Hardened Version of crushed to dust

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Imo, this is what makes a certification worth recognizing.

Yeah, but it is annoying to have it be three things and two are easier than cake.  Why not just say 200 rolling thunder, and bend a paper clip and break a pencil?  It's almost that.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Yeah, but it is annoying to have it be three things and two are easier than cake.  Why not just say 200 rolling thunder, and bend a paper clip and break a pencil?  It's almost that.

I think it’s easy to us because we do grip.... I don’t think # 2 close is “easy “ for most people. Don’t know about the hub, but that’s actually the hardest and least like part for me 

Might have to come up with something for Diesel Crew and Arm Assassin Strength Shop...something like this with support grip, hub, pinch

2 3/8" One Hand Nightmare, 4" or 5" Bullring,  Thumb Blaster (1 5/8", 2" or 2 3/8" any size similar to adjustable thickbar)

Silver: 185, 45, 95

Gold: 205, 55, 105

Platinum: 225, 60, 120

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

For grip guys its almost that. But in the event a guy is actually training his grip in a well rounded fashion, then a 200# RT isnt asking much either.

200# RT is pretty far off from world record numbers.

but, to appease the topic for conversations sake, im not in opposition to the cert being changed to a #3 ccs, 55-60lb hub, and keeping a 200#RT.

this at least would end any future belly aching of how hard the RT is compared to the other lifts.

ive never officially done the crushed to dust either. But im not devastated. Because its kind of an easy cert.

That would at least mean that sometimes the reason someone couldn't do the cert might be other than not being able to do the rolling thunder!

3 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Would that make failing the cert any better?

im basically understanding the logic here as this:

its only okay to fail the Crushed to Dust cert if all 3 implements are equally out of reach. But if only 1 of the challenge implements is out of reach, but the other 2 are not, then the cert is bogus?

No, it is not bogus, except that the only thing that makes it not bogus is the rolling thunder.  That's why I said that it is about as sensible as having the cert be to lift 200 rolling thunder, to bend a paper clip, and to snap a pencil.  It would be like making admission to Harvard be based on the three feats of getting straight A's in high school and also saying the alphabet and counting to 10.  Or like having the Ironman triathlon be a 26 mile marathon and a 100-yard swim and bike ride.  Solving a quadratic equation and adding 2+2 and multiplying 2 x 2.  I don't think I am the only person who thinks it is a ludicrous choice of numbers.  I also don't have a horse in the race, so it's no big deal to me.  Maybe we should do a poll lol.

• Like 1

I'm not an RT historian, but wasn't that number chosen when the RT was easier than the current version? 

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

No, it is not bogus, except that the only thing that makes it not bogus is the rolling thunder.  That's why I said that it is about as sensible as having the cert be to lift 200 rolling thunder, to bend a paper clip, and to snap a pencil.  It would be like making admission to Harvard be based on the three feats of getting straight A's in high school and also saying the alphabet and counting to 10.  Or like having the Ironman triathlon be a 26 mile marathon and a 100-yard swim and bike ride.  Solving a quadratic equation and adding 2+2 and multiplying 2 x 2.  I don't think I am the only person who thinks it is a ludicrous choice of numbers.  I also don't have a horse in the race, so it's no big deal to me.  Maybe we should do a poll lol.

I agree vin. We all know what stops most people is the RT. A 2 close and 45 hub aren’t as hard for most people. Yes, there are guys out there who are naturals at thickbar so the RT May come easy. But I’m willing to bet the RT stops (or least makes them train longer) the vast majority of guys trying for this cert.

Edited by Chez

16 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Would that make failing the cert any better?

im basically understanding the logic here as this:

its only okay to fail the Crushed to Dust cert if all 3 implements are equally out of reach. But if only 1 of the challenge implements is out of reach, but the other 2 are not, then the cert is bogus?

Also, I have no problem with failing the cert.  Most of us should fail most certs, or they don't cert much.  I think the better angle is this:  As a guy who is now getting into grip,. and working out with a variety of gripsters, and going to a variety of comps, and bettering myself within the abilities I have, I am impressed by a 200 rolling thunder pull.  I may never pull that.  And that's OK, because lots of people may not.  It is a tough pull.  However, the other two qualifiers for the cert are in my opinion barely entry level among most folks I have come across in grip, newbie and experienced.  Not everyone can do them, but most can, and almost anyone who wants to can attain it.  Closing a 2 just does not impress the same way.  You certainly can't be an untrained wimp, but it's common.

15 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Not quite.. the crushed to dust challenge doesnt grant entry into the hand strength greatness alumni. While graduation from Harvard certainly does represent entry into a very prestigious alumni.

but i see what your saying.. the ironman analogy fit better.

however the caveat to your point is a 200#RT isnt that impressive either.. i think the cert somewhat fits together.

I went to Harvard, and it wasn't all that.  I'm more impressed by 200 RT.

57 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Oh wow. I take it back then.. Harvard must be quite the throwback joint to get educated in if a mere 200#RT tops it.

Harvard accepts about 5.2% of the people who apply, so that's a shade better than 1 out of 20.  Do you think 1 out of 20 who try rolling thunder can pull 200?  I doubt it.  Anyway, I know you like to spar.  I'm just obliging by sparring back, and the analogies were more for fun than persuasion.  I do feel a little teased by CTD because I can so easily do the hub and gripper parts yet just can't get close on the RT.  But in the end, I don't really care what the CTD requires.  

By the way, I really like that youtube video you made with that big guy, showing him a supermaster and a GHP6 I think, and you closed a 3.5.  It's inspiring to see that grip success is not all about how big someone is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

For those that dont know, i was raised by a 1% biker and a mom that stabbed the shit out of him at one point. Pretty wild household, and the only privilege granted in that house that others likely didnt have was the assurance that we’d graduate to become non pushovers.

Here's some TMI back at ya.  I had very little turmoil, but also very little guidance.  When I once asked my parents (who were pretty well educated but lower-middle-class because they were divorced public servants) if they would give me $5 for each "A" I got in school like some of my rich friends got from their parents, they were like, "Honey, you'd still try to get A's even if we made you pay US for each one ..."  (Correct).  So at 17 I did my application for Harvard (in pen!) while I camped out overnight at a Sam Goody to buy Billy Joel tickets, mooching Southern Comfort off the 20-somethings on line with me to keep warm and socialize.  My parents didn't even know I was applying!  Plus I got four tix and sold two for double, so I went to the concert for free.

As a teen, I wouldn't have been friends with 90 per cent of the gripsters I've met as an adult (and consider friends) because (1) I would have been afraid of them physically, and afraid they wouldn't like me because I was too geeky; and (2) some would have thought I was too geeky because I sort of was, but most would have thought I was being snooty, even though I wasn't.  Maturity gives us a much bigger field of potential friends because we all give each other a chance.

P.S.  I hate Southern Comfort now.  Too sweet.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

And i love it! Often times, i wont give the time of day to those i feel are unwilling to do the same. I tend to put stock in those that have backbone. And i wont share my beer with those who dont. For those that dont know, i was raised by a 1% biker and a mom that stabbed the shit out of him at one point. Pretty wild household, and the only privilege granted in that house that others likely didnt have was the assurance that we’d graduate to become non pushovers. Sort of a “stand up, stand tough, hands (fists) up” kind of thing. And my siblings and i were praised when we did. So i have somewhat of a connect with people i feel are of a similar mold.

TMI?.. i dont know, maybe.. but hopefully that helps understand my thought process a little better.

to answer your question, no, i do not think 1 of 20 of the general population could do that on the RT. In fact, i do know better. But if we are only comparing those who get accepted to Harvard vs those who actually go on to recieve a degree from Harvard, then its a slightly better comparison. 

Speaking of big J, hes a good dude. For a while he was doing everything he could to promote grip on his youtube channel, for free. I think he reached out to quite a few in the community? And even offered to come to them. But in the end only a couple of us got with him. Bummer. J had over 100,000 subscribers even back then. Would have been super cool for our community to have capitalized on that a little better.

he even went so far as to give me a free table at one of his fitcons so i could promote grip. And i borderline broke all the rules of my allotted space that day by setting my implements in the isle so no one could easily get passed them. That day i brought the official Crushed to Dust Challenge, some extra grippers, stuff to bend, the inch, and my arm wrestling table. Of the 80 or so that tried the crushed to dust, only 1 got close. And it was the hub that stopped him if i remember correctly. He was a Texas puller named Michael Bluth. He even lifted the inch 5 or 6 times, and it wasnt the first time i had seen him do it. He did the same a couple years prior at a Coleman classic.

I think another guy was able to close the #2, and 2 or 3 lifted the hub. But 7 or 8 floated the RT! But mostly of the meat heads that tried, none of them could do any of the 3 challenges.

and trust me.. i stood there for about 8 hours talking shit to everyone who walked by in an attempt to motivate them to try. That alone would have made an entertaining vid. 😆

Would LOVE to have seen the video of all the meat heads trying the challend 

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:55 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

I'm not an RT historian, but wasn't that number chosen when the RT was harder than the current version? 

And another thing that sticks out to me is that that number (@ 330lbs) hasn't been even approached since in any contest setting that I'm aware of. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bencrush said:

And another thing that sticks out to me is that that number (@ 330lbs) hasn't been even approached since in any contest setting that I'm aware of. 

When was the older RT ever harder than the current one? I was under the impression that the new one is harder than the original series

7 minutes ago, bencrush said:

I meant to say easier, but you were smart enough to figure it out.  Lol

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

When was the older RT ever harder than the current one? I was under the impression that the new one is harder than the original series

Meant easier.  Ben figured it out.  Fixed now

• Like 1

No that was me being dumb.  I replied to Ben and then saw your question.