World Games and again, the list of winners is an elite list that carries with it legacy. To me arm wrestling is another fringe sport, but those athletes are often treated like celebrities in their countries and again, they win money.

Break some grip records and who cares? A handful of dudes on a forum. No money, no fame, no nothing. It just is not worth it for big time athletes to get involved. If it doesn't pay the bills or bring national fame, the greatest athletes (and strength athletes) will simply not get involved. 

I know there are athletes out there that could make guys who have been gripping for 15-years look weak on some events without ever training them. They are just huge, strong freaks. We will never see them though because they are getting paid millions a year to play a game. Imagine the 6'6" 280 lb tight end who has to report to his head coach that he hurt himself at a grip contest in someone's garage and has to sit out a couple games...soon there would be something in their contract about not competing in strength sports while under contract!

Interestingly, Eddie Hall said pretty much the exact same thing about why he doesn't do powerlifting.  Not enough fame, money, and endorsements.  He wins one WSM and he is known the world over and is set for life financially.  If he broke every PL world record, half a million people on the youtubes would give a crap.  Everything is relative I guess.

• Like 2

I think axle and thick bar are the original and most popular (from an audience standpoint) grip lifts there are.  Every strongman worth his salt a hundred years ago had a Challenge barbell or dumbbell.  It is pretty much the original introduction of grip into strength sports.  I'm with Joe and Tommy the Texan on this one.  It's pretty much the purest test of grip strength out there.  It's kind of sad to me that it isn't contested as much anymore. 

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Its funny.. literally no one even remotely said this until Tanner arrived. No one. If anyone can find a post that predates Tanners arrival in the sport and stating otherwise, id be glad to be proven wrong.

the Truth is, Tanner is THE only person that applies to on a significant scale. For everyone else, barring funky posterior chain issues, or guys mostly over 200lbs, grip IS the limiting factor.

Strongmen arent using the axle as a deadlift max tool. When most top level strongment pull upwards of 1000lbs on a deadlift for reps, but yet the all time axle record is half of that for a single rep, i would actually staunchly point out that the axle is one of the few implements that still allows us non 400lbers to lift similar weights as the big boys. At least in the same ballpark anyways. It IS a grip implement.

if you directly asked all 900lb + deadlifters what they thought of the axle deadlift, all of them would have a reason to cry about it as well. But for opposite reasons as many here. Their bitch would be “cant go high enough in weight to put in any back work.” So the fact that it is hated on both ends represents to me EXACTLY why it should stay as a contested item in grip. Because it does exactly what its supposed to do. Make those with alleged super full body strength look not so strong.. 

the truth is, the axle IS indeed a grip implement. But far too many haters of it apparently view themselves as having Tanner syndrome. To that i say- “sorry.. there is only 1 Tanner. The rest of you suck at axle because your thickbar numbers are simply not impressive across the board.” Stop trying to validate your sucking at it by claiming your in with Tanner on thickbar. Because your not.

Its so ironic.. the big strong guys bitch about how it doesnt flex, its ridiculous to hang on to, its not a true way to test deadlift strength, etc. its so satisfying hearing crying on both ends. It is the only implement i know of that has such an affect across the board that makes grown men murmer and pout at its mere presence.

i love the axle because it brings the “little bitch boy” cries out in so many athletes. On both sides of the spectrum. 😆!

I agree with Tommy on this. In 2003 when I hosted BFGS, I had some complaints about the farmer's hold. The weight was fairly heavy, I think 275 lbs in each hand? but I cannot remember for sure. The option was given for those who could not pull it from the ground to pull it from blocks, but many guys only held it for a second or two and dropped it. The handles were normal sized and sharp as hell. I do not think the farmers hold for time has been contested again in a contest, but I may be wrong.

Personally I think grip is a strength sport. If you are to compete in it, you should probably be strong all around, not just with your hands. Unless you have a back injury, lifting  275 lbs. in each hand on farmer's walk implements should not be impossible. Holding onto it is a different story, and that is where the grip comes into play.

The axle is a grip exercise. With long enough straps I could easily lift 600+ on the axle because it would take away the grip part of the lift. I don't need the bar to bend, my Jesup bar hardly bends at all when loaded to 600. What stops me from pulling 600 on the axle is my grip strength, plain and simple. For that reason, it is a grip lift. I would be interested in seeing how many people have the hand strength to pull more on an axle, but the limiting factor is the strength of the body. If this is the case, you might want to train your body just a little more.

3 hours ago, climber511 said:

For some Chris it is. It surely is for me. I have zero plans to ever compete again and I have more fun watching my 8-year olds deadlift 2X body weight for reps and crush running backs during football season. I have more fun watching Casey truck kids in 7A ball and get college letters and calls in 9th grade. That is my legacy. I was not born to be 6'8" and 400 lbs. But if I was, you can be damn sure I would take advantage of it and make as much money as I could playing ball or competing in WSM. To not would be a total waste. If you are born with those genetics, you are given a gift. Chances are you are going to die fairly young anyway, so you might as well go out with your family well taken care of, your name forever remembered, and achieving as much as possible!

Just like Richard Sorin has said to me many times, when we leave this realm, all we leave behind is a name. What is the name worth? What is your legacy? Find it, and GO.

4 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

if i could describe a physical posture to properly respond, it would be:

bent over as if looking at a child with hands on knees and brows raised, using an apologetic tone and saying “im sorry nate. Not everyone agrees with you. Is it more pitiful that that (disagreement) is a reality? Or is it more pitiful that you dont like it?”

Since we are saying goodbyes, I do want to make it clear that I appreciate your service for our country.  Very few people have the character and strength to serve.

If you have a suggestion,  let's do it. Everybody is constantly trying to increase competition attendance and it's real slow going.  Nobody is purposely limiting the growth of this tiny sport, it's just not feasible to happen for free.

37 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay, my first suggestion is to simplify and shorten the comps. Namely the implements in them.

stop with the contesting of the odd implements. Ditch flask. Ditch the tops. Keep it simple. Lets show people how much stronger we are than them keeping things primative. Axle. Holds or deds. Plate or pinch curls. A couple challenging blob lifts and stunts. Head to head crush events in last man standing formats. Both hands.

make people realize they can walk up and do this without getting nerdy buying stuff to train on. All they need to bring is strength.

its in the works down here. Everyone will see soon. This isnt me asking advice. Incase anyone is wondering. This is me soliciting everyone to question the same things i do in regards to the sport thus far.

All good points. My 2003 contest saw grippers, 2-hand plate pinch with 2-45s and a bar through them to add more weight, a loadable thick bar, steel bending, and farmers holds for time.

Nothing fancy, and anyone could train for the contest with minimal equipment. Herein lies the problem: odd implements come out to help people make money, IMO. Grip can be as basic as plate pinching a pair of 45s or lifting an axle. As soon as the 2-hand Euro pinch came out, along with the wrist developer at a contest, I knew what was coming. No way was I shelling out hundreds of dollars to get implements to train on just to compete. Nah, I like to keep it simple. Squeeze my adjustable gripper, pinch my 1-hand Sorinex Saxon block, do wrist work, and hoist my axle from time to time. I do not have the space, time, or passion to buy 50 different elements just to see where I stack up against others. I still miss just seeing a contest that involves pinching 2 slick 45 pound plates with a steel pipe through the middle of them, loaded as needed. No way to season it, chance for your hand webbing to get busted open, and the width is the same for everyone.

I am just getting old I guess.

Tommy I'd like to address this but it's an old man's bedtime here in Ohio - I'll work on something tomorrow.  

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay, my first suggestion is to simplify and shorten the comps. Namely the implements in them.

stop with the contesting of the odd implements. Ditch flask. Ditch the tops. Keep it simple. Lets show people how much stronger we are than them keeping things primative. Axle. Holds or deds. Plate or pinch curls. A couple challenging blob lifts and stunts. Head to head crush events in last man standing formats. Both hands.

make people realize they can walk up and do this without getting nerdy buying stuff to train on. All they need to bring is strength.

its in the works down here. Everyone will see soon. This isnt me asking advice. Incase anyone is wondering. This is me soliciting everyone to question the same things i do in regards to the sport thus far.

I honestly dont give a shit what you put in front of me as long as it accessible. Literally anything can be used as a grip device. 

That being said my favorite part of the contest is the medley. All the different stuff makes it fun whether I get it or not. 

Why can’t “grip” get along?  Everything I will say here is my opinion and will no doubt be seen differently by the next person. 

Back in the beginning there was Iron Mind run by Randall Strossen.  He made and then sold the first commercially available grip equipment.  IM had “certs” but did not hold actual competitions.  He became a “name” in the world of strength with friends and influence all through the world of lifting and remains so to this day.  At one point Iron Mind started a forum which went exactly as one would expect any forum to go.  Arguments back and forth about the various aspects of Grip (the forum had many more sections but we are only concerned with one).  Iron Mind had many loyal followers who as well as defending IM – attacked any other organizations criticizing and/or competing with IM.

On the other side were those people who eventually became NAGS.  Wanting to “calibrate” grippers and have events other than those offered by IM.  The “calibration or measuring” of grippers became a huge bone of contention between IM and those of us in what was to become “Grip Sport”.  Giving Randall major credit he never let any of this affect his support of all our contests – donating prizes and equipment to many of us over the years.  Major props to him.

A rift was created – maybe not deliberate but created none the less.   David Horne in England was the driving force in creating a more diverse competition atmosphere – also selling equipment he had designed and had built for retail sales – several of which became mainstays of modern NAGS contests.  His contests were mostly small local affairs.

The other big thing is the way the different factions grew.  Odd took a few of the IM implements and the more mainstream approach because he had all the contacts to do so – both at the big shows and the people he asked were his more famous friends to compete starting out – this allowed more money – fame – and crowd size.  What was to become NAGS went the other way and started having comps with more diverse implements found in peoples garages and gyms and started having contests in small venues and individuals garages – based more on the David Horne model.  We didn’t have the money – contacts – or big names to use to draw large crowds – money – or famous lifters.

So it’s not so much that that the rift was deliberate but the two courses were charted which considered themselves as representing Grip as a Sport were quite different and difficult to align and merge.  Would it be nice if all factions could merge and agree on the way forward – yes it would but the differences are pretty large and the personalities and egos on both sides also would have to be considered?

Contests like the Arnold also have to be looked at but they fall well outside either Arm Lifting or NAGS style contests in my mind.  I have no idea how much they cost or where the money comes from.  They draw out the big guns of the strength world by big cash prizes – travel money – lost work money & other expense monies etc.  Something not available at least to NAGS – not sure about Arm Lifting.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Why can’t “grip” get along?  Everything I will say here is my opinion and will no doubt be seen differently by the next person. 

Back in the beginning there was Iron Mind run by Randall Strossen.  He made and then sold the first commercially available grip equipment.  IM had “certs” but did not hold actual competitions.  He became a “name” in the world of strength with friends and influence all through the world of lifting and remains so to this day.  At one point Iron Mind started a forum which went exactly as one would expect any forum to go.  Arguments back and forth about the various aspects of Grip (the forum had many more sections but we are only concerned with one).  Iron Mind had many loyal followers who as well as defending IM – attacked any other organizations criticizing and/or competing with IM.

On the other side were those people who eventually became NAGS.  Wanting to “calibrate” grippers and have events other than those offered by IM.  The “calibration or measuring” of grippers became a huge bone of contention between IM and those of us in what was to become “Grip Sport”.  Giving Randall major credit he never let any of this affect his support of all our contests – donating prizes and equipment to many of us over the years.  Major props to him.

A rift was created – maybe not deliberate but created none the less.   David Horne in England was the driving force in creating a more diverse competition atmosphere – also selling equipment he had designed and had built for retail sales – several of which became mainstays of modern NAGS contests.  His contests were mostly small local affairs.

The other big thing is the way the different factions grew.  Odd took a few of the IM implements and the more mainstream approach because he had all the contacts to do so – both at the big shows and the people he asked were his more famous friends to compete starting out – this allowed more money – fame – and crowd size.  What was to become NAGS went the other way and started having comps with more diverse implements found in peoples garages and gyms and started having contests in small venues and individuals garages – based more on the David Horne model.  We didn’t have the money – contacts – or big names to use to draw large crowds – money – or famous lifters.

So it’s not so much that that the rift was deliberate but the two courses were charted which considered themselves as representing Grip as a Sport were quite different and difficult to align and merge.  Would it be nice if all factions could merge and agree on the way forward – yes it would but the differences are pretty large and the personalities and egos on both sides also would have to be considered?

Contests like the Arnold also have to be looked at but they fall well outside either Arm Lifting or NAGS style contests in my mind.  I have no idea how much they cost or where the money comes from.  They draw out the big guns of the strength world by big cash prizes – travel money – lost work money & other expense monies etc.  Something not available at least to NAGS – not sure about Arm Lifting.

The best and most succinct history of "gripsport" I've ever read.  Sums it up nicely Chris.

11 minutes ago, climber511 said:

And why would it? Calibrating grippers doesn't hurt gripper sales. If anything, it bolsters them. If a promoter can find six #3s that all calibrate at different numbers, he now has 6-#3s to use in a contest and determine a true winner. Would would IM care? More grippers sold = more profit made.

The issue with not calibrating is this: seven competitors all close your #3 but none close an Elite, or the next gripper up. Now what? Who won? I ran into this problem at BFGS as all I had was a #3 then an elite. A bunch of us closed the #3, so the next best solution to find a winner was to do a timed hold with the #3 because I only had one #3.

Some guys love grippers and own 100s of them. This makes for a good gripper contest because many grippers can be contested and one winner can be found. I have one adjustable RB gripper, so if I ran a contest, it would be tough to find a distinct winner unless someone smashed it closed with both springs clearly above the rest of the crowd.

IM can claim to loathe the grip nerds yet they continue to sell grip implements. Funny how that works. And most people are none the wiser...

22 hours ago, Rick Walker said:

This is 100% spot on. Just because others might enjoy grip and competing in grip, doesn't mean athletes who get paid to compete and win are willing to take a chance on getting hurt (or spend their own money on entry fees, hotels, food, etc.) just to break some obscure records that mean nothing to anyone outside of the sport of grip.

I know this will tick some people off, but no one is leaving a legacy with grip. No one. Win World's Strongest Man and they talk about you forever. Win an Olympic gold medal and your name is immortalized. Have a consistent winning powerlifting career like Ed Coan and you are known as the GOAT and people still pay you for you to do seminars or help them out with their own training. Play a professional sport and you set yourself and your family up for life and as long as you make the roster, you will forever be remembered as a being part of that team. They never have to worry about money again. I think Crossfit athletes even pocket $275,000 if they win the Crossfit World Games and again, the list of winners is an elite list that carries with it legacy. To me arm wrestling is another fringe sport, but those athletes are often treated like celebrities in their countries and again, they win money.

Break some grip records and who cares? A handful of dudes on a forum. No money, no fame, no nothing. It just is not worth it for big time athletes to get involved. If it doesn't pay the bills or bring national fame, the greatest athletes (and strength athletes) will simply not get involved. 

I know there are athletes out there that could make guys who have been gripping for 15-years look weak on some events without ever training them. They are just huge, strong freaks. We will never see them though because they are getting paid millions a year to play a game. Imagine the 6'6" 280 lb tight end who has to report to his head coach that he hurt himself at a grip contest in someone's garage and has to sit out a couple games...soon there would be something in their contract about not competing in strength sports while under contract!

I read this 5 or 6 times.

I don't click on a "Like", nor do I give it an award-winning trophy. I don't do that because the reality is, I may agree with this entire post more than anything posted on this forum. Clicking with a mouse on some doo-dad just does not do this justice.

Edited by Hubgeezer
Left out a word in the last sentence

20 hours ago, Rick Walker said:

And why would it? Calibrating grippers doesn't hurt gripper sales. If anything, it bolsters them. If a promoter can find six #3s that all calibrate at different numbers, he now has 6-#3s to use in a contest and determine a true winner. Would would IM care? More grippers sold = more profit made.

The issue with not calibrating is this: seven competitors all close your #3 but none close an Elite, or the next gripper up. Now what? Who won? I ran into this problem at BFGS as all I had was a #3 then an elite. A bunch of us closed the #3, so the next best solution to find a winner was to do a timed hold with the #3 because I only had one #3.

Some guys love grippers and own 100s of them. This makes for a good gripper contest because many grippers can be contested and one winner can be found. I have one adjustable RB gripper, so if I ran a contest, it would be tough to find a distinct winner unless someone smashed it closed with both springs clearly above the rest of the crowd.

IM can claim to loathe the grip nerds yet they continue to sell grip implements. Funny how that works. And most people are none the wiser...

I wouldn’t run a contest unless I have everything I needed.  Thats just me. Or picked different events with the things I do have.

I dont think its unheard of that contests have a mix of stuff brought by the contestants themselves. No everyone is a Nate or a Jedd. But thats whats awesome. A tribe pooling resources.

Edited by KapMan

2 hours ago, KapMan said:

I wouldn’t run a contest unless I have everything I needed.  Thats just me. Or picked different events with the things I do have.

I dont think its unheard of that contests have a mix of stuff brought by the contestants themselves. No everyone is a Nate or a Jedd. But thats whats awesome. A tribe pooling resources.

I borrow stuff for every contest - and have loaned stuff for many contests.   I want two of everything - one for a comp and one for a warmup bar etc.  I also borrow lots of items for the Medley.  With The Last Gripmas Carol holding the Top 50 events etc - people are bringing lots of things.  One of the things I like about the sport.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I borrow stuff for every contest - and have loaned stuff for many contests.   I want two of everything - one for a comp and one for a warmup bar etc.  I also borrow lots of items for the Medley.  With The Last Gripmas Carol holding the Top 50 events etc - people are bringing lots of things.  One of the things I like about the sport.

I got the extra hammer time ready for you!

1 minute ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I got the extra hammer time ready for you!

Thanks Joe.  I can't believe how much "stuff" this type contest needs!

17 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Thanks Joe.  I can't believe how much "stuff" this type contest needs!

I can’t wait man! To see all the folks I’ve never met!

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

Me too. 

On 11/21/2018 at 7:19 AM, Tommy J. said:

Not so sound like a buzzkill, but who is or has ever promoted grip on a larger scale than Juji? I would say that at this point no one here has grown the sport to any significant measure thus far.

regardless of what fine details in gripsport we’d all like to see better relayed, Juji and Tom are the big boys on the block for getting it out there to more people.

i would advise caution on any ballsy attempt to warden Jujis content. Because Juji could literally make or break us right now if he so chose. He could decide to start his own organization and leave GSI in the dust if he wanted. And he could also pave the way for another huge grip implement company if he wanted. Leaving both our organization AND any implement sales any of us are doing in the dust. 

the first org with decent purses is the one thats gonna set the pace for future growth as far as im concerned. Been saying it for years.. this thing needs money to grow. And we cant get it there by talking about who we think new possible big time promoters should be sucking off. Kind of have to let guys like Juji just do what they do. or risk being shunned by him AND his followers.

but, then again, maybe if our sport approached him politely it could work better in our favor?

catch more flies with honey... as they say.

Sup buddy? I agree that Juji helped grow the sport and expose it to many people. But I don't agree at all with he can make us or break us. Why are you thinking small of us? I have my foot with where my friend (and a brother too) @Jedd Johnson is. Yes it needs money and that is what I am working with few. Few knows about it directly and others indirectly. @kodyburns knows. @LAINE SNOOK , @Juha Harju knows and few others. I have a very busy schedule. I work on many projects. Time is tight for me but slowly I am reaching there. I don't even have enough time to train regular. My plates are full. The first major thing is coming soon. Dubai is a place of chances. We recently had the biggest strongman contest ever with biggest prize money. It's so serious that it might put WSM out of business. Might because the sponsors is not clear about the goals and the returns. I personally know the case. There is no strong financier who loves this sport is behind them. But too much money was involved, the biggest strongman prize money which puts Arnold's to shame. Every top athlete participated. Imagine a strongman being banned from this? Not cool. So my point is, this can be more with a better financier since Dubai is more than capable. The money is there, and the right connections with the right people, businessmen and government helps. MY contribution to this (and more than you can ever imagine) is firstly to build the world largest sports mall. Almost one of a kind. Here in my hometown in Dubai. Once gone live the biggest grip contest will be held there for sure. More to come of course. My projects are slowly coming but surely as per schedule. And all this is only tip of the ice berg. I'll leave you guys with links https://www.timeoutdubai.com/news/390525-worlds-largest-sports-mall-to-open-in-dubai   https://www.khaleejtimes.com/nation/dubai/dubai-to-have-worlds-largest-sports-mall   https://lovindubai.com/announcements/dubai-is-getting-the-worlds-largest-commercial-sports-mall   http://www.sportindustryseries.com/sports-industry-insider/sport-society-will-give-dubai-worlds-largest-sports-mall/   http://dubaiofw.com/sports-society-largest-sports-mall/   http://www.constructionweekonline.com/article-50711-dubai-to-open-worlds-largest-sports-mall-in-2020/   https://www.weetas.com/gccnews/viva-city-sport-society/   http://www.gulftoday.ae/portal/31f7728c-7eaf-4e0f-8055-d87de6331d8a.aspx   http://www.sportsociety.com/   

As per our auditors KPMG the news reached to 28,000,000 people in the Middle East and North Africa in one week time. This is good indication. The small grip toys like moon top and others are fun. But to be easy sports, easy to judge, things should be easier. One of my other plans if successful I will try to make this sports into the Olympics one day. But standarisation is the key which I am slowly but surely working on it. As for grip not being famous before Juji, I also don't agree because Brian Shaw was a grip guy before he knew who Juji was. But yes Juji loves grip and helped grip reach to many of his followers. Juji seems to be a fine gentleman. @climber511 please forgive me if I didn't make it to gripmas, as you see my hands so full. But surely coming there to visit you my friend (plus many other things). Still planning to come to the gripmas.

On 11/21/2018 at 8:16 AM, AKJV1769 said:

I put him in touch with James Retarides (and if you are following Juji) they made that series on armwrestling instruction, which was just dynamite. 

Saw this and thought it was cool.

On 11/22/2018 at 5:53 PM, 2sweetdadstrength said:

I love what Juji does with his channel (keep it different from the other fitness blogs and invite cool guests.)  I wonder how the community would accept someone like Brian showing up to a grip contest and crushing every world record though.

This really disturbs me. Why is someone afraid and not willing for strong people to compete in there sport?

On 11/23/2018 at 3:06 AM, climber511 said:

Off topic completely but I thought I was doing a pretty good job putting down some food today until I saw this

Seriously?

MAde me hungry tbh and I just had my lunch.

On 11/23/2018 at 7:09 PM, Climber028 said:

He used to awhile back but his diet is much cleaner since working with Stan Efferding. 

Yep

On 11/23/2018 at 7:30 PM, Wannagrip said:

He eats a HUGE amount of red meat. Contrary to what Stan is pushing (actually see plenty of studies out there too) with the red meat, it should NOT be the diet to dominate eating all those saturated fats.  Especially if you have heart disease running in your family.

Doesn't Stan promotes red meat being healthy and says that is a myth of the past of it being harmful?

On 11/24/2018 at 7:03 PM, Tommy J. said:

As far as the NAGS axle record, yes i can see maybe a few strongmen not taking it serious. Its not heavy enough. Which is frustrating AF because i know a guy personally i think can smash the overall NAGS axle record if he just did it.. 

On another note, i bet all those same strongmen take Mike Burkes axle record serious.. which also happens to not be on any NAGS lists. Due only to politics. I repeat, politics. Politics are the sole reason Mike Burkes axle record isnt listed on the NAGS site. Its not like the comp he did it in had different rules for axle ded than any NAGS comp axle rules. DO, no hook grip, genuine axle used, only chalk used, etc. why would the NAGS list shun that record if not for politics? The dude has the undisputed overall axle record, and we are holding out adding his name because his comps promoter didnt check with NAGS first?

Thats the rundown on that incase anyone reading isnt aware.

and people are confused as to why this thing wont grow?.. jusssayin’

Btw i agreed with Nates comments earlier on the gripsport current competition making a ferocious comeback on the records if any strongmen break them.. but i change my mind. Using like the only strongman grip record as proof. The axle.. set by Mike Burke. And since it has been set, not a single person here has even been close enough to attempt to catch it. Let alone take it back with ferocity. So nate, i take it back. I dont agree. All the proof i need to see that is false is in the pudding.

until someone here has the nuts to step up and beat Mikes axle record, im going to continue to assume the strongmen will run this sport over if they so choose. Because obviously we dont have any other legit grip official comp lifts to compare us to strongmen. Other than the axle and the RT. Of which has also been dominated by pro strongmen. Until some recent cries for a record removal anyways..

yep. On another tear. Lets try and air it out without the thread being nannied this time.

I agree. Strongmen will dominate the Axle records. A question, how many gripboard members here can deadlift conventional or sumo 500 pounds on a normal bar? Let alone an axle. Not many I bet. Yes yes  I know those people are the strongest on earth and they use "help" and so on. But they still dominate that part.

On 11/24/2018 at 7:22 PM, climber511 said:

Tommy the same thing goes on between the various Power Lifting federations all the time.  Lifts done in one contest are only good for that organization - and yes it's politics but it's also a tool used by organizations to bring people in to compete in contests thrown by those groups.  Do I think Shaw (or Burke in his prime) could come to Gripmas and make a big splash - of course I do, he might splash all the water out of the pool  - but until that happens I'll continue to say what i always have about "Grip Sport" like what we do.  It's the last strength sport for the "normal man" - and I'll be honest and say I view that as a good thing.  Everything in strength sports should not be about 450# monsters lifting on the main stage of the Arnold - there should be a place for the regular guy to go - compete - and have a chance to do well and be recognised for it.  And if calling our "records" out as something less than what a few "Professional" lifters can do - I'm OK with that.  I'm old enough to remember the Olympics when professional athletes were not allowed in - maybe that's where we are today with grip - and maybe that's where we should be for now?

Can you explain the bold part to me sir?

On 11/24/2018 at 7:43 PM, Tommy J. said:

I disagree.

golf is a normal man sport. Fishing is a normal man sport. Hunting is a normal man sport. Those are sports that in no way can a super strong person accell at at any noticable rate than not strong participants.

im borderline sick of hearing grip compared to powerlifting. Powerlifting started as 1 group, then grew, then branched off to different feds over hair splitting.

grip has never had a branching off of any substantial amount of promoters and athletes. I think it tries to act like it has, but its not what really happened. What we have here is one group trying to tell the others that they should form with the “original” group, or risk not having lifts recognized.

maybe its high time for some gripsport history to get out in the open?

NAGS, why does Odd not check with you guys before he does a comp? Or Mighty Mitts? Or Armlifting? Etc.?

before any different grip feds get compared to the powerlifting divide again, can NAGS please clear the air for everyone why this phenomenon occurs?

Agree here again. Guys we should get offended if someone is speaking the truth. We love our sport, grip sport. We met here because of it. So let's do favor to the sport and make it grow.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:19 PM, Tommy J. said:

Im frustrated right now.. i get this notion all of a sudden the strongest out there dont take gripsport seriously. It would appear more so that NAGS is not taken seriously by stronger competition. Hints- the brutes have really only competed in Mighty Mitts and Armlifting and Odds comps.

ive noticed it for years, but i guess never thought to say it outloud till now. But i dont feel terrible about the delay.. because it seems no one else has been eager to discuss it either.

my questions are why is it this way, and is it intentional by NAGS to keep those competitors out?

if so, then WTF?

if not, then how can we make our comps interesting to stronger competition? Besides more money of course.

I do like NAGS. Always have. It appears though that new possible big time media guys like Juji might not take us very serious. Why else the joke of a grip world record vid by him? What message does that send to his viewers about how serious (or not it seems) a grip comp might be?

I do think Juji is genuine with his interest in grip. But at this point it seems he is either only aware of Ironmind records, or he doesnt like what he sees with NAGS.

all this may or may not be overly speculative by me thus far. But i do have genuine concerns here.. i see a big opportunity to grow the sport in that guy. And if NAGS doesnt capitalize, another org might!

Been saying this for years. We need money and a smart plan to move forward. Small event and standard big events.

On 11/24/2018 at 10:19 PM, climber511 said:

No one has ever paid me for anything except to work (and my job was never lifting) so I never expected anything else.  This attitude enters into the "Professional" realm I talked about above.  I don't see it as a good or bad thing - just a thing different than the 15 years I have been in Grip Sport.  I've already spent more than I brought in in entry fees.

Chris, you and I do things for the love of it. Many of us here do. But others aren't the same.

On 11/24/2018 at 11:22 PM, Lucasraymond said:

I'm not sure if Juji even is aware of NAGS records hoonestly because he is comparing the IM blockbuster record using a totally different handle. For example; the 3"x4" adjustable pinch block (in the video) that I make has a sharper edge and better texture than the 3"x6" blockbuster (just the nature of the way the steel is created) so they are slightly different and you should expect a higher number on the slightly less rounded one. So it is a 3" wide pinch but not exactly the same. Also of all the people that Juji has been in front of to try to the grip implements, only Brian Shaw has been able to come close or break to Harri's BB record; the rock climber Mitbo? braced the thumb side of it against his leg lifting 110lbs by doing so (we all could do that with that assistance). I could understand that Brian has bigger fish to fry but what I don't understand is why someone like Rich Williams isn't willing to make a trip to the Arnold to break the record bc until he does it's only speculation on whether he can or not despite posting multiple videos of higher weighted lifts. 

Because he is afraid of not doing it. The weights he lifts must be calibrated first. Then his plates aren't tight and are loose. They spin like nothing. @Mikael Siversson agree's with me here. Who knows what he used besides chalk? He was invited for FREE to come to my place. Free flight, free hotel, and free food. Of course enjoying Dubai too. He claimed he will clean the Millennium after asking him. And claimed he is stronger than all. He didn't come. Then blocked me on Facebook over an argument that he wanted me to say I know he lifted the Millennium bell which is a totally false statement. His nemesis for some reason is @LAINE SNOOK. He seems hostile towards people asking him. Anyway, that is his loss. But yes he is very strong guy. But I believe he is afraid to fail hence not showing up to comps and getting injured before them (twice or once it happened this year I believe).

On 11/25/2018 at 12:00 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

I have messaged him (Rich Williams) multiple times with zero reply on why he does not go and break the Ironmind axle record. No response has ever been given 

You won't get. See my reply above this.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:08 AM, Boulderbrew said:

Must be an ego thing. He and all of us are PRETTY sure he would break the records....but if he didn’t maybe he would feel defeated. He may just be the type of dude that doesn’t like all the pressure 

While I do appreciate your opinion but not everyone is pretty sure he would do it. Can he? He might if he trains. But as for me as I can speak on myself, not now.

On 11/25/2018 at 12:26 AM, KapMan said:

All about money in the end.

For growing the sport yes. It should be something fun to watch for it to have a RETURN ON INVESTMENT (ROI). Like football (or you guys say soccer) or boxing. There are tons of fans out there. In billions of KG. This attract more money to the investors and the people doing the sport.

On 11/25/2018 at 1:22 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

101% agreed!

On 11/25/2018 at 1:45 AM, KapMan said:

I disagree. Being able to train, eat, and compete rests solely on money.  Thats why these “elite” guys shill for sup companies and stuff. 

Shit aint cheap. 

Hmmm yep on growing the sport.

On 11/25/2018 at 3:31 AM, Tommy J. said:

Anyone who disagree's with this should be open minded and see the truth here. Of course axle is a grip test, what else is it? Anyone disagreeing should show us his max on a normal bar and an axle assuming he already trains his back and grip.

On 11/25/2018 at 3:36 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

It is a grip implement in its most raw and primitive form. A fat bar lifted for max weight. Can’t get anymore grip related than that. I love it and for the exact reasons you just mentioned, Tommy. How that 940 pound deadlifter could barely lift 340 on an axle is awesome.

Yep!

On 11/25/2018 at 3:50 AM, Tommy J. said:

Either that or hes maybe using some kind of cheat to make his hands stick to the axle on his home vid lifts?

this seems baffling to me as well. Its anyones guess really until Rich clears the air.

does anyone have any video of how he did on the mighty mitts thickbar events compared to Burke? That may or may not be telling to study.

I don't think he cheats. But afraid to not accomplish. I don't like his attitude for being hostile to people who ask him questions. He blocked @LAINE SNOOK when he knew Laine can do better than him in a certain grip lift. He is touched by some movies, series or cartoons and likes to train alone calls himself a lone-wolf and break record in his own realm where everything revolves around him. He belittles other accomplishments too saying I am great and the strongest and that person is a cheat, other is bad. His attitude will cost him to not being invited to some places or comps with larger prize money.

Sorry for the long post fellas!

• Like 4

Alawadhi

I'm old enough to remember the Olympics when professional athletes were not allowed in - maybe that's where we are today with grip - and maybe that's where we should be for now?

1988 was the first year in which professional athletes were allowed to openly compete in the Olympics.  Before that only people considered "amateurs" were allowed.  So for example the basketball teams were not made up of pro ball players until then.  It was considered a very big deal when it was going on. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, climber511 said:

Alawadhi

I'm old enough to remember the Olympics when professional athletes were not allowed in - maybe that's where we are today with grip - and maybe that's where we should be for now?

1988 was the first year in which professional athletes were allowed to openly compete in the Olympics.  Before that only people considered "amateurs" were allowed.  So for example the basketball teams were not made up of pro ball players until then.  It was considered a very big deal when it was going on. 

Is that even possible? Wow! But the records were close to same. It is getting better but those amateurs were great!