Rolling Thunder Record Reset

Chez

This is the correct decision by IronMind.  Having spoken to an eye witness of the lift in question, it was not legitimate.  In the competitions I've attended, with world class competitors and the WR holder participating, no one has even come close to breaking 300lbs, let alone 330lbs.  On the "new" handle, although not technically altered, there is a consensus that it spins more freely, and so most lifters have experienced a 5-10% drop relative to the model without the end caps.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bryan Hunsaker said:

This is the correct decision by IronMind.  Having spoken to an eye witness of the lift in question, it was not legitimate.  In the competitions I've attended, with world class competitors and the WR holder participating, no one has even come close to breaking 300lbs, let alone 330lbs.  On the "new" handle, although not technically altered, there is a consensus that it spins more freely, and so most lifters have experienced a 5-10% drop relative to the model without the end caps.

For me, the 2 newest models were exactly the same. The last one without end caps and the new one with. Got the same weight in 2 different ones of each of the last 2 versions. I think the cap is just an aesthetic feature added to the one they just had. Now the one before that? Yes that’s way different 

On 10/16/2018 at 10:22 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Must have been a very bad handle he did that lift on. He has not been close to that weight after that as far as I know (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). I did see a video with Mark Felix almost locking out a weight close to it (if not above it). Not sure about that handle either since it was not displayed in the video. Laine Snook has done 10 reps on 130 kg with the RT and has also lifted above the official WR on the 2.5" Crusher. I don't think 10 reps on 130 kg equals 150 kg for one rep.

Laine did 300 pounds for 10 consecutive reps and 332 single (+ he demonstrated his performance on old and new RT versions) - no doubt at all his level is somewhere far beyond ordinary man abilities, also he exceeded current 2.5 FBBC crusher WR by great margin being in humid conditions in Dubai, lifted on 60 mm Silarukov handle 103 kg*10 reps, no one in the world replicated such feats. Regarding previous WR on RT 150.5 kg I have a feeling that RT handle was modified somehow by organizers with main aim to beat Mark Felix's WR 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2018 at 11:07 PM, Randall Strossen said:

Absolutely correct, Florian.

But why you came up with that conclusion 5 years later?

Edited by Stanislav
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Stanislav said:

Laine did 300 pounds for 10 consecutive reps and 332 single (+ he demonstrated his performance on old and new RT versions) - no doubt at all his level is somewhere far beyond ordinary man abilities, also he exceeded current 2.5 FBBC crusher WR by great margin being in humid conditions in Dubai, lifted on 60 mm Silarukov handle 103 kg*10 reps, no one in the world replicated such feats. Regarding previous WR on RT 150.5 kg I have a feeling that RT handle was modified somehow by organizers with main aim to beat Mark Felix's WR 

I didn't see how much Laine pulled on the 2.5" FBBC Crusher in his meet up with @Jedd Johnsonand @Alawadhi.

I was pretty confused on the IM website where they listed a progression of the Rolling Thunder World Record, ending with a Mark Felix 301 lbs. record, and then beginning with AT's June 30, 2013 record. I emailed RJ Strossen. He said it was reset for the new version with AT's June 30, 2013 lift. They left Felix's 301 on the original version. If you look at the numbers, they have, in fine print, notated that Felix's was the old version.

There have been many Rolling Thunder versions, regardless of what anyone here tries to tell me, or RJS tries to tell me. But the biggest difference is the upgrade to what it is now from the old painted PVC pipe (the Felix version) style. I had a "new" version that met the proper test when I used it, and got up to 222 pounds on it. Then, in 2012, on Odd Haugen's RT, I was never able to pull more than 194 in a contest. I figured he just had a chalky undesirable implement. A few months back, I received a new RT from IM, as my old one had stiffened up. I cannot pull 190 on it. I have had about six different RT's over the years. The newer ones, as far as I am concerned, are harder.

I was there when AT pulled what is now the World Record. It was his American debut. He was impressive. That day, he beat Mike Burke by 2.5 kgs. on the Rolling Thunder, when Burke was in his gripping prime. It was on that same Rolling Thunder of Odd's that I hated and still hate.

I can't answer exactly why IM did what they did when they did. But in Randy's words, "have to say that Alexey fully supported IronMind's decision".

8 hours ago, bencrush said:

I didn't see how much Laine pulled on the 2.5" FBBC Crusher in his meet up with @Jedd Johnsonand @Alawadhi.

• Like 3

I know quite a lot about different feats of strength but I did not know Laine had pulled 150 kg on the RT. Is there a video of it somewhere? I have surely missed it in that case.

Edit: nevermind, found it now. Damn pounds screwing my mind :D 

Also found this clip with Alexey pulling 150: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eA693VeUvA

I'm not able to see any bracing there to be honest. Is this not the lift in question?

30 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

https://youtu.be/6075jeYInWI

i probably shpuld have posted this earlier, but better late than never.

That is "hate the playa AND the game STRENGTH"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

How does that line go from the movie where John Goodman is the loan shark for the gamblers?..

Laine is at the level of “f@*# you” strength!

Absolutely no doubt!!

2 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

Also found this clip with Alexey pulling 150: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eA693VeUvA

I'm not able to see any bracing there to be honest. Is this not the lift in question?

To me, it looks like he is slightly (maybe not intentionally) bracing it against his abdomen.  Also, the rag he brings up to clean it with has long been a "huh?" type deal for me.  It looks sketchy - even if it's not nefarious - and seems very unprofessional to have a contest allow that.  I think Alexey is mega strong.  For the record, I also don't think the rag has anything sticky or disallowed on it.  However, I can imagine that if every competitor started bringing a rag up and cleaning the surface that promoters would very quickly say it's no longer allowed. 

9 minutes ago, bencrush said:

To me, it looks like he is slightly (maybe not intentionally) bracing it against his abdomen.  Also, the rag he brings up to clean it with has long been a "huh?" type deal for me.  It looks sketchy - even if it's not nefarious - and seems very unprofessional to have a contest allow that.  I think Alexey is mega strong.  For the record, I also don't think the rag has anything sticky or disallowed on it.  However, I can imagine that if every competitor started bringing a rag up and cleaning the surface that promoters would very quickly say it's no longer allowed. 

At every comp I have attended, a rag is there for competitors to wipe off chalk. A rag provides by the promoter. I, for one, do not use much chalk at all and prefer the option to wipe it off. But it’s nit a rag that I brought myself. It’s provided by the competition holder. Was this a rag that he brings himself? Even if it was..... if it is looked at, and deemed kosher, I see no issue with it.

20 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

At every comp I have attended, a rag is there for competitors to wipe off chalk. A rag provides by the promoter. I, for one, do not use much chalk at all and prefer the option to wipe it off. But it’s nit a rag that I brought myself. It’s provided by the competition holder. Was this a rag that he brings himself? Even if it was..... if it is looked at, and deemed kosher, I see no issue with it.

Yes this is a must if it's a bare steel handle. No way I'm using chalk on stainless steel. Then I rather stay at home in my basement for the rest of my life and train.

34 minutes ago, bencrush said:

Maybe some part of his forearm but I really don't see his hand or the handle touch his abdomen. But it's hard to tell from that angle of course. I've seen other lifts from him that looks very similar, from other angles and there you can see it's not braced.

3 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Yes this is a must if it's a bare steel handle. No way I'm using chalk on stainless steel. Then I rather stay at home in my basement for the rest of my life and train.

It’s also a must for rolling thunder. I don’t use chalk on plastic handles.... makes it worse 

6 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

It’s also a must for rolling thunder. I don’t use chalk on plastic handles.... makes it worse 

On that surface it actually helps me.

3 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I think it makes more sense to have the contest provide a rag if competitors want to wipe chalk off.  Even if they check the rag one time (the judge), there is always the chance that they could go apply something sticky to the towel after it's been checked.  Or something like baby powder to sabotage the next competitor. 

• Like 2

Chalk on Rolling Thunder?

Mark Felix = Monster Hands. He uses lots of chalk.

Alexey T = Modest Sized Hands. He wipes the device clean before each lift.

You would think it would be the opposite.

Everyone has their personal preference on that one.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

Chalk on Rolling Thunder?

Mark Felix = Monster Hands. He uses lots of chalk.

Alexey T = Modest Sized Hands. He wipes the device clean before each lift.

You would think it would be the opposite.

Everyone has their personal preference on that one.

My hand is 8 inches.... I do not use chalk 

4 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

My hand is 8 inches.... I do not use chalk 

My hand is a bit less than that. I hate chalk on the Rolling Thunder. The first conversation I ever had with Alexey was when I wiped the handle with a dry washcloth before I did my first attempt. He showed me his rag and chuckled...

Just now, Hubgeezer said:

My hand is a bit less than that. I hate chalk on the Rolling Thunder. The first conversation I ever had with Alexey was when I wiped the handle with a dry washcloth before I did my first attempt. He showed me his rag and chuckled...

Yes! I will just put chalk on to dry my hand and wipe excess off as to not get on the implement

9 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

Assuming his rag is wet/moist?

2 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Assuming his rag is wet/moist?

That day, I didn't touch it or smell it, so I couldn't say. To Odd Haugen's credit, before the competition, he did hold it and smell it, then gave it back to him. A year or so later, before a competition in LA where I was not participating, I did the same thing. Strossen took a photo of me holding it as if I was some sort of fearless badass for questioning it. Not at all. I was just curious. If there was magic stuff on it, I didn't feel it or smell it, and the other competitors would have benefited from it. Sometimes some of us have semi-superstitions or habits or security blankets, and I suspect that is the case with Alexey's rag. 

On 10/19/2018 at 12:23 AM, Stanislav said:

True. In my place sometimes it is so humid that if someone can barely lift an Inch will NOT lift it there. Yes it happened.

On 10/18/2018 at 9:13 PM, Bryan Hunsaker said:

I agree. But Laine is really strong who can do that.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:58 AM, bencrush said:

Video has been shared. But look at this too 

On 10/19/2018 at 4:31 AM, Tommy J. said:

Exactly!

and im a bit fascinated how anyone who claims to be “in the know” missed these lifts by Laine.

im saking my head every time i read a post that insists “no one has even come close to 150k”.

uh... yes, Laine has. And then some.

Laine surely has.

On 10/19/2018 at 12:21 PM, Tommy J. said:

i do admit while im busy beating everyone up for not knowing of Laines 150k+ RT lift, that i also forgot about this lift.

i do remember Jedd and Bader uploading so much impressive stuff from when they met up, that the 2.5” crusher lift was easy to overlook/forget. So im guilty of not noting this lift as well.

the 150k+ RT pull he did a few years back was so awesome it was hard to forget though.. Laine did it so nonchalantly that i had to rewatch it 4 or 5 times.

Wait a while and you will see new videos of Laine up ;) Crazy incredible stuff. 

On 10/19/2018 at 6:18 PM, Joseph Sullivan said:

I didn't know that.