Best Supporting Grip of All Time?

Bill Piche

Based on what I have seen first hand he would absolutely demolish most of those guys in allround wrist strength. 

He came over to Sweden to compete in 2003 a couple of months after his dad passed away with very little training for obvious reasons. The events included a pretty wide pinch set up (71 mm width). He beat us all in the 2hp and finished second overall, only because we allowed Benny [a very strong strongman] an extra, fifth RT attempt after he pulled the weight easily but then let go of it at lockout because of inexperience. Had we stuck to the rules (which I regret to this day that we didn't) then David would have won. Back then he did not train grippers much and it showed as his setting technique was horrible. Grippers was one of the events btw.

Some of the strongmen attending the competition were training with Magnus Samuelson at times to give you an idea of their strength level.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 3

Competing organisers will always have an advantage. It is unavoidable so it is true that you cannot use the results of David's own competitions as a reliable measure of how he would stack up against others on a more neutral battleground.

Naturally, this does not apply to standard events such as the Euro pinch.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

In a typical US style grip comp format that includes a medley, David's success would depend on whether the emphasis was placed more towards thickbar strength or wrist strength in the medley. We know he kicks just about everyone's butt in the Euro 2HP and I believe his gripper performance has improved over the years. In a wrist heavy medley there is a good chance he would beat everyone but definitely not if the emphasis is on thickbar.

18 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

As for Chris James, Wow, I really like to see a video of him farming walk a 600Kg, that's awesome!

@Paul Savage any video? I would like to see it especially since the strongman comp here only two days back the strongest of the strong had a very tough time doing sub 600KG yoke.

3 hours ago, Alawadhi said:

@Paul Savage any video? I would like to see it especially since the strongman comp here only two days back the strongest of the strong had a very tough time doing sub 600KG yoke.

Read over my post, 300kg one hand farmer lift. Think the video was on here but can't really remember.

9 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

In a typical US style grip comp format that includes a medley, David's success would depend on whether the emphasis was placed more towards thickbar strength or wrist strength in the medley. We know he kicks just about everyone's butt in the Euro 2HP and I believe his gripper performance has improved over the years. In a wrist heavy medley there is a good chance he would beat everyone but definitely not if the emphasis is on thickbar.

Wasn't the champions of champions comp he won in the states back in early 2000's (??) ?

Definitely get the promoters thing but that puts every promoter out of luck to be taken serious etc someone has to put on comps at the end of the day and at least and most of the time with grip there competitors. At least he announced worlds strongest hands plenty early etc yes could train on a prototype and he would have done I'm sure they need tested etc but if everyone has several months training on equipment they can buy I feel that's fair enough and there's never been any cheating involved etc Also we need to remember he's not been great at every one of his products e.g meat hooks, moon top, adjustable thickbar etc

As for thickbar maybe not Hus strongest thing but still very strong in it, there's an easy lift and hold of double inch (heavy and middle) on his channel and can lift thumbless etc course retired now but deserves a ton of respect in my opinion, done loads for the sport.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 11:43 AM, Alawadhi said:

This too. Brian was smaller and weaker back then.

I forgot to mention there was like a friendly challenge on Facebook between Laine and Rich on the country crush. Laine numbers was better. But Laine didn't post a video. He is that type. I do believe it. But he DID ask Rich to have his max sent after he (Laine) will post his max. Rich blocked Laine.
Another thing is, Mark Felix attempted the Millennium bell and could barely move it. Mark has beated Brian Shaw in RT too in the same contest. But Brian is much stronger now. So for Axle, I go with Mike Burk. For one hand thick bar, I go with Laine whether is a dumbbell or an axle. For WW, Laine. For country crush, Laine. For a 3" or 3.5" axle (which requires you less weight), Laine. RT, Laine. Farmers walk inch, Burk. Inch clean for reps without touching the body, Laine. Thumbless deadlift or even DO, Burk or Shaw.

I’m very surprised that Felix could not lift that with his 12 inch hands 

1 hour ago, Paul Savage said:

Read over my post, 300kg one hand farmer lift. Think the video was on here but can't really remember.

Yeah that's different. Way different from 300Kg per hand farmers walk. Steve has done more I think. But Steve is a Millennium lifter. Yeah I also remember you said you lifted the Millennium from a book height.

1 hour ago, Paul Savage said:

Wasn't the champions of champions comp he won in the states back in early 2000's (??) ?

Definitely get the promoters thing but that puts every promoter out of luck to be taken serious etc someone has to put on comps at the end of the day and at least and most of the time with grip there competitors. At least he announced worlds strongest hands plenty early etc yes could train on a prototype and he would have done I'm sure they need tested etc but if everyone has several months training on equipment they can buy I feel that's fair enough and there's never been any cheating involved etc Also we need to remember he's not been great at every one of his products e.g meat hooks, moon top, adjustable thickbar etc

As for thickbar maybe not Hus strongest thing but still very strong in it, there's an easy lift and hold of double inch (heavy and middle) on his channel and can lift thumbless etc course retired now but deserves a ton of respect in my opinion, done loads for the sport.

Definitely. but I believe no one is arguing that.

3 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I’m very surprised that Felix could not lift that with his 12 inch hands 

Yes. But this bell is very hard. I don't why why people assume that anyone can lift it. Someone told me he can clean it if he grabs it. I was like yeah right, but he got very upset when I told him try.

On 10/25/2018 at 10:29 AM, Tommy J. said:

Hard to do an all time list. Ill just go with what i consider the stand outs.

Over 200

Wade

Chad

Jedd

Andrew

Mike Burke

Brian Shaw

Mobster

Laine

Rich

Tex

Mark Felix

Juha

Chris James

Tank

under 200

Adam Glass

Gil

Tanner

Eric R.

best BW thickbar guys are a toss up between Tanner and Adam.

I Definitely say  Tanner over Adam, but Adam is awesome in his own right. Adam has been as high as 230 pounds at times, no?  Isn’t he a much bigger guy than Tanner by far. Isn’t  Adam a little over 6 feet  and sometimes as high as 230?Ir am I mistaken? Lemme know Tommy

1 minute ago, Tommy J. said:

Not right now, no. Adam is under 200 at this time. And is back training grip. And has retained his thickbar strength from when he was heavier, and then some. I posted above about it.

I do not disagree David is awesome. However, he has no business being listed in an all time greats thickbar thread any more than i do..

Pinch, yeah. Crush or thickbar, no.

Yea I saw that when I scrolled back.Sorry brother 

22 minutes ago, Alawadhi said:

Yeah that's different. Way different from 300Kg per hand farmers walk. Steve has done more I think. But Steve is a Millennium lifter. Yeah I also remember you said you lifted the Millennium from a book height.

Definitely. but I believe no one is arguing that.

Yes. But this bell is very hard. I don't why why people assume that anyone can lift it. Someone told me he can clean it if he grabs it. I was like yeah right, but he got very upset when I told him try.

Definitely not assuming just anyone can lift it. This is Mark Felix we are talking about. One of the strongest grips in the world and probably one of the largest hands around. Would think he was more than capable