Southwest Region GripSport Championships

acorn

This contest is taking the place of the former AZ Cactus Grip contest and will be the first year with the new name. The date and venue are set now and I will be working out the rest of the details as I can. This will be a qualifier for the GripSport Nationals as well. Initially thinking a 3-4 event contest to help it run quickly and smoothly. Will be the same gym I have been working with for the last few contests though they are moving to a new bigger location soon. 

Date: 4/13/2019

Venue: Tucson Strength Gym - Tucson, AZ   https://evolutiontucson.com/

Sponsors: Corcorran Training Systems, Martin Braun, Adam Juncker, and Daniel and Emily Reinard

Entry Fee: $40 

Entry Form here: http://www.az-grip.com/contests.php

Classes: Mens 83Kg, 105Kg, and 105+Kg. Womens Division.

Start time: 10am rules and 10:30 first event

Events:

Grippers - 20mm Block set close, 1 hand contested - 4 attempts

2 Hand Pinch DL - 2"x5" Saxon bar - 4 attempts, rising bar

1 Hand DB DL t0 18in platform - Mens - CTS Plate loadable Inch Handle (2.4"). Spherical profile inner plates will be used. Attempts until miss

- Womens - CTS Plate loadable DB (2"). Spherical Profile inner plates will be used. Attempts until miss

We may do shirts as well if there is interest. Martin and I will be making custom trophies.

Please give me some feedback if you have interest in coming, interest in sponsoring, or other feedback, etc.

Thanks,

Aaron

Edited by acorn
Updating info
  • Like 8

I would like to attend this contest. I just need to figure out the “hows”.

What would be required for sponsorship?

• Like 1

I’m going to do everything I can to make this Aaron. I want attack your #4 and Eaton’s #4 with a 20mm block set.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, acorn said:

This contest is taking the place of the former AZ Cactus Grip contest and will be the first year with the new name. The date and venue are set now and I will be working out the rest of the details as I can. This will be a qualifier for the GripSport Nationals as well. Initially thinking a 3-4 event contest to help it run quickly and smoothly. Will be the same gym I have been working with for the last few contests though they are moving to a new bigger location soon. 

Date: 4/13/2019

Venue: Tucson Strength Gym - Tucson, AZ   https://evolutiontucson.com/

Sponsors: Corcorran Training Systems

Entry Fee: TBD

Start time: TBD

Events:

Grippers - 20mm Block set close, 1 hand contested - 4 attempts

2 Hand Pinch DL - 2"x5" Saxon bar - 4 attempts, rising bar

1 Hand DB DL - CTS Plate loadable Inch Handle (2.4"). Spherical profile inner plates will be used - 4 attempts, rising bar

Possible 4th event

We may do shirts as well if there is interest. I will be making custom trophies. If there is enough interest we will run multiple weight classes. 

Please give me some feedback if you have interest in coming, interest in sponsoring, or other feedback, etc.

Thanks,

Aaron

Looks like a great contest lineup, Aaron! 

Do you have CTS plate loadable Inch handles for sale? 

On 10/24/2018 at 6:20 AM, JHenze646 said:

I would like to attend this contest. I just need to figure out the “hows”.

What would be required for sponsorship?

Would love to have you out. Honestly haven't given that a lot of thought as I have not asked for sponsorship in ages. Happy to discuss anything that anyone would think might help whether that be prizes, or not. I plan to make the custom trophies at least for top 3 in whatever classes are run.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 6:55 AM, WestSlope said:

Are you using the CTS saxon bar in the NAGS/GSI list? I would like to have a 4th event for sure.

Yes that is the one. If you have any recommendations as to what you might like to see for a 4th event this would be a great time to let me know so I can consider them. There may be a good number of newbies attending so I am trying to not put anything in the events that will be too technical or high injury likelihood. 

- Aaron

• Like 1

On 10/24/2018 at 7:36 AM, Chez said:

I’m going to do everything I can to make this Aaron. I want attack your #4 and Eaton’s #4 with a 20mm block set.

Awesome, I am sure you would have no trouble with those. Gonna try to find some a little tougher as well.

- Aaron

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bencrush said:

Looks like a great contest lineup, Aaron! 

Do you have CTS plate loadable Inch handles for sale? 

Thanks!

I can make them build to order except for the hemi plates and there are a few options including screw in plate loading ends if you already have the FBBC Pro DB style center handle.  Those Hemi plates are still too time intensive with what tools I have on hand. the CTS handle is a solid machined cast iron loadable handle though. I can however do shot loadable hemisphere plates for the inners if wanted. I have a pair of those on my handle right now. 

We ran this as an event at one of the AZ comps a few years back. I think Gil won that event when he was here.

- Aaron

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, WestSlope said:

Well... I would be happy to bring my LBH again.😇 I also enjoy the two hands Tips Tester.

I'll keep it in mind. I have a couple of ideas for new fun wrist test events I am considering too at this point as well.

- Aaron

I will do everything I can to make it out there for this contest. As of now outside of a freak event I will be there I have the means now and it is a good time of the year for me with work. There are a lot of cheap flights there from my area of Fresno. Would the Flask be similar width to the saxon? I'm looking for ideas to train for that without buying one and I have a flask. For the dumbbell I'll just try to do rolling handle lifts and fat gripz work on heavy dumbbells. I marked the date in my calendar I have always wanted to compete in one of your contests so I'm looking forward to it. This will give me good motivation to train my grip hard and try to qualify for nationals. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

I will do everything I can to make it out there for this contest. As of now outside of a freak event I will be there I have the means now and it is a good time of the year for me with work. There are a lot of cheap flights there from my area of Fresno. Would the Flask be similar width to the saxon? I'm looking for ideas to train for that without buying one and I have a flask. For the dumbbell I'll just try to do rolling handle lifts and fat gripz work on heavy dumbbells. I marked the date in my calendar I have always wanted to compete in one of your contests so I'm looking forward to it. This will give me good motivation to train my grip hard and try to qualify for nationals. 

That would be awesome if you could join us.

Flask might be close enough. The Flask is 2 1/4" wide and the CTS Saxon is 2" wide. Good plan on the Rolling handle lifts, etc.

Hope you can make it out!

- Aaron

I am thinking about making a 2" DB handle for the ladies thickbar event. Any thoughts? At this point I don't have any Ladies who have expressed interest in attending the comp but the regular Inch handle DB presents some challenges for most women who have tried it.

- Aaron

14 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

That would be a nice option to have. I'd like to have a crack at it as well if there is time.

I plan to have lots of toys available for after comp. Maybe not everything at the venue but we usually do a post comp party at my house where all the toys are available.

- Aaron

• Like 2

At this time, I fully intend to make this contest.  Kristy and I have been talking about something for a long time and I have time and motivation to train for this.  I'm separately motivated to see AZ because I've never been there and we'll just be thawing out in MN.  

@acorn If you want more grippers on the table, I have a complete set of IronMind grippers that range from 50 to 220.  Exactly 5 pound increments.  I could bring that.  They are new and have never been used except having gone through the rating process.   

• Like 1

That would be incredible and we would love to have you out. Maybe we can brainstorm some new toys as well.

- Aaron

Regarding the Saxon Bar, I've never trained that.  Do you feel like making a wooden replica would be worthwhile?  Numbers might not translate exactly, but I don't see myself buying one.  (I actually have some metal plates I can inset into the wood where you grip the thing.)  This would at least replicate the movement.  Stephen mentioned flask and I have that and will continue to bring up pinch on that too.   

You could certainly try a wood one. The original Saxon Pinch lift that the bar is based on was a wood beam. I think it would be worthwhile assuming you could figure out a good way to add weight. The CTS Saxon Bar is 2"x5" and I believe FBBC also can make one that size if I am not mistaken. I don't think you would necessarily even need to add the metal plates though. You could spray it with texture paint and I think that would be fine. I even use wood pinch blocks from time to time myself which I have made to specific thicknesses.

16 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Regarding the Saxon Bar, I've never trained that.  Do you feel like making a wooden replica would be worthwhile?  Numbers might not translate exactly, but I don't see myself buying one.  (I actually have some metal plates I can inset into the wood where you grip the thing.)  This would at least replicate the movement.  Stephen mentioned flask and I have that and will continue to bring up pinch on that too.   

Edited by acorn
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Cannon said:

You could do Anvil Stub for a 4th. Or any of the fiddley little lifts. Coin, etc. 

Eh. I hate those key pinch lifts. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Chez said:

Eh. I hate those key pinch lifts. 

As long as we’re expressing strong emotions....😄 I hate wrist stuff. My wrists look like bird ankles.  🐤

On 10/30/2018 at 5:39 PM, Cannon said:

@acorn If you want more grippers on the table, I have a complete set of IronMind grippers that range from 50 to 220.  Exactly 5 pound increments.  I could bring that.  They are new and have never been used except having gone through the rating process.   

*casually mentions the existence of a master set of grippers*

What!?! Will you also be arriving in AZ by extraterrestrial air service and using your pet unicorn for local travel once you arrive? 😳

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JHenze646 said:

*casually mentions the existence of a master set of grippers*

What!?! Will you also be arriving in AZ by extraterrestrial air service and using your pet unicorn for local travel once you arrive? 😳

I’ve been putting it together for about 5 years. No big deal.  👽🦄

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

bump

I plan to be at this one. Excited about the events, haven't seen them in many contests. 

• Like 3