Near Clean and Push Press of Inch Dumbbell

Jedd Johnson

Today was the Grand Opening of my Gym, PEAK Strength and Fitness.  I was going to kick off the festivities by pulling a Fire Truck, but due to rain, I felt it would be unsafe to do so, so instead, I put on an impromptu Strongman Show, consisting of various feats of strength, including trying to Clean and Press (Push Press) the Thomas Inch Dumbbell Replica.

• Like 21

7 minutes ago, bencrush said:

That is beyond freaky, Jedd!!!!!!!!!! 

Thanks brother

• Like 1

Killer Jedd! And congratulations on the opening of your gym! Curious, could you have bent press the Inch?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Andrew Dube said:

Killer Jedd! And congratulations on the opening of your gym! Curious, could you have bent press the Inch?

Thanks man.  I haven't done a Bent Press since like 2002 bro. At that time, I didn't even know it was a thing, and thought my partner and I came up with it.  Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

@Jedd Johnson much closer to perfect Clean technique - you're doing really awesome stuff this year. Keep going!

• Like 1

Awesome clean, Jedd! Unlucky with the push press but I'm sure you'll get it one day.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balal said:

Awesome clean, Jedd! Unlucky with the push press but I'm sure you'll get it one day.👍

I wouldn't say I was unlucky. Just not strong enough right now.

My lower body is not used to the stresses of the Press.  My knees were on fire last night, and my ankles are DESTROYED today. Holy cow.

Great effort Jedd. You’ll get it soon! Keep grinding big fella 

7 hours ago, Kashtan said:

Very impressive! C&J Inch soon! 

I was thinking the same thing. . . .but from the sounds of it you might to condition those knees and ankles first though !!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gripmaniac said:

I was thinking the same thing. . . .but from the sounds of it you might to condition those knees and ankles first though !!!

They'll get conditioned soon enough.  Just not used to it right now.

Anybody know if anyone who has performed a "set" of Inch Cleans???

On 11/4/2018 at 3:41 AM, Stanislav said:

@Jedd Johnson much closer to perfect Clean technique - you're doing really awesome stuff this year. Keep going!

I think I could have probably cleaned it at the very least, in 2015.  I was pulling it just as high then.

Committing to the drop-under mini-squat is the whole entire difference maker.  I've been trying to do it with almost zero re-bend of the knees, for the catch phase, for a long, long time.

That's where a solid training partner or coach comes in that can see things you're not seeing.  In my case, I thought I was dropping under, but if I was, I wasn't dropping under enough.

• Like 1

You did this with both hands now, correct? 

I thought you have done a push press of the Inch in the past (without clean), but I may be wrong and that was one of your Diesel fellows.

4 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I think I could have probably cleaned it at the very least, in 2015.  I was pulling it just as high then.

Committing to the drop-under mini-squat is the whole entire difference maker.  I've been trying to do it with almost zero re-bend of the knees, for the catch phase, for a long, long time.

That's where a solid training partner or coach comes in that can see things you're not seeing.  In my case, I thought I was dropping under, but if I was, I wasn't dropping under enough.

Using such an approach, you can eventually try to clean 2 Inches all together in order to be pioneer, 1st person ever, who performed such an incredible and astonishing feat

Note: I believe there are at least 3 men who would possibly able to perform that given that they will focus their time and energy on training this

Edited by Stanislav

8 hours ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

You did this with both hands now, correct? 

I thought you have done a push press of the Inch in the past (without clean), but I may be wrong and that was one of your Diesel fellows.

Oh yes, I've done push press with it 20+ times, but it's been years and my body is not as strong anymore.

5 hours ago, Stanislav said:

Using such an approach, you can eventually try to clean 2 Inches all together in order to be pioneer, 1st person ever, who performed such an incredible and astonishing feat

Note: I believe there are at least 3 men who would possibly able to perform that given that they will focus their time and energy on training this

Some day.

This my friend makes you one of the strongest people on earth!