Steel Shredders 4: You may now undermine each other's confidence

Tom Flesher

Figured it'd be nice to have a thread here where we could brag on what we're finishing and how well it's going.

Narrator: It was not going well.

I got my bars and wraps earlier this week and just eyeing this stuff it's looking hard as hell. I know David's calibration numbers but didn't have much to compare them to, so I logically chose the highest number I could find at a length and diameter I can comfortably do. I haven't attempted a bar yet (I have 3) - I'll definitely post videos even if they're time failures.

Anyone want to out themselves on how it's going? Currently I think Lucy Horne is going to finish well ahead of me.

• Like 4

Tom, great idea for a topic. I think is going to be a fun contest. I am excited to see what everyone does.  I did my first bar last night. Here is the video.

Good luck everyone!

• Like 3

Better men then I. Last bar I attempted was a Goliath level bar and I couldn’t finish, the steel from tractor supply is something else at that size. 

I have a long 3/8/3/4? Bar that I’ve barely dented. 

Yous us some strong ass dudes 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Tom, great idea for a topic. I think is going to be a fun contest. I am excited to see what everyone does.  I did my first bar last night. Here is the video.

Good luck everyone!

I had the sound down, so I didn't hear if you explained this, but I loved the switch to carpet. Presumable for better friction on the leg crush?

Maybe you need a bending rug to roll up under your bending cart.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tom Flesher said:

I had the sound down, so I didn't hear if you explained this, but I loved the switch to carpet. Presumable for better friction on the leg crush?

Maybe you need a bending rug to roll up under your bending cart.

Yeah, my feet were sliding.  You can see it on the video. I bend there all the time and it normally doesn't happen. My wife must have just cleaned the floor or something.  I will probably stick to the carpet though. 

Best bends I ever did were in sneakers on a rubber floor at a multi-use gym. The grip was just right. It took me a while to realize why I was so much better at the gym than at home.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 1:57 PM, Tom Flesher said:

Currently I think Lucy Horne is going to finish well ahead of me.

That's not a shame... 😄

• Like 2

My first attempt. The knee kink is usually stronger for me but I ended up switching to a hip kink instead and the bar went down quickly from there. Not sure if the ends are sufficiently close for this to count but I have two more identical bars. 

• Like 4

Yeah, that batch was a real outlier and I wish they had more of it. I’m going to have to cut down the ones I have if I want to compete for a medal.

On 11/24/2018 at 3:13 PM, Donc101 said:

Pretty sick bend Don!  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tom Flesher said:

My first attempt. The knee kink is usually stronger for me but I ended up switching to a hip kink instead and the bar went down quickly from there. Not sure if the ends are sufficiently close for this to count but I have two more identical bars. 

Excellent fight Tom!  The initial variation of the leg crush was pretty innovative ... never seen that before.  Did you make that technique up or see it from someone?  I really wish too that there were some more of these bars left.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

Excellent fight Tom!  The initial variation of the leg crush was pretty innovative ... never seen that before.  Did you make that technique up or see it from someone?  I really wish too that there were some more of these bars left.

Thanks, Carl! I started using that technique on timber spikes - not sure why it feels right but it works pretty well for me. I’ve got the ends braced against my hams and I’m sort of guiding it with my hands. It’s great for getting a few extra degrees before I move to the finish.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

I thought the same thing. I have never seem someone do that before. It worked really well for Tom.

16 minutes ago, Buccos1 said:

Pretty sick bend Don!  

Thanks Carl! What bar are you hitting next?

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 10:23 AM, Donc101 said:

Thanks Carl! What bar are you hitting next?

I only have one bar left, so ... really have no idea?  No way I'm making a sub-25" attempt with this stock though; think that's a little out of my range at this point.  I have a few of the easier-rated bars, but would have to cut them too short to make up much ground, with comparable numbers on the harder bar.  Just wish I had a few more!!  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did a 223kg bend for Shredders 4 just now. This puts me in 4th right now behind Don, Reuben and Zsolt. It wasn’t extremely difficult so I think I can bend a harder bar than this but I’m not certain I can bend a 243kg in sub 3.5 minutes. Which is what I need to do in order to advance my spot on the leaderboard. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Did a 223kg bend for Shredders 4 just now. This puts me in 4th right now behind Don, Reuben and Zsolt. It wasn’t extremely difficult so I think I can bend a harder bar than this but I’m not certain I can bend a 243kg in sub 3.5 minutes. Which is what I need to do in order to advance my spot on the leaderboard. 

Nice bend David! You have a really strong kink with the bar between the legs.