Southwest Region GripSport Championships

acorn

1 hour ago, acorn said:

We are testing some coatings to try and get a better consistent hook up with chalk. Whatever we do it will be on the whole bar and I will try to season conventional stance area as well.

Ah, very good. Thanks, Aaron!

On 2/21/2019 at 12:56 PM, acorn said:

I would love it if @Rogo gave some input

I am not going to have a protractor in hand but will not be allowing excessive tilt. Excessive being defined as about 15-20deg angle. Maybe even that is too much. Planning on giving visual example in rules meeting. Does not have to be perfectly level though on the lift. If we do end up lifting it to a platform then would only be judging tilt on the way up to the platform. My initial thinking is 18 or 24" height. A standard weight bench is about 18" and I feel like pretty much anyone should be able to work with that height without a high pull as well as show control of the dumbbell on the way up.

- Aaron

Aaron I did a ton of talking and settled on 20" for legends for the Inch to platform height. Then I added a safety lip to the platform bringing it to 21". My gut says 18" would be a safe bet. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Aaron I did a ton of talking and settled on 20" for legends for the Inch to platform height. Then I added a safety lip to the platform bringing it to 21". My gut says 18" would be a safe bet. 

I gave Martin the go ahead to make the platform at 18" height. Thanks for letting me know.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, acorn said:

I gave Martin the go ahead to make the platform at 18" height. Thanks for letting me know.

Fabrication is underway.  Making it out of 3" OD axle.  Should be beefy enough for dropping Inch DBs on it, training elephants to stand on it, and driving tanks over it. 😉

• Like 1

Hey another question - might have a lady friend joining me on the trip to Tucson, and I'm trying to convince her to compete (it's the whole nail trimming thing).  I know Emily will compete.  Are there any other women competing?  

1 hour ago, bwwm said:

Hey another question - might have a lady friend joining me on the trip to Tucson, and I'm trying to convince her to compete (it's the whole nail trimming thing).  I know Emily will compete.  Are there any other women competing?  

Well.. uh... you know.... @Tommy J. has mentioned gender fluidity in other threads.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, bwwm said:

There is at least one other lady down here that is planning on competing and Michelle had expressed interest though I haven't talked to her in awhile. I'll reach out to her today and see if she is still interested.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Do i get a discount on the entry fee if i compete as a man AND a woman? 😬

Umm, no.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Leah @spaceparakeet, expressed interest in competing. She competed last year and put in a strong performance considering she had not touched any of the implements prior to the comp.

Leah has been training with Steve and I at the gym for the comp and is planning on competing.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 9:31 AM, WestSlope said:

She's going to do quite well training with you.

I know how lucky I am to have such access to training equipment and expert advice.  I shall try to make Sensei proud...  😋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JHenze646 said:

So awesome!! Do you think this would have to be checked baggage or a carry-on? 😜

We are driving.  So its both. 

• Like 2

Adam, I want to thank you for making this incredible trophy for the contest. Someone is gonna go home with a really nice piece of equipment.

- Aaron

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all that offered kind words.  @acorn, there is no way I could top the trophies made by you and @bwwm.  I really hope to bring one of those home.  

1 minute ago, Adam Juncker said:

Thanks to all that offered kind words.  @acorn, there is no way I could top the trophies made by you and @bwwm.  I really hope to bring one of those home.  

Thank you. I hope you take one home too. Looking forward to visiting with you as well when you are out here.

I am going to try and get the entry form and paypal stuff done tomorrow. So that should be up soon.

19 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Did you guys decide on the db tilt?

btw i plan to have my worst ever gripper performance in comp. 😉

I would like to do some test lifts to platform to see if there is that much impact. At this point I don't mind a little tilt but hate seeing excessive tilt. Lemme get back to you though. Oh no on grippers!

18 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Thanks! 

And yeah... my gripper strength is pitiful right now... 😔

It happens. When y'all come out I am looking forward to discussing training and showing off some of the toys.

• Like 1

Adam - awesome fabrication work, and great video!  I can't do straight lines, that's why I blacksmith. 😉 

An open question for all prospective attendees.  Aaron is thinking about bringing his Inch DB to the contest.  Is there anybody interested in doing a double lift?  If so, I will bring mine as well.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Not to get too nerdy, but have you decided the order of events?.. gonna try to train based on the order of events

No worries. Would be Grippers, Saxon, then thickbar.