2018 October - King Kong - Eric Roussin

Eric Roussin

I’ll keep my write-up short, because I still need to pack up and ship out all of the King Kong awards. :) 

Event 1 – Flask

I was hoping to lift 100 lbs with the Flask. This would have been a PR. I lifted 95 lbs on my third attempt, but it wasn’t easy. I felt that 5 extra pounds might be too much, but I figured what the heck. In last year’s contest I lifted 97 and I wanted to see if I could lift a bit more. Unfortunately, I could not.

Event 2 – 2.5” Crusher

My goal was to reclaim the overall Canadian record in this event, which was 205 lbs. On my fourth attempt I lifted 206, and felt I had more left in the tank. Next time I’ll increase the record!

Event 3 – MoonTop

The MoonTop was one of the events in the Cross-Canada Grip Sport Challenge which was held in early September. In that contest I lifted 35 lbs, which was a PR. But since that time, I discovered a different way to grasp the MoonTop that made it much easier. I was hoping to lift at least 40 lbs in King Kong, and I lifted over 43!

Event 4 – 2.5” Jug

My Jug numbers had been going up consistently in training. It was far from being my best event, but I was confident that I could lift at least 225 lbs in King Kong. I did even better, lifting 233.

Three PRs out of four events. Not bad! Alas, Luke Raymond, Gil Goodman, and Ivan Krivykh were in my class, and they were stronger overall. So, fourth place for me. I could have fared worse, but Kody surprised everyone by competing in the 83 kg class, and Jouni Mahonen missed weight. The 93 kg class is just loaded with monsters – but that’s what I love about it! When you do well in this class, you know that you earned it!

I’m very proud to see the International King Kong Grip Challenge continue to grow every year. An incredible total of 210 competitors took part worldwide, and there were venues on four continents! Can you imagine how awesome it will be once we get to 500 competitors? 1,000?

Once all things King Kong-related are wrapped (still several days of work), I’m looking forward to a three-month break from competition (both grip and armwrestling). This almost never happens. I look forward to a solid run of training in preparation for the LA Fit Expo in late January, the Canadian Grip Sport Nationals at the end of February, and the Arnold Classic Armlifting contest in early March!

• Like 9

Thanks so much for your efforts on KK....way to set PRs!!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

The 93 kg class is just loaded with monsters

Including you.  I think Tanner was 93 before also but was 83 this time, not just Kody; so it seems a couple of the monsters were slumming in 83 for KK.  And with those two in my weight class, it was surely an honor to place in the top third!

It does make me think about getting rid of the beer belly (well, beer, wine, steak, and potato chip belly). Getting under 74 would not be an unreasonable goal for me.

Fortunately, Tanner’s never been in the 93 class. We can’t have ALL the monsters. :)

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

Fortunately, Tanner’s never been in the 93 class. We can’t have ALL the monsters. :)

Wow, I had no idea he was normally in my weight class.  Maybe we just never did the same comp before, then. 

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Wow, I had no idea he was normally in my weight class.  Maybe we just never did the same comp before, then. 

I beloeve he is at his heaviest hes been around 180ish vs low 170s

13 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

I beloeve he is at his heaviest hes been around 180ish vs low 170s

Well it's inspiring to know that someone with my mass can do that.  And it's inspiring me to lose weight.

• Like 1