Steel Shredders 4: You may now undermine each other's confidence

Tom Flesher

3 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Nice bend David! You have a really strong kink with the bar between the legs.

Thanks Don! Yeah, that always felt like a natural move for me. I’d say that my “butt” kink is about 10-20 % stronger than my knee kink. However, I’m not to used of doing the double handed sweep with the bar between the legs. Back in the day I could never get it to work at all! So I never trained it. But now it’s working pretty ok. However, I’m still hesitant of going full retard on the move due to my somewhat lack of experience and specific conditioning. I’ve only done about 4-5 bends like that ever. So far it feels ok but I’m guessing there’s some risk to it. I imagine it could potentially produce a back injury, based on how twisted ones back is during the pulling movement.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Thanks Don! Yeah, that always felt like a natural move for me. I’d say that my “butt” kink is about 10-20 % stronger than my knee kink. However, I’m not to used of doing the double handed sweep with the bar between the legs. Back in the day I could never get it to work at all! So I never trained it. But now it’s working pretty ok. However, I’m still hesitant of going full retard on the move due to my somewhat lack of experience and specific conditioning. I’ve only done about 4-5 bends like that ever. So far it feels ok but I’m guessing there’s some risk to it. I imagine it could potentially produce a back injury, based on how twisted ones back is during the pulling movement.

Are you gonna go full time? By all accounts you’ve been top tier, hell still are. It would be interesting to see where your bending prowess is since starting your poling. 

Big steel dying on this thread.  I love it!!  Couldn't afford the shipping for Shredders 4, but maybe I'll grab some local stock just to see where I'm at.  Obviously not rated steel like you guys are doing.  Shortest i ever went was 19" with 16mm (2011), but who knows what it would have rated at.  Bought lengths from a local steel supplier.  I'll grab a piece at Lowes or Home Depot and see if I can get something in the mid to high 20's.  I'll have to do it without wraps as those all disappered when I moved a few years ago.  May be a complete chit show embarassment since i haven't done any braced in the last 6 years, but I'll report back either way. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, David_wigren said:

There is no doubt that technique puts a lot of stress on the low back and sides. Those areas have been real sore before after a big bend. 

Pretty pathetic.  I picked up a length of 5/8 x 36 HR at Lowe's on the way home.

No wraps.  No chalk.  No warmup.  Bad bronchitis.  Trying to come up with every excuse I can for why it took over 5 minutes to bend it.  Lol.  Mainly, it took me awhile to figure out how to do my gorilla chest sweep without impaling myself since there were no wraps to cushion the blow.  Lol.

Mainly, I'm just 6 years older and a lot weaker. Haha. There was a time when, under the same conditions, this would have been dead in 30 seconds.  Oh well. I promised to post it no matter how bad it was, so have a laugh.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, KapMan said:

Are you gonna go full time? By all accounts you’ve been top tier, hell still are. It would be interesting to see where your bending prowess is since starting your poling. 

I don’t think I’m going to commit to it full time anytime soon. I’m putting in to much work to the other stuff. My “recovery budget” is maxed out and I’m already dealing with to many injuries as it is. I’ve got a bad left shoulder that has been hurting for 4 months. My right hip has been hurting for 8 months. And the last joint on my middle finger has busted and is actually leaking joint fluid into a cavity cituated over the nailbed. I have to cut it open and drain it every other week. And every time I open it I have to be careful not to infect it, as an infection would spread to the joint and cause all kinds of trouble.

Still though. In spite of my body falling apart. I’m doing pretty well with the pole. Should qualify for the world championships this year. I’m also making pretty good strides with the armwrestling. Slowly climbing the hierarchy of the European pro division.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Pretty pathetic.  I picked up a length of 5/8 x 36 HR at Lowe's on the way home.

No wraps.  No chalk.  No warmup.  Bad bronchitis.  Trying to come up with every excuse I can for why it took over 5 minutes to bend it.  Lol.  Mainly, it took me awhile to figure out how to do my gorilla chest sweep without impaling myself since there were no wraps to cushion the blow.  Lol.

Mainly, I'm just 6 years older and a lot weaker. Haha. There was a time when, under the same conditions, this would have been dead in 30 seconds.  Oh well. I promised to post it no matter how bad it was, so have a laugh.

Not bad for the old man at all. Wraps and chalk makes a big difference. Btw, when did you get another kid? Is he from after we stopped being active 6ish years ago? I’m so bad at judging kids age, haha. But he looks like 5-6ish, right?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Donc101 said:

There is no doubt that technique puts a lot of stress on the low back and sides. Those areas have been real sore before after a big bend. 

Yeah, I get sore in my lower back and in my left trap muscle. It’s the good kind of sore though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I don’t think I’m going to commit to it full time anytime soon. I’m putting in to much work to the other stuff. My “recovery budget” is maxed out and I’m already dealing with to many injuries as it is. I’ve got a bad left shoulder that has been hurting for 4 months. My right hip has been hurting for 8 months. And the last joint on my middle finger has busted and is actually leaking joint fluid into a cavity cituated over the nailbed. I have to cut it open and drain it every other week. And every time I open it I have to be careful not to infect it, as an infection would spread to the joint and cause all kinds of trouble.

Still though. In spite of my body falling apart. I’m doing pretty well with the pole. Should qualify for the world championships this year. I’m also making pretty good strides with the armwrestling. Slowly climbing the hierarchy of the European pro division.

My man!

3 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Not bad for the old man at all. Wraps and chalk makes a big difference. Btw, when did you get another kid? Is he from after we stopped being active 6ish years ago? I’m so bad at judging kids age, haha. But he looks like 5-6ish, right?

3 1/2.  Big like papa.  Haha. 

Thanks man.  A little warmup and some wraps, I think I'd be good for mid to high 20s without training it.  Too much other stuff going on right now though.  Maybe next year...

36 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

Best success dude. Sorry to hear about your injuries. Amazing how much crap we put our bodies through and just how resilient it is.

• 3 weeks later...

As I STILL work on two other bends at the moment, I am not sure, if I will enter Steelshredder4. But here is a bend of my son Jonathan for the event:

Bend starts at 3:30

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, camz said:

As I STILL work on two other bends at the moment, I am not sure, if I will enter Steelshredder4. But here is a bend of my son Jonathan for the event:

Bend starts at 3:30

Awesome! I have 2 bars for my daughters to try. Really cool to get the kids involved. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My last bend. Great contest. Bending starts at 10:15

Edited by Donc101
  • Like 1

Final results:

Open Class (43 competitors, 10 countries)

1 Reuben Hughes (Wales) - 261k [16mm x 19.5", batch 20/12/18(B)] – 22 Jan, 2019 - Morfa Nefyn, Wales (105k class) WR
2 Stan Tomajko (USA) - 254k in 2:52 [16mm x 18.5", batch 5/11/18] – 31 Jan, 2019 – Sunny Isles, FL, USA (93k class and 50+) WR
3 Don Cummings (USA) - 254k in 3:19 [16mm x 18.5", batch 5/11/18] – 31 Jan, 2019 – Birmingham, MI, USA
4 Zsolt Hornyak (Hungary) - 254k in 4:24 [16mm x 18.5", batch 5/11/18] – 2 Jan, 2019 - Budapest, Hungary
5 Michael Rogowski (USA) - 238k in 3:41 [16mm x 24", batch 11/10/18] – 12 Jan, 2019 – Phoenix, AZ, USA (83k class) WR

Carl Donati Jr. (USA) - 228k in 1:00 [16mm x 25", batch 11/10/18] – 8 Jan, 2019 – Butler, PA, USA
David Wigren (Sweden) - 223k [16mm x 25.5", batch 11/10/18] – 23 Dec, 2018 – Orebro, Sweden
Sirko Petermann (Austria) - 214k [16mm x 26.5", batch 11/10/18] – 28 Jan, 2019 – Kolsass, Austria
Tony Reid (Canada) - 210k [16mm x 22", batch 5/11/18] – 26 Jan, 2019 – Edmonton, AB, Canada
Hannes Kainz (Austria) - 210k [16mm x 22", batch 5/11/18] – 17 Jan, 2019 – Traboch, Austria
David Mitti (USA) - 200k [16mm x 23", batch 5/11/18] – 27 Dec, 2018 – St Clair, MI, USA
Tom Flesher (USA) - 194k [16mm x 29", batch 11/10/18] - 30 Nov, 2018 – Farmingdale, NY, USA
Simon Armstrong (England) - 191k [16mm x 24", batch 5/11/18] – 8 Dec, 2018 – Caerphilly, Wales
Frank Delventhal (Germany) - 187k [16mm x 30", batch 11/10/18] – 24 Dec, 2018 - Hamburg, Germany
Robert Nejedly (USA) - 187k [16mm x 24.5", batch 5/11/18] – 13 Dec, 2018 – Benbrook, TX, USA (59k class) WR
Stefan Falke (Germany) - 175k [16mm x 26", batch 5/11/18] – 20 Jan, 2019 - Ahrensburg, Germany
Steffen Knaak (Germany) - 173k [12mm x 18", batch 16/2/18] - 19 Nov, 2018 - Zittau, Germany
Danton Briggs (England) - 168k [16mm x 27", batch 5/11/18] – 8 Jan, 2019 - Watford, England
James Jackson (England) - 166k [14mm x 19.5", batch 5/11/18] – 31 Dec, 2018 - Stevenage, England
Graeme Cunningham (England) - 163k [12mm x 19", batch 16/2/18] – 1 Dec, 2018 - Sandbach, England
Jonathan Miller (USA) - 162k [16mm x 28", batch 5/11/18] – 8 Dec, 2018 – Chadds Ford, PA, USA
Dom Crane (England) - 156k [16mm x 29", batch 5/11/18] – 11 Dec, 2018 – Rayleigh, England
Elizabeth Horne (England) - 152k [16mm x 28.5", batch 20/12/2018(A)] – 30 Jan, 2019 - Stafford, England (Female)
Richard McDermott (England) - 151k [12mm x 15", batch 5/11/18] – 13 Dec, 2018 - Stafford, England
Georg Stubler (Austria) - 139k [14mm x 23", batch 16/2/18] - 21 Nov, 2018 – Graz, Austria
Patricia Luxner (Austria) - 131k [12mm x 17", batch 9/1/19] – 31 Jan, 2019 – Achenkirk, Austria (Female)
Lucy Horne (England) - 127k [12mm x 17.5", batch 9/1/19] – 30 Jan, 2019 - Stafford, England (Female junior age 12)
Laura Guy (England) - 119k [14mm x 26.5", batch 5/11/18] – 27 Jan, 2019 - Rye, England (Female)
Jenn Donnatelli-Tibbenham (USA) - 119k [14mm x 26.5", batch 5/11/18] – 31 Jan, 2019 - Rye, England (Female)
Lorna Paton (England) - 103k [12mm x 21", batch 5/11/18] – 12 Jan, 2019 - Rye, England (Female)
Sally Horne (England) - 54k [8mm x 15", batch 11/10/18] – 30 Jan, 2019 - Stafford, England (Female junior age 7)
Jonathan Mertz (Germany) - 43.9k [8mm x 18", batch 11/10/18] – 6 Jan, 2019 - Trebur-Astheim, Germany (junior age 5)

Women’s Class (11 competitors)
1 Elizabeth Horne (England) - 152k [16mm x 28.5", batch 20/12/2018(A)] – 30 Jan, 2019 - Stafford, England
2 Patricia Luxner (Austria) - 131k [12mm x 17", batch 9/1/19] – 31 Jan, 2019 – Achenkirk, Austria
3 Lucy Horne (England) - 127k [12mm x 17.5", batch 9/1/19] – 30 Jan, 2019 - Stafford, England (Female junior age 12)

Laura Guy (England) - 119k [14mm x 26.5", batch 5/11/18] – 27 Jan, 2019 - Rye, England
Jenn Donnatelli-Tibbenham (USA) - 119k [14mm x 26.5", batch 5/11/18] – 31 Jan, 2019 - Rye, England
Lorna Paton (England) - 103k [12mm x 21", batch 5/11/18] – 12 Jan, 2019 - Rye, England
Sally Horne (England) - 54k [8mm x 15", batch 11/10/18] – 30 Jan, 2019 - Stafford, England (Female junior age 7)

Junior Class (8 competitors)
1 Lucy Horne (England) - 127k [12mm x 17.5", batch 9/1/19] – 30 Jan, 2019 - Stafford, England (Female junior age 12)
2 Sally Horne (England) - 54k [8mm x 15", batch 11/10/18] – 30 Jan, 2019 - Stafford, England (Female junior age 7)
3 Jonathan Mertz (Germany) - 43.9k [8mm x 18", batch 11/10/18] – 6 Jan, 2019 - Trebur-Astheim, Germany (junior age 5)

Don Cummings (USA)
Danton Briggs (England)
Zsolt Hornyak (Hungary)
Michael Rogowski (USA)
Giorgio Giannico (Italy)
Sirko Petermann (Austria)
Jonathan Miller (USA) 
Daniel Strauss (England)
Stefan Falke (Germany)
Karl Skjelvik (Norway)
Steffen Knaak (Germany)
Richard McDermott (England)
Reuben Hughes (Wales)
David Wade (England)
David Mitti (USA)
Tom Flesher (USA)
Georg Stubler (Austria)
Carl Donati Jr. (USA)
Frank Delventhal (Germany)
David Wigren (Sweden)
Robert Nejedly (USA)
Stan Tomajko (USA)
Graeme Cunningham (England)
Simon Armstrong (England)
Dom Crane (England)
Phil Clegg (England)
Hannes Kainz (Austria)
Tony Reid (Canada)
James Jackson (England)
Patricia Luxner (Austria) – Female
Elizabeth Horne (England) – Female
Lisa Price (England) – Female
Lorna Paton (England) – Female
Jenn Donnatelli-Tibbenham (USA) – Female
Laura Guy (England) – Female
Lucy Horne (England) - Female junior (age 12)
Sally Horne (England) - Female junior (age 7)
Erich Knaak (Germany) (age 5)
Ellie Crane (England) - Female junior (age 10)
Adam Cunningham (England) (age 14)
Jonathan Mertz (Germany) (age 6)
Stella Cummings (USA) - Female junior (age 6)
Scarlett Cummings (USA) - Female junior (age 4)

20 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Im definitely getting on the next one. Congrats on your 3rd place finish bro

Thanks! You definitely should join the fun! great contests. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Thanks! You definitely should join the fun! great contests. 

I will definitely do that if the stars align in my favor. 

• Like 2