Larratt vs Cyplenkov - Left Arm Vendetta Nov 17 Poland

kasparov

https://www.powerlifting.sport/fileadmin/ipf/data/results/2018/classic-powerlifting/detailed_scoresheet_m.htm

Classic (raw)Worlds is, in my opinion, the most prestigious power meet in the world now. Rick may very well be right that here in the States we just don’t train as hard, but these results add a little insight. 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Well the best submission grappling team in the world right now is out of New York (the Danaher Death Squad). A lot of the best powerlifters from the USA don't compete in the IPF and don't want too. If you look at the big money events in powerlifting you will see a lot of top American lifters do well. Yet even in the IPF Ray Williams is the strongest lifter they have who is American. It has a lot more to do with what Chez said though, if strength athletes were treated the same way as NFL of NBA players we would have even more top lifters then we already do. I would say Iceland is the best at strongman historically given how small of a country it is yet they have produced some of the best strongman in history. It is a cultural thing though with how those athletes are treated there. Thor for example is a superstar in that country where most people in the states have not even heard of Brian Shaw. My main issue with your comment was that top American athletes don't train as hard as other countries which is simply not true. I do agree given the size of the USA we could do a lot better in many strength sports but again our best athletes like you mentioned wont risk there body doing a sport that wont make them the most money 

Good point. And imagine if the freak athletes in the NFL and NBA ditched their professional careers and did nothing but strongman or powerlifting full-time. Most of them are quite strong and powerful as is. 

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

Also wanted to go an a bit of a side rant for a moment..

obviously no one here is overly guilty of this, but damn there is some serious shit getting flung at Devon right now all over the webs..

everyone knows im not a Devon fan. But dang his fans did a hardcore about face on him.. no loyalty. they went from die hard “Devon is the most bestes best, and is unbeatable by any man.” To “hes a chump and should now go work for 7-11.” After his loss to Denis, and side table shenanigans with others.

to that i say- show some respect! Stop acting devastated that Devon isnt the top super in the world.. just because he lost to a mega strong super on his dominant hand does not mean Devon is a 3rd rate puller. Devon is still the 225 to beat. Hands down. I think there might be 1 or 2 world wide that can contend with him at 225. And even they better be laced up tight when it happens! So to suggest that he is washed up or weak is a foolish statement. And im starting to wonder if many of those people even follow to sport, or if they just jock the heavyweight champs.

disgusting.

I see this negativity about fighting very often,  when a guy loses they're quick to say he's weak, out of shape or talentless but win or lose professional fighters are still tougher than 99.9% of the people on the planet,  show some respect.  Even the guy who finished last against Usain Bolt is faster than anybody you've ever met 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Also wanted to go an a bit of a side rant for a moment..

obviously no one here is overly guilty of this, but damn there is some serious shit getting flung at Devon right now all over the webs..

everyone knows im not a Devon fan. But dang his fans did a hardcore about face on him.. no loyalty. they went from die hard “Devon is the most bestes best, and is unbeatable by any man.” To “hes a chump and should now go work for 7-11.” After his loss to Denis, and side table shenanigans with others.

to that i say- show some respect! Stop acting devastated that Devon isnt the top super in the world.. just because he lost to a mega strong super on his dominant hand does not mean Devon is a 3rd rate puller. Devon is still the 225 to beat. Hands down. I think there might be 1 or 2 world wide that can contend with him at 225. And even they better be laced up tight when it happens! So to suggest that he is washed up or weak is a foolish statement. And im starting to wonder if many of those people even follow to sport, or if they just jock the heavyweight champs.

disgusting.

Great comments Tommy....I wouldnt take the comments too seriously....and its not just Devon copping the heat his fans are too.

Im getting told to go cry a river haha

I've been a mega devon fan for a very long time, and am getting hammered on youtube lol by denis fans.

You have to understand this has built up for years between devon and denis fans so its only natural that there will be some dissapointment.

If I have written anything negative its only on repsect to devon being passes his prime in terms of being able to take on the absolute super heavies anymore. Washed up is a crappy term shouldnt have used that.

Devon will always be a great puller and like you said prob should stick to 225lbs from now on.

Devon has also talked himself up over the years with regards to Denis, I think this gave alot of his fans genuine hope of a good showing.

And for the record alot of those youtube comments may be coming from young guys who have a tendency to troll, could be anyone really. 

The hammering will continue now from fans and haters alike. It's ok its part of the sport.

After waiting 8 years for this match and watching your hero get demolished it was hard to take.  People will always defend their ego's either online or in person.

After watching the match closely again can't believe how strong Denis is.....was literally toying with Devon....even let Devon get into his power and he couldnt budge him.

Probably the strongest puller ever.

A Levan vs Denis match on the left would be awesome, right too. 😀😀

10 minutes ago, kasparov said:

After watching the match closely again can't believe how strong Denis is.....was literally toying with Devon....even let Devon get into his power and he couldnt budge him.

Probably the strongest puller ever.

A Levan vs Denis match on the left would be awesome, right too. 😀😀

Has Dennis ever lost on the left? I think Dave and Levan can challenge him right but I don't know about left. 

7 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Has Dennis ever lost on the left? I think Dave and Levan can challenge him right but I don't know about left. 

Not really, Pushkar flashed him like once, but then in the next 2 rounds Denis pinned Pushkar with relative ease. So his left arm is basically unbeatable.

Levan looked monstrous over Trubin, and I think his left is stupid strong also, a match with Denis would be good I think. And he's even bigger than Denis.

7 hours ago, David_wigren said:

Post match interview with Devon.

Love it never seen Devon so humbled 

On 11/18/2018 at 6:32 AM, Mikael Siversson said:

I agree with Rick, North America has, for the better part of the last 35 years been out-competed in strongman by a country comprising 300,000 people. Island's population is that of a mid-sized US city so lets be real here. Qualities needed to excel in strongman are not exactly the same as those required in NFL so please don't give me same old NFL argument. In this case its probably a combination of dedication and genetics. Another example is female armwresting where Sweden, a country with 10 million people, is easily outperforming the entire continent of North America. I think, overall, too much time has been spent in North America figuring out ways to avoid ..... moving, like driving to the local food store two blocks away as opposed to cycling or walking.

This or maybe because Americans who are big focus more on things like Basketball, American football, Boxing, baseball and so on which makes millions?

I don’t think that the reason why americans are lacking behind in some strength sports is due to baseball and the NFL. They are two different talent pools. The best NFL players most likely do not have the genetic make up to be top elite level strongman. There might be exceptions but they are most likely very few. I also don’t think americans work any less hard than their european competitors. I think the americans do just fine in most strength sports. The americans only make up a small part of the total world population, so it’s only natural that the number of champions are in rough proportion to population size. And in armwrestling, the rules used in europe and in the US are a little different. So when the americans come here, they usually get flashed by guys because they are slow in the start and are used to fight for a better grip in the start, which is very restricted with WAF-rules. And also the other way around. Europeans get beat by americans whenever they compete in the US, because they’re not used to fight for an advantageous starting position.

Edited by David_wigren

1 hour ago, David_wigren said:

I don’t think that the reason why americans are lacking behind in some strength sports is due to baseball and the NFL. They are two different talent pools. The best NFL players most likely do not have the genetic make up to be top elite level strongman. There might be exceptions but they are most likely very few. I also don’t think americans work any less hard than their european competitors. I think the americans do just fine in most strength sports. The americans only make up a small part of the total world population, so it’s only natural that the number of champions are in rough proportion to population size. And in armwrestling, the rules used in europe and in the US are a little different. So when the americans come here, they usually get flashed by guys because they are slow in the start and are used to fight for a better grip in the start, which is very restricted with WAF-rules. And also the other way around. Europeans get beat by americans whenever they compete in the US, because they’re not used to fight for an advantageous starting position.

Have you not seen the numerous 6’2”-6’9” defensive linemen? Or many of the physically freaky offensive linemen, tight ends, and running backs?

There are plenty of guys in college football and the NFL who if dropped everything to focus on strongman would do pretty well. Whether they’re one of the best players or not. 

Plus, who are we to say who has the genetics and who doesn’t? Were people able to determine if Hafþór had the genes to become an elite strongman and record-holder during his pre-strongman days? 

I’m sure they’d do well. But would any of them reach the finals at a WSM? Maybe a few of them, had they dedicated their lives to strongman. However, the overwhelmingly majority of them probably would not. Having the right talent for any sport isn’t just about height. You also have to have the right structural proportions, muscle insertions, musclefiber make up, connective tissues, tendancy for neurological adaption for the specific tasks, etc etc. With that said. I’m sure both Shaw and Hafthor would have been decent fotball players. But most likely nowhere near the absolute elite.

Btw, I heard from a source that apparently Laletin beat Denis Cyplenkov in training a few weeks before Vendetta. This could explain why he had such an easy time with Devon on the practice table.

Edited by David_wigren

On 11/29/2018 at 9:27 PM, David_wigren said:

Btw, I heard from a source that apparently Laletin beat Denis Cyplenkov in training a few weeks before Vendetta. This could explain why he had such an easy time with Devon on the practice table.

That was mentioned somewhere, Laletin is the real deal, strong as hell and getting better.

It would have been a tough match for Oleg, spewing it didnt happen. Devon has been holding Laletin in very high regard recently saying he is the best thing coming out of Russia and had him as favorite versus Oleg.

On 11/29/2018 at 5:25 AM, David_wigren said:

I’m sure they’d do well. But would any of them reach the finals at a WSM? Maybe a few of them, had they dedicated their lives to strongman. However, the overwhelmingly majority of them probably would not. Having the right talent for any sport isn’t just about height. You also have to have the right structural proportions, muscle insertions, musclefiber make up, connective tissues, tendancy for neurological adaption for the specific tasks, etc etc. But most likely nowhere near the absolute elite.

I’m sure both Shaw and Hafthor would have been decent fotball players.

Shaw was a DII college basketball player.  Roundballers usually stay away from football. They don't like getting hit.....:tongue