Unfiling a gripper

Andrew Dube

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jchapman said:

This looks like a good idea.  How does it feel when you close it on the screw head?

Thanks I'm not sure yet. It will have to wait until after KK.

Cool! I've done it with hot glue, because I'm lazy.

I've got one more step for you. File it, rate it, put a screw in it, with a few washers underneath. Maybe even enough washers to let it "close" less than the original width. Rate again at the easier setting.

Could bring a heavier gripper within range for someone, and allow for a new type of small incremental increase gripper program.

Edit: should be obvious where I'm going, but to clarify, removing one washer at a time might be like 0.5lb rgc increments or so.

Edited by wobbler
Clarity
  • Like 1

I second that - Genius!

With some threading (admittedly a little problematic/awkward) and the use of washers. . . . .:yikes. . . .the possibilities are amazing.

I rated this gripper to the screw head last night and it was within a pound of it's original rating.  Success! My intention in doing this was to effectively unfile the gripper.  Obviously everyone has realized the other possibilities that come from having a tapped hole in the handle! However, I don't really have any interest in creating an adjustable gripper.  The original rating actually filled an important gap in my collection and I was experiencing some filer's remorse. 

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
On 10/18/2018 at 4:47 PM, Andrew Dube said:

I rated this gripper to the screw head last night and it was within a pound of it's original rating.  Success! My intention in doing this was to effectively unfile the gripper.  Obviously everyone has realized the other possibilities that come from having a tapped hole in the handle! However, I don't really have any interest in creating an adjustable gripper.  The original rating actually filled an important gap in my collection and I was experiencing some filer's remorse. 

This is really really cool. @Cannon, what are your thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, devinhoo said:

This is really really cool. @Cannon, what are your thoughts?

My first thought was that I've never experienced "filer's remorse."  :laugh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Cannon said:

My first thought was that I've never experienced "filer's remorse."  :laugh

Well, to be fair, you have access to a few more grippers than the average person.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Well, to be fair, you have access to a few more grippers than the average person.

I have reflected on this before actually.  My personal gripper collection is about 20 grippers with only about 5-6 of those seeing regular use.  I think the newest one is a #2 I grabbed off the shelf because the knurling on my original #2 was basically gone.  That was probably 3 years ago.  I really should do A LOT more embezzling.   

• Haha 1