Integrity of Grip Contests

Kluv#0

2 hours ago, Chez said:

This is extremely true. All my stuff is as slick as snot so I expected to PR at KK

I had you if it wasn't for that goof top.  Then again, apparently I cheated.  Never mind.

Edited by Mike Rinderle

In my venue, the opposite situation has arisen - 9 out of 10 participants in any exercise did not lift weights, which were lifted during trainings over the past few months. But this does not mean that little Martians rubbed equipment with machine oil in the night before the tournament! There may be many factors that help or hinder you. For example, I know about myself that with increased blood pressure, I will lift record weights, despite blood running through my nose, and with reduced pressure as the weather changes, the warm up weights is heavy for me. Or when I turn up the volume on Metallica or my favorite drum&bass, I always almost get a cool workout, and when sweet pops heard from the next hall where girls working - I want to strangle and I’m not talking about any records.
There may be many reasons!

There are very few grip-athletes, in most cases, we either communicate in social networks, or know each other personally, or at least have seen the video of training and competition of each other. In such a narrow circle of communication, the principle that reputation and virginity is lost in life only once is very clearly working.
Therefore, I do not think that an adequate adult person could intentionally modify the equipment. It's too stupid to lose your honest name, for the sake of several kilograms standing in ratings opposite yours!

Yes, in the past there were situations when, for example, in a photo or video from grip tournaments it was obvious that the axle was pulled with a lock-grip, or a hub was pressed to the stomach. I saw with my own eyes the equipment for armlifting, which the organizer had modify; in such cases, we can say that something was done intentionally or through negligence. 
But in this situation, people are called fraudsters simply because they have lifted more than in training is impossible! We need very good reasons for such words!

Edited by Ivan Pupchenko
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Ivan Pupchenko said:

In my venue, the opposite situation has arisen - 9 out of 10 participants in any exercise did not lift weights, which were lifted during trainings over the past few months. But this does not mean that little Martians rubbed equipment with machine oil in the night before the tournament! There may be many factors that help or hinder you. For example, I know about myself that with increased blood pressure, I will lift record weights, despite blood running through my nose, and with reduced pressure as the weather changes, the warm up weights is heavy for me. Or when I turn up the volume on Metallica or my favorite drum&bass, I always almost get a cool workout, and when sweet pops heard from the next hall where girls working - I want to strangle and I’m not talking about any records.
There may be many reasons!

There are very few grip-athletes, in most cases, we either communicate in social networks, or know each other personally, or at least have seen the video of training and competition of each other. In such a narrow circle of communication, the principle that reputation and virginity is lost in life only once is very clearly working.
Therefore, I do not think that an adequate adult person could intentionally modify the equipment. It's too stupid to lose your honest name, for the sake of several kilograms standing in ratings opposite yours!

Yes, in the past there were situations when, for example, in a photo or video from grip tournaments it was obvious that the axle was pulled with a lock-grip, or a hub was pressed to the stomach. I saw with my own eyes the equipment for armlifting, which the organizer had modify; in such cases, we can say that something was done intentionally or through negligence. 
But in this situation, people are called fraudsters simply because they have lifted more than in training is impossible! We need very good reasons for such words!

100% truth. There are a lot of jealous people in this world. If the show fits, then wear it. And if it don’t apply, let it fly.

Edited by Guest

28 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I had you if it wasn't for that goof top.  Then again, apparently I cheated.  Never mind.

Just like nationals if there was no grippers or wrist roller 😜. Just kidding Mike. You’re a beast dude 

Edited by Chez
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

Just like nationals if there was no grippers or wrist roller 😜. Just kidding Mike. You’re a beast dude 

Fact.  All true!  Lol

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

There are a lot of jealous people in this world

Everything has its limits. If someone lift more - most likely he either trains more or focuses more on specific exercises, rather than rasping the notches on the handle ...

For almost a 10 years, I can only remember two or three people (maybe four) who were taking such steps. In all these cases, it was clearly obvious that they are not doing well with their heads .. In such a narrow collective as ours, alike person will be visible from afar ...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ivan Pupchenko said:

Everything has its limits. If someone lift more - most likely he either trains more or focuses more on specific exercises, rather than rasping the notches on the handle ...

For almost a 10 years, I can only remember two or three people (maybe four) who were taking such steps. In all these cases, it was clearly obvious that they are not doing well with their heads .. In such a narrow collective as ours, alike person will be visible from afar ...

That’s DEEP!

On a positive note -

I want to say congrats to my "grip-buds" who competed at the Wyalusing, PA venue... Some huge numbers knocked down on all implements, not just the crusher!   Great job guys, disappointed that I had to miss KK this year.

On a side note - Joe Sullivan is my training partner, and I have seen him pull 185 lbs. +/-  for reps on the 2.5" crusher on multiple occasions, 200 lbs. under ideal conditions seems very legitimate to me - just my 2 cents! 👍

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BIGRT said:

On a positive note -

I want to say congrats to my "grip-buds" who competed at the Wyalusing, PA venue... Some huge numbers knocked down on all implements, not just the crusher!   Great job guys, disappointed that I had to miss KK this year.

On a side note - Joe Sullivan is my training partner, and I have seen him pull 185 lbs. +/-  for reps on the 2.5" crusher on multiple occasions, 200 lbs. under ideal conditions seems very legitimate to me - just my 2 cents! 👍

You mean my weights and implements aren’t altered or styrofoam? I am not Brad Castleberry? Your gonna ruin my new image BIGRT!!!!

I doubt there'll be anything "wrong" with the handle. Other explanations/theories for the "surprisingly high" numbers will therefore ensue. . . .

Joe - Step away from the internet for 24 hours. I've been there and personally experienced this type of crap - please believe me when I say it's simply NOT worth the rage and stress.

Ivan - Feel free a lay some more of that deep philosophy on everyone (hopefully it'll at least comfort Mike  . . . .he seems to have disclosed a troubling issue he's probably struggling to deal with). Just when you thought 1 can of worms was enough. . . .

Dave

4 minutes ago, gripmaniac said:

I doubt there'll be anything "wrong" with the handle. Other explanations/theories for the "surprisingly high" numbers will therefore ensue. . . .

Joe - Step away from the internet for 24 hours. I've been there and personally experienced this type of crap - please believe me when I say it's simply NOT worth the rage and stress.

Ivan - Feel free a lay some more of that deep philosophy on everyone (hopefully it'll at least comfort Mike  . . . .he seems to have disclosed a troubling issue he's probably struggling to deal with). Just when you thought 1 can of worms was enough. . . .

Dave

You’re right! My integrity and my word has and always will be my bond.... and to be questioned on my legitimacy when I pride myself on my integrity was just not a good feeling at all. But, like I said, my body is always up to the challenge of a naysayer to put any doubt to rest.

Joe Sullivan - I doubt you!  :)  The only way you can remove that doubt is to walk in the door at Gripmas LOL.  Seriously I'd love to see you!

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Dont have a dog in the fight, and frankly its not really any of my bidness since i didnt compete..

just wanted to jump in here and show respect simply to the fact that you guys seriously discussed the decision to this extent. Imo, regardless of what went down, you guys completely saved face of the whole comps integrity merely by coming to the table about it.

havent met Joe in person. But have read many of his posts, and also pm’d with him a bit. From what i can gather, he does strike me as a guy that might literally back a mofo in a corner over anything that might resemble cheating. Notice his stance in regards to topics like PEDs as an example. That said, i cant really see the guy pulling any funny stuff.

Thank you Tommy. It’s just awesome to have the support you all have given us in this. It’s not every day that one is insinuated on an Internet forum to have done something even minutely shady. I put my money where my mouth is, as would every person at the Wyalusing venue would. I’m sure those that know me will say what I’ve accomplished speaks for itself. Not too mention those sand filled double fatman blob lifts and plastic 20 pound sledgehammer kisses x6 post contest feats 😆😆😆😆😆.... and I’m sure it doesn’t have to be said that I’m being sarcastic. 😂 

2 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Dont have a dog in the fight, and frankly its not really any of my bidness since i didnt compete..

just wanted to jump in here and show respect simply to the fact that you guys seriously discussed the decision to this extent. Imo, regardless of what went down, you guys completely saved face of the whole comps integrity merely by coming to the table about it.

havent met Joe in person. But have read many of his posts, and also pm’d with him a bit. From what i can gather, he does strike me as a guy that might literally back a mofo in a corner over anything that might resemble cheating. Notice his stance in regards to topics like PEDs as an example. That said, i cant really see the guy pulling any funny stuff.

To quote you Tommy, saying it really wasn’t any of your business and that you didn’t compete, I believe the one that made the insinuation  also didn’t compete! Good point! Someone that actually has my personal phone number that could’ve reached out and asked questions himself rather than posting it on the board on the Internet! To say that I am not pissed would be a lie!

14 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Man im sorry to hear that..

you never know though. Give it some time and things will sort out.

who ever it was, its prolly not personal? I dont know.

My nature is a “forgive and forget kind of guy Tommy”. If someone ever  reaches out to me asking for sincere forgiveness, I never turn them away. I am forgiven by God when I ask forgiveness, so who am I to deny someone else the same luxury that I don’t deserve. 

I think I can put this whole thing to rest.  I just PMd Brad Castleberry.  After explaining the situation to him and sending him video of the event, he PMd me back with the following: 

"Looks totally legit to me Brocefus!"

I'm pretty sure there isn't a more trusted name in the iron game than Brad right now.  So, I think we can safely say there were no Shenanigans. 

BTW: He sent me a new video of him strict curling 495.  Look for it on the Youtubes soon.  Guy's a straight up beast.  

• Haha 2

I can’t believe this is a topic thread. It’s all speculation until the device is reviewed and Andrew and Eric issue a decision.  Competitors compete. Judges judge. Don’t judge the competitors or compete with the judges.

i hope I get the opportunity to complete with Joe at a future contest. I am going to call him “The Modifier “ the whole time and every time he touches a grip implement, I will yell over to the promoter, “Did you check that for tampering?!?” I think that should shake his mental game enough to move me up in the overall standings. After all “If you ain’t cheatin, are you really even trying to win”.  - poor tasteless humor

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

I can’t believe this is a topic thread. It’s all speculation until the device is reviewed and Andrew and Eric issue a decision.  Competitors compete. Judges judge. Don’t judge the competitors or compete with the judges.

i hope I get the opportunity to complete with Joe at a future contest. I am going to call him “The Modifier “ the whole time and every time he touches a grip implement, I will yell over to the promoter, “Did you check that for tampering?!?” I think that should shake his mental game enough to move me up in the overall standings. After all “If you ain’t cheatin, are you really even trying to win”.  - poor tasteless humor

Definitely hilarious this is even a topic. 😂😂😂

4 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Don’t judge the competitors or compete with the judges.

This blew my mind, not even sure what life is about anymore

• Like 4

This topic has branched off into people saying I accused Joe of "tampering" - that is ridiculous and it was never a consideration on my behalf nor did I post such nonsense. I was not alone  in thinking the results were very large vs. last year pulls.  I was very happy NOT jealous(why in the fudge would I be) of the results. I mentioned in earlier post I was wrong to single out Joe's lifts but I like to try to lift what he does( which is very hard to do) and thought WOW. I did not know there was a possible "harder" Crusher handle pre '16 and an "easier" handle.  However, when I get e-mails from people(over 10 that competed)most that are not even really close to me asking my perspective on crusher results - I just felt it would be wise if organizers issued a brief statement saying xyz and nothing nefarious took place. If that many are asking someone from Oregon,its pretty good assumption that the worldwide (yearly competitors) might have been seen results with some curiosity. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

This topic has branched off into people saying I accused Joe of "tampering" - that is ridiculous and it was never a consideration on my behalf nor did I post such nonsense. I was not alone  in thinking the results were very large vs. last year pulls.  I was very happy NOT jealous(why in the fudge would I be) of the results. I mentioned in earlier post I was wrong to single out Joe's lifts but I like to try to lift what he does( which is very hard to do) and thought WOW. I did not know there was a possible "harder" Crusher handle pre '16 and an "easier" handle.  However, when I get e-mails from people(over 10 that competed)most that are not even really close to me asking my perspective on crusher results - I just felt it would be wise if organizers issued a brief statement saying xyz and nothing nefarious took place. If that many are asking someone from Oregon,its pretty good assumption that the worldwide (yearly competitors) might have been seen results with some curiosity. 

If that’s an apology Michael, I accept.