Fastest Person(s) to Become a Captain of Crush?

Onerepman

Anyone know of anybody who progressed remarkably quickly on grippers and became a Captain of Crush in a relatively short amount of time? (Assume that they had no formal grip training prior to training with grippers.)

👈👈This guy!

Edited by Chez
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Onerepman said:

How fast did you do it?

8.5 months from the first I started to train 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

If you have a knack for it, the #3 cert seems to be a rather easy task, if you don't however you really have to fight for it. 

I wouldn’t consider it a rather easy task. It’s all subjective. I lifted the Inch and the blob first try...the #3 cert felt harder to me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hopefully said:

For sure. But I mean there are guys who just has a talent for grippers and they progress to beyond #3 level "easily". Some even do it first try. While noone will bench 315 first try for example or do a Oap. 

I see what you are saying. That makes sense 

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

Still overall I do consider it an amazing accomplishment which is why I shoot for it! Definitely something to be proud of imo.

Being recognized for having world class crush strength also serves for bragging rights in the bar 😂

6 hours ago, Chez said:

8.5 months from the first I started to train 

That's incredible man! I'm actually on my 8 month mark right now and I just closed a No. 2.5 with a parallel set. Closing a No. 3 with a CCS will probably happen this time next year for me.

There was one guy who showed up one of Wade’s GNC booths and Wade showed him what to do and he certified right there. I think his arm was even injured and in a sling. I think he was a college football player? I might be filling in too many blanks. I also think there was a big delay with his name hitting the list and we suspected something went wrong. But he’s on there.  Vache Sevajian.  Oh and he’s on the #3.5 list since.  

http://www.ironmind.com/news/Vache-Very-Impressive/

• Like 3

I believe Dave Morton ordered a #3, despite IM trying to convince him not to, and closed it right out of the package. I also believe he certified within weeks with no grip training at all. He accredited it to being an electrician and cutting wire hundreds of times a day, every day. He is also on the #4 list.

This was pre-credit card set days. Someone else may have more information, but again, I believe it was only a week or two before he certified and before that had never touched a gripper.

He also closed the MM6 in 2006, a few years before anyone else came close.

• Like 5

This isn't directly related to "fastest CoC" but remember Dave Labbe, aka "Dave the Mutant"?

Dude did basically every grip feat there is, first try, no training.  Here is a thread about lifting the fatman, 2x45s, and 3x25s first try.  There's video.

Also, here is a thread about lifting 6x10s and 7x10s. 

He trains grip now (and has for a while) and is on Instagram as @dlabbes.  There is crazy stuff on his channel.    HERE is the original thread about him. 

Start training on 01/31/2016.

Closed COC3 with TNS on 03/26/2016.

Certified coc3 on 06/20/2016.

(Could have done earlier but I had to wait until the gripper arrive.)

Now 3.5 is taking forever.

Edited by Morgan
  • Like 1

I closed the Coc#3 the first time i tried it after 5 months of training coc#2. But after that it took me 2 months to be able to do it again, i still struggle to do it consistently. (lost 14kgs of weight, during this time so might have something to do with it.

Also i still hardly CCS the 2... 

You guys certifying on the 3 is amazing.

There are few who could do it on the spot without specific grip training the Kirill the bench press WR holder.

On 11/16/2018 at 6:36 PM, Cannon said:

This isn't directly related to "fastest CoC" but remember Dave Labbe, aka "Dave the Mutant"?

Dude did basically every grip feat there is, first try, no training.  Here is a thread about lifting the fatman, 2x45s, and 3x25s first try.  There's video.

He trains grip now (and has for a while) and is on Instagram as @dlabbes.  There is crazy stuff on his channel.    HERE is the original thread about him. 

You sure that's his account? Doesn't seem so.

2 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

There are few who could do it on the spot without specific grip training the Kirill the bench press WR holder.

You sure that's his account? Doesn't seem so.

It might just be d_labb. 

Sorry!

Does anyone remember how big his hands were? I ask because I don't think I know of anyone else who has done 7 10's and that is something not possible for certain hand sizes. 

46 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Does anyone remember how big his hands were? I ask because I don't think I know of anyone else who has done 7 10's and that is something not possible for certain hand sizes. 

I'm pretty sure I remember someone saying either 9.25" or 9.5" can't remember which but I'm almost positive I heard one of the 2.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 9:36 AM, Cannon said:

Pretty closely related actually...I'm 90% sure Dave fumbled like hell but managed the ghp7 cert his first attempt on the gripper.  I think Tom has the vid.

37 minutes ago, temmmeeee said:

I'm pretty sure I remember someone saying either 9.25" or 9.5" can't remember which but I'm almost positive I heard one of the 2.

I found a pic in the gallery.  I'll see if I can find it again.

Found it:

• Like 1

This was easily a CCS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anwnate said:

This was easily a CCS.

I didn't think Wade offered certification on the kid grippers :ohmy 

• Haha 2

On 11/18/2018 at 3:43 AM, Tommy J. said:

Another thing id like everyone to take into consideration in regards to fast #3 certs. Back in the day there wasnt a credit card rule.. so guys who were considered to be fast up an comers on grippers back then werent up against the same rules for certification.

for example, i got into grip late 2011. Like Novemberish. By December that year i was a board member. By about Feb-March 2012 i had already hooked up with Paul and Eric and done my first #3 close on Erics 141# number 3. Had we been back in old cert rule territory, i would have certed the #3 with that close. So that would have technically been about 3 months total after discovering Ironmind grippers before i “would have” certed under old rules. But throw in the CCS out of the package rule, and its a whole nother deal. That took over a year for me to do. 

So with respects to comparing how fast some in the past have certed, we should really consider who all has done it quickly with CCS rules. Otherwise its confusing comparisons for those who may not know the difference.

Good point. All #4 closers, as far as I know, were under the old rules. 

Tex Henderson, I believe, was the first to Certify CCS out of the package. I vaguely remember Jedd  talking about telling him to warm up on some grippers and he was pumping reps with a Number 3. That was in the forum in 2006. Tex may be the poster guy for fastest. Richard would know how much Grip experience he had...

1 hour ago, Hubgeezer said:

Tex Henderson, I believe, was the first to Certify CCS out of the package. I vaguely remember Jedd  talking about telling him to warm up on some grippers and he was pumping reps with a Number 3. That was in the forum in 2006. Tex may be the poster guy for fastest. Richard would know how much Grip experience he had...

Is that the cert where Richard swiped the credit card for the guy making the attempt?  Or was that with Rich Williams?