Head-to-head grip event?

Cannon

A friend asked me if there are any grip events that pit contestants head-to-head. 

The only one I can think of is where two athletes each grab one end of the same Olympic barbell and see who can hold the longest.  You lose if you drop your side.  I know David Horne has contested this event.

What is the name of this event? 

Like, I think each lifter's side of the bar is loaded with 50% of their bodyweight or something like that.....

These two episodes of Strength Wars had head to head competitions. Including the one you're talking about. While I think some of the specifics need ironing out the concept is cool. Reminds of WSM last year (if I remember correctly) where they had an atlas stone load back and forth between two athletes until one quit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gripmas 2007 contested double 100 pound plate holds for time. A pair of guys faced each other. Not sure if that qualifies for what you’re asking about.

Adam Irrgang made that “two-handed gripper-like device” that a pair of guys square-off on. I tried to fascilitate Sorinex marketing a version, but I guess the whole thing fizzled out. 

52 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Thank you so much @Andrew Dube

Did they give the event a name?  Does it have a name that you know of? 

(of course my work blocks youtube :pinch )

They don't give it a name. Only state that each bar is loaded to 100kg. Double barbell death stare has a nice ring to it though ;) 

• Like 1

Go to a playground and hook two identical implements to the ends of a seesaw, that's the first thing that comes to mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Thank you so much @Andrew Dube

Did they give the event a name?  Does it have a name that you know of? 

(of course my work blocks youtube :pinch )

I've heard of it called sleeve holds.

• Like 1

I really appreciate the responses. 

Originally I wanted the name of that specific event because I wanted to google up a photo to show.  I still can't find one.  Sleeve hold didn't produce any results either.  The crazy thing is I saw a picture of this somewhere in the past couple days.  If only I could remember where.

I wasn't originally asking about head-to-head event ideas, but that's a better topic of conversation anyway. 

@EricMilfeld I remember that custom head-to-head grip challenge.  That was a sweet idea and seemed brutal. 

So, head-to-head grip event ideas.  What have you guys got?

You could do any number of things with a tug-o-war format.  Pulling on pinch blocks or whatever. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Go to a playground and hook two identical implements to the ends of a seesaw, that's the first thing that comes to mind.

This is a cool idea too. 

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Gripmas 2007 contested double 100 pound plate holds for time. A pair of guys faced each other. Not sure if that qualifies for what you’re asking about.

Adam Irrgang made that “two-handed gripper-like device” that a pair of guys square-off on. I tried to fascilitate Sorinex marketing a version, but I guess the whole thing fizzled out. 

I found a thread about this implement.  But I think the accompanying video is no longer on YouTube.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Originally I wanted the name of that specific event because I wanted to google up a photo to show.  I still can't find one.  Sleeve hold didn't produce any results either.  The crazy thing is I saw a picture of this somewhere in the past couple days.  If only I could remember where.

I wasn't originally asking about head-to-head event ideas, but that's a better topic of conversation anyway. 

@EricMilfeld I remember that custom head-to-head grip challenge.  That was a sweet idea and seemed brutal. 

You could do any number of things with a tug-o-war format.  Pulling on pinch blocks or whatever. 

Either here or on IG i saw a post with a guy doing crushed to dust and turned the video into a goofy thing. Towards the end they did sleeve holds. The dude tagged@riccardomagni

4 hours ago, Cannon said:

It was an event at this past Saturdays Grip competition in Ohio held by @Saff for armlifting USA. He called it a head to head barbell collar hold I believe 

Edited by Guest

I one watched a professional baseball player have a baseball tug-o- -war with the team’s athletic trainer.

they each held the ball in a three fingered grip.  I was part of their pregame ritual 

Edited by richcottrell

This is another pic from the contest. This was the final event and I set It up tournament style. Matchups were determined by point totals. Winner moves on. Winner received 100pts runner up 90pts  and so on decreasing pts by 10 for each lower placing.

FB_IMG_1542417247289.jpg

4 minutes ago, Saff said:

This is another pic from the contest. This was the final event and I set It up tournament style. Matchups were determined by point totals. Winner moves on. Winner received 100pts runner up 90pts  and so on decreasing pts by 10 for each lower placing.

FB_IMG_1542417247289.jpg

John Mauser cracks me up with his competing in sandals 

52 minutes ago, Saff said:

FB_IMG_1542417247289.jpg

Are we gonna see the results from this competition? I’m curious to see the placing and weights lifted on the events. Now I know why my wife made me cancel. She had my surprise 40th birthday party. 

Screenshot_20181117-024830_Excel.thumb.jpg.196af6824f9cbfc911406d928ee9b8d1.jpg

5 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Are we gonna see the results from this competition? I’m curious to see the placing and weights lifted on the events. Now I know why my wife made me cancel. She had my surprise 40th birthday party. 

Here ya go. Happy belated birthday. Hopefully you will be able to come to the next one.

Edited by Saff