• Like 5

3 hours ago, bwwm said:

Got the Platform finished up.  It ain't pretty, but it ain't breaking. 😉

IMG_20190316_153412552.jpg

IMG_20190316_153419420.jpg

What is the top made from?

8 hours ago, acorn said:

Tanner will you be in the 105Kg?

Yup, I have been eating well haha. My work just gave me the weekend off. I’m excited to see you guys again. 2017 Cactus grip shootout was so fun, that was my first real competition. 

• Like 2

Maybe Nationals was just before that....I don’t recall now. Either way! 

5 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Upped my PR to about 205, which might be only a few pounds short of not being less than every guy on that competitor list.  At least some of you probably warm up with less anyway.

Pshh idk man. You may beat me with that. I really wanna come out for the comradery, but I haven’t been able to do any narrow pinch with my left hand in a couple months...I am working with a nagging thumb injury at the moment. Thickbar is a go though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

What is the top made from?

That's cut up from a massive piece of angle iron the guy who sold me my tractor gave me.  All that metal is 1/2" thick.  I cut right before the corner so there would be a nice lip to keep the bells from rolling off.  The slats are welded on from both the top and bottom.  I threw all the amps my Lincoln 180 could put in it, and had just enough wire feed to keep the arc going to be sure I had plenty of penetration with the solid core.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bwwm said:

That's cut up from a massive piece of angle iron the guy who sold me my tractor gave me.  All that metal is 1/2" thick.  I cut right before the corner so there would be a nice lip to keep the bells from rolling off.  The slats are welded on from both the top and bottom.  I threw all the amps my Lincoln 180 could put in it, and had just enough wire feed to keep the arc going to be sure I had plenty of penetration with the solid core.  

I like it.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 12:23 PM, acorn said:

I finished this guy up Saturday night. Pivoting Saxon top for my solid loading pin. Same 2x5 dimension as my main bar and I expect it to feel like the full length bar with this center pivot setup. Will be testing this week 2H. Tested this weekend with one hand at about 80# which is weight in the pic with those 12.5# plates and it felt like the full bar minus the balance issues of the full bar. Will have it available for warmups and spectators to try during the comp.

- Aaron

54233794_2555235971156652_128722222855487488_n.thumb.jpg.000fa5951bbafc8e92bf864c3837d41f.jpg

Taking this beasty to the gym tonight to do a little testing. Supposed to be deloading though so I am going to try hard not to max out.

- Aaron

• Like 3

That swiveling 2x5" pinch block looks great Aaron - I had the pleasure of getting some pulls in on Nate's FBBC 2x5" saxon bar this Saturday with Vinnie and a bunch of the other guys and its definitely the most comfortable pinch width I've ever used - also got around 205lbs too which is the most I've ever pulled on any two-hand pinch lift period - part of that is also Nate's grip shrine's magic seasoning imbued on any object that lives in there - definitely looking forward to training on this width regularly - you clearly know what you're doing good sir!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, acorn said:

Taking this beasty to the gym tonight to do a little testing. Supposed to be deloading though so I am going to try hard not to max out.

- Aaron

I will hopefully get a chance to try this when we come down.  If I like it, I may convert my Saxon bar to this to save some space.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

That swiveling 2x5" pinch block looks great Aaron - I had the pleasure of getting some pulls in on Nate's FBBC 2x5" saxon bar this Saturday with Vinnie and a bunch of the other guys and its definitely the most comfortable pinch width I've ever used - also got around 205lbs too which is the most I've ever pulled on any two-hand pinch lift period - part of that is also Nate's grip shrine's magic seasoning imbued on any object that lives in there - definitely looking forward to training on this width regularly - you clearly know what you're doing good sir!

Shhh Anton, we were dancing on the edge of impressive with those pulls, we don't have to tell them it was Nate's special sauce and not us ...

But seriously, Nate's implements are really ideal.  I love working out on them.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

I will hopefully get a chance to try this when we come down.  If I like it, I may convert my Saxon bar to this to save some space.  

Tried it last night and really liked it. Still needs some chalk seasoning though. Pulled 110# 1H and 235 for an easy triple. The dynamics of it feel like the Saxon.

Oh and I plan to have it setup for warmups and spectators to try at the comp as well.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
  • Like 2

Cactii for the trophies in progress...  A few action shots with an arm right out of the coal.  Still need to shape the ends a little bit on these.  These are all hot cut, and bent on the anvil.  The long segment is 10"  This is all 1" (#😎 rebar.

IMG_20190321_204358985.jpg

IMG_20190321_204415558.jpg

IMG_20190321_214639269.jpg

IMG_20190322_173928957.jpg

Edited by bwwm
  • Like 9

So cool, Martin!

• Like 1

The trophies are for 1st 2nd and 3rd in each weight class?  Because there aren't more than 3 in the 83K.  So I'd be guaranteed a cactus.  Then I'd absolutely have to go.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

The trophies are for 1st 2nd and 3rd in each weight class?  Because there aren't more than 3 in the 83K.  So I'd be guaranteed a cactus.  Then I'd absolutely have to go.

I always knew you were just in it for the cactus.

• Like 3

Yes, first, second and third for each weight class, and women's.  Not sure if they will let you take the trophies as carry-on's on the plane. As just the rebar probably weighs about 4#'s if this calculator is right https://www.harrissupplysolutions.com/8-rebar.html

• Like 1

If you guys are just in it for the cactii, we can send you home with some prickly pear beer. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Work is ongoing on the trophies and thin solid 5Kg plates for the Inch DB so we can accommodate big thick bar folks who are going to pull over standard Inch weight. I have the first pair of those done and am taking the other 8 to get waterjet cut to rough size today so I can get them done in time. Martin is nearly done with the blacksmithed 1" thick rebar sahuaros that will be used as the tops for the trophies and I plan to start welding those tonight or tomorrow. I have the first half of the pieces already. I have a few other local folks who have said they are competing but have not gotten entries yet as well. 2 weeks out folks you getting excited yet?!?! 

If you are joining us but have not gotten your entry yet please consider doing so.

I want to send out a big thanks to sponsors! Your help and donations are greatly appreciated! If anyone else is interested in sponsoring please let me know.

Martin Braun 

Adam Juncker

Daniel and Emily Reinard

Cannon Powerworks - (Loaning us full contest set of grippers!)

Entries so far including likely division

Men

83Kg Division

Daniel Reinard - 83Kg - Paid

Michael Rogowski - 83Kg? - Paid

105Kg Division

Durry Becker

Steve Millard - 105kg - Paid

Eric Milfeld - 105kg - Paid

Adam Juncker - 105kg

Adam Glass - 105kg

Tommy Jennings - 105Kg - Paid

Tanner Merkle - 105Kg - Paid

105+ Kg Division

Aaron Corcorran - 105+ kg

Martin Braun -105+ kg

Brandon Azevedo -105+ Kg

Womens 

Leah Einecker - Paid

Emily Reinard - Paid

• Like 2

Just got back from dropping off the rest of the steel plate to be waterjet cut to rough shape for the 5kg plates for the Inch DB, as well as putting in the order for the trophy placard labels.

Getting closer!

20190323_141547_resized_1.thumb.jpg.0173b3c04c569df09fd140f31c9dfb0e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I asked Tim Struse to judge for us and unfortunately he and his wife are going to be out of town that weekend on vacation. Shoot. You guys may be stuck with me.

- Aaron

• Like 1

6 more cactii hammered out this week to make 12 total.  

By the way, I think they ended up being closer to 9".  I might have exaggerated the size a bit.  😁😁😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1