Larratt vs Cyplenkov - Left Arm Vendetta Nov 17 Poland

kasparov

22 hours ago, Drygord said:

I'm not sold on Denis' super human strength and size. He seems to be lacking... will power. Which is what I think Devon meant about "taking it where he can't go". I think once Denis gives up mentally, no amount of brute strength will save him.

Thats the tradeoff of being so large and strong that you can crack walnuts with your thumb and beat anyone in sight at pretty much anything physical- you never develope force of will.

Stay at home moms have been known to deadlift cars off their trapped children underneathe... the human body can do amazing things when it's turned "on". That's the switch I don't think Denis has ever needed to flip. Devon is gonna flip that switch like his life depends on it, and Denis is going to be in trouble if his strength doesn't immediately win it for him.

I totally agree, always thought his will power was kind of lacking, but I mean he almost never looks like he is in trouble and actually needs to use something other than his incredibly strong arms. Maybe Devon will test Denis's will power, we will see.

For the record, this would have been match of the century around 2012/2013, on the left, but Devon a bit washed up, and Denis kind of doesn't take armwrestling too seriously anymore, so it probably won't be what it could have been 6 years ago.

On 10/22/2018 at 9:03 AM, kasparov said:

This has been a match 8 years in the making, what form are the two athletes going to be in come November 17 in Poland?

Denis has been a beast lefty and is basically undefeated, some of his matches with left are ridiculous and he makes it look so easy, immense side pressure!

Devon was No.1 lefty when he beat Pushkar in 2012 5-1. But after multiple surguries and competing at 220lbs for 5 years does he have what it takes to beat Denis? 

Denis has had 1 supermatch in 4 years 'Todd 2016'.

6 round supermatch who takes it and why?

Where can I see this match live??

In my opinion Cyplenkov wins with no major problems. His absolute strength is just too much for Devon + he really worked on his composure and endurance in the preparations. I also have Trubin and Chaffee winning.

54 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Agreed.

quick question to all. I saw a bit of a promo last night. Or pre face off rather. And for some reason im led to believe Denis/Devon are pulling both arms?.. i thought it was just the left?

I don't think so, but there might be a change because of Pushkar's passing, so they have a right hand opponent for Denis.

As much as I'd like to see Devon and Denis pull each other with the right, I hope it doesn't happen tomorrow. Denis was preparing for a match with Andrey, while Devon has been neglecting his right over the past two months to focus on his left.

I’m now convinced that Devon has a good shot at winning after seeing them pull a bit during the press conferance. It looked like Devon were able to stop Cyplenkov in the hook. Top roll was a different story, but now Devon probably knows what angles to avoid and where to attack/defend.

• Like 1

That link stopped working for me.  Levan went 6-0 pretty easily. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby

2 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

Well... Dennis is damn strong

That's an understatement. He made Devon look like a bum off the street, and that's very, very hard to do.

5 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

Well... Dennis is damn strong

yes, indeed
Flawless victory

Edited by Stanislav
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aleksandar Milosevic said:

That's an understatement. He made Devon look like a bum off the street, and that's very, very hard to do.

13 minutes ago, Stanislav said:

yes, indeed
Flawless victory

I thought at least 1-2 matches for Devon. Seemed kind of mellowed out as well. Possibly with respect to Pushkar but I think it did take a little from his game. Dennis is a beast though. Hard to do anything there. 

I assumed Denis would win against Devon, but I'm honestly surprised at how it turned out. Devon isn't the strongest armwrestler of them all, but he has great technique and endurance. Don't think I've ever seen Devon not able to mount a response when being straight-up out-muscled. Didn't even bleed Denis a bit

Very few American athletes can win strength related competitions against foreigners. The strongest powerlifters, weightlifters, strongmen, arm wrestlers, grip athletes. wrestlers, fighters, etc. are typically not from America. There are, of course, some exceptions, but for the most part, Americans get cleaned up in strength or fight sports.

I think it has a ton to do with work ethic. Americans have this fear that they are going to over train, that they cannot push too hard, etc. I have noticed foreign strength athletes train very often, many times multiple times a day.

Many are also paid to compete in their chosen sport whereas many American strength athletes must hold down a regular job and try to train for a strength event. 

I have watched a ton of videos of foreign arm wrestlers over the year and they eat, sleep, and breathe this sport. They train hard constantly, they push themselves to the point of breaking and push farther, and they just seem to be much bigger, thicker, and stronger than US athletes. Look at Mendelson.  I met him in person once and he seemed like he was the size of the damn Hulk, the animated one! He looked like a little kid in the face off with Alex Kurdecha!

Not even in the same stratosphere. Much like wrestling. The US has won 3 gold medals in wrestling since 1960. I know an American female won gold in 2016, but the men have struggled against foreign talent.

23 minutes ago, Rick Walker said:

Very few American athletes can win strength related competitions against foreigners. The strongest powerlifters, weightlifters, strongmen, arm wrestlers, grip athletes. wrestlers, fighters, etc. are typically not from America. There are, of course, some exceptions, but for the most part, Americans get cleaned up in strength or fight sports.

I think it has a ton to do with work ethic. Americans have this fear that they are going to over train, that they cannot push too hard, etc. I have noticed foreign strength athletes train very often, many times multiple times a day.

Many are also paid to compete in their chosen sport whereas many American strength athletes must hold down a regular job and try to train for a strength event. 

I have watched a ton of videos of foreign arm wrestlers over the year and they eat, sleep, and breathe this sport. They train hard constantly, they push themselves to the point of breaking and push farther, and they just seem to be much bigger, thicker, and stronger than US athletes. Look at Mendelson.  I met him in person once and he seemed like he was the size of the damn Hulk, the animated one! He looked like a little kid in the face off with Alex Kurdecha!

Not even in the same stratosphere. Much like wrestling. The US has won 3 gold medals in wrestling since 1960. I know an American female won gold in 2016, but the men have struggled against foreign talent.

I think Brian Shaw is one of the exceptions. 

Who said Devon wasn’t 100% at the left arm because of surgery? I’m not making excuses, but seeing Devon get run over like that didn’t seem right. Maybe Denis is that good and strong. And I wonder where Devon’s intensity was? He is always among the most intense arm wrestlers at the table (in my Ignorant opinion), especially in close matches. Where was that? 

I’m new to the sport of arm wrestling, so take it easy on me 😁

Edited by ChimpGrip

From 1982 to 2006, Americans got beat up pretty bad in Worlds Strongest Man. Brian Shaw has been a force, but it seems he may have peaked in 2016 while Hafþór has been in the top 3 since 2012 and worked his way to winning this year. That is a heck of a run. 3-third place finishes, 3-second place finishes, and now WSM Champion. 

I truly believe if more athletes like Hafþór took to grip competitions as seriously as Americans do, we would see things happen that we once thought were impossible.

35 minutes ago, Rick Walker said:

It has more to do with what sports we value in America. The sports we value we do very well at on the international stage. I think its ridiculous thing to say that Americans at the highest level don't train just as hard as other countries. 

I mean for your examples that in MMA 4/6 champions right now are Americans. For powerlifting 9/11 highest totals raw without wraps are by Americans. The greatest strongman athlete in the world right now is Brian Shaw who is American. At his current pace he will go down as the greatest strongman ever. For arm wrestling we have the GOAT also in john brzenk.  I would say China is a lot more dominant then any country in the world in terms of olympic weightlifting but that has a lot more to do with there youth programs then they just train harder. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Rick Walker said:

From 1982 to 2006, Americans got beat up pretty bad in Worlds Strongest Man. Brian Shaw has been a force, but it seems he may have peaked in 2016 while Hafþór has been in the top 3 since 2012 and worked his way to winning this year. That is a heck of a run. 3-third place finishes, 3-second place finishes, and now WSM Champion. 

I truly believe if more athletes like Hafþór took to grip competitions as seriously as Americans do, we would see things happen that we once thought were impossible.

I think we’ll see Shaw win at least one more title. 

2 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

It has more to do with what sports we value in America. The sports we value we do very well at on the international stage. I think its ridiculous thing to say that Americans at the highest level don't train just as hard as other countries. 

I mean for your examples that in MMA 4/6 champions right now are Americans. For powerlifting 9/11 highest totals raw without wraps are by Americans. The greatest strongman athlete in the world right now is Brian Shaw who is American. At his current pace he will go down as the greatest strongman ever. For arm wrestling we have the GOAT also in john brzenk.  I would say China is a lot more dominant then any country in the world in terms of olympic weightlifting but that has a lot more to do with there youth programs then they just train harder. 

And if I’m not mistaken, Kirill Sarychev is the only non-American to ever bench 700 or more raw?    And there will be another 700 raw bencher entering this exclusive group soon, James Strickland. He is also American.