Wrist strength and its effect on crushing power

MarkusA93

38 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

Trust me Joe, I'd like to, I'm inspired by your sledge videos and I'm gonna buy one and start doing some volume. The problem is that my wrists swell from inside the next day after movements that load my wrist. I'm not saying that my wrist is weak, it's not, but I am in pain for almost 3 years now and it's driving me insane. I can't box, nor wrestle, I haven't put my palms flat on the floor in years because of it (everything is done on fists)... If I go to the doctor, they will probably operate on it, and that might make it even worse in the long run. I also tried training trough the pain, but it makes it a lot worse.  

So pain in inhibiting your wrist? That is terrible. You would most likely be even stronger if you could utilize the wrist. That would ruin my day man.

3 hours ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

Trust me Joe, I'd like to, I'm inspired by your sledge videos and I'm gonna buy one and start doing some volume. The problem is that my wrists swell from inside the next day after movements that load my wrist. I'm not saying that my wrist is weak, it's not, but I am in pain for almost 3 years now and it's driving me insane. I can't box, nor wrestle, I haven't put my palms flat on the floor in years because of it (everything is done on fists)... If I go to the doctor, they will probably operate on it, and that might make it even worse in the long run. I also tried training trough the pain, but it makes it a lot worse.  

Have you tried Jedd's Fix my Wrist Pain Course?

There was one movement in there that made an immediate difference for me, though I only had major pain in one wrist.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, svr said:

Have you tried Jedd's Fix my Wrist Pain Course?

There was one movement in there that made an immediate difference for me, though I only had major pain in one wrist.

No Sean, I didn't, but I'm going to give it a look, and Jedd knows his stuff. I don't have major pain while training, it's more like something is wrong inside. My right wrist clicks 3-5 times when I move my ulna, and on my left wrist I think my ulnar collateral ligament is torn 100%, since my ulna moves like 1 cm when pushed. 

3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

So pain in inhibiting your wrist? That is terrible. You would most likely be even stronger if you could utilize the wrist. That would ruin my day man.

The problem is the morning after where my wrists are hurting and they are swollen from the inside, and my movement is inhibited, and I'm only 25. That's why I'm dissuaded to train my wrists, since I don't want to make it worse, because I'm able to do about 80% of the things I want to do. But I have a feeling that sledge levering might help, but starting very light and focusing on volume.

1 hour ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

No Sean, I didn't, but I'm going to give it a look, and Jedd knows his stuff. I don't have major pain while training, it's more like something is wrong inside. My right wrist clicks 3-5 times when I move my ulna, and on my left wrist I think my ulnar collateral ligament is torn 100%, since my ulna moves like 1 cm when pushed. 

The problem is the morning after where my wrists are hurting and they are swollen from the inside, and my movement is inhibited, and I'm only 25. That's why I'm dissuaded to train my wrists, since I don't want to make it worse, because I'm able to do about 80% of the things I want to do. But I have a feeling that sledge levering might help, but starting very light and focusing on volume.

I feel like sledge levering puts a ton of akward pressure especially on the ulnar-carpal ligaments.  I Would personally recommend starting with isometrics.  Holds for 30s with the sledgehammer at the side of your body to the front-resisting radial deviation and to the back-resisting ulnar deviation.  Maybe some very light pronation/supination.  Theres a good chance you just have a mis alignment also.  If you have a good chiropractor in your area i would recommend that also. There is a chance something just needs to be realigned.  Especially since you mentioned boxing that can easily cause things to move out of place.  I had something similar happen.

I also like the expand your hand bands.  I do regular finger extension.  Then I do sets where I hold the fingers in the extended position and flex and extend my wrist.  Then I do sets where I hold the fingers in the extended position and pronate / supinate my wrist.

I actually did some, with a mop :) For 20 reps, 5 sets, and it didn't really bother me. Ulnar and radial deviation doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me the most is wrist flexion and resisting flexion (for example, barbell biceps curl) and rotational movements that are flexion oriented (like a hook in armwrestling). 

My father is actually a chiropractor and a physical therapist, but he takes my condition lightly since I'm constantly training like a madman, and I'm also pretty educated on the topic, so it's a deeper issue. I adjust it when it's not right, to me it feels like it's a soft tissue problem. I also perform IASTM treatments on myself and that helps, to a degree. I'm gonna start a serious rehab program, and figure it out using some resources mentioned here.

I would not say that wrist training is helping crushing a lot in general, but if your wrist training is done with a sledge (levering) it does. A big part of sledge levering is the ability to hold the sledge tight, which is a similar activity for the fingers as a crush. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

I would not say that wrist training is helping crushing a lot in general, but if your wrist training is done with a sledge (levering) it does. A big part of sledge levering is the ability to hold the sledge tight, which is a similar activity for the fingers as a crush. 

100% truth. 

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 12:42 PM, climber511 said:

Synergy

Wrist Curls

Reverse Wrist Curls

Wrist Curls behind the back

Reverse Curls

Lever Work all direction

Everything is done HIT style to failure

Best beginners (and beyond) program out there - especially with limited equipment

Look it up for all the details you need to know

But if all you have is one exercise - do finger curls (palms away) in a power rack - when you get to double BW on them give me a call about how easy a #3 is to close

This advice is spot on. I learned the hard way by not doing what is suggested here.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2018 at 9:59 PM, climber511 said:

Synergy Forearms built my base long before I ever heard of the GB or Grip Sport - I did and still do recommend it for anyone starting out.

Do you mean Power Forearms by Health For Life?

16 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Do you mean Power Forearms by Health For Life?

Yes - that's the one.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, austinslater said:

This advice is spot on. I learned the hard way by not doing what is suggested here.

You and me both.

ive also heard those rotating powerball dillies work decently too. But i cant testify to that.