Maryland's Strongest Hands April 6, 2019

lder

The first annual Maryland's Strongest Hands will take place at Renewed Strength Personal Training Studio on April 6, 2019. 

More details will be added as the contest gets closer. Online registration is open!   25 competitor max!  

Format:  Rising Bar 4 attempts (2 attempts for the Silver Bullet)

Contest lifts will be:
Ironmind Hub
Ironmind Apollon's Axle (DO deadlift)
Ironmind Rolling Thunder
Ironmind Silver Bullet Hold
Grip medley (multiple lifts for points, one 120 second round)

This is an Armlifting USA sanctioned event.

Follow the event on Facebook HERE

Thanks!  

Edited by lder

• 1 month later...

Registration is now open for this event!  Follow the link in the first post to register and find out more about the contest.  In my last contest, Emerging Contenders, I had a VIKN chalk block and tote bag as a giveaway for every competitor and a $50 Ironmind gift card for the best overall performance.   Start training your thick bar lifts now!

I have a bunch of implements and grip tools for the medley, but would like to hear your suggestions as well.  Please let me know what you like and don't like in a medley, Thanks.

John 2043861097_MSHlogojpeg.thumb.jpg.9414ac4cb2de6cde7eae48ce5cb98413.jpg

Edited by lder

• 1 month later...
We are right around 9 weeks out from this contest! If you are planning to compete now is the time to get serious about your lifting and training, also register for the contest.  You can register for the contest with the link in the first post or register directly using THIS LINK to my Mindbody page.  

The competition events are listed in the description above.

Maryland's Strongest Hands includes a "grip medley" after the contest. This will be one 120 second round where you lift as many items/weights/implements accumulating points through the round. The highest point total wins. While the points system is not finalized I still wanted to give you look at the implements.

Please go to the event page HERE to see a few videos detailing the medley equipment and walk through.  

Some of the medley items are: Flask, 150lb anvil, IM anvil trainer, sledgehammer lever, ring deadlift, deep dish plate hub lift, plate pinch, 100lb plate deep dish finger rim lift, vertical strap lift, York Blobs, 2" handle dumbbell lift, RT pullup, one arm non-revolving handle deadlift, 3" rolling handle DL... and a few others.  

Do you plan on doing silver bullet last? I would recommend that be first bc thickbar will drain your gripper closing ability like no other event. Also is the SB a single attempt like the rest of the Armlifting contests or is it 4 attempts? Is it the 1-minute lifting rule where you can take as many attempts within the 1 minute. I know Odd and Riccardo do a Last Man Standing with 4 max attempts (you fail an attempt then you are done, even if it is your first attempt). 

Silver bullet will be the last event before the medley.  The silver bullet hold is the most technical out of all the events, I would rather have bigger numbers in the hub, axle and RT than in the Silver Bullet.  Last year, in my Emerging Contenders contest, I gave two attempts to those who want a second try.  For those not as familiar with grippers it usually works out that they either pick a gripper to easy or hard their first attempt, a second attempt allows them to get a better mark even though they are fatigued. 

Yes, I am doing unlimited tries in 60 seconds for each attempt, and if you miss a lighter weight you can still try something heavier if you have remaining attempts.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have 11 signed up so far with some experienced contestants.  The registration fee is held at $35 till the end of the week, then it bumps to $45.  The contest is being held at my training studio in Eldersburg, Maryland (40 minutes west of Baltimore and 60 minutes north of Washington DC).  Please register using the link already listed above or email me directly for more information renewedstrengthmd@gmail.com.  

I am hosting a training day for this contest next Saturday March 2 from 12-2:30pm.  Free to registered contestants $15 for drop-ins.  Please email me at renewedstrengthmd@gmail.com if you would like to come.  We will go over the contest lifts and medley lifts along with any other grip stuff you want to try.  

John

• 4 weeks later...

We are three weeks out from this contest and have 15 registered participants.  There is still time to register and lift, to register use the link in the first post. Thanks.

John

• 2 weeks later...

At the time of this post we have space for one more contestant! If your thinking of competing and have not already registered now is your chance. Registration will close when this last space is filled!  The registration link is in the third post of this thread.

Also, because we want to make this a great experience for each competitor we are not going to accept walk-in/drop-in day of contestants. However, if you want to come watch and support the athletes you are more than welcome!

More information coming regarding sponsors and giveaways!