Southwest Region GripSport Championships

acorn

On 4/6/2019 at 1:27 PM, Vinnie said:

unless of course my divorce is not final yet by then in which case I will take a trip off a tall building instead. 

Hang in there bud, I know times are dark now, but there is light on the other end.  A few of us have been through the same hell, and we're pulling for you.  Feel free to reach out if you need any advice, etc.

• Like 2

4 DAYS OUT!

Busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest over here trying to get trophies and custom plates for the Inch handle event done in time. Let me just say I think the trophies will be epic.

6 of the 10 new 5Kg plates are finished machinined. The other 4 still need the outside diameter turned and I have been doing passes between other things. The Trophy bases of Alder are stained and Lacquered, 6 of the cactus are welded up, 4 of those acid etched and primed, one of those copper coated with patina acid applied to make it green. The rest of the cactus need to be welded up, etc but at least the bottom mount area on it is machined. 4 Plinth blocks are cut and drilled and primed, and one of those copper coated with patina making solution applied. Still a bunch to do but getting closer. Going to try and weld up more of the cactuses tonight and whatever else I can get done to get more primed. 

Oh and my truck broke down last Thursday and wont be fixed until next week. That didn't help. Driving our spare truck, my wifes old beater that barely has enough power to pull away from stopped and is missing something terrible.

Ok enough venting. Have a great day and see you guys soon!

- Aaron

• Like 3

Also I want to thank sponsor Nate @anwnate for sending a box full of prizes to be given away! 

Thank you!

- Aaron

• Like 4

On 4/5/2019 at 11:55 AM, acorn said:

Awesome, I know a place that has a decent steak and interesting ambiance. Don't wear a tie they will cut it off and nail it to the ceiling. Plus if you time it right they have gun fighting shows and blow stuff up, bonus! Pinnacle Peak Steak House at http://www.traildusttown.com/

- Aaron 

Now I'm missing AZ bad haha!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I thought he was coming??

It looks like he may not be after all.

16 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I thought he was coming??

As much as it pains me...I'm gonna have to eat my nonrefundable ticket.  Once again, life is getting in the way of grip.

Please enjoy the moment for me...and if it's not too much to ask, write up a trip report so I can experience it vicariously.

• Sad 2

Oh btw, if my calculations are right we should be able to load the Inch DB handle to at least 223# with the new thin solid 5Kg plates I have been working on. That is without the shorty spinlock collars I was going to make and now don't have time to do. If I had those as well would be able to hit at least 255#. Well beyond anything I am ever going to lift on it. I hope the 223# covers what Tanner or Adam or anyone else can do.

- Aaron

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, acorn said:

Oh btw, if my calculations are right we should be able to load the Inch DB handle to at least 223# with the new thin solid 5Kg plates I have been working on. That is without the shorty spinlock collars I was going to make and now don't have time to do. If I had those as well would be able to hit at least 255#. Well beyond anything I am ever going to lift on it. I hope the 223# covers what Tanner or Adam or anyone else can do.

- Aaron

Just 223?  Good thing I won't be there.  Oh wait, you mean with one hand?  ;)  lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, acorn said:

- Aaron

Adam has a #220 bell with a slick as glass handle. We can hop it off the ground sometimes. 

If there isn’t much rotation and the handle has a good texture....maybe we can get there . That will be my goal, max out the handle!

11 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Adam has a #220 bell with a slick as glass handle. We can hop it off the ground sometimes. 

If there isn’t much rotation and the handle has a good texture....maybe we can get there . That will be my goal, max out the handle!

Jesus

• Like 1

Competitor list update as well as progress updates.

If you are joining us but have not gotten your entry yet please consider doing so.

I want to send out a big thanks to sponsors! Your help and donations are greatly appreciated! If anyone else is interested in sponsoring please let me know.

Martin Braun 

Adam Juncker

Daniel and Emily Reinard

Cannon Powerworks - (Loaning us full contest set of grippers!)

Nathaniel Brous

Entries so far including likely division

Men

83Kg Division

Daniel Reinard - 83Kg - Paid

Michael Rogowski - 83Kg? - Paid

Steve Callahan - 83Kg - Paid

105Kg Division

Durry Becker

Steve Millard - 105kg - Paid

Eric Milfeld - 105kg - Paid

Adam Juncker - 105kg

Adam Glass - 105kg

Tommy Jennings - 105Kg - Paid -- Not coming

Tanner Merkle - 105Kg - Paid

Mike Moran - 105Kg - Paid

Daryn Herzberg -105Kg?

105+ Kg Division

Aaron Corcorran - 105+ kg

Martin Braun -105+ kg

Brandon Azevedo -105+ Kg

Womens 

Leah Einecker - Paid

Emily Reinard - Paid

Making progress on trophies. I hope I have the coatings done in time on the last few. It is going to be close and some late nights between now and Saturday. Last night I was able to do first coat of copper on 3 more, and acid etch and prime another 2 Sahuaros. 2 more 5Kg plates finished and one more just needs chamfers on the outside. That leaves one left to finish outside diameter turning. I cleaned up and ground tops of remaining Sahuaro parts and arms last night as well. I had hoped to get them welded but there was not enough time. Have to get welding and priming of remaining ones done tonight in order to have a chance at finishing coatings in time on the last 6 as well as cut the remaining plinths and get those primed.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
update info
  • Like 3

That's a lot of worked involved in the trophies!  But I, for one, surely appreciate it.  Your contest always has the best trophies!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

That's a lot of worked involved in the trophies!  But I, for one, surely appreciate it.  Your contest always has the best trophies!

Agreed! I love my aluminium gripper trophy from 2017...really hope I can come away with one of these. Thanks for putting in so much work Aaron 

• Like 2

This year, the trophies were a hell of a collaboration.  I don't think either Aaron or I thought they would be this much work, but the sneak previews I'm seeing are pretty amazing.  I think these are the best ones to date.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bwwm said:

This year, the trophies were a hell of a collaboration.  I don't think either Aaron or I thought they would be this much work, but the sneak previews I'm seeing are pretty amazing.  I think these are the best ones to date.

Big thanks to you too Martin! 

• Like 2

Competitor list update as well as progress updates.

If you are joining us but have not gotten your entry yet please consider doing so.

I want to send out a big thanks to sponsors! Your help and donations are greatly appreciated! If anyone else is interested in sponsoring please let me know.

Martin Braun 

Adam Juncker

Daniel and Emily Reinard

Cannon Powerworks - (Loaning us full contest set of grippers!)

Nathaniel Brous

Entries so far including likely division

Men

83Kg Division

Daniel Reinard - 83Kg - Paid

Michael Rogowski - 83Kg? - Paid

Steve Callahan - 83Kg - Paid

105Kg Division

Durry Becker

Steve Millard - 105kg - Paid

Eric Milfeld - 105kg - Paid

Adam Juncker - 105kg

Adam Glass - 105kg

Tommy Jennings - 105Kg - Paid -- Not coming

Tanner Merkle - 105Kg - Paid

Mike Moran - 105Kg - Paid

Daryn Herzberg -105Kg?

105+ Kg Division

Aaron Corcorran - 105+ kg

Martin Braun -105+ kg

Brandon Azevedo -105+ Kg

Ian Gillaspie - 105+Kg?

Womens 

Leah Einecker - Paid

Emily Reinard - Paid

Progress update. I picked up the equipment from the gym last night to get accurate weights on the 2 DBs and check out the Saxon. I managed to weld up the remaining 6 Sahuaros and get them primed as well as a little patina work on the already completed ones. I cut the rest of the Plinths to height (8x) and got 2 of those deburred and primed. Patina done on 3 plinths and one cactus, those just need clear coats now. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. I finished turning the 9th of the 5Kg plates and started finish turning on the last and 10th one. Pretty thrashed today. Got to bed about midnight or a little after last night. Elbows, etc barking today. Not expecting any great lifts from myself at this point in the comp but hoping to have everything done and put on a good comp for those that show up.

- Aaron

• Like 3

Folks, if anybody is looking to do a double Inch lift after the comp, I can bring mine down, and you can lift mine & Aaron's.  Let me know tonight!  

Game on!!!!

People said bring it, so I'm bringing it. ;) Inch db that is. :D

• Like 1

Sorry to miss it.  Have fun!

• Like 1

Masterful work Aaron!!! Nice job!!!