Brian Shaw, Jujimufu and the hub lift

John McCarter

Haven't really kept up with this youtuber for a bit. I thought it was interesting seeing Brian and Juji attempt the hub lift, they do poke fun at how my stance was when I attempted/broke the record but even Brian is having a hard time getting it. Hub lifting starts around 10:47. The real question I have to ask is what would happen if Brian and I met up for a hub showdown.

• Like 5

I think Brian effort makes it clear how ridiculous your record lift was.

• Like 4

I watched this video yesterday and chuckled at that part with your stance

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Anthony C. said:

I watched this video yesterday and chuckled at that part with your stance

Yeah that was funny

Jujimufu is a god-send for the grip community.  He deserves more credit for promoting grip.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Balal said:

Jujimufu is a god-send for the grip community.  He deserves more credit for promoting grip.

I think what he's doing is great...but credit should go to all who help grip grow.  I hope that his promotion leads to that end.

• Like 2

I love the fact that they started by using their brand pinch block but then switched to mine. Also they want $106 for a pinch block and loading pin that can only be used at the 3” width. Oh well let people overpay by a lot!

26 minutes ago, Lucasraymond said:

I love the fact that they started by using their brand pinch block but then switched to mine. Also they want $106 for a pinch block and loading pin that can only be used at the 3” width. Oh well let people overpay by a lot!

Yeah, they are very expensive! 

John McCarter: "The real question I have to ask is what would happen if Brian and I met up for a hub showdown."

^^My Comment: Personally I would love to see this happen. I was the one that originally contacted Juji regarding our grip group in NC: The Charlotte Pickup Artists. I put him in touch with James Retarides (and if you are following Juji) they made that series on armwrestling instruction, which was just dynamite. I was at Juji's garage/house a few weeks back when he had the armwrestling comp. He is an incredibly cool guy and actually very teachable and humble. I showed him a lot of stuff on various implements he had in his garage and how to take care of his grippers and he was nothing but grateful. I think he would be very open to a grip hub comp between John M. and Brain Shaw, as I could only see that being a huge draw based on the response he is getting from all his grip related videos.

Edited by AKJV1769
  • Like 6

I love what Juji does with his channel (keep it different from the other fitness blogs and invite cool guests.)  I wonder how the community would accept someone like Brian showing up to a grip contest and crushing every world record though.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, 2sweetdadstrength said:

I love what Juji does with his channel (keep it different from the other fitness blogs and invite cool guests.)  I wonder how the community would accept someone like Brian showing up to a grip contest and crushing every world record though.

There is always going to be some resentment existing as a niche sport grows...but the fact is that Brian isn't coming off the street to "crush every world record".  Ignoring obvious physical attributes...he has been training for years to reach the very pinnacle of raw strength and power.

Posts that discussed strongman have been made for years and frankly its been nice to end such speculation...as Brian publically dives into grip implements.

I actually believe the very elite at grip would welcome a new challenge to chase...as most know its hard to be the one constantly pushing the envelope.

In an ideal world, when Brian retires from full time strongman...he could move directly to grip and not lose a beat.  Think Odd Haugen Part 2.

If Brian does enter some comps and raises the bar...I believe within 2-3 years he would be fighting to retain those records...because those already in grip will respond...fiercely.

• Like 3

Off topic completely but I thought I was doing a pretty good job putting down some food today until I saw this

Seriously?

Edited by climber511
  • Like 2

Yeah,  well the clock is ticking for Brian if he continues what he is doing at his size and bodyweight.  Just my 2 cents.  Adding in this junk (literally) isn't gonna help either.   

He seems intelligent to me.  I'd guess when his competitive career is over we'll see something of a downsize.  

• Like 1

Just now, Allen Heineck said:

He seems intelligent to me.  I'd guess when his competitive career is over we'll see something of a downsize.  

We'll see how long he lives period. Being 6'8 is already a disadvantage -- an advantage for strongman and basketball but not longevity.  Will he be yet another strongman who dies young?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, climber511 said:

Off topic completely but I thought I was doing a pretty good job putting down some food today until I saw this

Seriously?

Man. This is not cool. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Wannagrip said:

Yeah,  well the clock is ticking for Brian if he continues what he is doing at his size and bodyweight.  Just my 2 cents.  Adding in this junk (literally) isn't gonna help either.   

I honestly dont think he eats those types of foods everyday. Id lime to think he’s smarter then that. I do believe he crushes buffets though..

1 minute ago, KapMan said:

I honestly dont think he eats those types of foods everyday. Id lime to think he’s smarter then that. I do believe he crushes buffets though..

He used to awhile back but his diet is much cleaner since working with Stan Efferding. 

• Like 1

I don't think is his normal diet either - but it would be interesting to see what normal is for a 450# Professional Strongman.  I don't think it looks like what most of us eat in a day,

26 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

He used to awhile back but his diet is much cleaner since working with Stan Efferding. 

He eats a HUGE amount of red meat. Contrary to what Stan is pushing (actually see plenty of studies out there too) with the red meat, it should NOT be the diet to dominate eating all those saturated fats.  Especially if you have heart disease running in your family.

• Like 2

His sheer size and height are working against him, period. Even if it's all the muscle (which it is of course not). Go Google the # of strongmen who have died young.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wannagrip said:

He eats a HUGE amount of red meat. Contrary to what Stan is pushing (actually see plenty of studies out there too) with the red meat, it should NOT be the diet to dominate eating all those saturated fats.  Especially if you have heart disease running in your family.

Saturated fat doesn't cause heart disease,  oxidized fats do. There's no link between red meat and heart disease,  the flawed studies don't make any distinction between a nice pastured steak and McDonald's cheeseburger so it doesn't demonstrate any causality.

• Like 2

As I've aged I have tried to eat more "healthy" but you can find a study to support nearly any way of eating you enjoy.  At least part of it comes down to quantity I think no matter what you eat   Nothing one can do about your height but being huge with muscle, fat - or both probably isn't the best thing from a purely health aspect.  But it does seem to work for "strong".  And more and more I am coming to see stress - mental and/or physical beyond a certain point as a not so good idea for longevity.   

• Like 3