kasparov

Larratt vs Cyplenkov - Left Arm Vendetta Nov 17 Poland

kasparov

This has been a match 8 years in the making, what form are the two athletes going to be in come November 17 in Poland?

Denis has been a beast lefty and is basically undefeated, some of his matches with left are ridiculous and he makes it look so easy, immense side pressure!

Devon was No.1 lefty when he beat Pushkar in 2012 5-1. But after multiple surguries and competing at 220lbs for 5 years does he have what it takes to beat Denis? 

Denis has had 1 supermatch in 4 years 'Todd 2016'.

6 round supermatch who takes it and why?

Boulderbrew

I am a huge Devon fan and I believe he is the better arm wrestler, but in his last two matches again Michael Todd and Matt Mask, it was obvious that Devon's top end power has dropped off. I mean if all we are talking about here is raw power, Matt Mask had him beat. Denis is clearly far stronger than Matt and Michael. At the end of the day I see Denis out muscling Devon. 

• Like 1

Tommy J.
3 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

I am a huge Devon fan and I believe he is the better arm wrestler, but in his last two matches again Michael Todd and Matt Mask, it was obvious that Devon's top end power has dropped off. I mean if all we are talking about here is raw power, Matt Mask had him beat. Denis is clearly far stronger than Matt and Michael. At the end of the day I see Denis out muscling Devon. 

This.

i think Devon will wiggle around a bit and make the match last and seem close, but i got Denis 5-1.

kasparov
19 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

I think Devon has been working on that top end power that you speak of and will be better prepared in future. Matt Mask has a tremendous hand, this is where he has Devon beat, I don't know what Cyplenkov's hand is like. I know that Denis has dropped in size from his usual 145kg monster size down to probably 130kg? To improve his endurance for these up coming matches. But at what cost in terms of strength? The bigger Denis is the stronger he is this has been proven in the past. So we will see.

It will be interesting for sure. I'm fearing for Devon, but some do have him winning this match.

Styles make matches in Armwrestling, I mean Matt had Devon, but got annihilated by Jerry who Devon dominated...go figure..

Stephen Ruby

Did anyone see levan saginashvili at the world championships the other day? He looked very impressive making quick work of everyone. He has gained a lot of size and I could see him challenging both of these guys. 

• Like 1

Tommy J.
2 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Did anyone see levan saginashvili at the world championships the other day? He looked very impressive making quick work of everyone. He has gained a lot of size and I could see him challenging both of these guys. 

Yep, just watched that yesterday. Hes a freight train for sure. Easily a threat for any top 5 heavyweight right now.

Tommy J.

Not on topic, but speaking of worlds, native Texan Michael Hann just finished 7th place left hand and 8th place right hand at worlds. 

Dude is a class act, and is Texas’ most decorated puller ever out of any weight class. Also a GB member and gripsport veteran. Go Michael!

• Like 2

kasparov
8 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

He looked great and seems to be getting stronger every year. Really want to see him against the top guys, like Chaffee or Pushkar.

kasparov
3 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Not on topic, but speaking of worlds, native Texan Michael Hann just finished 7th place left hand and 8th place right hand at worlds. 

Dude is a class act, and is Texas’ most decorated puller ever out of any weight class. Also a GB member and gripsport veteran. Go Michael!

Never heard of the guy but that's impressive, how old is he and what weight class?

• Like 1

Tommy J.

Hes late 20s and i think the 165lb class?..

Tommy J.

While there are stronger heavyweight pullers than Michael that are also native Texans, none in any weight class here have been ranked #1 nationally ever like Michael, or placed top 10 in worlds like he has.

imo, he is highly unsung. Dont mean to highjack the thread, but a top 10 world level guy like Michael should get more exposure. I think at this point a big company like Monster energy or somebody should be sponsoring him hand over fist.

editing post so not to further hijack the thread:

just got confirmation from Michael that there has indeed been at least 1 other native Texan puller who has gone further in worlds tournament. Ron Erdmann has placed 2nd in worlds in the 154 class back in early 2000’s.

so as to remain as accurate as possible, i will update this post as needed.

Edited by Tommy J.

kasparov
1 hour ago, Tommy J. said:

While there are stronger heavyweight pullers than Michael that are also native Texans, none in any weight class here have been ranked #1 nationally ever like Michael, or placed top 10 in worlds like he has.

imo, he is highly unsung. Dont mean to highjack the thread, but a top 10 world level guy like Michael should get more exposure. I think at this point a big company like Monster energy or somebody should be sponsoring him hand over fist.

Fair enough, sounds like he has some good potential, top 10 World's is no joke. I'll take a look at him.

He looks good, was into gymnastics at one point too.

• Like 1

Royz
4 hours ago, kasparov said:

Matt Mask has a tremendous hand, this is where he has Devon beat, I don't know what Cyplenkov's hand is like

You are joking right? Cyplenkov has crazy hulk hands!

image.png.02255e6a47abd9c1fa86826f4c9f78f7.pngimage.thumb.png.45df401350cb8fbb6af10bdd2d11d427.png

kasparov
2 hours ago, Royz said:

You are joking right? Cyplenkov has crazy hulk hands!

image.png.02255e6a47abd9c1fa86826f4c9f78f7.pngimage.thumb.png.45df401350cb8fbb6af10bdd2d11d427.png

I mean the strength of his hand not size. Some pullers are known for having really strong hands which gives them an advantage over others.

• Confused 1

Royz
10 hours ago, kasparov said:

I mean the strength of his hand not size. Some pullers are known for having really strong hands which gives them an advantage over others.

Oh...😎

Well I guess size could be an advantage too. I think it would be very awkward pulling holding a hand that size. I might be wrong I'm not an armwrestler.

Hopefully

Cyplenkov will take this relatively easy

Tommy J.

Updated/edited my above post

kasparov

"Denis I've been after you for 10 years...10 years.I remember you coming up and I had just beat John Brzenk, like the guy who was suppose to be the very best, by many people's standards. Engin is a smart man he may have known John's time was coming to an end, but he loved the guy so much cause he knew how much of a champ he was that maybe he promoted him a bit longer than he should have"

Larratt

15 hours ago, Royz said:

Tommy J.
16 hours ago, kasparov said:

"Denis I've been after you for 10 years...10 years.I remember you coming up and I had just beat John Brzenk, like the guy who was suppose to be the very best, by many people's standards. Engin is a smart man he may have known John's time was coming to an end, but he loved the guy so much cause he knew how much of a champ he was that maybe he promoted him a bit longer than he should have"

Larratt

Those are Devons words?..

John beat Devon the last time they pulled no more than a couple years ago

Devon must have forgotten about that.

kasparov
13 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Those are Devons words?..

John beat Devon the last time they pulled no more than a couple years ago

Devon must have forgotten about that.

Yeah. Devon was talking about when he dethroned John in 2008. John was king up until that point for a very long time 25 years I think hadn't lost a supermatch.

The Devon that lost to John a few years back in 2015 was light and still recovering with his long rehabilitation, not taking anything from John he was heavy and strong around that time.

To be fair they've never faced each other in prime shape, John also was apparently injured with wrist in that 2008 match.

Their record:

2004 Super Star Showdown:  John 2:0

2006 Mike Gould Classic: John 1:0

2008 Arm Wars Deep Water: Devon 6-0

2015 WAL: John 2:1

Devon's prime was from 2007-2012

• Like 1

Eric Roussin
4 hours ago, kasparov said:

Yeah. Devon was talking about when he dethroned John in 2008. John was king up until that point for a very long time 25 years I think hadn't lost a supermatch.

The Devon that lost to John a few years back in 2015 was light and still recovering with his long rehabilitation, not taking anything from John he was heavy and strong around that time.

To be fair they've never faced each other in prime shape, John also was apparently injured with wrist in that 2008 match.

They're record:

2004 Super Star Showdown:  John 2:0

2006 Mike Gould Classic: John 1:0

2008 Arm Wars Deep Water: Devon 6-0

2015 WAL: John 2:1

Devon's prime was from 2007-2012

You know your Devon/John history! I'd also agree with 2007-2012 being Devon's prime right hand years. Maybe 2007-2011 as by 2012 his elbow was already really starting to bother him.

I don't know if John was 100% for his match with Devon in September 2008, but his wrist couldn't have been very bad. Four weeks after the supermatch he won the ROTN tournament, and four weeks after that he beat Denis at Zloty.

I'm hopeful that Devon is currently entering his second prime with his right.

kasparov
1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

You know your Devon/John history! I'd also agree with 2007-2012 being Devon's prime right hand years. Maybe 2007-2011 as by 2012 his elbow was already really starting to bother him.

I don't know if John was 100% for his match with Devon in September 2008, but his wrist couldn't have been very bad. Four weeks after the supermatch he won the ROTN tournament, and four weeks after that he beat Denis at Zloty.

I'm hopeful that Devon is currently entering his second prime with his right.

What are you're predictions for the Denis match Eric? 

Maybe John wasn't that injured like you said, but I can't imagine Devon toying with the John version that beat Denis like he did with him in that 2008 match.

Eric Roussin

Like most, I feel Devon is the underdog. If Denis loses, it will be because he is outsmarted, rather than outmuscled.

Tommy J.

Devon did look pretty huge on one of his recent vids the other day.. he may surprise us with more horse power than we have seen from him in the past.

id love to see a bonafide inside match the whole way! As big as Devon is looking, crowding the table and hooking may be a good lane for Devon to take with Denis.

thoughts?

Edited by Tommy J.

Eric Roussin

^I don’t think Devon can match Denis inside right now with the left fresh-for-fresh. I think he’d have a better chance with his right.

• Like 2