Larratt vs Cyplenkov - Left Arm Vendetta Nov 17 Poland

kasparov

3 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

That link stopped working for me.  Levan went 6-0 pretty easily. 

Wow let's have a Chaffee vs Levan match!!!

1 hour ago, ChimpGrip said:

I think Brian Shaw is one of the exceptions. 

Who said Devon wasn’t 100% at the left arm because of surgery? I’m not making excuses, but seeing Devon get run over like that didn’t seem right. Maybe Denis is that good and strong. And I wonder where Devon’s intensity was? He is always among the most intense arm wrestlers at the table (in my Ignorant opinion), especially in close matches. Where was that? 

I’m new to the sport of arm wrestling, so take it easy on me 😁

Devon looked way past prime, I think he's a bit washed up from all the surgeries, a 2012 Devon from the Pushkar match would have given a better fight. Even Matt Mask told Devon that his right is nowhere near what it was. Congrats to Denis, he's too much.

Levan, Dave, and Denis seem to have risen above the rest when it comes to raw power.

10 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I wouldnt say bum tho.. Devon is still way ahead of the muster. Just not exactly the giant slayer most thought he was.

I still say Devon is unbeatable at 225. I believe that to be the case as long as he is pulling.

What could Devon do to be able to compete with the super heavy weights? Add more weight and start training in the weight room? I hope he makes a comeback in 2019! 

2 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Levan, Dave, and Denis seem to have risen above the rest when it comes to raw power.

I can't wait to see them face each other now. I really want to see Levan vs Dave or Dennis next. 

29 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I wouldnt say bum tho.. Devon is still way ahead of the muster. Just not exactly the giant slayer most thought he was.

I still say Devon is unbeatable at 225. I believe that to be the case as long as he is 

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

All i can say is wow.. Denis didnt even look like he was tested.

as far as Devons ability, i do not believe he is washed up or out of shape. I think he is just out of his weight class, as i have said recently. Top heavies are too much for Devon these days just like they are John. At 225, Devon is unbeatable. He needs to stay beating up that class. 

as far as Americans vs other nationality athletes, Devon isnt American.. 

Americas golden boy heavies are Chaffee Right, and Travis left. And i dont see any foreigners manhandling those guys with respects to their dominant arms.

Good comments tommy.....very well said. Though devon in prime was taking on guys 50lbs on him and beating them, so he was a top heavyweight before, but cant hang in that class anymore.

With Jerry being the exception.

If you look a bit further back, to 2013, Oleg faced Devon and Denis that year. Denis at the Russian Open, Devon at WAL. At the Russian Open, Oleg barely put up resistance against Denis, but at WAL he traded blows pretty convincingly with Devon.

Obviously that was 5 years ago, and all three have become much stronger - but it's not exactly hard to extrapolate those results and get what we saw today.

3 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

It has more to do with what sports we value in America. The sports we value we do very well at on the international stage. I think its ridiculous thing to say that Americans at the highest level don't train just as hard as other countries. 

I mean for your examples that in MMA 4/6 champions right now are Americans. For powerlifting 9/11 highest totals raw without wraps are by Americans. The greatest strongman athlete in the world right now is Brian Shaw who is American. At his current pace he will go down as the greatest strongman ever. For arm wrestling we have the GOAT also in john brzenk.  I would say China is a lot more dominant then any country in the world in terms of olympic weightlifting but that has a lot more to do with there youth programs then they just train harder. 

I agree with Rick, North America has, for the better part of the last 35 years been out-competed in strongman by a country comprising 300,000 people. Island's population is that of a mid-sized US city so lets be real here. Qualities needed to excel in strongman are not exactly the same as those required in NFL so please don't give me same old NFL argument. In this case its probably a combination of dedication and genetics. Another example is female armwresting where Sweden, a country with 10 million people, is easily outperforming the entire continent of North America. I think, overall, too much time has been spent in North America figuring out ways to avoid ..... moving, like driving to the local food store two blocks away as opposed to cycling or walking.

1 hour ago, Mikael Siversson said:

I agree with Rick, North America has, for the better part of the last 35 years been out-competed in strongman by a country comprising 300,000 people. Island's population is that of a mid-sized US city so lets be real here. Qualities needed to excel in strongman are not exactly the same as those required in NFL so please don't give me same old NFL argument. In this case its probably a combination of dedication and genetics. Another example is female armwresting where Sweden, a country with 10 million people, is easily outperforming the entire continent of North America. I think, overall, too much time has been spent in North America figuring out ways to avoid ..... moving, like driving to the local food store two blocks away as opposed to cycling or walking.

Or. Not everyone here cares that much about those sports. You can generalize if you feel you need to, but your point gets muddied when you do. 

Wow. I expected Dennis to win based on his size and power advantage but I didn’t expect it to be so lopsided. That was a beating. Most entertainer part was Devon’s ridiculous hair 

5 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

It has more to do with what sports we value in America. The sports we value we do very well at on the international stage. I think its ridiculous thing to say that Americans at the highest level don't train just as hard as other countries. 

I mean for your examples that in MMA 4/6 champions right now are Americans. For powerlifting 9/11 highest totals raw without wraps are by Americans. The greatest strongman athlete in the world right now is Brian Shaw who is American. At his current pace he will go down as the greatest strongman ever. For arm wrestling we have the GOAT also in john brzenk.  I would say China is a lot more dominant then any country in the world in terms of olympic weightlifting but that has a lot more to do with there youth programs then they just train harder. 

I agree with you 100% Stephen. Strength sports aren’t as celebrated in America and don’t pay as much. In other countries, strength athletes are practically celebs. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rick Walker said:

From 1982 to 2006, Americans got beat up pretty bad in Worlds Strongest Man. Brian Shaw has been a force, but it seems he may have peaked in 2016 while Hafþór has been in the top 3 since 2012 and worked his way to winning this year. That is a heck of a run. 3-third place finishes, 3-second place finishes, and now WSM Champion. 

I truly believe if more athletes like Hafþór took to grip competitions as seriously as Americans do, we would see things happen that we once thought were impossible.

Kaz dominated that sport back then and they didn’t send him an invite because how dominant and arrogant he was for like 5years he woulda had the record with most wins . 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rick Walker said:

Very few American athletes can win strength related competitions against foreigners. The strongest powerlifters, weightlifters, strongmen, arm wrestlers, grip athletes. wrestlers, fighters, etc. are typically not from America. There are, of course, some exceptions, but for the most part, Americans get cleaned up in strength or fight sports.

I think it has a ton to do with work ethic. Americans have this fear that they are going to over train, that they cannot push too hard, etc. I have noticed foreign strength athletes train very often, many times multiple times a day.

Many are also paid to compete in their chosen sport whereas many American strength athletes must hold down a regular job and try to train for a strength event. 

I have watched a ton of videos of foreign arm wrestlers over the year and they eat, sleep, and breathe this sport. They train hard constantly, they push themselves to the point of breaking and push farther, and they just seem to be much bigger, thicker, and stronger than US athletes. Look at Mendelson.  I met him in person once and he seemed like he was the size of the damn Hulk, the animated one! He looked like a little kid in the face off with Alex Kurdecha!

Not even in the same stratosphere. Much like wrestling. The US has won 3 gold medals in wrestling since 1960. I know an American female won gold in 2016, but the men have struggled against foreign talent.

When you say the US has won 3 gold medals in wrestling since 1960, what are you talking about? US has a very good wrestling team, with many gold medals. Unless, you are talking about something other than freestyle and Greco wrestling. 

43 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

When you say the US has won 3 gold medals in wrestling since 1960, what are you talking about? US has a very good wrestling team, with many gold medals. Unless, you are talking about something other than freestyle and Greco wrestling. 

Yeah if were talking freestyle the USA has the most medals of any country by a pretty good margin. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Kyle Snyder  won gold in freestyle this past games

He’s Dan Gable level beast mode.

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Yeah if were talking freestyle the USA has the most medals of any country by a pretty good margin. 

Russia has the most for sure, but US has won lots of medals and won the team title last year. I think the US wrestling team is in a better position now than it has been in a long time. Lots of talent and these guys are studs. US is known for an aggressive style and the best conditioning. 

2 hours ago, KapMan said:

Kyle Snyder  won gold in freestyle this past games

He’s Dan Gable level beast mode.

Snyder is a beast. He may go down as the best ever from the US. He took 2nd this year. He had won the championships the 3 previous years. We had 3 other guys win gold this year out of 10 weight classes and took 2nd as a team. I am very excited about the future of US wrestling.

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Russia has the most for sure, but US has won lots of medals and won the team title last year. I think the US wrestling team is in a better position now than it has been in a long time. Lots of talent and these guys are studs. US is known for an aggressive style and the best conditioning. 

Snyder is a beast. He may go down as the best ever from the US. He took 2nd this year. He had won the championships the 3 previous years. We had 3 other guys win gold this year out of 10 weight classes and took 2nd as a team. I am very excited about the future of US wrestling.

Snyder is so fun to watch

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Donc101 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_freestyle_wrestling

I should have been more specific to weight classes...

17 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

When I said fighting, I should, again, have been more specific. MMA is one aspect of the fight game. Boxing, BJJ, kick boxing, etc.has been primarily dominated by athletes from other countries. Take, for example, the World Jiu-Jitsu Championships. American's track record is not good: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Jiu-Jitsu_Championship. It seems we even drop the ball in cycling considering the greatest Tour rider in the world, Lance Armstrong, was stripped of all his wins due to drug use. We cannot compete without using. Granted, many other athletes are on, but in countries were substances are not illegal and can be bought at the local pharmacy versus the US when it is looked at like heroin or crack and everything is black market, it is easy to see how one might be tempted to get an edge regardless of the legality of it in their chosen sport.

Of course, we have the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, UFC, PBR (rodeo) etc. where athletes can actually make a ton of money. Other countries do not have this opportunity. This is why so many baseball stars come from other countries to play here. Why would a big man that is strong, but also fast, agile, and has football smarts, go on to compete in arm wrestling, powerlifting, or strongman when he can make millions playing football? He wouldn't. It doesn't make sense. 

When I think of powerlifting, I think of the gold standard, the IPF. I may be reading this wrong, but it does not look like Americans have done very well in the IPF World competitions either: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_championships_medalists_in_powerlifting_(men).

Not trying to cause an uproar in American strength athletes, but unless these results are wrong, Americans do not seem to fair well outside of our own sports.

Flame away.

-Rick

9 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

...but i can totally fit like 4 gallons of milk, a loaf of bread, and a big bag of chips in the saddle bags of my road king and still close the lids! So since my clutch lever is cut short for wheelies, doesnt that at least count as some grip work as i squeeze the amplified leverage in the short clutch lever as i change gears? 😜

This also counts as “cycling” IMO 😬

9 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I hinted at this in one of the training log threads some months back. I said something along the lines of “there is another guy who is currently training, and is close to becoming one of the best benchers ever. And i bet none of you can name him.” Obviously with regards to most not knowing as much about who’s who bench pressers as they thought they did. A lot of back and fourth in my 400# bench goal thread with many claiming how rare 400lbs is... Which led to me making this comment, among my many responses. Much as i suspected, No one could name who i was talking about. 

That comment was made in somebody elses log, just cant remember who’s log i made it in.

so kudos to you for paying attention to up and coming benchers! Not only will he officially become a 700lb bencher, he will also at some point be knocking on the door of the raw WR.

Strickland is a great lifter and an even better man. I used his 16-week bench program over the summer and the results were phenomenal. I'm currently on his 8-week peak program, just finished week 1. I'm also gunning for that 400 pound raw bench at hopefully less than 200 body weight, I am not that close at the moment (about 350 right now) but I added about 70 pounds to my bench from June to October using his program. 

And I agree he will hit 702 and one day he will get the all-time WR. What makes it even more impressive is that he isn't near as heavy as Sarychev (another one of my favorite lifters) or Maddox.

15 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Not at all to come off like a troll... but he would just need to get stronger.

while i do have my opinions on best class lb for lb, the harsh truth is that if a 225lb guy can be strong, then by that same logic,  a 300lb guy can be strong AF!

For the longest time, i think strength sports have demonstrated that guys right around the 200lb mark have the best mix of speed and power. But in regards specifically to arm wrestling, i think the supers have stepped their games up in being lb for lb stronger. Meaning that gaining weight and muscle alone still wont grant wins in heavier classes for lighter guys when they move up.

and on a side note, i think this phenomenon will eventually take effect in all strength sports. At some point, even in a sport like powerlifting, the super heavies will be as or more efficient per their bw than 200lb’ers.

I agree with you here, we will see this greater efficiency at some point. Maybe a guy like Hafthor? 

Will Denis get anyone on the right arm today? 

3 hours ago, Rick Walker said:

When I said fighting, I should, again, have been more specific. MMA is one aspect of the fight game. Boxing, BJJ, kick boxing, etc.has been primarily dominated by athletes from other countries. Take, for example, the World Jiu-Jitsu Championships. American's track record is not good: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Jiu-Jitsu_Championship. It seems we even drop the ball in cycling considering the greatest Tour rider in the world, Lance Armstrong, was stripped of all his wins due to drug use. We cannot compete without using. Granted, many other athletes are on, but in countries were substances are not illegal and can be bought at the local pharmacy versus the US when it is looked at like heroin or crack and everything is black market, it is easy to see how one might be tempted to get an edge regardless of the legality of it in their chosen sport.

Of course, we have the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, UFC, PBR (rodeo) etc. where athletes can actually make a ton of money. Other countries do not have this opportunity. This is why so many baseball stars come from other countries to play here. Why would a big man that is strong, but also fast, agile, and has football smarts, go on to compete in arm wrestling, powerlifting, or strongman when he can make millions playing football? He wouldn't. It doesn't make sense. 

When I think of powerlifting, I think of the gold standard, the IPF. I may be reading this wrong, but it does not look like Americans have done very well in the IPF World competitions either: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_championships_medalists_in_powerlifting_(men).

Not trying to cause an uproar in American strength athletes, but unless these results are wrong, Americans do not seem to fair well outside of our own sports.

Flame away.

-Rick

Well the best submission grappling team in the world right now is out of New York (the Danaher Death Squad). A lot of the best powerlifters from the USA don't compete in the IPF and don't want too. If you look at the big money events in powerlifting you will see a lot of top American lifters do well. Yet even in the IPF Ray Williams is the strongest lifter they have who is American. It has a lot more to do with what Chez said though, if strength athletes were treated the same way as NFL of NBA players we would have even more top lifters then we already do. I would say Iceland is the best at strongman historically given how small of a country it is yet they have produced some of the best strongman in history. It is a cultural thing though with how those athletes are treated there. Thor for example is a superstar in that country where most people in the states have not even heard of Brian Shaw. My main issue with your comment was that top American athletes don't train as hard as other countries which is simply not true. I do agree given the size of the USA we could do a lot better in many strength sports but again our best athletes like you mentioned wont risk there body doing a sport that wont make them the most money