Unsanctioned Grip Contest & Get Together - Arizona

bwwm

Folks,

I have let folks know about this in other forums, but felt I should let people know here as well in case they are not a part of those forums.  

On November 24th, I am doing a Flash Mob Grip Medley contest at my house in Gilbert, AZ.  I will be publishing more details regarding time, food options, etc. in the future, but here are the basics:

1.) You can bring a grip feat, or designate an item from my collection to be in the medley.  It's up to you as to whether you pre-announce it before hand or surprise the competitors on the day of the comp.  Depending on the number of people showing interest, we might extend it to two feats per competitor.

2.) Based on the number of competitors (and items), we will set a time limit.  

3.) Food and drink will be provided.  Depending on the numbers, I may roast/smoke something, or I will have it catered.  

4.) First prize in the medley will win something I have forged as a trophy for the event.  I'm not breaking it down by weight classes, etc.  However, if one of the ladies show-up, I will forge a prize of their choice (total hammering time <2hrs.  i.e. I'm not making you a new pot rack or firescreen. :-D)

5.) This is in no way shape or form sanctioned, and as such I make no claims about the validity of these lifts for things such as qualifying for Nationals, etc.  However, if after the comp, you want to do "hold my beer" feats for the Grip Board feat lists, feel free.

6.) After the comp and after any "hold my beer" feats, we may do some blacksmithing, or woodturning, etc. if people are interested.  I do ask that you wear closed toed shoes, jeans, and eye protection for safety.  I have spare safety glasses if people need.  I have plenty of misc. steel and wood for stuff.

7.) I think people know this, but this is a fun event.  It's not going to be super competitive, etc.  Family, friends, pets, etc. are welcome to spectate or participate.

That is all for now.

Martin

• Like 6

BTW - I should say if one or more ladies show up, I fill forge a first place prize for that division. 😉

On 10/30/2018 at 10:10 PM, Rogo said:

I will plan on being there as well. 

PM me, as I don't remember who you are.  I'll be happy to include you in the totals for the event.

On 10/31/2018 at 5:04 AM, JHenze646 said:

Is there a link to images of some of these hand forged prizes?

I haven't decided yet, but it will probably be a variation off of the skull or dragon forms I have been working on.  Just need to figure out what I will do for the base. 😉

• Like 1

Finalized the details:

Grip Flash Mob Medley

Date: November 24th, 2018
Time: 10AM rules & setup
10:30AM target start time 
Where: 961 E. Dublin Ct
       Gilbert, AZ 85295
Food: Served around 12noon or so?
      Will get some trays from Joe's Real BBQ.

Phone: 480 635 eight3doubleseven (house number) or PM me for my cell if you need it

Event Details:

1.) Since the expected # of competitors is low you can bring up to two grip feats for the medley, or designate an item(s) from my collection to be in the medley.  
It's up to you as to whether you pre-announce it before hand or surprise the competitors on the day of the comp.  

2.) Based on the number of competitors (and items) that show up, we will set a time limit.  

3.) Food and drink will be provided gratis.    

4.) First prize in the medley will win something I am forging and fabricating by hand.  It will be pretty cool, that's all I will say.  
I'm not breaking it down by weight classes, etc.  We don't have any ladies that have expressed interest, however, if one or more ladies show-up, I will forge a prize of their choice for the winner of their class (within reason 😉 ).

5.) This is in no way shape or form sanctioned, and as such I make no claims about the validity of these lifts for things such as qualifying for Nationals, etc.  However, if after the comp, you want to do "hold my beer" feats for the Grip Board feat lists, feel free.

6.) After the comp and after any "hold my beer" feats, we may do some blacksmithing, or woodturning, etc. if people are interested.  I do ask that you wear closed toed shoes, jeans, and eye protection for safety.  I have spare safety glasses if people need.  I have plenty of misc. steel and wood for stuff.

7.) I think people know this, but this is a fun event.  It's not going to be super competitive, etc.  Family, friends, pets, etc. are welcome to spectate or participate.

Okie dokie folks.  Let me know if you are coming, and how many people, so I can plan for food, etc.

I mentioned on FB, but I will mention it here as well to be fair.  My two implements will be the Gracie DB, and Inch DB.  I actually lifted Aaron's Inch at his place in Tucson last week, so I hopefully will lift it Saturday, assuming Cold & Flu season doesn't hunt me down.

Trophy is almost done.  I need to prepare a contest name badge.

1117181240-01.jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, bwwm said:

Trophy is almost done.  I need to prepare a contest name badge.

1117181240-01.jpg

Holy sheeeeet that’s cool

• Like 1

Also, just so folks are aware. This contest will be held outside.  Shouldn't rain, but I have a pop-up canopy thing as well.

• Like 2

Implements Entered:

Inch DB (Martin)

Gracie DB (Martin)

75lb plate curl (Aaron)

Unicorn revolving handle (Aaron's new grip implement)

35# blob (Brian)

Stirrup (Brian)

50# blob (Durry)

IM Hub loaded to approx 50# (Durry)

Scale weight pinch trainers loaded to 35" each (Mike)

4" pinch block on loading pin (Mike)

Results (competitors had up to 5 min to complete the Medley; time reported is the time of their last successful lift which was used as the tie breaker):

Brian Gay: 1 Implement 2:00

Durry Becker: 5 Implements 3:50

Mike Rogowski: 6 Implements  2:18

Martin Braun: 9 Implements 1:30

Aaron Corcorran: 9 Implements 1:07 (Winner!)

Side note: My Inch DB was the implement none of us could lift (not even me today, I maybe got it 10" off the ground).  Ironically I lifted Aaron's a number of times 2 weeks ago.  I was shocked at being able to plate curl his 75# plate today.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

It was a good time.  Very interesting to show up on the spot and plan for the event implements on the fly.

• Like 2