Southwest Region GripSport Championships

acorn

I have been considering a possible change to the way the Thickbar Inch handle event. I would like to get feedback from those considering coming to the comp. As it is set right now it would be a 4 attempt, rising bar style With DL lockout and down signal. The more I think about it the more I am concerned that this may be terribly hard to judge due to the fact that some prefer to lift a DB straddle, pulling it up into their crotch. This event is not a tracked event so really there is no specific requirement to do a 4 attempt rising bar style, etc. I am considering instead running it like the armlifting events typically run where it is unlimited attempts up to a failure. With 30sec or 60sec time limit on an attempt. Secondly possibly pulling it to above knees with a a pause and down signal vs full lockout with down signal. The other alternative would be a platform lift, though I do not already have a suitable platform for this.

I would love some feedback on this.

I think it might run quicker and smoother as well as be easier to judge.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn
Adding info
  • Like 2

Emily and I were wondering about the lockout as well. Being large and awkward it might also be a feat to not have body contact no matter suitcase or straddle style due to tilt, large ends and not being strong enough to hold it away from the body at max effort grip. I think you're onto something with the above the knees. I don't know about lockout or not. I could see it both ways. It's hard to pause with an Inch style lift but it could get wild without some way to show control.

Unlimited attempts is a good crowd pleaser at expos. Most onlookers want to see how high the lifters go and then see lifts barely slip away. 

• Like 2

I favor lifting it to a platform since it is a dumbbell.  I know you said that you don't have a platform, but I wonder if the gym will have a plyo-block or something 24-36" we could use.

• Like 1

I’m in favor of whatever works best for you as promoter. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, acorn said:

I have been considering a possible change to the way the Thickbar Inch handle event. I would like to get feedback from those considering coming to the comp. As it is set right now it would be a 4 attempt, rising bar style With DL lockout and down signal. The more I think about it the more I am concerned that this may be terribly hard to judge due to the fact that some prefer to lift a DB straddle, pulling it up into their crotch. This event is not a tracked event so really there is no specific requirement to do a 4 attempt rising bar style, etc. I am considering instead running it like the armlifting events typically run where it is unlimited attempts up to a failure. With 30sec or 60sec time limit on an attempt. Secondly possibly pulling it to above knees with a a pause and down signal vs full lockout with down signal. The other alternative would be a platform lift, though I do not already have a suitable platform for this.

I would love some feedback on this.

I think it might run quicker and smoother as well as be easier to judge.

- Aaron

At Battle For Grip Supremacy in 2003, the first comp I ever went to, Rick Walker has us lift the loadable dumbbell, unbraced, to a height of 6 inches.

There was no cross bar. He or his step son last on his side to watch how high the implement got lifted.

Everything worked well, but some form of crossbar or knock would have made things much easier on the judges instead of having to lay there.

Sorry I'm weighing in and can't make the meet, but wanted to offer this, since it's the only loadable Inch style dumbbell I remember in competition.

I think lockout will be an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE to judge, especially if you require a pause.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, daniel reinard said:

Emily and I were wondering about the lockout as well. Being large and awkward it might also be a feat to not have body contact no matter suitcase or straddle style due to tilt, large ends and not being strong enough to hold it away from the body at max effort grip. I think you're onto something with the above the knees. I don't know about lockout or not. I could see it both ways. It's hard to pause with an Inch style lift but it could get wild without some way to show control.

Unlimited attempts is a good crowd pleaser at expos. Most onlookers want to see how high the lifters go and then see lifts barely slip away. 

I wasn't able to keep it away from the body and lock it out with a full standing up position with higher weights which is what got me thinking about this. That and seeing someone pull it right up into their crotch trying to lock it out. The last time I ran this event a few years ago we did to lockout as well. It was a struggle for many but I wasn't watching closely for bracing against body at the top either.

Yeah that's what I was thinking on the unlimited attempts too.

Edited by acorn

10 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

I favor lifting it to a platform since it is a dumbbell.  I know you said that you don't have a platform, but I wonder if the gym will have a plyo-block or something 24-36" we could use.

We will be running it at a FitExpo venue now. So I wouldn't be able to borrow a platform from them so easily. Besides I would be worried about the box getting damaged by dropped DB's, etc. Plus with a box someone is going to have to move the weight back to the ground. Maybe will have the competitor do that as part of the lift. Let me see if I have enough plywood on hand to knock something out. 

2 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

At Battle For Grip Supremacy in 2003, the first comp I ever went to, Rick Walker has us lift the loadable dumbbell, unbraced, to a height of 6 inches.

There was no cross bar. He or his step son last on his side to watch how high the implement got lifted.

Everything worked well, but some form of crossbar or knock would have made things much easier on the judges instead of having to lay there.

Sorry I'm weighing in and can't make the meet, but wanted to offer this, since it's the only loadable Inch style dumbbell I remember in competition.

I think lockout will be an ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE to judge, especially if you require a pause.

Thanks for the input. I could not abide doing only a 6" height. Maybe some other height like having to clear an 18 or 24" standard similar to average knee height. But 6" seems far too low and could do that without having control of the DB.

I can make a steel box.  Just let me know what height you guys want it to be.  I can test with my Inch DB.  I have plenty of scrap steel.  It won't be pretty, but it won't get damaged, that's for sure.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, bwwm said:

I can make a steel box.  Just let me know what height you guys want it to be.  I can test with my Inch DB.  I have plenty of scrap steel.  It won't be pretty, but it won't get damaged, that's for sure.

Sounds good. Will coordinate with you.

- Aaron

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acorn said:

Thanks for the input. I could not abide doing only a 6" height. Maybe some other height like having to clear an 18 or 24" standard similar to average knee height. But 6" seems far too low and could do that without having control of the DB.

No doubt.  Sure thing.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

If the box is too high shorter people could end up having to high pull. Maybe @Rogo could provide some input.

Are you going to allow the lifter to tilt the dumbbell?

I would love it if @Rogo gave some input

I am not going to have a protractor in hand but will not be allowing excessive tilt. Excessive being defined as about 15-20deg angle. Maybe even that is too much. Planning on giving visual example in rules meeting. Does not have to be perfectly level though on the lift. If we do end up lifting it to a platform then would only be judging tilt on the way up to the platform. My initial thinking is 18 or 24" height. A standard weight bench is about 18" and I feel like pretty much anyone should be able to work with that height without a high pull as well as show control of the dumbbell on the way up.

- Aaron

Edited by acorn

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 10:41 AM, Cannon said:

Somehow, I "forgot" to train for this contest during January. :inno  Whoopsie.  Back on it.  :fear

And by "back on it" I'm sure I had good intentions.  But have not managed a workout yet.  I feel stressed to the max this year by non-grip things.  Here's to hoping I find some capacity for this soon.    :help

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bwwm said:

I made a 1" square tube frame platform. Was able to find 1" rubber feet for it and I cut 3/4" horse stall mat and contact cemented it to the to of the platform. It was built to an overall 24" height which is good for sledge, blobs and stuff but likely not for a fat dumbbell. That thing has lasted years. Holds up to box squats and it is good for washing the truck. I'll bet a 16" or so platform will work. What's the knee height of our shortest competitor? I mention the rubber feet as I'm sure the expo won't want a scratched floor. The rubber top makes a good landing spot and things don't  roll off of it by accident. 

Aaron, 

I don't think tilt is too much an issue if you choose a platform. Tilt will only hurt the lifter causing them to have to pull even higher to land it on a platform. That way it removes a difficult to judge element. 

• Like 2

It will have 3" or 4" square tube for legs, so it will be pretty bomb proof.  Aaron and I working on the details.  

I will mention that I can definitely pull more tilted. 😉

• Like 2

Something Emily thought of, with a platform is that going to be a toe buster? I hate to say it but if you slip the lift before you can get it all the way on it, it fall back towards the lifters legs. I'd recommend trying it out to see how it goes. Honestly I lift between the legs so I don't have to dance out of the way if it slips. 

11 hours ago, daniel reinard said:

Something Emily thought of, with a platform is that going to be a toe buster? I hate to say it but if you slip the lift before you can get it all the way on it, it fall back towards the lifters legs. I'd recommend trying it out to see how it goes. Honestly I lift between the legs so I don't have to dance out of the way if it slips. 

I have concerns about that as well which is why I was thinking about the knee level lift. That and potentially someone not getting DB all the way on the platform and getting their fingers pinched on the edge of platform. If we do a platform I will be doing strong warnings on both of those things.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acorn said:

I have concerns about that as well which is why I was thinking about the knee level lift. That and potentially someone not getting DB all the way on the platform and getting their fingers pinched on the edge of platform. If we do a platform I will be doing strong warnings on both of those things.

I am short, and I have a lot of trouble getting things to cross bars and such, because it is way past lockout.  Not sure what to suggest.  I am still hoping to come, and may be able to, but not sure yet.

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

I am short, and I have a lot of trouble getting things to cross bars and such, because it is way past lockout.  Not sure what to suggest.  I am still hoping to come, and may be able to, but not sure yet.

I'm hoping @Rogo will weigh in. I believe he may be shorter than you Vinnie if not a similar height. I think that an 18" height will likely be a doable height for everyone though. 

• Like 1

Aaron and I were discussing.  I was going to do a lip on the top of the platform, and the legs will be angled so the platform will not tip.  But that doesn't prevent some of the concerns that were raised.  

Personally, I like the platform idea, but I'm not strongly opinionated on this and will be happy to compete no matter what we do.  

8 hours ago, WestSlope said:

These Germans and Austrians make lifting to a box look pretty low risk. The low box allows the lifter to have a wide straddle.

Anyone know what the height of the box they're using to load the dumbbells on? 

7 hours ago, acorn said:

I'm hoping @Rogo will weigh in. I believe he may be shorter than you Vinnie if not a similar height. I think that an 18" height will likely be a doable height for everyone though. 

Maybe ping him on the Facebooks?

15 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I hope you can attend.  Bring the whole New York crew with you if you can.  

• Like 4

Does the contest Saxon bar have a wide area of seasoning? I’m asking because my preference would be to use a conventional stance, unless it’s only seasoned for a sumo close-grip...

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Does the contest Saxon bar have a wide area of seasoning? I’m asking because my preference would be to use a conventional stance, unless it’s only seasoned for a sumo close-grip...

We are testing some coatings to try and get a better consistent hook up with chalk. Whatever we do it will be on the whole bar and I will try to season conventional stance area as well.

• Like 1