Needed vs Whats fun

KapMan

I posed this question to Jedd the other day as I thought it would be pretty interesting. Was listening to a podcast about a similar topic in gaming and it inspired me to ask this to as many folk as possible.

Grip sport has a plethora of toys to be played with. I think that goes without saying. 

My question is what do you need to be successful in gripsport vs whats fun. Obviously theres tons of fun gear. The world is a gripsters paradise. But whats actually needed. Besides grippers, a healthy attitude and a good diet.  Discuss. 

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, KapMan said:

I posed this question to Jedd the other day as I thought it would be pretty interesting. Was listening to a podcast about a similar topic in gaming and it inspired me to ask this to as many folk as possible.

Grip sport has a plethora of toys to be played with. I think that goes without saying. 

My question is what do you need to be successful in gripsport vs whats fun. Obviously theres tons of fun gear. The world is a gripsters paradise. But whats actually needed. Besides grippers, a healthy attitude and a good diet.  Discuss. 

What’s needed, in my opinion, is not very much. 

1)  axle of your desired diameter of at least 2 inch 

2) rolling thick handle implement

3)pinch block device,  1 and 2 hands 

4) sledgehammer for wrist work

5) a vertical bar device whether it be a jug, anvil trainer or fixed Vbar

5) gripper if desired for competitions. I do not think grippers are needed for a strong grip as I see almost zero carryover from them into my implement training.

I feel that is all you need to be well rounded in grip. All else is a want or a funsy factor tool

Edited by Guest

"Building" actual strength doesn't take a lot of equipment really.  Expressing strength for Grip Sport often requires certain skills or techniques that pretty much require you to have those items.  Grippers are a skill - the Euro is a skill - lots of the odd shaped items have a skill to them.  The one common thing it seems I see in newer gripsters are weak wrists - I would put sledge hammers or any kind of lever bars in my list of must have equipment.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Its hard to say what might be the bare minimum for training for a comp since so much different stuff has gotten contested over the last 5 or so years.

but if i were to be forced to only own 1 grip implement that i could train to build well rounded grip power, it would be the axle.

Totally agree. The axle works the grip as well as total body power. So much functional lifts can be done with it. 

12 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Um... well...  hands.

Probably some motor functionality to

close the hand right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I had to be totally minimal, like trapped on an island I would just say you need some type of thick handle, some type of pinch, and a sledge hammer. 

• Like 1

Axle- if one cannot afford an axle, buy pair of FG, regular Oly bar W/ min. 300lb of weights, specific thumb device, sledgehammer- 8lb is very good to start with-pronation, supination, wrist curl, levering, ulnar, radial, extensors and FW all can be done with Sledge, COC #1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3. Having these items with right mentality person will become very solid gripster.

• Like 1

Cool discussion.

I like the "island" scenario that @Climber028 brought up. If I had to keep packing to a minimal to make the most out of a few implements, I would choose:

1) Flask: I've found, for me at least, this is between thin pinch and thick pinch and allows decent carry-over to both disciplines. I would say Euro, but changing out the spacers makes me weep. Also, Flask is great for 1-hand and 2-hand work.

2) 16-lbs sledgehammer: I say 16 lbs for efficiency's sake. If I brought an 8 and got my wrist stronger in all planes of motion, maxing out the hammer, then I feel like I've mastered that size hammer. If I bring a 16, I can always choke up on the hammer and microload the torque. Who knows, maybe after 10 years on the island, I'll have the strongest wrists on.... the island.

3) I would say a rotating handle, but imagine the amount of sand that would get stuck in it! 

Nah, but seriously, I would bring a Napalm Nightmare handle + the 50mm and 60mm thickbar attachments. This would allow me to train thickbar with 2 hands and would have great carry-over to most thickbar scenarios. 

4) Rubber bands for extensor work--duh

I had way too much fun making this post.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

An Olympic barbell, hub-able smooth sided weight plates, a sledgehammer, rubber bands, and a pony-style spring clamp.

I forgot a few things. The desire to be stronger and hard work.

Edited by JHenze646
Correction
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dull wire cutters and various sized wire to cut all day long. Literally cut wire during all of your free time.

A softball with a hook in it for pinching.

A 2"x4" about 12" to 24" long with a couple nails in it to use as a loading pin to hold weight for plate curls.

A Climber curl device for wrist extensor work.

A Climber Wrist Thingy for pronation, supination, and hammer levering work.

A 2" diameter  piece of PVC pipe about 24" long with a 5" piece of 2.5" diameter piece of PVC pipe to slide over it for a thick bar.

Total cost? Maybe $50 depending on what Chris Rice charges you.

Will it work? Absolutely. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Cool discussion.

I like the "island" scenario that @Climber028 brought up. If I had to keep packing to a minimal to make the most out of a few implements, I would choose:

1) Flask: I've found, for me at least, this is between thin pinch and thick pinch and allows decent carry-over to both disciplines. I would say Euro, but changing out the spacers makes me weep. Also, Flask is great for 1-hand and 2-hand work.

2) 16-lbs sledgehammer: I say 16 lbs for efficiency's sake. If I brought an 8 and got my wrist stronger in all planes of motion, maxing out the hammer, then I feel like I've mastered that size hammer. If I bring a 16, I can always choke up on the hammer and microload the torque. Who knows, maybe after 10 years on the island, I'll have the strongest wrists on.... the island.

3) I would say a rotating handle, but imagine the amount of sand that would get stuck in it! 

Nah, but seriously, I would bring a Napalm Nightmare handle + the 50mm and 60mm thickbar attachments. This would allow me to train thickbar with 2 hands and would have great carry-over to most thickbar scenarios. 

4) Rubber bands for extensor work--duh

I had way too much fun making this post.

If you’re on an island you have sand for the extension work! Stick em in the sand!

13 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

If you’re on an island you have sand for the extension work! Stick em in the sand!

Good call

• Like 1

I think if you wanted to maximize your success in gripsport than it would be hard to beat the big three: grippers, euro, axle. 

I think if you wanted the most options that includes building strong hands I would go with an olympic barbell and weight set, 100' manilla rope with a sled, and a sledgehammer (preferably loadable otherwise 16 as Nigel said).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

What’s needed, in my opinion, is not very much. 

1)  axle of your desired diameter of at least 2 inch 

2) rolling thick handle implement

3)pinch block device,  1 and 2 hands 

4) sledgehammer for wrist work

5) a vertical bar device whether it be a jug, anvil trainer or fixed Vbar

5) gripper if desired for competitions. I do not think grippers are needed for a strong grip as I see almost zero carryover from them into my implement training.

I feel that is all you need to be well rounded in grip. All else is a want or a funsy factor tool

100% agree. When I did my best Grip gains All I owned was the following.

1) Pipe Axle

2) Plate loadable 2.5" Dumbbell

3) 2" Pinch Block

4) 8lb Hammer

5) 2" Vbar

6) Vulcan gripper

And a small mountain of Kettlebells.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You can get strong hands and wrists with regular gym equipment. In my current grip and forearm routine I do barbell finger curls, one hand barbell wrist curls and plate curls. If you add some pinch work, which you can do with smooth plates, you have a very good alround grip workout in my opinion. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamesG said:

Florian,

Do you do finger curls and wrist curls on the same day and if so which movement first? Ive been been struggling with it.

I do them on different days. On my "crush" day I do finger Curls, Gripmachine and Grippers. On my wrist day I do barbell wrist curls and plate curls.