Sign in to follow this  
Hopefully

Setting technique

Hopefully

So I just suck at setting, I feel powerless doing it and I cant seem to find any good angles or anything (even setting #2.5 is a decent challenge) And recently both my index fingers started hurting a bit and they are noticeably swollen after each session. It also affects my crushing power a bit. If I keep going big injuries will probably happen soon. 

I try to use Pauls technique, but I cant push with my chest. I think it is because my thumb is so short I need to kink my wrist alot to get my setting hand in proper position, so it messes up alignment. Fist of Fury here have suggested gtg with light gripper to get the movement down, it could just be a neural issue. But still index finger pain problem would remain.

How do you guys set your grippers and have anyone experienced the same problems? Would be awesome to hear some thoughts!

Boulderbrew
10 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

Fist of Fury here have suggested gtg with light gripper to get the movement down,

That’s a good idea. When I set the gripper I focus on two forceful and full body hits  into the handles. It’s hard to explain in writing. Thumb length shouldn’t be an issue because the thumb doesn’t do anything except push the hell out of the handle into the palm. The nook of my index finger on the setting hand does get brutalized when setting a difficult gripper. I’m not a big guy at all and I don’t bench press so I know this isn’t a strength issue for most people. I can set a an number #4 no problem. Focus on your technique and most importantly STOP when things hurt or feel off. 

• Like 3

Chez
7 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

The nook of my index finger on the setting hand does get brutalized when setting a difficult gripper. 

Yep! I have ripped that skin off so many times. It actually derailed my training after I first closed a couple #4s. This time around, I tape my set finger with duck tape and it’s helped me do volume with heavy grippers without bleeding all over the place

• Like 4

Boulderbrew

Here is a quick video I made to demonstrate what I’m trying to say.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Fist of Fury

Use athletic tape on your index finger. If it hurts way too bad just rest for a while.

• Like 1

Chez

On max attempts, I hold the gripper a little upwards and throw my bodyweight into the set.

Hopefully
39 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Awesome that you even made a video! Thank you ☺️

It was very helpful, it looks very effective and it's much different than what I currently do. I'll try it out next session. To be honest I think I have been doing it way off...

I curl my index tightly and then I put the side of my index on the handle, kink my wrist ulnar side a bit, and then throw my elbow out and try to press the gripper together without any body english basically. This puts immense pressure sideways on the finger and forces it and its knuckle out of place. 

climber511

If you ever get a chance - watch me set a gripper - THEN DON'T DO IT THAT WAY!  People laugh watching me - even I laugh so it's OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cannon

I get a better transfer of power through my (puny) wrist if I push with the knuckle where your finger meets your hand. 

It might look like the handle is between the and but I’m pushing full into the  

3B73C69B-5E74-4B7A-BFEF-3D3E2E457D1B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cannon

A tip that I’ve never used but heard from Mighty Joe a zillion years ago: Use a carabiner to clip a weight (Maybe 5 lbs or 10 lbs you’ll have to experiment) to the gripper spring. It should be a lighter gripper you can work with. The weight pulling on the spring from the top makes the light gripper hard to set. You can do dedicated set training on various grippers this way. 

Some “smaller” guys do have to do dedicated “power sets.”  I think Teemu I was a proponent. Basically sets and reps of what Tanner shows. To build power in the movement because they can’t just set any gripper. 

• Thanks 1

Chez

I don’t train just the set but all my training is MMS so I’m practicing all the time. I only  throw in other sets close to a comp or cert if that’s what they are testing. If I don’t constantly train MMS, my set gets funky.

Boulderbrew
20 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I get a better transfer of power through my (puny) wrist if I push with the knuckle where your finger meets your hand. 

It might look like the handle is between the and but I’m pushing full into the  

3B73C69B-5E74-4B7A-BFEF-3D3E2E457D1B.jpeg

That is just about where I place the handle as well. You are right, the power transfers through the wrist much better 

• Like 1

2sweetdadstrength
On 11/9/2018 at 1:55 PM, Boulderbrew said:

Good video Tanner, do you do this setup even in warmups for consistency?

I’ve been doing Jedd’s method of “splitting the pinky” with the handle before hooking it and getting my fingers set.  I seem to have problems getting the hooking hand out of the at to get my pinky wrapped, especially left handed.  Any advice?

WestSlope

If you don't get what you need from the tips above try David Horne's setting technique. I feel like I can walk my fingers more easily with the gripping arm braced vertically.

• Like 1

Boulderbrew
1 hour ago, 2sweetdadstrength said:

Good video Tanner, do you do this setup even in warmups for consistency?

I’ve been doing Jedd’s method of “splitting the pinky” with the handle before hooking it and getting my fingers set.  I seem to have problems getting the hooking hand out of the at to get my pinky wrapped, especially left handed.  Any advice?

I always set grippers like this. It obviously doesn’t take much force to do it with a light gripper. I occasionally have trouble moving my setting hand to make room for the pinky when using heavy grippers but I don’t have a good tip on how to fix this. Sometimes I will just not split the pinky and move the handle more to the outside of my palm, but this minimizes leverage

Hopefully

So guys, in todays session I really tried to do it this way but it didn't really work out for me. I still got pain in my index fingers, enough to ruin the workout basically. I realize I propably need to rest them up a bit and start over.

It is not pain in the skin or anything like that, it's like my knuckle just can't handle it. Joint pain.

What can I do to overcome this? Besides conditioning the fingers with easier grippers I mean. Would more pinch work help?

I thought of using a bit wider than parallell sets so the set is easier (but this would of course mean less resistence) or start with choker work. From everything I have read, I came to the conclusion that choker work is maybe not the best idea as the carry over and strength gains is not what people think it is. A potential solution would be to not position the choked gripper in the optimal position but in a position obtainable from a regular set - but it would still not give the best of benefit. Or am I wrong here? I know Teemu swears by choker work but..

jchapman
34 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

So guys, in todays session I really tried to do it this way but it didn't really work out for me. I still got pain in my index fingers, enough to ruin the workout basically. I realize I propably need to rest them up a bit and start over.

It is not pain in the skin or anything like that, it's like my knuckle just can't handle it. Joint pain.

What can I do to overcome this? Besides conditioning the fingers with easier grippers I mean. Would more pinch work help?

I thought of using a bit wider than parallell sets so the set is easier (but this would of course mean less resistence) or start with choker work. From everything I have read, I came to the conclusion that choker work is maybe not the best idea as the carry over and strength gains is not what people think it is. A potential solution would be to not position the choked gripper in the optimal position but in a position obtainable from a regular set - but it would still not give the best of benefit. Or am I wrong here? I know Teemu swears by choker work but..

Use choker work, but use a gripper that is stronger than your goal gripper.  Then progressively loosen the choke over time.  Do this while your index fingers heal.  Then, you can incorporate separate setting drills to your training.

• Thanks 1

Hopefully
29 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Use choker work, but use a gripper that is stronger than your goal gripper.  Then progressively loosen the choke over time.  Do this while your index fingers heal.  Then, you can incorporate separate setting drills to your training.

Good suggestion!

Fist of Fury
2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

It's normal. Just keep practicing with lighter grippers and you'll adapt to it. Of course you should rest for 2-3 weeks if you have too much pain.

• Like 1

Hopefully
Posted (edited)

Edit 

Edited by Hopefully

jpav2010

Very helpful info. Thanks to all of you for these ideas. I look forward to my next gripper session.