Tom Black-Injuries

Guest woody36

Guest woody36

Tom,

I was wandering if you have ever suffered from

headaches as a result of your steelbending.

following fridays nail bending session i awoke to

find my left eye bloodshot, and severe pains over

my right eye that took four days to subside.

After reading about your injury in the Black Log

i just thought i would inquire.

woody

Sorry Woody, that’s a new one for me.  Obviously, it is something I may have to look forward too :o   I can see how it is possible, I’ve felt strain in my neck from nail bending, it could go up into my head.  Actually, I’ve notice a weird thing that I can do recently.  I noticed this in the gym while straining on curls.  I can flex the muscles in my neck so that the front tendon on each side jumps out over 1-inch (at least I think it’s a tendon, I’m not sure).  I looks really weird.  I was walking around the gym asking friends, can you do this?  No one could.  Maybe it’s bending related, I don’t know.  I just noticed this recently, I don't think I could have done this 5 years ago.

The headache could be caused by clenching your teeth too tightly. This is not good for your dental health.

Tom, you seem to be describing the sternocleidomastoid muscle. Its width varies with individuals. For some, the muscle is thin and may resemble a tendon. For others, it may attach to a large portion of the clavicle and be fairly wide.

Guest AghastGrip

Hey Tom,

I've developed the same Tendon "problem" that you described on my neck too. I attribute it to all the weight lifting, etc that I do. When you have that sort of a grimace on your your face I suppose, it pushes out those tendons in your neck. I personally think it looks pretty cool and intimidating, so you should be proud! :-D

Guest woody36

Tom,

thanks for getting back to me,i think it must be

down to exertion,i tend to tense the whole of my

upper body when bending the nails.I think this is

where the chords of steel in your neck come from,

im glad youre healing well,sticking a nail through

my hand was the main worry i had when i started

i think its a measure of the man to turn something

negative like an injury,into something very positive

like you have done.

all the best.

Woody.

Tom, I have been able to do that as long as I can remember.  I always try to flex parts of my body that are out of the ordinary.  I can either flex only the sternocleidomastoid or every muscle around my neck.  When I flex it all, it looks like some characature of a person putting forth an extreme amount of effort, like some cartoons I have seen.  It also happens when doing heavy barbell curls.  If your interested, I guess I could post a pic of me doing iton the board.  Should make it easier for everyone to understand.

Have a nice day,

Michael Falkov

I guess we got off subject; the picture of your neck would be more appropriate for the Neckboard :) .  When I flex mine there is also a weird look on my face, otherwise, I would post a picture.  Mine sort of looks like those fellows on Star Trek- Deep Space Nine (can’t begin to spell their names, cardasians?).  For me, I do think the strain of lifting/gripping has developed this muscle.