Brian Shaw, Jujimufu and the hub lift

John McCarter

Yeah that was a challenge video for hitting 250k subscriptions and he mentions at the end how it was a miserable experience. I'm sure he does probably eat around 10k+ calories a day. I can eat around 4-6k and I weigh almost a 100lbs less then him. I doubt he will want to say at that size for long term either. If you look at previous WSM winners they tend to lose a lot of size when they retire. I mean just look at big z and the weight he lost. Being a professional athlete in any regard is probably not good for your long term health. I mean just trying to get bigger and stronger is also probably not good for long term health. I worked for a mortuary company contracted with the local coroners office for several years and it really taught me that life can be taken at any moment regardless of how well you try to prevent it. So you shouldn't live in fear of that but instead pursue things in life that bring you the most happiness. He seems to really enjoy his life and by all accounts is a great ambassador for strength sports. Image result for zydrunas savickas

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

His sheer size and height are working against him, period. Even if it's all the muscle (which it is of course not). Go Google the # of strongmen who have died young.  

So many strongmen  die young. Being classified as morbidly obese and eating such a vast amount of unhealthy food will be a hindrance no matter how strong one gets. Our bodies are not made to be 450 pounds. Plus the other things that go into it. It’s fun for a while, but ultimately, the toll gets collected in the long run if the lifestyle of over indulgence is prolonged.   I don’t think anyone can dispute that.

Please stay on topic.  This thread is not the place to debate anything about religion. 

You may certainly continue to discuss the impact of a life-time of over-indulgence and/or the horrors of eating processed foods.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This has been an interesting turn of events. My original intent with the thread was to highlight both Brian and Juji's attempts with the hub and all that was attempted in that said video, from what I understand they have been building up to a grip-together for some months now. I was unaware of the challenge video for the 25,000 cals, that is just way too much and should be discussed in a thread separate from this one.

Eddie Hall has lost some weight recently too, but yeah, new thread for that.

On topic, the exposure is cool but they should be able to do better on structure and editing. Only a grip nerd is going to watch that whole thing (yes, I watched it) but they could pare that down to 10 minutes or less.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Eddie Hall has lost some weight recently too, but yeah, new thread for that.

On topic, the exposure is cool but they should be able to do better on structure and editing. Only a grip nerd is going to watch that whole thing (yes, I watched it) but they could pare that down to 10 minutes or less.

All of their videos are way too long. 

21 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

All of their videos are way too long. 

I actually like the long videos. I’ll treat it like a TV show. I’ll watch an episode of theirs while eating breakfast instead of watching south park or whatever 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

I actually like the long videos. I’ll treat it like a TV show. I’ll watch an episode of theirs while eating breakfast instead of watching south park or whatever 

They are good if you have time to watch them so long. I like to look for the parts with the lifting, which sometimes is very spread out. Just don’t have time to sit and watch the whole things 

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Did it come off to anyone else like maybe they kind of trolled the sport a bit?.. with the soap blob, the lemon squeezing and the clowning on records keeping?

maybe im looking a bit too far into it, but it sort of looked like a passive aggressive way to clown the sport?

thoughts?

I’ll have to watch the whole thing....

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Did it come off to anyone else like maybe they kind of trolled the sport a bit?.. with the soap blob, the lemon squeezing and the clowning on records keeping?

maybe im looking a bit too far into it, but it sort of looked like a passive aggressive way to clown the sport?

thoughts?

i think they did and do some in other videos as well.  Nothing obvious but I think it's about the things we call "World Records" that Brian (and in the case of the Axle) other Pro Strongmen routinely lift more than it.  But the same can be said of the records in other lifting sports as well.  It comes down to one thing really - If you want to hold a NAGS or any other organization "record" you have to play the game and show up at one of their competitions and do it there - not in the gym hanging out with your bros.

• Like 1

I quit following Brian Shaw. He's 400+ lbs of solid muscle yet gives credit to the supplements. He's a shill.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

As far as the NAGS axle record, yes i can see maybe a few strongmen not taking it serious. Its not heavy enough. Which is frustrating AF because i know a guy personally i think can smash the overall NAGS axle record if he just did it.. 

On another note, i bet all those same strongmen take Mike Burkes axle record serious.. which also happens to not be on any NAGS lists. Due only to politics. I repeat, politics. Politics are the sole reason Mike Burkes axle record isnt listed on the NAGS site. Its not like the comp he did it in had different rules for axle ded than any NAGS comp axle rules. DO, no hook grip, genuine axle used, only chalk used, etc. why would the NAGS list shun that record if not for politics? The dude has the undisputed overall axle record, and we are holding out adding his name because his comps promoter didnt check with NAGS first?

Thats the rundown on that incase anyone reading isnt aware.

and people are confused as to why this thing wont grow?.. jusssayin’

Btw i agreed with Nates comments earlier on the gripsport current competition making a ferocious comeback on the records if any strongmen break them.. but i change my mind. Using like the only strongman grip record as proof. The axle.. set by Mike Burke. And since it has been set, not a single person here has even been close enough to attempt to catch it. Let alone take it back with ferocity. So nate, i take it back. I dont agree. All the proof i need to see that is false is in the pudding.

until someone here has the nuts to step up and beat Mikes axle record, im going to continue to assume the strongmen will run this sport over if they so choose. Because obviously we dont have any other legit grip official comp lifts to compare us to strongmen. Other than the axle and the RT. Of which has also been dominated by pro strongmen. Until some recent cries for a record removal anyways..

yep. On another tear. Lets try and air it out without the thread being nannied this time.

Fat chance bro. 

Tommy the same thing goes on between the various Power Lifting federations all the time.  Lifts done in one contest are only good for that organization - and yes it's politics but it's also a tool used by organizations to bring people in to compete in contests thrown by those groups.  Do I think Shaw (or Burke in his prime) could come to Gripmas and make a big splash - of course I do, he might splash all the water out of the pool  - but until that happens I'll continue to say what i always have about "Grip Sport" like what we do.  It's the last strength sport for the "normal man" - and I'll be honest and say I view that as a good thing.  Everything in strength sports should not be about 450# monsters lifting on the main stage of the Arnold - there should be a place for the regular guy to go - compete - and have a chance to do well and be recognised for it.  And if calling our "records" out as something less than what a few "Professional" lifters can do - I'm OK with that.  I'm old enough to remember the Olympics when professional athletes were not allowed in - maybe that's where we are today with grip - and maybe that's where we should be for now?

• Like 1

On my FB page a while back Nick Rosendaul (who is friends with Rich Williams, mentions to Rich he should come to Gripmas.  Rich's response was "what - I have to pay money to compete and there is no prize money?" - he then went on to mention travel money and lost work money.  These guys are used to someone like the Arnold picking up their expenses and offering big possible prize money.  NAGS is a long way from being able to do that.  I understand Rich's response completely but we "normal" guys have never been and never will be treated that way.  Oh The Last Gripmas Carol is having an "Armlifting" section arranged by Mike Saffel this year along with everything else I'm having for what that's worth.  So there's that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, climber511 said:

On my FB page a while back Nick Rosendaul (who is friends with Rich Williams, mentions to Rich he should come to Gripmas.  Rich's response was "what - I have to pay money to compete and there is no prize money?" - he then went on to mention travel money and lost work money.  These guys are used to someone like the Arnold picking up their expenses and offering big possible prize money.  NAGS is a long way from being able to do that.  I understand Rich's response completely but we "normal" guys have never been and never will be treated that way.  Oh The Last Gripmas Carol is having an "Armlifting" section arranged by Mike Saffel this year along with everything else I'm having for what that's worth.  So there's that.

So true. A lot of folks don’t care because there is no money or prizes. I’ve had a few tell me that just this week that talk to me on IG. They are interested in grip, but not at their own expense out of pocket with no return on their investment 

30 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

So true. A lot of folks don’t care because there is no money or prizes. I’ve had a few tell me that just this week that talk to me on IG. They are interested in grip, but not at their own expense out of pocket with no return on their investment 

No one has ever paid me for anything except to work (and my job was never lifting) so I never expected anything else.  This attitude enters into the "Professional" realm I talked about above.  I don't see it as a good or bad thing - just a thing different than the 15 years I have been in Grip Sport.  I've already spent more than I brought in in entry fees.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Im frustrated right now.. i get this notion all of a sudden the strongest out there dont take gripsport seriously. It would appear more so that NAGS is not taken seriously by stronger competition. Hints- the brutes have really only competed in Mighty Mitts and Armlifting and Odds comps.

ive noticed it for years, but i guess never thought to say it outloud till now. But i dont feel terrible about the delay.. because it seems no one else has been eager to discuss it either.

my questions are why is it this way, and is it intentional by NAGS to keep those competitors out?

if so, then WTF?

if not, then how can we make our comps interesting to stronger competition? Besides more money of course.

I do like NAGS. Always have. It appears though that new possible big time media guys like Juji might not take us very serious. Why else the joke of a grip world record vid by him? What message does that send to his viewers about how serious (or not it seems) a grip comp might be?

I do think Juji is genuine with his interest in grip. But at this point it seems he is either only aware of Ironmind records, or he doesnt like what he sees with NAGS.

all this may or may not be overly speculative by me thus far. But i do have genuine concerns here.. i see a big opportunity to grow the sport in that guy. And if NAGS doesnt capitalize, another org might!

I'm not sure if Juji even is aware of NAGS records hoonestly because he is comparing the IM blockbuster record using a totally different handle. For example; the 3"x4" adjustable pinch block (in the video) that I make has a sharper edge and better texture than the 3"x6" blockbuster (just the nature of the way the steel is created) so they are slightly different and you should expect a higher number on the slightly less rounded one. So it is a 3" wide pinch but not exactly the same. Also of all the people that Juji has been in front of to try to the grip implements, only Brian Shaw has been able to come close or break to Harri's BB record; the rock climber Mitbo? braced the thumb side of it against his leg lifting 110lbs by doing so (we all could do that with that assistance). I could understand that Brian has bigger fish to fry but what I don't understand is why someone like Rich Williams isn't willing to make a trip to the Arnold to break the record bc until he does it's only speculation on whether he can or not despite posting multiple videos of higher weighted lifts. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

I'm not sure if Juji even is aware of NAGS records hoonestly because he is comparing the IM blockbuster record using a totally different handle. For example; the 3"x4" adjustable pinch block (in the video) that I make has a sharper edge and better texture than the 3"x6" blockbuster (just the nature of the way the steel is created) so they are slightly different and you should expect a higher number on the slightly less rounded one. So it is a 3" wide pinch but not exactly the same. Also of all the people that Juji has been in front of to try to the grip implements, only Brian Shaw has been able to come close or break to Harri's BB record; the rock climber Mitbo? braced the thumb side of it against his leg lifting 110lbs by doing so (we all could do that with that assistance). I could understand that Brian has bigger fish to fry but what I don't understand is why someone like Rich Williams isn't willing to make a trip to the Arnold to break the record bc until he does it's only speculation on whether he can or not despite posting multiple videos of higher weighted lifts. 

I have messaged him (Rich Williams) multiple times with zero reply on why he does not go and break the Ironmind axle record. No response has ever been given 

44 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

I don't understand is why someone like Rich Williams isn't willing to make a trip to the Arnold to break the record bc until he does it's only speculation on whether he can or not despite posting multiple videos of higher weighted lifts. 

Must be an ego thing. He and all of us are PRETTY sure he would break the records....but if he didn’t maybe he would feel defeated. He may just be the type of dude that doesn’t like all the pressure 

4 minutes ago, KapMan said:

All about money in the end.

This is 100% spot on. Just because others might enjoy grip and competing in grip, doesn't mean athletes who get paid to compete and win are willing to take a chance on getting hurt (or spend their own money on entry fees, hotels, food, etc.) just to break some obscure records that mean nothing to anyone outside of the sport of grip.

I know this will tick some people off, but no one is leaving a legacy with grip. No one. Win World's Strongest Man and they talk about you forever. Win an Olympic gold medal and your name is immortalized. Have a consistent winning powerlifting career like Ed Coan and you are known as the GOAT and people still pay you for you to do seminars or help them out with their own training. Play a professional sport and you set yourself and your family up for life and as long as you make the roster, you will forever be remembered as a being part of that team. They never have to worry about money again. I think Crossfit athletes even pocket $275,000 if they win the Crossfit World Games and again, the list of winners is an elite list that carries with it legacy. To me arm wrestling is another fringe sport, but those athletes are often treated like celebrities in their countries and again, they win money.

Break some grip records and who cares? A handful of dudes on a forum. No money, no fame, no nothing. It just is not worth it for big time athletes to get involved. If it doesn't pay the bills or bring national fame, the greatest athletes (and strength athletes) will simply not get involved. 

I know there are athletes out there that could make guys who have been gripping for 15-years look weak on some events without ever training them. They are just huge, strong freaks. We will never see them though because they are getting paid millions a year to play a game. Imagine the 6'6" 280 lb tight end who has to report to his head coach that he hurt himself at a grip contest in someone's garage and has to sit out a couple games...soon there would be something in their contract about not competing in strength sports while under contract!

• Like 1