Southwest Region GripSport Championships

acorn

I can't get 2X5 rectangle tube, but I can get 2X6 for the Saxon bar.  Aaron, just for conversation, do you think using this would mess up the wrist factor that comes into play on this lift?  This particular dimension of rectangle tube is kind of pricey, so I don't want to go to the trouble of making one and it not really be beneficial.  

Edited by Adam Juncker

11 hours ago, bwwm said:

Wow!  This is really shaping up.  So glad to see people coming from all over again!  

I will buy at least one shirt, if not more.  As of now, no ladies are planning on joining me for the trek down to Tucson.  It will just be me.

Ok, I'm excited too that we should have a good crowd.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NealB said:

I'd really like to be at this one. I'm trying to talk to the boss(wife) about this one. It's quite far from me here in Massachusetts. It would be a perfect time for me to cert the coc 3 with all the amazing people going to cheer me on. 

That would be awesome, PM sent.

12 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

I can't get 2X5 rectangle tube, but I can get 2X6 for the Saxon bar.  Aaron, just for conversation, do you think using this would mess up the wrist factor that comes into play on this lift?  This particular dimension of rectangle tube is kind of pricey, so I don't want to go to the trouble of making one and it not really be beneficial.  

PM sent on the tubing. I think 2x6 would be way too pricey and harder to get any comparable wrist flexion with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Long shot given how far this is from New York and how convoluted my life is at this time, but I would like to see if I can make it.  Will keep it on the mental shelf.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Vinnie said:

Long shot given how far this is from New York and how convoluted my life is at this time, but I would like to see if I can make it.  Will keep it on the mental shelf.

Yes!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Trust me man, I feel your pain. I'm from Massachusetts and would love to be at this comp. I will see when the time gets closer if I can't swing it. 

• Like 1

It's all coming together.... Saxon bar is built and I have 2 training sessions on it.  My wife is on board because she is an arachno-culturalist and there is a big-name tarantula breeder in Tuscon.  Plus she wants to try to catch an Arizona Blonde tarantula in the wild.  And she loves Mexican food (who doesn't).   

• Like 4

On 1/3/2019 at 2:11 PM, Vinnie said:

That would be awesome!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

It's all coming together.... Saxon bar is built and I have 2 training sessions on it.  My wife is on board because she is an arachno-culturalist and there is a big-name tarantula breeder in Tuscon.  Plus she wants to try to catch an Arizona Blonde tarantula in the wild.  And she loves Mexican food (who doesn't).   

Super cool. Hope you guys can make it out!

Wife and I booked the flight. 

Any development on the wrist event on what it may be?

• Like 2

On 1/8/2019 at 11:04 PM, Adam Juncker said:

Way cool coincidence. My wife used to have maybe a couple dozen tarantulas, and still has several. She once  had a phobia until she saw me pick up a wild Texas Brown I had rescued from the highway. 

Aaron, I like grip, Mexican food, deserts, you, and spiders, so I’m now seriously considering being your token old guy competitor. 

• Like 4

Oh, and I found a couple guys on the side of the road that seem quite interested: Tommy Jennings and Adam Glass. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2019 at 10:08 AM, daniel reinard said:

Wife and I booked the flight. 

Any development on the wrist event on what it may be?

Awesome! Can't wait to see you guys again. It's been too long.

I still need to try and built the device I have envisioned for it. If it works out would be testing either radial or ulnar deviation. reps with each one increasing in tension.

I'll share more once I am sure this will work.

- Aaron

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Way cool coincidence. My wife used to have maybe a couple dozen tarantulas, and still has several. She once  had a phobia until she saw me pick up a wild Texas Brown I had rescued from the highway. 

Aaron, I like grip, Mexican food, deserts, you, and spiders, so I’m now seriously considering being your token old guy competitor. 

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Oh, and I found a couple guys on the side of the road that seem quite interested: Tommy Jennings and Adam Glass. 

Well Hell Yeah! Hope ya'll can make it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thrilled to see all the competitors on track to make it out!!!

Not so thrilled at the prospect that I will get pushed out of 3rd place again.  Will have to train harder.  Coming off a 3 week bout of chest infection that kept me out of the garage and weak.  

If my new girlfriend didn't have a bad case of tennis elbow, she would likely have competed.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bwwm said:

Thrilled to see all the competitors on track to make it out!!!

Not so thrilled at the prospect that I will get pushed out of 3rd place again.  Will have to train harder.  Coming off a 3 week bout of chest infection that kept me out of the garage and weak.  

If my new girlfriend didn't have a bad case of tennis elbow, she would likely have competed.  

Feel better buddy. Maybe she can clear it in time with some luck and appropriate measures.

• Like 2

Considering splitting the mens side up into 2 or 3 weight classes. Would anyone planning on coming be 83kg or under?

- Aaron

1 hour ago, acorn said:

Considering splitting the mens side up into 2 or 3 weight classes. Would anyone planning on coming be 83kg or under?

- Aaron

Yes. I am trying to be 83kg.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2019 at 12:52 PM, acorn said:

- Aaron

Only if I lose a couple limbs. 

• Like 1

I'll be lucky to make it in the 93k thanks to Christmas candy.  

• Like 2

Ok, will be running a Mens 83kg, 105kg, and 105+kg class as well as Women's class for this contest. Top 3 custom trophies for each class as well as a trophy for Overall winner.

- Aaron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

... and if Steve's wife competes, I'll make her a skull as a participation trophy. 😉

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, bwwm said:

... and if Steve's wife competes, I'll make her a skull as a participation trophy. 😉

I'll let her know.

Btw, I will be attempting to be at the Gym Tucson Strength where we will be hosting the comp most Saturday mornings between now and the contest date with contest equipment. Been doing my Saxon bar work on Saturday mornings there and other grip work Weds evenings there in case any local folks want a chance to train on the contest equipment.

- Aaron

• Like 1