Which Grippers Should Not be Filed?

Onerepman

In your opinions, which grippers shouldn't be filed due to their beauty or craftsmanship? I've often heard that GHP's and maybe RB's are in the "do not file" category but I'm curious which grippers are on your list? 

File:

-CoC

-Heavy Gripz

Do Not File:

-GHP

-RB?

Never file a tetting, I'd say anything else is fair game except old/rare coc.

• Like 2

Don't file anything that you can't replace for $30-40. That includes grippers that have difficult to find RGCs like 100, 155, 160, 190, 200.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Don't file anything that you can't replace for $30-40. That includes grippers that have difficult to find RGCs like 100, 155, 160, 190, 200.

I have actually never filed a Gripper and never trained with a filed gripper but I agree with this advice. Don’t file the ones you can’t easily replace based on value or hard to find ratings

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Curious if you mean these exact numbers or Grippers  plus or munis one pound from them?

And if that is acceptable, what about plus or minus two pounds from the 100, 155, 160, 190 and 200??

There are just known dead zones since there are only certain spring sizes. 

The +/- doesn’t really matter. The ratings have some slop in their own right. But there are known dead zones around where Gil mentioned. 

Of course anyone can file whatever they want.  They’re not wrong.

I don’t care about a 100 rating and would file that without looking back. I have no use for a 190 gripper and would sell it rather than file. But I have a #3 that I love and would never file for that reason. Someone else would certainly file that same gripper.  

Grip and let grip, right?

• Like 2

21 hours ago, richcottrell said:

Curious if you mean these exact numbers or Grippers  plus or munis one pound from them?

And if that is acceptable, what about plus or minus two pounds from the 100, 155, 160, 190 and 200??

Cannon hits it on the head. Those are dead zones and very few grippers get within a couple lbs of those ratings. For myself, I have not been able to fill the gaps between 190 and 200 and keep my eyes open for anything in that range. 201 and 202 would be nice to have as well.

I would never file an Atromgripz, Tetting or rare CoC. Possibly also GHP and Silvis grippers since they're hard to come by on this side of the pond. Everything else I'd consider fair