Realistic Six Month Goal

ChimpGrip

Ever since Cannon prescribed the 8 x 4-6 routine to me, my progress has shot through the roof. I had never done either high volume or filed gripper training. I’ll be closing the #3 soon, I might be able to already (I’m staying true to my routine for now and will attempt it when it calls for it). Previously I had not closed the GHP Level 6. After three weeks or so of filed gripper work (along with heavy lifting in general), I closed it.

My question is, if I do close the #3 within the next three to four weeks, what is a realistic gripper to aim for by May 2019? I will keep my training consistent, and mix up the rep schemes after certain periods of time. For what it’s worth, I’m quite strong outside of grip. I hope to be posting big numbers on the bench press soon, as well as many other lifts (barbell curl, weighted pull-ups, and various others). I’ve been doing weight training for 8 years and have been on a powerlifting BP program since June. I hope to compete next year. I mentioned this because some on here have said it’s important to be strong all over when moving up the ladder. 

• Like 3

Could you give some details about this routine Cannon suggested? 8x4-6 and filed gripper work sounds interesting. Also how many times a week do you hit it?

For your question its tough to say because everyone is so different. I watched a guy(a member) dominate the #3 in very short order and Ive seen other guys who could close the #2 right away take a while to get to the #3. Im guessing based on your recent climb you should shoot for the Elite and possibly the 3.5.

18 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

My question is, if I do close the #3 within the next three to four weeks, what is a realistic gripper to aim for by May 2019?

I would put this question back on you.  What's your goal? 

Maybe you want to add another rep on the same #3.

4 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Ever since Cannon prescribed the 8 x 4-6 routine to me, my progress has shot through the roof. I had never done either high volume or filed gripper training. I’ll be closing the #3 soon, I might be able to already (I’m staying true to my routine for now and will attempt it when it calls for it). Previously I had not closed the GHP Level 6. After three weeks or so of filed gripper work (along with heavy lifting in general), I closed it.

My question is, if I do close the #3 within the next three to four weeks, what is a realistic gripper to aim for by May 2019? I will keep my training consistent, and mix up the rep schemes after certain periods of time. For what it’s worth, I’m quite strong outside of grip. I hope to be posting big numbers on the bench press soon, as well as many other lifts (barbell curl, weighted pull-ups, and various others). I’ve been doing weight training for 8 years and have been on a powerlifting BP program since June. I hope to compete next year. I mentioned this because some on here have said it’s important to be strong all over when moving up the ladder. 

Bruce Lee said, ‘A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.’

If you close the #3 this month then your goal gripper should then become the #3.5.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Balal said:

Bruce Lee said, ‘A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.’

If you close the #3 this month then your goal gripper should then become the #3.5.

Awesome quote. Love it 

6 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Glad to hear you’re making progress! I know it was slow going for a bit and I’m glad you didn’t get discouraged. 

On 11/6/2018 at 9:45 AM, ChimpGrip said:

Well, depending how you train and progress, could be years with these grippers. Heavy negative training is the fastest way to go, but there is a lot of problems with that kind of training. If you get the rest you need, and train smart, you can gain a lot of strength with them. 

Edited by slazbob

32 minutes ago, slazbob said:

Well, depending how you train and progress, could be years with these grippers. Heavy negative training is the fastest way to go, but there is a lot of problems with that kind of training. If you get the rest you need, and train smart, you can gain a lot of strength with them. 

You can read Chez’s log; back in 2011 he was in your no.3 area ...8 years later, he’s MMS around 200lbs. Takes a long time ...Motivation is key. 

I closed a 199 lb #4 in less than 3 years. Life got in the way after that (work and buying my first home etc) and then I tore my bicep and it took another 3 years to getting stronger than ever. So it took longer than it should have. It wasn’t all bad though. The injury made motivated me more than ever 

I also took time away from grippers to cert the red nail in 2013. 

Edited by Chez

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I closed a 199 lb #4 in less than 3 years. Life got in the way after that (work and buying my first home etc) and then I tore my bicep and it took another 3 years to getting stronger than ever. 

My bad, Chez. Great progress!

• Like 1

Just now, slazbob said:

My bad, Chez. Great progress!

No worries buddy and thank you. I honestly think I could have closed that 4 in two years or less if i didn’t also take time off to chase the red nail. I wasn’t able to bend and hit high level grippers at the same time. I struggled with balancing the two.

• Like 1