Tommy J.

Any Ak guys here?

Tommy J.

Not at all to weird anyone out by posting, but we Texans are into guns!

I recently put on layaway my first Arsenal. Dont know why i waited so long to get a top of the line AK. But i finally decided to go ahead and get one. Opted for the SAM7UF. Not a huge fan of UF’s, (normally like traditional full length fixed wood furniture) but it was the only option Arsenal they had with a milled receiver. So i went ahead with that model.

this will be a leaps and bounds better upgrade than my WASR. So im excited. Plus, ive never own or shot a milled reciever AK. So im excited about that as well.

thoughts from any AK guys out there? Good choice? Or waste of $1,350?

Edited by Tommy J.
  • Like 1

Shoggoth

I would if I could. 

• Like 1

Tommy J.
7 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

I would if I could. 

aren't you in Canada?.. i thought you guys had pretty decent gun laws up there?

Tank Andrade

Enjoy brother. Im the plant manager of Charter arms we make all calibers of revolvers check out our catalog and hit me up if you like anything

• Like 4

Tommy J.
1 hour ago, Tank Andrade said:

Enjoy brother. Im the plant manager of Charter arms we make all calibers of revolvers check out our catalog and hit me up if you like anything

No way!?! Too cool!

just had a look.. couldnt help myself. 😬

i dig that Blue Undercover DAO! Always loved the look of a flush bobbed hammer on a snubby.

• Like 1

Shoggoth
4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

aren't you in Canada?.. i thought you guys had pretty decent gun laws up there?

Not for full auto. I could get it in semi with a magazine limiter allowing only 5 rounds.... legally. 

Tommy J.
1 hour ago, Shoggoth said:

Not for full auto. I could get it in semi with a magazine limiter allowing only 5 rounds.... legally. 

Oh yeah, no this one is not full auto. Its an AKM. So semi only. 

Although we can own full auto here, it is HIGHLY expensive to own one. Im talking like $25,000-$35,000 (for real!) is the going price you will pay an FFL just for the full auto version. And if your into stuff like belt fed machine guns, the price typically starts around $30k, and can go up over $100k for that 1 weapon! And thats not including the tax stamp fees, and minumum 6 month wait for the background.

And the worst part is, your record actually has to be cleaner than what is required to become a certified peace officer.. no kidding. People can actually become police officers in this state with class B, and in some cases class A misdemeanor convictions so long as the date of disposition is minimum 5 years old. But you cannot own a full auto if you have any of the above within a 10 year period. And often times just a class A misemeanor results in a lifetime ban from NFA items. NFA items: supressors, select fire (full auto) weapons, SBRs, SBS, etc.  aint that something?.. 

So typically the only people that can afford them are range owners and stuff like that. The most common way to shoot one is just to go pay a range and shoot theirs under supervision. In those cases, an armed range officer typically stays within arms reach, and never allows the weapon to leave his or her sight. For obvious liability reasons.

however, no mag restrictions here regardless of caliber or rate of fire. And typically you can just walk in, fill out your 4473, wait a minute or two, and leave within a half hour with any semi auto. Same can even be done for .50 BMG if you have the cash. You can pretty much walk right in and buy a Barrett if you like. And if you have a carry permit, there is no wait at all. Not even the usual 5 or 10 minutes.

to some it may sound crazy, but its really not quite as loose in Texas as some make it sound. Mag restrictions aside, Texas is actually more restrictive on gun laws than most would think. And our license to carry process is one of the most stringent ones in the country to get. Even over states like Cali and New York. We do have a “shall issue” law though unlike Cali or New York.. meaning- if you pass all the required background checks, the state cannot deny issuing your license. In Cali or New York you could technically meet all the legal criteria and they can still deny you a permit for any reason they choose.. which could be anything from not liking your name, to hating the clothes you are wearing that day.

best gun states in America are all the constitutional carry states. Meaning- no permit required to carry a handgun.

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Idaho (residents only), Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire,  North Dakota (residents only), Vermont, West Virgina, and Maine (residents only)

But, in Texas, anyone over 18 that can legally possess a long gun can actually walk down the street open carrying it. With no license. Loaded and the whole bit. Although for pistols, open or concealed carry on your person, it is required that we have a license.

but, there are other laws that negate the needing of a permit to carry a pistol on your person.

1. In or on your property, or any property under your direct control (like if you stayed at a relative or friends house for them while they are out of town, etc.)

2. In any motor vehicle you are legally allowed to operate, and that is also under your direct control (meaning you are driving) It falls under the Texas Motor Vehicle Protection Act. Sort of the same as the infamous “castle law”, Considering it an extension of your domicile or “castle”.

3. Any place of business owned by you, so long as the property does not fall under 30.06 or 30.07 posting.

30.06 means no carrying concealed or open, 30.07 just means no open carry.

and while some establishments have both postings, business can sometimes choose to opt out of forcing customers or patrons not to carry. Those businesses may still decide to post 30.07 only. Meaning you can carry on that property only if it is concealed.

Some businesses are required to have 30.06 or .07 postage by the state. Like hospitals, places of worship, schools (colleges do not apply, but they can still choose to opt out), polling places on election day, police stations, any establishment that 51% or more of its sales are derived by alcohol that is also consumed on property. meaning- liquor stores that you cannot consume in dont count. And after shool events like football games, etc.

Moving on, private sales are also 100% legal with no background check so long as they are not NFA items (described above) that would require a tax stamp. And so long as both parties are Texas residents and not FFL dealers.

this is whats known by many who are ill informed as “the gun show loophole”

forgive me for getting long winded.. but a responsible gun owner needs to know and be well versed on his or her local and state laws regarding firearms. And it appears that you do indeed know your local laws well! For that i salute you! You’d be surprised how many Texans (like grown ass been here their whole life Texans) couldnt cite half of that.

Shoggoth

Pretty similar here except for the maximum allowed capacity. I can pretty much go home with most handguns, .50 BMG, etc. within 30 minutes as well. 

• Like 1

Aleksandar Milosevic

I'd love to have a firearm and carry it. But I live in a piece of shit country in a dictatorship. That's why I consider USA the bastion of freedom, even though a lot of Americans wouldn't agree. I just hope I'll get the green card from the lottery I guess :) 

• Like 3

Tommy J.
4 hours ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

I'd love to have a firearm and carry it. But I live in a piece of shit country in a dictatorship. That's why I consider USA the bastion of freedom, even though a lot of Americans wouldn't agree. I just hope I'll get the green card from the lottery I guess :) 

Typically, only ones who have never experienced the rest of the world first hand. 

And thank you for the kind words!

Tommy J.
5 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

Pretty similar here except for the maximum allowed capacity. I can pretty much go home with most handguns, .50 BMG, etc. within 30 minutes as well. 

Okay i thought you guys had decent gun laws but wasnt 100% sure. The mag capacity thing never made any sense to me though. And im surprised thats even a thing up there actually..

svr

For years, I lived in a town (USA) that required you to own a gun as a head of a household.

I do not know if it was ever strictly enforced, but it was a damn safe place to live.

"Sec. 34-21. – Heads of households to maintain firearms.

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.

(b) Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony."

I have traveled extensively.

USA is still kinda free, but only by comparison to some other countries,

not compared to what it once was, and not compared to what it was supposed to be.

• Like 1

Cannon

Take care to steer clear of political commentary in this thread. Seems fine so far but is getting generalized versus the original specific topic.  

Thanks 🤗

Adam Juncker

Tommy, once you shoot an AK or any Armalite style rifle you won't want to shoot anything else - its a rush. 

Indiana requires a license to carry that allows both concealed and open carry.  I support the requirement of licenses and am not a big fan of open carry.  That said, I carry pretty much everywhere especially if I have my family with me.  I think the element of surprise helps more than intimidation.  Indiana has very good laws (IMO) on gun ownership and use, and there are very few cases where a county has prosecuted someone for the lawful protection of their home or property.  Even numerous cases where a citizen protected a business or other public place (particularly by using a gun) without civil or criminal penalty.  I live about 10 minutes away from Illinois which has very restrictive laws on gun ownership and use.   

Tommy J.
52 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

Tommy, once you shoot an AK or any Armalite style rifle you won't want to shoot anything else - its a rush. 

Indiana requires a license to carry that allows both concealed and open carry.  I support the requirement of licenses and am not a big fan of open carry.  That said, I carry pretty much everywhere especially if I have my family with me.  I think the element of surprise helps more than intimidation.  Indiana has very good laws (IMO) on gun ownership and use, and there are very few cases where a county has prosecuted someone for the lawful protection of their home or property.  Even numerous cases where a citizen protected a business or other public place (particularly by using a gun) without civil or criminal penalty.  I live about 10 minutes away from Illinois which has very restrictive laws on gun ownership and use.   

Oh i hope i didnt give the wrong impression.. im certainly familiar with a vast majority of modern weaponry. Military background..

this is my 2nd AK.. but it is my first high quality milled receiver AK. My other one was a stamped receiver WASR. Basically a cheapo.

Edited by Tommy J.

Tommy J.
14 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

Man i apologize.. this was a good post and i only responded to part of it last night.

i dont totally disagree with your sentiments on open carry. At times though, outside the waistband is sooo much more comfortable than inside. So basically the only time i can carry concealed outside the waistband are in the colder months that allow more clothing so i can still cover it. But it is tempting at times to open carry when its really hot out and that gun is sliding around on the sweat inside my waistband..

The long gun open carry thing is a bit nerdy though. Thats something i dont care to see in a crowded area. With long gun carry always comes a bunch of adjusting, handling, banging the rifle or shotgun into everything they walk by, etc. it really is nerdy for lack of a better word. But hey, to each his own i guess. As long as they stay nerdy and dont get pushy its all good.

I don't even like seeing on duty officers toting around long guns. Makes the place look all threatcon alpha or something like they are about to bust out and start doing tactical rolls on mf’ers all of a sudden.

As far as prosecuting defense shoots here, i have heard reports that 100% of all self defense shootings at minimum go to the grand jury for evaluation. I dont know how many of those end up going to trial and or getting dropped.. But i prefer to never know for sure. So i stick to my usual mundane routes and dont go anywhere with a gun that i wouldn't go without a gun. Had a CHL instructor give that advice and i thought it wise to listen to him.

while i do enjoy guns, and gun culture (which is a very diverse and friendly group of people here) as a hobby. for me, guns take a back seat to tattoos. which take a back seat to strength stuff. which takes a back seat to anything with an engine. So i guess guns for me are like a 4th hobby. I wouldnt consider myself a full on gun nerd. Too much other fun stuff to do. 😁

Tommy J.
15 hours ago, Cannon said:

Take care to steer clear of political commentary in this thread. Seems fine so far but is getting generalized versus the original specific topic.  

Thanks 🤗

I was hoping it wouldnt get weird.. im trying.. 

i remember at one time a member here posting a bunch of AK photos and whatnot. Just dont remember who it was or what thread.. but really hoped that guy would see the thread and weigh in.

most these days are AR guys. But i got so sick of cleaning my picky M16A1 during my enlistment that i swore i wouldnt own anything similar. So i kind of became an AK guy instead. AKs are waaay less maintenance and cheaper to shoot.

right now my wife is all pissed off that im buying another gun.. So im trying to get some form of positive feedback on it so i can hopefully somewhat enjoy my stay in the doghouse. 😬

KapMan

I built an 16” SPR 3-4 years ago I kept on the DL. But my mental health got werid and well the VA being the VA i sold it. AK platform isnt my cup of tea. 

I miss my AR. I built it for under 850 bucks. The majority of the cost was the barrel and it was piston driven to reduce gunk build up. 

Adam Juncker
8 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

At times though, outside the waistband is sooo much more comfortable than inside.

I have never cared for inside the waistband for the same reasons you mentioned.  I do outside the waste band and don't tuck my shirt in.  If it comes uncovered it's no big deal.  I really like my Alien Gear holsters, and they will swap out the shells if you replace a gun.  I've never replaced a gun... just buy more of them. 

• Like 1

KapMan
52 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

I have never cared for inside the waistband for the same reasons you mentioned.  I do outside the waste band and don't tuck my shirt in.  If it comes uncovered it's no big deal.  I really like my Alien Gear holsters, and they will swap out the shells if you replace a gun.  I've never replaced a gun... just buy more of them. 

Ive heard nothing but great things about alien gear..

• Like 1

Joseph Sullivan
11 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I was hoping it wouldnt get weird.. im trying.. 

i remember at one time a member here posting a bunch of AK photos and whatnot. Just dont remember who it was or what thread.. but really hoped that guy would see the thread and weigh in.

most these days are AR guys. But i got so sick of cleaning my picky M16A1 during my enlistment that i swore i wouldnt own anything similar. So i kind of became an AK guy instead. AKs are waaay less maintenance and cheaper to shoot.

right now my wife is all pissed off that im buying another gun.. So im trying to get some form of positive feedback on it so i can hopefully somewhat enjoy my stay in the doghouse. 😬

Aside from a 12 gauge pump shotgun, my AK-47 is my go to rifle for it the SHTF.  I HATED the M-16 A2 in the marine corps. If it just got whiff of a grain of sand it was game over. Not something I would want to have my life depend on. My AK on the other hand? You can drag it through the mud, run it over with a truck and the drop it off a sky scraper and it will still do what it was made to do. 100% utilitarian and dependable.

Edited by Joseph Sullivan
  • Like 1

Tommy J.
4 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Aside from a 12 gauge pump shotgun, my AK-47 is my go to rifle for it the SHTF.  I HATED the M-16 A2 in the marine corps. If it just got whiff of a grain of sand it was game over. Not something I would want to have my life depend on. My AK on the other hand? You can drag it through the mud, run it over with a truck and the drop it off a sky scraper and it will still do what it was made to do. 100% utilitarian and dependable.

Agreed!

seems like every time i turned around on my last deployment, other Troops were like “holy shit is that a real A1?” Im like “yeah... from circa 1980 and everything!.”

😆

i swear it seemed at times that we had gear older than us. While it was cool to have some of the last A1s issued in the entire military, it also left a bad taste for that platform for me. They were flimsy, wore out, rattled like hell when you walked, finicky to keep clean, you name it. If i put enough CLP on it to make it run reliable, it turned into a mud ball by mid day from all the dust. And i had to clean it again. And if i didnt run enough oil, it wouldn't pick up another round after it fired.

So all the excessive attention that thing requires ultimately turned me into more of an AK guy.

• Like 1

KapMan
5 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Agreed!

seems like every time i turned around on my last deployment, other Troops were like “holy shit is that a real A1?” Im like “yeah... from circa 1980 and everything!.”

😆

i swear it seemed at times that we had gear older than us. While it was cool to have some of the last A1s issued in the entire military, it also left a bad taste for that platform for me. They were flimsy, wore out, rattled like hell when you walked, finicky to keep clean, you name it. If i put enough CLP on it to make it run reliable, it turned into a mud ball by mid day from all the dust. And i had to clean it again. And if i didnt run enough oil, it wouldn't pick up another round after it fired.

So all the excessive attention that thing requires ultimately turned me into more of an AK guy.

Never had a problem with mine. Then again it sounds like you never had the taste of A3s 

Tommy J.

On a side note, i hope not to come off as negative towards the Armalite platform. For those that dont know, AR stands for Armalite Rifle. NOT assualt rifle.. but I do think they are good rifles, and tend to last quite a while (when cared for right) before they are clapped out like my issue A1 was. I can only imagine how many rounds it had fired through it, and how many times it had been stripped down, cleaned, put back together, and beat up before it was ever even issued to me. If i could speculate, i would assume it was upwards of 100,000 rounds or more just based off when A1s were put in service before the newer stuff came out. Which is near impossible for any personal use unless youve loaned it to a range for it to be a range rental. Or you are rich AND dumb..

i say that based off the cost of ammo.. i dont know how many times ive had conversations on a civilian range that an individual swore their Glock 19 or AR had 50,000 rounds through it.

if we just break that down for a moment, we can see it is unlikely to have fired 50,000 rounds through even a cheap to shoot Glock 19 (9mm is one of the cheapest anmo’s). Although i do obviously think both weapons can handle that round count if cared for.

for example, a box of 100rds of WWB 9mm is like $26 on the cheap end. Multiply that times 10 for the cost of just 1,000rds, then multiple that number by 50. 

And i highly doubt that any individual out there is foolish enough to spend $13,000 on ammo for 1 gun (especially a gun like a Glock that cost less than $600) just to shoot.

and for anyone that doesnt know, a box of plain ol .223 cost over $30 for 100rds.. imagine the cost of that at 50,000rds?..

obviously loading your own ammo is much cheaper, and would likely be the most plausible scenario for a round count as high as 50,000. But even then its still gonna be somewhere near $10,000 not including your loading machine.

so, im yapping all that so hopefully you guys can indentify a moron if your ever at a range and hear a similar claim.

yeah i get side tracked by numbers some times. So what. 😬

• Like 1

KapMan

If you shoot alot, loading your own ammo is the most cost effective thing to do. You can do it cheaply if you dont fool wround with wildcats or multiple calibers. So Im told. I got no data on that. Take it with a grain of salt

An alternative I’ve seen is 22lr recievers for some models. Not sure if AKs have one though.