Larratt vs Cyplenkov - Left Arm Vendetta Nov 17 Poland

kasparov

This has been a match 8 years in the making, what form are the two athletes going to be in come November 17 in Poland?

Denis has been a beast lefty and is basically undefeated, some of his matches with left are ridiculous and he makes it look so easy, immense side pressure!

Devon was No.1 lefty when he beat Pushkar in 2012 5-1. But after multiple surguries and competing at 220lbs for 5 years does he have what it takes to beat Denis? 

Denis has had 1 supermatch in 4 years 'Todd 2016'.

6 round supermatch who takes it and why?

I am a huge Devon fan and I believe he is the better arm wrestler, but in his last two matches again Michael Todd and Matt Mask, it was obvious that Devon's top end power has dropped off. I mean if all we are talking about here is raw power, Matt Mask had him beat. Denis is clearly far stronger than Matt and Michael. At the end of the day I see Denis out muscling Devon. 

19 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

I am a huge Devon fan and I believe he is the better arm wrestler, but in his last two matches again Michael Todd and Matt Mask, it was obvious that Devon's top end power has dropped off. I mean if all we are talking about here is raw power, Matt Mask had him beat. Denis is clearly far stronger than Matt and Michael. At the end of the day I see Denis out muscling Devon. 

I think Devon has been working on that top end power that you speak of and will be better prepared in future. Matt Mask has a tremendous hand, this is where he has Devon beat, I don't know what Cyplenkov's hand is like. I know that Denis has dropped in size from his usual 145kg monster size down to probably 130kg? To improve his endurance for these up coming matches. But at what cost in terms of strength? The bigger Denis is the stronger he is this has been proven in the past. So we will see.

It will be interesting for sure. I'm fearing for Devon, but some do have him winning this match.

Styles make matches in Armwrestling, I mean Matt had Devon, but got annihilated by Jerry who Devon dominated...go figure..

Did anyone see levan saginashvili at the world championships the other day? He looked very impressive making quick work of everyone. He has gained a lot of size and I could see him challenging both of these guys. 

8 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Did anyone see levan saginashvili at the world championships the other day? He looked very impressive making quick work of everyone. He has gained a lot of size and I could see him challenging both of these guys. 

He looked great and seems to be getting stronger every year. Really want to see him against the top guys, like Chaffee or Pushkar.

3 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Not on topic, but speaking of worlds, native Texan Michael Hann just finished 7th place left hand and 8th place right hand at worlds. 

Dude is a class act, and is Texas’ most decorated puller ever out of any weight class. Also a GB member and gripsport veteran. Go Michael!

Never heard of the guy but that's impressive, how old is he and what weight class?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

While there are stronger heavyweight pullers than Michael that are also native Texans, none in any weight class here have been ranked #1 nationally ever like Michael, or placed top 10 in worlds like he has.

imo, he is highly unsung. Dont mean to highjack the thread, but a top 10 world level guy like Michael should get more exposure. I think at this point a big company like Monster energy or somebody should be sponsoring him hand over fist.

Fair enough, sounds like he has some good potential, top 10 World's is no joke. I'll take a look at him.

He looks good, was into gymnastics at one point too.

4 hours ago, kasparov said:

Matt Mask has a tremendous hand, this is where he has Devon beat, I don't know what Cyplenkov's hand is like

You are joking right? Cyplenkov has crazy hulk hands!

image.png.02255e6a47abd9c1fa86826f4c9f78f7.pngimage.thumb.png.45df401350cb8fbb6af10bdd2d11d427.png

2 hours ago, Royz said:

You are joking right? Cyplenkov has crazy hulk hands!

image.png.02255e6a47abd9c1fa86826f4c9f78f7.pngimage.thumb.png.45df401350cb8fbb6af10bdd2d11d427.png

I mean the strength of his hand not size. Some pullers are known for having really strong hands which gives them an advantage over others.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, kasparov said:

I mean the strength of his hand not size. Some pullers are known for having really strong hands which gives them an advantage over others.

Oh...😎

Well I guess size could be an advantage too. I think it would be very awkward pulling holding a hand that size. I might be wrong I'm not an armwrestler.

"Denis I've been after you for 10 years...10 years.I remember you coming up and I had just beat John Brzenk, like the guy who was suppose to be the very best, by many people's standards. Engin is a smart man he may have known John's time was coming to an end, but he loved the guy so much cause he knew how much of a champ he was that maybe he promoted him a bit longer than he should have"

Larratt

15 hours ago, Royz said:

13 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Those are Devons words?..

John beat Devon the last time they pulled no more than a couple years ago

Devon must have forgotten about that.

Yeah. Devon was talking about when he dethroned John in 2008. John was king up until that point for a very long time 25 years I think hadn't lost a supermatch.

The Devon that lost to John a few years back in 2015 was light and still recovering with his long rehabilitation, not taking anything from John he was heavy and strong around that time.

To be fair they've never faced each other in prime shape, John also was apparently injured with wrist in that 2008 match.

Their record:

2004 Super Star Showdown:  John 2:0

2006 Mike Gould Classic: John 1:0

2008 Arm Wars Deep Water: Devon 6-0

2015 WAL: John 2:1

Devon's prime was from 2007-2012

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kasparov said:

Yeah. Devon was talking about when he dethroned John in 2008. John was king up until that point for a very long time 25 years I think hadn't lost a supermatch.

The Devon that lost to John a few years back in 2015 was light and still recovering with his long rehabilitation, not taking anything from John he was heavy and strong around that time.

To be fair they've never faced each other in prime shape, John also was apparently injured with wrist in that 2008 match.

They're record:

2004 Super Star Showdown:  John 2:0

2006 Mike Gould Classic: John 1:0

2008 Arm Wars Deep Water: Devon 6-0

2015 WAL: John 2:1

Devon's prime was from 2007-2012

You know your Devon/John history! I'd also agree with 2007-2012 being Devon's prime right hand years. Maybe 2007-2011 as by 2012 his elbow was already really starting to bother him.

I don't know if John was 100% for his match with Devon in September 2008, but his wrist couldn't have been very bad. Four weeks after the supermatch he won the ROTN tournament, and four weeks after that he beat Denis at Zloty.

I'm hopeful that Devon is currently entering his second prime with his right.

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

You know your Devon/John history! I'd also agree with 2007-2012 being Devon's prime right hand years. Maybe 2007-2011 as by 2012 his elbow was already really starting to bother him.

I don't know if John was 100% for his match with Devon in September 2008, but his wrist couldn't have been very bad. Four weeks after the supermatch he won the ROTN tournament, and four weeks after that he beat Denis at Zloty.

I'm hopeful that Devon is currently entering his second prime with his right.

What are you're predictions for the Denis match Eric? 

Maybe John wasn't that injured like you said, but I can't imagine Devon toying with the John version that beat Denis like he did with him in that 2008 match.

Like most, I feel Devon is the underdog. If Denis loses, it will be because he is outsmarted, rather than outmuscled.

^I don’t think Devon can match Denis inside right now with the left fresh-for-fresh. I think he’d have a better chance with his right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Devon did look pretty huge on one of his recent vids the other day.. he may surprise us with more horse power than we have seen from him in the past.

id love to see a bonafide inside match the whole way! As big as Devon is looking, crowding the table and hooking may be a good lane for Devon to take with Denis.

thoughts?

Years ago when Devon came to Australia, I askes him how he would beat Denis.

He said that he would keep his arm very close to his body and put all of his weight behind his arm.....I guess really similar to what he was doing against Jerry.

Inside against Denis would be interesting, we will see which way Devon goes, he is looking pretty big and healthy.

The big unkown is Devon's left at the moment....dont know where it's at.

If I could get a time machine and get Devon from 2012 that beat Pushkar 5-1, add 25lbs to him, I think that version of Devon would have great chances to beat Denis over 6.

15 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Im thinking that pressing Denis would be the best option for Devon. It seems like Denis favors pulling in somewhat of an open position. Seemingly the only weak point in his game. “Weak point” At least for a top guy like Devon.. i dont think there are many that can exploit the hole Denis leaves on the inside. But if anyone can do it, its Devon.

Man im getting psyched about this match!

Yeah, Denis has never faced a puller like Devon, he has really high table IQ and amazing endurance with strength to boot. Devon also mentioned that he didn't know if Denis could match him mentally in this match, said something like he will go to a place that he's not sure if Denis can. What I took from that was he will fight like his life depends on it.

This match really is the Mayweather-Pacquiao of the armwrestling world, with Devon challenging Denis 3 times since 2010 which Denis declined and then Devon declining last year, so it's finally on, I just hope Devon can bring a good level to the match, I hope his hand and wrist and healthy and strong like prime years.

I know Denis will be ready...he's taking on Pushkar on the right too same event. That will be a cracker too!

But the armwrestling world is dying for Chaffee-Pushkar which I think will be the next match, assuming Pushkar beats Denis right.

Dave recently got ranked No.1 in the world, by a panel of experts who vote, first American in 10 years to be No.1 since Brzenk.

1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

While i will difinitely watch the Devon Denis match, there are a handful of others i would rather see..

Chaffee Pushkar righ

Denis Travis left

Oleg Travis left

Oleg Devon rematch

I'd love to see those matches too! Oleg-Travis is meant to be happening Dec 14, with Travis taking on the winner of Moldova Oleg lefty, and Pushkar on the right.

Denis-Travis left would be epic with both at prime or close to prime shapes.

Oleg-Devon rematch would be great, both fresh unlike at WAL when they pulled after a tournament for 5K, Oleg will come in stronger than last time, but Devon will be heavier and stronger too.

I have Chaffee beating Pushkar over 6, and think he has the strongest right arm on earth.

Ok prediction time.....going out on a limb, I say Devon takes it 4-2. With Denis winning the first 2, and Devon taking the 3rd in a super long war, and after that Devon's endurance takes over and maybe even a Can Opener lol..

I want to think Larratt has a shot but I just don’t see it. It’s for sure going to be a great match, no matter the outcome!

16 hours ago, David_wigren said:

I want to think Larratt has a shot but I just don’t see it. It’s for sure going to be a great match, no matter the outcome!

Denis looks out of shape.

I must agree that the latest training video from Denis does not look very convincing. He looks out of shape and ”weaker” than his usual self. Larratt might have a shot after all!

I'm not sold on Denis' super human strength and size. He seems to be lacking... will power. Which is what I think Devon meant about "taking it where he can't go". I think once Denis gives up mentally, no amount of brute strength will save him.

Thats the tradeoff of being so large and strong that you can crack walnuts with your thumb and beat anyone in sight at pretty much anything physical- you never develope force of will.

Stay at home moms have been known to deadlift cars off their trapped children underneathe... the human body can do amazing things when it's turned "on". That's the switch I don't think Denis has ever needed to flip. Devon is gonna flip that switch like his life depends on it, and Denis is going to be in trouble if his strength doesn't immediately win it for him.

Edited by Drygord

22 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I would put money on Devon wiggling around a lot trying to jockey for the ideal setup and ultimately fouling out. Instead of going head up, no frills with Denis. Yeah, i do admit that id love to see Devon show this “will power” and meet Denis in a chest match. But it aint gonna happen.

Devon is going to run from Denis all over the table, and then foul out instead of letting the world know that he had no business on a table vs. Denis’ left.

everybody acts like this is the matchup of the century when in fact it is the furthest thing from it.

imo, Devon needs to beat Oleg fair and square left hand without a ref saving him, THEN we can act like maybe Devon is in Denis’ league left hand.

matches id rather see?

Travis Vs. Denis left

Pushkar Vs. Chaffee right

Travis Vs. Oleg left

Denis Vs. Oleg left

Devon went over that match and Oleg clearly fouled a few of those first rounds, even though he had Devon on the ropes.

After that it was all Devon, but for the record it wasn't a fresh for fresh match, so we can't take it too seriously.

And I think a rematch now would tell us all we need to know, and with regard to Denis's league, Devon will have an opportunity to prove himself in a few days.

If Denis can take Devon's hand he's in trouble, if Denis can't, Devon has excellent chances to wear Denis down.

If the match resembles the Jerry match with only say a slightly stronger guy and lefty then I put my money on Devon, if it on the other hand looks like the Mask match, then I say Denis, and he would have enough power to finish Devon given great hand position and control.

Also I've always thought that Denis style falls right into Devon's strengths, he doesn't have a massive hit like Andrey which gives Devon time to work the position on the table.

The matches you mentioned would be awesome, hope we get to see them, the only one I think we'll never see is Bagent vs Denis.

For some reason Travis has avoided Vendetta last 13 years like the plague, I think his last Vendetta was against Voevoda in 2005.