TNS COC#3 single stamp

Crazy impressive.

2 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Crazy impressive.

Thanks dude. Did this 3x back to back after 2 sets of a filed 2.5 for sets of 6. Felt good. I’m gonna make this my once a week gripper routine 

You mentioned on IG that you ONLY do TNS.

Do you not plan to do grippers in a competition?  Im the opposite. I mainly do MMS. And I can do CCS on some of my grippers. Thats as wide as I get. 

4 minutes ago, KapMan said:

You mentioned on IG that you ONLY do TNS.

Do you not plan to do grippers in a competition?  Im the opposite. I mainly do MMS. And I can do CCS on some of my grippers. Thats as wide as I get. 

I think I said I only do TNS and NS. If I didn’t say NS also, then that’s what I meant. I  did NS at nationals and that was the only comp I did that had a gripper event so far. Gripmas has a gripper event, I will be doing that there also. I have no desire to set a gripper. I don’t care if I lose the event either. I don’t like grippers and I don’t like them in competition either. What I do like is closing them how I do. Maybe eventually I will break down and do it like the others. Time will tell Kapster. Thanks for watching!

42 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I think I said I only do TNS and NS. If I didn’t say NS also, then that’s what I meant. I  did NS at nationals and that was the only comp I did that had a gripper event so far. Gripmas has a gripper event, I will be doing that there also. I have no desire to set a gripper. I don’t care if I lose the event either. I don’t like grippers and I don’t like them in competition either. What I do like is closing them how I do. Maybe eventually I will break down and do it like the others. Time will tell Kapster. Thanks for watching!

Not many people seem to like grippers. 

3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I think I said I only do TNS and NS. If I didn’t say NS also, then that’s what I meant

First things first, crazy strong close man.  Great to see.

I have never really understood what distinction people are making with "TNS".  I have always understood it to mean "table no set" as in you pick the gripper up off a table with one hand as a way to prove the other hand never touched it.  But that isn't actually different in any meaningful way from simply not setting the gripper.

Let's say you were already holding the gripper.  And you handed the gripper to your right hand with your left hand.  Literally the moment your left hand stops touching the gripper, this is not different than picking it up off a table.  There's no time limit to how long you can fumble with the gripper in either case.  

I have always felt that TNS and NS are both just synonymous to mean "closing the gripper from fully open". 

I'm more just philosophizing in long form here.  I realize nobody said anything different.  Historically I have just never understood why the TNS designation ever became a thing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I have never really understood what distinction people are making with "TNS".  I have always understood it to mean "table no set" as in you pick the gripper up off a table with one hand as a way to prove the other hand never touched it.  But that isn't actually different in any meaningful way from simply not setting the gripper.

Let's say you were already holding the gripper.  And you handed the gripper to your right hand with your left hand.  Literally the moment your left hand stops touching the gripper, this is not different than picking it up off a table.  There's no time limit to how long you can fumble with the gripper in either case.  

I have always felt that TNS and NS are both just synonymous to mean "closing the gripper from fully open". 

I'm more just philosophizing in long form here.  I realize nobody said anything different.  Historically I have just never understood why the TNS designation ever became a thing. 

Because humans have a need to label and catorgize things. 

6 minutes ago, Cannon said:

TNS is much harder because that off hand is not putting the gripper snuggly in an optimal spot for closing. Picking it up with one hand only is much harder to place it in the hand in the position to get a good close. To me, TNS and NS are the way I choose to do the closes because I get tired of arm chair experts that comment on others gripper closes with the “yea but it took you 2 hands to close it”. I can tell you, the first time I saw what most people consider a good close while setting with the off hand, my first impression was, Huh??? They used 2 hands. Now that I’m educated in it I understand, but I still choose to do it this way for my own view of if I need another hand to partially close a gripper then I really can’t close it. Just my thang.

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

TNS is much harder because that off hand is not putting the gripper snuggly in an optimal spot for closing. Picking it up with one hand only is much harder to place it in the hand in the position to get a good close. To me, TNS and NS are the way I choose to do the closes because I get tired of arm chair experts that comment on others gripper closes with the “yea but it took you 2 hands to close it”. I can tell you, the first time I saw what most people consider a good close while setting with the off hand, my first impression was, Huh??? They used 2 hands. Now that I’m educated in it I understand, but I still choose to do it this way for my own view of if I need another hand to partially close a gripper then I really can’t close it. Just my thang.

Interesting. I think somehow it has escaped me all these years that positioning the gripper is allowed with a "no set."  I would have said positioning is not allowed, which is where I didn't see what picking it up off the table added. 

4 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Interesting. I think somehow it has escaped me all these years that positioning the gripper is allowed with a "no set."  I would have said positioning is not allowed, which is where I didn't see what picking it up off the table added. 

Sure you can. You can place it in the crook of your hand 

42 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I think set implies some movement of the spring, but doesn't encompass the orientation of the gripper. That's how I always understood the difference between ns and tns. Like if I put the gripper in my right hand using my left, whether intentionally or not the left hand by definition plays a role in the position of the gripper. 

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

I think set implies some movement of the spring, but doesn't encompass the orientation of the gripper. That's how I always understood the difference between ns and tns. Like if I put the gripper in my right hand using my left, whether intentionally or not the left hand by definition plays a role in the position of the gripper. 

This is always how I understood it to be.  You don't compress the spring with the non-closing hand, but you can PUT it in your hand or cram it in your closing hand where you want it to be.  If you get your closing hand crimped up like you want it, "no set" makes a big difference.  To most, at least.

50 minutes ago, bencrush said:

This is always how I understood it to be.  You don't compress the spring with the non-closing hand, but you can PUT it in your hand or cram it in your closing hand where you want it to be.  If you get your closing hand crimped up like you want it, "no set" makes a big difference.  To most, at least.

I'm never too old to learn something :)  This distinction had just never landed on me. 

At any rate, Joe's close is daaaaaaaaaamn strong :fear

18 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I'm never too old to learn something :)  This distinction had just never landed on me. 

At any rate, Joe's close is daaaaaaaaaamn strong :fear

Yea Matt, I can tell you without s doubt , from doing TNS and NS that NS is much easier due to the use of the off hand to place the gripper in the hand. It’s VERY HARD to do that with the one handed TNS. Feels very alien 

1 hour ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Yea Matt, I can tell you without s doubt , from doing TNS and NS that NS is much easier due to the use of the off hand to place the gripper in the hand. It’s VERY HARD to do that with the one handed TNS. Feels very alien 

Oh, I totally agree.  Any "no set" work I've ever done was apparently actually TNS work because I thought it was illegal to even place the gripper.  I definitely see how it would be advantageous to be able to optimally place the gripper before going for the full close.   

14 hours ago, Cannon said:

Oh, I totally agree.  Any "no set" work I've ever done was apparently actually TNS work because I thought it was illegal to even place the gripper.  I definitely see how it would be advantageous to be able to optimally place the gripper before going for the full close.   

@tmmicklabsIs the only guy I've ever seen that got absolutely no improvement from setting the gripper in his hand vs. TNS.  No matter how much he worked on it.  Everyone else should get a decent boost. :D

• Thanks 1