Jump to content
acorn

Southwest Region GripSport Championships

Recommended Posts

Adam Juncker

I'll be lucky to make it in the 93k thanks to Christmas candy.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acorn

Ok, will be running a Mens 83kg, 105kg, and 105+kg class as well as Women's class for this contest. Top 3 custom trophies for each class as well as a trophy for Overall winner.

- Aaron

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bwwm

... and if Steve's wife competes, I'll make her a skull as a participation trophy. 😉

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acorn
25 minutes ago, bwwm said:

... and if Steve's wife competes, I'll make her a skull as a participation trophy. 😉

I'll let her know.

Btw, I will be attempting to be at the Gym Tucson Strength where we will be hosting the comp most Saturday mornings between now and the contest date with contest equipment. Been doing my Saxon bar work on Saturday mornings there and other grip work Weds evenings there in case any local folks want a chance to train on the contest equipment.

- Aaron

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bornintothe

I’d be down to compete here if circumstances allow. I would be planning to show in the -105kg class. 

Edited by Bornintothe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
climber511
On 12/11/2018 at 10:59 AM, Cannon said:

@acorn

I am making strides with my Saxon lifts.  This took some getting used to.  I surprised how different of a lift Saxon is compared to 2HP or Flask.  It's hard to explain, but I discovered I can actually get a better grip if I set-up while kneeling and then stand and lift with my grip already set.  Hovering over it, I just can't get into position.  I wanted to check a few things just to be sure:

1) The pinching width is exactly 2" and there is no other choice right?
2) What is the lift lockout or lift height requirement?   
3) Tilting obvious makes it easier.  Any amount of tilt you can physically muster is allowed, right?   
4) There is hardly any data for this in the NAGS lists.  What is a good lift?  (I know you're lifting like 289,000 pounds).  Right now I'm shooting for bodyweight.

Thanks!

I remember up at Durniant's we had a Saxon Bar (2") and 200# seemed to be the make or break point for all the serious Euro guys weighing over 200# bodyweight.  This would have been at the Nationals held up there.  It was a Medley event so no rising bar to actually max out.  I'm going to guess BW will be a good lift regardless of size :).  My best was around the same as my Euro - around 230# or so.  It always felt easier than the Euro due to the tilt I could get but it still failed around the same weight.  I think the secret is wrist more than thumbs - unlike the Euro.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vinnie
10 hours ago, climber511 said:

I remember up at Durniant's we had a Saxon Bar (2") and 200# seemed to be the make or break point for all the serious Euro guys weighing over 200# bodyweight.  This would have been at the Nationals held up there.  It was a Medley event so no rising bar to actually max out.  I'm going to guess BW will be a good lift regardless of size :).  My best was around the same as my Euro - around 230# or so.  It always felt easier than the Euro due to the tilt I could get but it still failed around the same weight.  I think the secret is wrist more than thumbs - unlike the Euro.

I found the Saxon bar easier than Euro; my Euro max is 193, and the only time I tried a Saxon bar was at Nate's, maxed 203 and it felt easier than 193 on Euro was.  I guess that's not that far apart anyway, and also, everything at Nate's is charmed (never tried his Euro, maybe would have made 203 on that!).

I would love to go to this comp but I don't see that flight in the budget :(  Enjoy, guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:43 AM, JHenze646 said:

*casually mentions the existence of a master set of grippers*

What!?! Will you also be arriving in AZ by extraterrestrial air service and using your pet unicorn for local travel once you arrive? 😳

I dug into this to double-check.  I learned 2 things:

1) I'm missing a 190 gripper.  I think that might be the rarest number if you're trying to cover strictly with IM and GHP. 

2) There are a few GHPs in the set for numbers that IM just cannot service, even as outliers.  90 is a GHP 4.  115 is a GHP 5.  160 and 165 are GHP 8s.  I think that's it.  The rest is IronMind. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acorn
13 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I dug into this to double-check.  I learned 2 things:

1) I'm missing a 190 gripper.  I think that might be the rarest number if you're trying to cover strictly with IM and GHP. 

2) There are a few GHPs in the set for numbers that IM just cannot service, even as outliers.  90 is a GHP 4.  115 is a GHP 5.  160 and 165 are GHP 8s.  I think that's it.  The rest is IronMind. 

 

I have a 190# gripper I think it might be an adjustable mount SE or GE. Also have one at 160 and 165 both adjustable mount BBE's btw. We can certainly use those if you want.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acorn
11 hours ago, Bornintothe said:

I’d be down to compete here if circumstances allow. I would be planning to show in the -105kg class. 

Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acorn
36 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I found the Saxon bar easier than Euro; my Euro max is 193, and the only time I tried a Saxon bar was at Nate's, maxed 203 and it felt easier than 193 on Euro was.  I guess that's not that far apart anyway, and also, everything at Nate's is charmed (never tried his Euro, maybe would have made 203 on that!).

I would love to go to this comp but I don't see that flight in the budget :(  Enjoy, guys.

Totally understand if you cannot make it. Flights are expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon
1 hour ago, acorn said:

I have a 190# gripper I think it might be an adjustable mount SE or GE. Also have one at 160 and 165 both adjustable mount BBE's btw. We can certainly use those if you want.

 

Yeah adjusting a gripper to 190 is a good solution if I cannot find one.  For the GHPs, they are also brand new and it's highly unlikely they can ever be replaced with IM grippers so I will probably leave them in the set permanently. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acorn

I finally got around to painting the hemi-globe plates for the Thickbar event and fine steel shot media should be here in the next few days. Hopefully will get the 2" handle made for the womens thickbar event this evening if all goes well. Getting equipment prepped and ready.

- Aaron

49245639_2472873032726280_7687048147582844928_n.thumb.jpg.9aa42e190f1d5d90d518d634cd9c5385.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adam Juncker
On 1/25/2019 at 2:20 PM, acorn said:

I finally got around to painting the hemi-globe plates for the Thickbar event and fine steel shot media should be here in the next few days. Hopefully will get the 2" handle made for the womens thickbar event this evening if all goes well. Getting equipment prepped and ready.

- Aaron

49245639_2472873032726280_7687048147582844928_n.thumb.jpg.9aa42e190f1d5d90d518d634cd9c5385.jpg

What will this weigh without plates?  And, I assume you will allow the lifting hand to contact/brace against the hemispheres?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acorn
11 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

What will this weigh without plates?  And, I assume you will allow the lifting hand to contact/brace against the hemispheres?

I think the handle by itself was around 22#. With the hemisphere shot loading plates empty it's around 39#. Will be filling them with fine steel shot and don't know the weight of shot they will take yet full but should have the shot tomorrow to find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld

Alrighty, I just submitted my request for time off from work to do something more important - Grip.  Hopefully all the seats of my car will be occupied.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acorn
8 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Alrighty, I just submitted my request for time off from work to do something more important - Grip.  Hopefully all the seats of my car will be occupied.

Awesome!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon

Somehow, I "forgot" to train for this contest during January. :inno  Whoopsie.  Back on it.  :fear

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bwwm

Wow Matt - you're heading down too?  Pretty amazing all the people showing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cannon
9 hours ago, bwwm said:

Wow Matt - you're heading down too?  Pretty amazing all the people showing up.

Yep!  Kristy is coming too, but I don't think she is competing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acorn
1 hour ago, Cannon said:

Yep!  Kristy is coming too, but I don't think she is competing. 

Awesome!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acorn

So have some updates. It looks like there may be a venue change. Turns out the gym I was working with is going to be involved in a USPA PL meet the same day at the Southern AZ Fit Expo. The gym owner suggested maybe we could run the comp at the same time and at the Fit Expo if there is space. I have been in contact with the folks running the PL meet and they are interested in having us join them since they will have extra space. Working out details. Still would be 4/13/2019. Will have more info soon.

- Aaron

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
daniel reinard

I hope they are able to get you a space. Honestly we could do it in the street as long as it's the same day now that we have plane tickets. Lol. If you have to pay for a space maybe Emily and I could help.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acorn

Yep will be same day. Sounds like they will have plenty of space in the area they are doing the PL meet and are willing to share. I have the question out now regarding any site fees, etc. I suspect that the fit expo here is pretty small, never been to it myself. Could be fun exposure for Grip sport though. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.