King Kong Crusher Investigation Report

Andrew P

Report following investigation into Crusher post King Kong. 

I'm not going to post the summary here. 5 years of experience working in a R&D center taught me that if I put the summary out, nobody will read the body of report. 

Crusher-investigation-11-5-2018-edits.pdf

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Read it. Interesting. No tampering at all (of course) but the huge bulk of chalk dust adds friction to the spinning. Michael had a point. But his point was invalid as he indirectly accused of fraud. But the problem was the bulk of chalk inside. That's all. But I am sure this is not the case with PA crushers only. Maybe most venues have it.

• Like 1

great write-up! I see no fraud in PA crusher, but results shown on that venue tell me that progress for key participants are way and way super compensated. I'm curious to know that super compensation secret)

Edited by Stanislav
  • Like 1

I’ll have a reqired maintenance document posted maybe in a week. [wifes traveling for work so i’m single parenting this week]. And the maintenace will be required for the promoters to conduct before next years King Kong. 

• Like 1

Very thorough and informative, really appreciate the time it took to compile this. It's always going to be challenging to run multi venue contests but it's nice to see that there are some possible solutions on place to get a more level playing field

• Like 1

That was a very thorough report. Definitely a lot of work to do shortly after coordinating such a huge contest. Thanks for putting in all that work.

Edit: I know that bushings are expensive, but it's really surprising how much of a difference they make. Also, it's cool to see that the old school crusher I bought from Adam is indeed the 1st generation version. I hadn't seen one before.

Edited by Squeezus
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

That was a very thorough report. Definitely a lot of work to do shortly after coordinating such a huge contest. Thanks for putting in all that work.

Edit: I know that bushings are expensive, but it's really surprising how much of a difference they make. Also, it's cool to see that the old school crusher I bought from Adam is indeed the 1st generation version. I hadn't seen one before.

Thanks, I won't lie, I'm regretting removing them now. Made sense back in 2015. 

Thank you, Andrew, for putting this to rest about possible tampering with the implement. This should put this to bed for good. I guess the only way to avoid this buildup is a removable handle or a way to blow air into it with,  say a computer  keyboard air compressor can? Thanks again! 

Joe 

Great write up and much appreciated. 

Thanks for looking into it, Andrew.  As Joe asked, what's the best way to keep that cleared out?

Jedd I’ll put a follow up together this weekend. 

I'm just glad you didn't notice the pine tar I slathered in there.  Phew!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Odd.  Let me get back to the desktop and I’ll figure out what’s wrong with the links. 

It is hard for me to express an opinion with a probability of 100 percent, not seeing this crusher with my own eyes and not holding it in my hands. But my knowledge of physics, and, albeit small, skills in working with metal, tell me that no dust could increase the effectiveness of the exercise so much as it says. IMPORTANT IS NOT ONLY THE STRUCTURE OF THE SURFACE, BUT AND ITS AREA, AND WITH A SMALL FRICTION AREA, AS IN THE CRUSHER DESIGN, THIS FACTOR IS AN IMPORTANT THAN STRUCTURE.

If you do not take the option of deliberately injecting salt water or acids into the space between the axis and the handle, then it is very difficult to come up with a material that can, with such a small area and minimal gap, stop the rotation WITH WEIGHT. Without a weights - yes, magnesia and dust stop the rotation, but with a load, such structures will rotate quite well even if they are completely rusty.
Today I consulted with my friends who have more than 15 years of experience in a large machine-building plant specialized in products for oil and gas production. As he told, even diamond abrasive, not to mention, for example, quartz sand, would not have yielded such a result in reducing the rotation under weight.

Then I sent the attached file and video links to this person, and he paid attention to the same factor as me. In the photo and video clearly visible signs of friction on the side of the handle and the side of the hook. The specificity of this type of friction is that it will GROW up with an increase in the load and angle of the handle axis to the horizontal! ...

Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope that this is so. But if I'm right, then I should think about the fact that for the next KK I had a crusher of the same version)))) - not a version with side washers between the handle and hook ... Otherwise, neither I not people who train with me cant never be compared with the owners of such a design ...

And yes - I feel like an idiot, due to the fact that every half a year I pour WD-40 into my crusher))))

• Like 3

Ivan. I would have 100% agreed with your friend 3 days ago. After cleaning out Joe's crusher and putting a little oil in the shaft it spins just as well as the brand new one's. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Ivan. I would have 100% agreed with your friend 3 days ago. After cleaning out Joe's crusher and putting a little oil in the shaft it spins just as well as the brand new one's. 

Lubing the shaft properly is key.  Just saying.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Lubing the shaft properly is key.  Just saying.

True Wisdom. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

After cleaning out Joe's crusher and putting a little oil in the shaft it spins just as well as the brand new one's. 

And did your 1RM return to normal range on this handle after cleaning? Did you put a new frame on it?

42 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Andrew, I have no reason not to trust you! I expressed my opinion based on the experience of training with similar devices and the few that I saw (or thought that I saw) in the photo and video. But this is just my opinion, without the opportunity to see and try the handle we are talking about. In this case, as I recall, the attention of promoters was not focused on the need to oiled the handle. Therefore, can't be any questions to Joe ...
For the future, it is necessary to somehow prescribe this in the rules.

And this is also just my opinion - the version of the crusher with side washers is more successful in terms of comparability of results.

• Like 4

I'll know that in a few weeks, going to repair this one when I do a restock on a bunch of other sizes. The shaft needs to be machined. :)

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

True Wisdom. 

51 years of experience.  Lots of 1st dates.  Not many 2nd dates.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did read the full report but I confess I did not watch the video...

there was an amazing amount of work done here by andrew... such a professional treatment as well as documentation for us all.

While I tip my hat to everyone’s integrity in this whole situation, I salute Andrew for going above and beyond the call of duty.

i can not imagine how much time that took.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1