Southwest Region GripSport Championships

acorn

On 3/4/2019 at 5:57 PM, Tommy J. said:

Thanks! 

And yeah... my gripper strength is pitiful right now... 😔

Well your pitiful is another man's lifetime goal, so you know, small violin playing that sad music ...

• Haha 1

Alright, I got the online entry form and contest info updated here: http://www.az-grip.com/contests.php

As well as got the event recreated on Facebook to make it public here: https://www.facebook.com/events/491509161382816/

Once entries are in I will add names to the thread here.

5 weeks to go, are you ready?

Edited by acorn
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, acorn said:

Alright, I got the online entry form and contest info updated here: http://www.az-grip.com/contests.php

As well as got the event recreated on Facebook to make it public here: https://www.facebook.com/events/491509161382816/

Once entries are in I will add names to the thread here.

5 weeks to go, are you ready?

I booked a hotel even though still not sure I can make it, because I want to think positive and it can be cancelled up until two days before by which time I'd obviously know for sure.  Question:  is there a deadline to enter, and if so, is the fee refundable if it turns out I can't go?  (If no deadline then I will just sign up when I know I can go.)

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

I booked a hotel even though still not sure I can make it, because I want to think positive and it can be cancelled up until two days before by which time I'd obviously know for sure.  Question:  is there a deadline to enter, and if so, is the fee refundable if it turns out I can't go?  (If no deadline then I will just sign up when I know I can go.)

No deadline this time since I am not tying shirts to entry fee (if I can even get the design done in time on those). Contest fee is refundable up to start of contest. Verbal notice, etc is fine on that with me.

- Aaron

• Like 1

1 minute ago, acorn said:

No deadline this time since I am not tying shirts to entry fee (if I can even get the design done in time on those). Contest fee is refundable up to start of contest. Verbal notice, etc is fine on that with me.

- Aaron

K cool.  I am gonna have to pull the trigger pretty late but I am still a very possible, just not enough to say likely.  I love those events and really, really want to join y'all.

• Like 1

Just now, Vinnie said:

K cool.  I am gonna have to pull the trigger pretty late but I am still a very possible, just not enough to say likely.  I love those events and really, really want to join y'all.

No worries, and I hope you can make it.

- Aaron

• Like 2

Entries so far. 

Men

Aaron Corcorran - 105+ 

Durry Becker

Steve Millard - paid

Womens 

Leah Einecker

Men, if you have an idea what class you are going to be in let me know so I can add it.

Thanks

Edited by acorn
Spelling

I intend to register when I get home from work for the 105 class. 

• Like 1

Just registered.  Since there is no 95k I reckon I'll have to settle for 105k

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 8:36 PM, Tommy J. said:

Thanks, It really is bad compared to previous gripper strength though..

Yeah I know, it's a judgment against yourself.

20 hours ago, acorn said:

Entries so far. 

Men

Aaron Corcorran - 105+ 

Durry Becker

Steve Millard - paid

Womens 

Leah Einecker

Men, if you have an idea what class you are going to be in let me know so I can add it.

Thanks

I'm hoping to know in two weeks if I can make it, but I do know that if I make it, I will be 83K.

• Like 2

Entries so far. 

Men

Aaron Corcorran - 105+ kg

Durry Becker

Steve Millard - paid

Martin Braun -105+ kg

Eric Milfeld - Paid - 105kg

Adam Juncker - 105kg

Womens 

Leah Einecker

Thanks

Edited by acorn
Damn autocorrect, name spelling

I don't think you'll want to brace on the platform.  Firstly it will be non-uniform.  Secondly, it's kind of a safety hazard if you drop the bell onto the platform by your hand.  Obviously Aaron is the final authority.  Just my $0.02.

4 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Aaron, I want to start training the thick dumbbell to an 18" platform. I am wondering if we are going to be permitted to brace on the box with our free hand. Also, could you please clarify what you have decided for how much tilt will be allowed? I want to tilt as much as your rule permits. Though I prefer to have little to no tilt.

I would be concerned with accidental hand squishing bracing on the box. I have no issues with you bracing on your leg though with your off hand. I was checking one of my videos earlier that had some tilt through the middle of the lift. It did not look excessive to me but briefly probably hit 45deg of tilt. Since the DB is a load to the platform I think that tilt would be counterproductive and cause you to have to pull it higher so I think I will allow up to 45deg of tilt. Is anyone opposed to this much tilt or have any concerns? I am open to discussion on it.

56 minutes ago, bwwm said:

I don't think you'll want to brace on the platform.  Firstly it will be non-uniform.  Secondly, it's kind of a safety hazard if you drop the bell onto the platform by your hand.  Obviously Aaron is the final authority.  Just my $0.02.

Thanks Martin.

Tonight I got all the structural welding done on the platform, so I had the Gracie DB near by (153# or something like that.  I don't remember).  I lifted the Gracie to the platform right & left, and also tried to brace off the platform.  To be honest, I really don't see why anyone would want to brace off the platform.  You really can't have your hand there for too long anyways, because you have to lift the bell over the platform.  As long as people keep their hand on the handle or in the center of the bell if they lose grip, the lifting hand will be very safe.  

One thing people will need to think about.  If you're doing a straddle stance vs parallel to your stance lift.  The former will allow you to use more of your hand to guide the bell whereas the later may put a bit more thumb pressure.  Also, people will need to think about where they want to have their feet during the lift relative to the platform both for performance and for safety.  I didn't drop the Gracie during any of my attempts, so I don't have any further thoughts on that.  

Regarding tilt - I'm with Aaron, I don't think we have to be too worried about tilt, since it just makes the distance further.  The Gracie is very off balance (one globe is much heavier than the other), and so I lifted it with a lot of tilt, and as Aaron pointed out, it will make the distance farther.  

Aaron and I had traded some design considerations before I butchered the platform together.  I put about a 5 degree negative camber on the legs and the top platform only extends very slightly over the top of the legs.  There is a 1/2" lip that is meant to help keep the bell from rolling off.  Even right up against this lip, the bell and the platform is very stable.  

I have to weld on some covers for the bottoms of the legs, and then do some clean-up of the sharp edges, etc. with the flap disk.  Otherwise it is good shape.  I'm debating whether to leave it industrial or get out the rattle cans and make it all black.  Depends on how much critiquing I want to hear from people about my welds. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bwwm said:

Tonight I got all the structural welding done on the platform, so I had the Gracie DB near by (153# or something like that.  I don't remember).  I lifted the Gracie to the platform right & left, and also tried to brace off the platform.  To be honest, I really don't see why anyone would want to brace off the platform.  You really can't have your hand there for too long anyways, because you have to lift the bell over the platform.  As long as people keep their hand on the handle or in the center of the bell if they lose grip, the lifting hand will be very safe.  

One thing people will need to think about.  If you're doing a straddle stance vs parallel to your stance lift.  The former will allow you to use more of your hand to guide the bell whereas the later may put a bit more thumb pressure.  Also, people will need to think about where they want to have their feet during the lift relative to the platform both for performance and for safety.  I didn't drop the Gracie during any of my attempts, so I don't have any further thoughts on that.  

Regarding tilt - I'm with Aaron, I don't think we have to be too worried about tilt, since it just makes the distance further.  The Gracie is very off balance (one globe is much heavier than the other), and so I lifted it with a lot of tilt, and as Aaron pointed out, it will make the distance farther.  

Aaron and I had traded some design considerations before I butchered the platform together.  I put about a 5 degree negative camber on the legs and the top platform only extends very slightly over the top of the legs.  There is a 1/2" lip that is meant to help keep the bell from rolling off.  Even right up against this lip, the bell and the platform is very stable.  

I have to weld on some covers for the bottoms of the legs, and then do some clean-up of the sharp edges, etc. with the flap disk.  Otherwise it is good shape.  I'm debating whether to leave it industrial or get out the rattle cans and make it all black.  Depends on how much critiquing I want to hear from people about my welds. 😉

Thank you Martin for all your work on this. I say keep it industrial!

• Like 1

Entries so far. 

Men

Aaron Corcorran - 105+ kg

Durry Becker

Steve Millard - 105kg - Paid

Martin Braun -105+ kg

Eric Milfeld - 105kg - Paid

Adam Juncker - 105kg

Adam Glass - 105kg 

Womens 

Leah Einecker

Men, if you have an idea what class you are going to be in let me know so I can add it. Also, if you already did your entry but missed doing entry fee via the paypal button on entry completed page let me know what your plan is. I can give you my paypal info when you are ready to make a payment as well. I am trying to get a few things made still for the comp and cash on hand would be super helpful for that.

Thanks,

Aaron

I don’t think Tommy Jennings will mind if I let you know he’ll be in the 105. 

7 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

I don’t think Tommy Jennings will mind if I let you know he’ll be in the 105. 

Thanks, I'm just waiting on an entry from him to add him. Adam texted me this morning that he is coming with you guys. With him that is about the best I can hope for regarding putting in his entry I think.

Aaron,

Emily and I will sign up tonight and forward the fees. I have a couple pounds to cut but I still hope to be in 83kg class. Last night I was 185 when going to bed. If my weigh in doesn't go as planned it will of course be 93kg. That mostly depends on how bad we eat the few days leading up to the comp. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, daniel reinard said:

Aaron,

Emily and I will sign up tonight and forward the fees. I have a couple pounds to cut but I still hope to be in 83kg class. Last night I was 185 when going to bed. If my weigh in doesn't go as planned it will of course be 93kg. That mostly depends on how bad we eat the few days leading up to the comp. 

There’s only 83, 105, and big boy division. 

14 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

There’s only 83, 105, and big boy division. 

Petite, Extra Regular, and Thickness divisions. :D

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, daniel reinard said:

Aaron,

Eat well lol (I'm in the 83kg class).  With you and Cannon in 83kg, maybe I should be the one trying to put on some pounds and get into the 105 lol ...  Anyway, first I have to see if I can swing getting there at all.  Good luck with the diet, maybe meet you in a few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No 93? Then i better drop some pounds! I've lost a little over 10. Now it's the hard part.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Man im stoked to get to finally meet you guys!

Aaron

Martin

Daniel

Vinnie if he can make it

and everyone!

everytime i meet folks in person they all say the same thing. “Not what i expected!”

some of you may even leave with what feels like a 6 pack beginning to take shape, from all the laughing you’ll do! 😁

Hell yeah! I wonder if you Texas folks are gonna cause my long lost accent to come out. Only seems to come out when I am drinking and around other native Texan speakers anymore.

Edited by acorn
Adding info
  • Haha 1