Brand new crusher after one week in my garage

Here is the brand new unused crusher Andrew Pantke sent me in exchange for my late 2016 model. This sucker  was SHINY silver when it arrived last week. It’s been sitting in my garage!!! Have not touched it once!!! Nothing else but sitting there. 

Dang, that stinks.  Looks like you've got some sub-optimal humidity in the ole garage. 

I was taking a product photo for the new Hybrids and set up outside where it was sunny (and windy and freezing).  I like to put other grip stuff in the background so I leaned the gripper against a York blob.  Lazy me didn't take that blob back into the basement and now, over a week later, it's still sitting in the garage with a nice coating of rust.  :pinch 

There is probably a way to freshen up the handle without scratching up the surface. 

My garage is unheated except when I go out to lift - then I turn the heat on until I'm done lifting.  This makes condensation on everything metal.  That why long ago I started painting all my grip toys - right or wrong at least they aren't covered with rust.

Navel Jelly does a pretty good job of removing rust but it doesn't stop it from reforming.  Never tried it on Alum.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Wasn't this with the new one though?

Edit: I'm realizing you probably just meant "have not touched it since receiving it and testing it." 

I don’t understand what you are asking. I shot the video of the new crusher showing how it looks in my garage after a week(the new crusher) and then tested it for 16.5 reps (new crusher) after showing what it looked like. Then posted a month old video from my old crusher that was sent to Andrew that was used in King Kong with the same 148 pounds and there was a difference of only one half rep getting 17 I don’t understand what you are asking me? Can you clarify Matt? I saw absolutely no difference at all between the 2 outside of the . 5 reps and that could have been for any other reason such as not being “on” that day. 

I don’t know... it looks kinda tampered with...

My garage rusts things at an astonishing rate. I use steel wool to clean up the grip surfaces. But have taken to using a light coating of paste wax on items when I first make them.

i know Andrew leaves the grip surfaces of his items raw metal so the owner can neglect or build the surface as they see fit.

• Like 2

Being in hot and humid Maryland, other than winter, it takes no more than a day or two for anything I have in the shed of tears to start rusting like crazy.  I spend more time cleaning rust off than lifting.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cannon said:

It doesn’t seem like you are at all. I think I’m the one who is confused. 

Joe, I’m not trying to catch you or anything. I was confused because I thought you tested out the new handle when it originally arrived. But then here you posted basically “I’ve never even used it or touched it”.  I just thought you had both used it and touched it  

But either way that doesn’t matter. It was almost certainly the environment in your garage that rusted it. Not anything you did. 

I pissed on it when he wasn't looking.  😏

@Joseph Sullivan @Tommy J. @Mike Rinderle

Deleted my comments (although they remain in the replies).  I figured out what I was confused about and what you guys were saying.  I didn't realize that both threads were posted at the same time last Thursday but this one went unnoticed until today when Paul commented.  I thought this was a new thread, posted today.  Whoops.  Sorry for the confusion.  

Just now, Tommy J. said:

No biggie at all. I dont think so anyways. Just figured id hit the thread with some reasoning. Joe is getting beat up a lot these days around here.

i thought you said this was a safespace? You wooly bully!

That’s where I feel bad. I wasn’t trying to “beat him up” at all. I was just legit confused about what he was saying thinking this thread was posted today.  

Sorry for the disruption here. ❤️

This is all too funny to me. I’m not saying Matt was just trying to catch me, but I am one that will never back down and one that will put my money where my mouth is in regards to anything I claim in the strength realm. I’m sure most that actually know me will verify. The ones that don’t and doubt, I really don’t care about. But, if they want to call me out Personally, challenge now, and tomorrow will always be accepted. The “evangelist” is ready to spread the word of proof to all mankind! 😉

7 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

My ~two year old Crusher has very little visible rust. The difference in rate of seasoning is why I favor the Arm Assassin tools with the texture paint or the BSS aluminum.

Joe, you live in a humid environment and obviously your garage is subject to high humidity and condensation (and urine apparently)- in my opinion you have done nothing wrong and I am guessing the silent majority believe this. BUT, should those that live in low humidity environments be allowed to simulate high humidity so that the surfaces are roughly equivalent? For example, is someone that trains in the rain with a Crusher subject to Andrew's "consequences"?

I love the arm assassin stuff with the paint. And not just because Luke is a personal friend. Good question. I have no experience with the BSS handle being aluminum, but my preference is the feel and weight of steel in the hand 

Edited by Guest

51 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

My ~two year old Crusher has very little visible rust. The difference in rate of seasoning is why I favor the Arm Assassin tools with the texture paint or the BSS aluminum.

Joe, you live in a humid environment and obviously your garage is subject to high humidity and condensation (and urine apparently)- in my opinion you have done nothing wrong and I am guessing the silent majority believe this. BUT, should those that live in low humidity environments be allowed to simulate high humidity so that the surfaces are roughly equivalent? For example, is someone that trains in the rain with a Crusher subject to Andrew's "consequences"?

No you would not be. If I found out someone poured saltwater or muriatic Acid into the shaft/roller just to bring up the numbers in a contest then yes your scores would be deleted. 

For personal use I could care less what you guys do to them, there yours.

Edited by Andrew P

There is a product that prevents rust on bare steel. It's made by Sentry and is really intended for use on firearms, knives and such. The one product is called Tuf-Cloth; for more "corrosive" environments there's Marine Tuf-Glide... both products are listed as cleaners, dry lubricant, protectant. I've been using one or the other on the FBBC Pro DB and the IM Axle, doesn't make them slippery but does stop rust from forming. Both available at Amazon. The products also seem to stop further rusting if it has already formed.

• Like 1

The gripping surface can be in any state of rust/oxidation condition. All the tools in the picture would be ok. 

The caviot is the roller and axle interface needs to be oiled and keept free of debris and rust. Honestly most people will never have to worry about this. 

55FF7AEA-8233-4766-BFD2-13734613F3CA.jpeg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

The gripping surface can be in any state of rust/oxidation condition. All the tools in the picture would be ok. 

The caviot is the roller and axle interface needs to be oiled and keept free of debris and rust. Honestly most people will never have to worry about this. 

55FF7AEA-8233-4766-BFD2-13734613F3CA.jpeg

And again, seasoned or not, I saw zero difference outside of .5 reps with the old and new unseasoned. So, IMO this is a waste of energy to keep hashing and rehashing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 8:44 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

No, why would I return it? Steel is supposed to season. This is what happens to steel. 

It was a simple question, that's all. If this is what's supposed to happen to steel, you seemed VERY concerned about it in your opening remarks.

10 minutes ago, paul valpreda said:

It was a simple question, that's all. If this is what's supposed to happen to steel, you seemed VERY concerned about it in your opening remarks.

You probably don’t know why this was posted then. You missed a big thread on the King Kong competition in regards to why this was even an issue. There was controversy as to the rate of seasoning and action on varying crushers. I sent my old one to FBBC for examination, and this new one was sent to me in return. My crusher was not shown be tampered with and was a genuine unaltered crusher .In this video, I am showing how fast things season in my garage. That’s all. 

Edited by Guest