Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
KapMan

Needed vs Whats fun

Recommended Posts

KapMan

You know, the best way to get grip gains is to bend steel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury

You dont need to buy anything to train your grip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anwnate
1 hour ago, Fist of Fury said:

You dont need to buy anything to train your grip.

However...best bang for your buck...

 

images.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fist of Fury
11 hours ago, anwnate said:

However...best bang for your buck...

 

images.jpeg

Yes information is the shit :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan
18 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

You dont need to buy anything to train your grip.

I was kidding

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle

Swing a heavy hammer 30 - 60 minutes a day and pick up anything that looks hard to pick up as many times as you can. 

Or, get a job as a carpenter, brick layer, roofer, farmer, etc.  There are thousands of guys out there walking around with incedibly strong hands that have never seen a grip implement in their lives.  They have just done heavy, manual labor all their lives.  They would need to spend a little time learning technique on specific implements for competitions, but you certainly don't need any "grip toys" to develop a world class grip. 

Not many generations ago, when manual labor was more prevalent, a weak grip was abnormal.  Because everyone spends so much time in front of a computer today and manual labor jobs are not as common, a strong grip is jut as, or more rare than a weak grip used to be.  I was raised by my grandparents.  My grandpa never lifted a weight or touched a gripper in his life.  Dude could crush, walnuts, apples, potatoes, beer cans, etc, well into his 60s.  Usually had to catch him drunk (not hard) to get him to do it.  Progress and technology is great, but it has certainly changed what the standard is for overall  (and grip) strength.

If you don't feel like changing careers :laugh

The basics:

  • axle / thick bar implement ($20 pipe axle from Home Depot would do it)
  • A pinch block of some kind that you can do 1HP and 2HP (or you could use plates)
  • Some block weights  for wide pinch
  • a sledge for wrists
  • Either grippers or something that mimicks the crushing movement (can use a barbell for this if you can't afford grippers).  DO dealifts are great for training the crushing grip as well.                                

Those 5 would go a long way to a well rounded grip.  All you would need would be access to the implements in an individual contest to get your technique down. 

Caveat: If you want to be one of the greats and win a lot of contests, you need a lot of toys.  All the toys.  :rock

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan
1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Swing a heavy hammer 30 - 60 minutes a day and pick up anything that looks hard to pick up as many times as you can. 

Or, get a job as a carpenter, brick layer, roofer, farmer, etc.  There are thousands of guys out there walking around with incedibly strong hands that have never seen a grip implement in their lives.  They have just done heavy, manual labor all their lives.  They would need to spend a little time learning technique on specific implements for competitions, but you certainly don't need any "grip toys" to develop a world class grip. 

Not many generations ago, when manual labor was more prevalent, a weak grip was abnormal.  Because everyone spends so much time in front of a computer today and manual labor jobs are not as common, a strong grip is jut as, or more rare than a weak grip used to be.  I was raised by my grandparents.  My grandpa never lifted a weight or touched a gripper in his life.  Dude could crush, walnuts, apples, potatoes, beer cans, etc, well into his 60s.  Usually had to catch him drunk (not hard) to get him to do it.  Progress and technology is great, but it has certainly changed what the standard is for overall  (and grip) strength.

If you don't feel like changing careers :laugh

The basics:

  • axle / thick bar implement ($20 pipe axle from Home Depot would do it)
  • A pinch block of some kind that you can do 1HP and 2HP (or you could use plates)
  • Some block weights  for wide pinch
  • a sledge for wrists
  • Either grippers or something that mimicks the crushing movement (can use a barbell for this if you can't afford grippers).  DO dealifts are great for training the crushing grip as well.                                

Those 5 would go a long way to a well rounded grip.  All you would need would be access to the implements in an individual contest to get your technique down. 

Caveat: If you want to be one of the greats and win a lot of contests, you need a lot of toysAll the toys.  :rock

This should be a gripsport disclaimer

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alawadhi
On 11/16/2018 at 5:37 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

What’s needed, in my opinion, is not very much. 

1)  axle of your desired diameter of at least 2 inch 

2) rolling thick handle implement

3)pinch block device,  1 and 2 hands 

4) sledgehammer for wrist work

5) a vertical bar device whether it be a jug, anvil trainer or fixed Vbar

5) gripper if desired for competitions. I do not think grippers are needed for a strong grip as I see almost zero carryover from them into my implement training.

I feel that is all you need to be well rounded in grip. All else is a want or a funsy factor tool

I highly disagree because Joe Kinney could pass a Inch dumbbell from one hand to another and one hand lift 100LB on the TTK. All by training gripper and closing monster gripper for reps. He also squatted 440 pounds for 60 reps, everyday.

Leaving jokes aside, Every advice is good here. For me, I believe there are 4 major hand movement and one major sub movement behind hand strength. Crush (using your fingers to crush something, gripper, apple, potato's "I also do them with thumbs",...etc), Pinch (blobs, two hand pinch and so on), thick implements (axle, RT, vertical lifts like anvil and so on), support grip (some say it's thick bar but what do I mean here is the endurance grip). The sub major movement is the wrists behind it which should supports the grip. Overall power is needed too.

For crush I say finger curls followed by the wrist curl (same movement with the finger curls) on a barbell. You can also do reverse finger curls. Use strict curls and controlled. You will only cheat yourself if you explode doing it. Some grippers sometimes just to have the feeling. My strongman friend Marc told me that Mike Burke told him he developed his grip by doing axle finger/wrist curls behind his back. That's something to consider.

Pinch, use two hand pinch. Euro, Flask, Blobs. Sometimes throw dynamic thumb movement such as TTK or pony clamps. Why sometimes? Because I've heard it will hurt your thumbs and based on my experience yes the joints will get affected a bit. But that's my body, you might be immune to it.

Thick implements, should be horizontal and vertical. Axle is the best as you body will get stronger overall. I prefer something around 60MM. RT or similar for one handed. If you can get inches babies and bigger then cool go get them. If not then a fat grips is okay. Anvils is a must. Laine Snook told me that when his IronMind anvil got better, his thickbar and inch lifts got way better. He also says do some last two fingers lifts on the IM anvil. It helped him a ton. And Laine is probably the best person on earth to get advice from on thick bars. Also, doing axle thumbless is good (from Laine Snook too). If your wrists and fingers are stronger without the thumbs aid, then you can hold into things tighter with the thumbs added. Change the position of the holding the axle. I mean do with it reps the normal thumbless way, and another way (but harder) palms facing the ground and thumbless. This will help a lot.

The support/endurance grip. Farmers, farmes farmers and holds. Use dumbbells here. 50KG each hand to start with (lesser weights if it feels heavy) with fat gripz. Walk for a distance or just hold. Walking is better. When it falls go back but without the fat gripz. Simple. Then pinch farmers walk. Simple too.

Wrist strength. The finger curls and the behind the back axle finger/wrist curls is good. Add sledge hammer in all angles and reverse wrist curls. Simple too.

Overall power is important too. One pull and one push technique (doesn't mean if you can do everything else then stop, no things like rows, curls squats is also good). I recommend Dead-lift and strict should press with a barbell. My chiro who also is a powerlifter never uses straps. He deadlifts over 300KG easily on a IPF approved bar which is stiff and a bit thicker. And can hold it. Of course mixed grip. His grip is decent. He could lifts of 45 york blob with two fingers first try. That was awesome. Crush wasn't good based on grippers (dynamic movement, he closed a 1.5) but he has a solid handshake. But we all know handshake doesn't mean anything in grip strength. But his static grip was good. Got 85Kg on the Baseline dyno.

So here guys that's my opinion.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anwnate
15 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

I highly disagree because Joe Kinney could pass a Inch dumbbell from one hand to another and one hand lift 100LB on the TTK. All by training gripper and closing monster gripper for reps. He also squatted 440 pounds for 60 reps, everyday.

Leaving jokes aside, Every advice is good here. For me, I believe there are 4 major hand movement and one major sub movement behind hand strength. Crush (using your fingers to crush something, gripper, apple, potato's "I also do them with thumbs",...etc), Pinch (blobs, two hand pinch and so on), thick implements (axle, RT, vertical lifts like anvil and so on), support grip (some say it's thick bar but what do I mean here is the endurance grip). The sub major movement is the wrists behind it which should supports the grip. Overall power is needed too.

For crush I say finger curls followed by the wrist curl (same movement with the finger curls) on a barbell. You can also do reverse finger curls. Use strict curls and controlled. You will only cheat yourself if you explode doing it. Some grippers sometimes just to have the feeling. My strongman friend Marc told me that Mike Burke told him he developed his grip by doing axle finger/wrist curls behind his back. That's something to consider.

Pinch, use two hand pinch. Euro, Flask, Blobs. Sometimes throw dynamic thumb movement such as TTK or pony clamps. Why sometimes? Because I've heard it will hurt your thumbs and based on my experience yes the joints will get affected a bit. But that's my body, you might be immune to it.

Thick implements, should be horizontal and vertical. Axle is the best as you body will get stronger overall. I prefer something around 60MM. RT or similar for one handed. If you can get inches babies and bigger then cool go get them. If not then a fat grips is okay. Anvils is a must. Laine Snook told me that when his IronMind anvil got better, his thickbar and inch lifts got way better. He also says do some last two fingers lifts on the IM anvil. It helped him a ton. And Laine is probably the best person on earth to get advice from on thick bars. Also, doing axle thumbless is good (from Laine Snook too). If your wrists and fingers are stronger without the thumbs aid, then you can hold into things tighter with the thumbs added. Change the position of the holding the axle. I mean do with it reps the normal thumbless way, and another way (but harder) palms facing the ground and thumbless. This will help a lot.

The support/endurance grip. Farmers, farmes farmers and holds. Use dumbbells here. 50KG each hand to start with (lesser weights if it feels heavy) with fat gripz. Walk for a distance or just hold. Walking is better. When it falls go back but without the fat gripz. Simple. Then pinch farmers walk. Simple too.

Wrist strength. The finger curls and the behind the back axle finger/wrist curls is good. Add sledge hammer in all angles and reverse wrist curls. Simple too.

Overall power is important too. One pull and one push technique (doesn't mean if you can do everything else then stop, no things like rows, curls squats is also good). I recommend Dead-lift and strict should press with a barbell. My chiro who also is a powerlifter never uses straps. He deadlifts over 300KG easily on a IPF approved bar which is stiff and a bit thicker. And can hold it. Of course mixed grip. His grip is decent. He could lifts of 45 york blob with two fingers first try. That was awesome. Crush wasn't good based on grippers (dynamic movement, he closed a 1.5) but he has a solid handshake. But we all know handshake doesn't mean anything in grip strength. But his static grip was good. Got 85Kg on the Baseline dyno.

So here guys that's my opinion.

Nice post. Great info.  Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alawadhi
1 hour ago, anwnate said:

Nice post. Great info.  Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome. And of course to balance it out, extensors! Using rubber band, buck of sand or even your hand resistance. It'll all work.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan

Blobs. I Hate blobs. My hate for blobs matches chris rice’s hate for grippers.😬

i hope this posts helps new and intermediate gripsters. Thanks again to all the folk who posted their opinions. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rick Walker
6 hours ago, anwnate said:

All by training gripper and closing monster gripper for reps. He also squatted 440 pounds for 60 reps, everyday.

Down the rabbit hole we go...🙄

I will excuse myself out the side door.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joseph Sullivan
1 hour ago, Rick Walker said:

Down the rabbit hole we go...🙄

I will excuse myself out the side door.

Rick,

That comment was surely made, in jest, as He states in his next sentence “all jokes aside “.  @Alawadhi was definitely not being serious with that comment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alawadhi
14 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Rick,

That comment was surely made, in jest, as He states in his next sentence “all jokes aside “.  @Alawadhi was definitely not being serious with that comment.

Yep. If he continued reading my post he would've known. If he saw others liking my post he knew something good was there. But one thing I don't understand, why he quoted anwnate and not me? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stanislav
On 11/29/2018 at 11:53 PM, KapMan said:

You know, the best way to get grip gains is to bend steel. 

No way, bending promotes grip gains

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anwnate
22 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Yep. If he continued reading my post he would've known. If he saw others liking my post he knew something good was there. But one thing I don't understand, why he quoted anwnate and not me? 

I was mildly curious too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KapMan
2 hours ago, Stanislav said:

No way, bending promotes grip gains

It was a joke, and not a good one. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aleksandar Milosevic

Bare minimum to cover almost all aspects of grip would be: adjustable gripper, 2h pinch block (Flask) and an axle + Rolling thunder/Crusher/Napalm's nightmare (one or those).

I think you'd be able to create a world class grip with some creativity just with those 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.