Southwest Region GripSport Championships

acorn

5 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

some of you may even leave with what feels like a 6 pack beginning to take shape, from all the laughing you’ll do! 😁

I knew it!  You really are a girl.  Anyway, I would have to do a LOT of laughing to get a six pack.  Right now I have like a whole CASE.

• Haha 1

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet but does the contest fee cover the expo entrance fee for competitors?

Looking forward to meeting old faces and new faces that have been long overdue. Gonna be a blast. Maybe even an abs blast if Tommy cracks us up as expected!

Edited by daniel reinard
  • Like 3

I miss living in Richardson & Garland TX.  Probably would have stayed if the ex-wife wasn't so unhappy there.  That was probably my first sign.  In retrospect, I should have took it that way and bailed. 😉 

Oh, and I don't think the folks from TX will be that thrilled about the BBQ out here, but the Mexican food out here has it's own Southwest flair that was hard to find in the Dallas area.  

• Like 1

Oh, the bigger question - where are we going after the comp for shenanigans and "hold my beer/scotch/whatever" feats ?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, daniel reinard said:

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet but does the contest fee cover the expo entrance fee for competitors?

Looking forward to meeting old faces and new faces that have been long overdue. Gonna be a blast. Maybe even an abs blast if Tommy cracks us up as expected!

Yes it will cover entrance fee for competitors. 

There is a rumor I heard last night at the gym from someone involved in running the Powerlifting comp that was going to be there that the Fit Expo may not happen. I have not heard anything from my contact that was the main promoter putting the fit expo on yet but will be reaching out today. It will be the first year for it here and I can't speak to the main promoters experience so who knows. 

Anyway if that falls apart we can still have it at the original Gym venue and entry fee would be covered as well. From my perspective it will be a lot easier to run at the gym and I should have to haul less stuff there.

- Aaron

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bwwm said:

Oh, the bigger question - where are we going after the comp for shenanigans and "hold my beer/scotch/whatever" feats ?

Probably my house. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to send out a big thanks to sponsors! Your help and donations are greatly appreciated! If anyone else is interested in sponsoring please let me know.

Martin Braun 

Adam Juncker

Daniel and Emily Reinard

Entries so far including likely division

Men

83Kg Division

Daniel Reinard - 83Kg - Paid

105Kg Division

Durry Becker

Steve Millard - 105kg - Paid

Eric Milfeld - 105kg - Paid

Adam Juncker - 105kg

Adam Glass - 105kg

105+ Kg Division

Aaron Corcorran - 105+ kg

Martin Braun -105+ kg

Womens 

Leah Einecker

Emily Reinard

Men, if you have an idea what class you are going to be in let me know so I can add it. Also, if you already did your entry but missed doing entry fee via the paypal button on entry completed page let me know what your plan is. I can give you my paypal info when you are ready to make a payment as well. I am trying to get a few things made still for the comp and cash on hand would be super helpful for that.

Thanks,

Aaron

• Thanks 1

Is the gym far from the airport area?

9 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Is the gym far from the airport area?

According to google maps the gym is 23 minutes drive from the airport.

• Like 1

Aaron, what do you say to letting me be the Beer Sponsor? Just tell me what to buy and where to get it after the meet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EricMilfeld said:

Aaron, what do you say to letting me be the Beer Sponsor? Just tell me what to buy and where to get it after the meet.

Sounds good. I am more of a whisky guy myself but we can certainly check with Zac here. I think he is planning on joining us for the comp and he works at one of the local micro-breweries as well as making some really tremendous home brews that he sometimes brings out. One year he brought a pony keg of something he brewed that was the best beer I ever have had. I think he called it a Laphroaig oaked scottish 90 shilling beer if I remember right. We started into that pony keg during the last event of the comp and I don't think it lasted 30 minutes.

- Aaron

• Like 2

Whoa... the name alone of that beer sounds really good!

• Like 1

Was that the brew he made when Emily and I were last there? I remember it was a Scottish something and it was amazing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daniel reinard said:

Was that the brew he made when Emily and I were last there? I remember it was a Scottish something and it was amazing. 

Yeah I think that was it.

I stopped by the steel supplier today and picked up the steel to make a pair of short spin lock collars and 10 thin and solid 5kg plates for the Inch handle event. Once all that is done the DB should be loadable to well over 200# with the loadable Hemisphere plates on it. Maybe as much as 230# if it all fits. That should be enough to top out even Jedd or Adam I would think. Should I do pics of the build process?

- Aaron

• Like 3

16 hours ago, acorn said:

Should I do pics of the build process?

yes please

• Like 1

Ok, sounds good. I am terrible at remembering to even take a picture at the end of a completed project so I will try to get some in process stuff.

1 hour ago, Adam Juncker said:

yes please

41 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I wanted to see this as well, but I didn't want to be the only one to ask.

I want to send out a big thanks to sponsors! Your help and donations are greatly appreciated! If anyone else is interested in sponsoring please let me know.

Martin Braun 

Adam Juncker

Daniel and Emily Reinard

Men

83Kg Division

Daniel Reinard - 83Kg - Paid

105Kg Division

Durry Becker

Adam Juncker - 105kg

Adam Glass - 105kg

Tommy Jennings - 105Kg - Paid

105+ Kg Division

Martin Braun -105+ kg

Womens 

Leah Einecker - Paid

Emily Reinard - Paid

Edited by acorn
Updating paid status.
  • Like 1

Nice job drawing the weight class boundaries!!! 😉

• Haha 1

I updated the info on the initial post of this thread. Also Venue has changed back to Tucson Strength Gym. Sounds like the promoter trying to put together the Fit Expo wasn't able to make it happen.

- Aaron

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, acorn said:

I updated the info on the initial post of this thread. Also Venue has changed back to Tucson Strength Gym. Sounds like the promoter trying to put together the Fit Expo wasn't able to make it happen.

- Aaron

Works for us. We picked a hotel 2 blocks from the gym. Maybe if I sprint in I can make weight. 

• Like 1

I finished this guy up Saturday night. Pivoting Saxon top for my solid loading pin. Same 2x5 dimension as my main bar and I expect it to feel like the full length bar with this center pivot setup. Will be testing this week 2H. Tested this weekend with one hand at about 80# which is weight in the pic with those 12.5# plates and it felt like the full bar minus the balance issues of the full bar. Will have it available for warmups and spectators to try during the comp.

- Aaron

54233794_2555235971156652_128722222855487488_n.thumb.jpg.000fa5951bbafc8e92bf864c3837d41f.jpg

• Like 11

I guess you could say it is getting pretty serious with the Texas crew including Tanner coming out now. Tanner will you be in the 105Kg?

Martin Braun 

Adam Juncker

Daniel and Emily Reinard

Men

83Kg Division

Daniel Reinard - 83Kg - Paid

105Kg Division

Durry Becker

Adam Juncker - 105kg

Adam Glass - 105kg

Tommy Jennings - 105Kg - Paid

Tanner Merkle - 105Kg - Paid

105+ Kg Division

Martin Braun -105+ kg

Womens 

Leah Einecker - Paid

Emily Reinard - Paid

Edited by acorn
  • Like 3

Look at that list of competitors.  If I am able to make it, I may have to switch from the men's 83K to the women's division, and I might be last in that, too.

But seriously, that short Saxon bar rig looks awesome, I love Saxon bar.  I was doing the full one this past Saturday for the second time.  Upped my PR to about 205, which might be only a few pounds short of not being less than every guy on that competitor list.  At least some of you probably warm up with less anyway.  So my birthday gift to myself:  if I don't make it to the comp, I should at least be able to afford to get myself a Saxon bar instead! 

See y'all, here if not there.

• Like 4