Gripmas Iron Mind Certifications

climber511

From Randall Strossen and IronMind

We’d be happy to lend you a Rolling Thunder (and IronMind loading pin & carabiner if you need them), and as far as any certifications (CoC grippers, Red/Gold Nail, Crushed-To-Dust) go, please feel welcome to announce them, but anyone interested must contact IronMind first, per the rules, and we will arrange the referees and official attempts with you:

I find this news very exciting and appreciate Randall allowing this.  It's now up to whoever wants to cert at Gripmas to set things up through Iron MInd  and let me know what's going on.  Grippers - Red or Gold Nails - or Crushed to Dust.

Thank you

Chris Rice

• Like 4

Query, to anyone who feels they have advice (and I am pretty sure I am not the only one who has this question):  

One reason I have not requested an Ironmind cert yet is that I have no idea how easy or hard the gripper I have to cert on will be.  I am fairly sure I could succeed with a 145 or less, but 145-150 would depend on the day, and fairly sure I could not with much more than 150.  Since there is a good chance I will get a gripper I can't cert (probably 50 per cent chance of over 150), I feel that I should not waste Ironmind's time asking for a judge just to indulge my hope that I get an easy cert gripper.  I'd think it is better form to wait until I am pretty sure I can do even a hard one, so as not to waste anyone's time.

But if Ironmind is going to be sending a judge to Gripmas anyway, and killing a whole slew of attempts with one stone, would that remove the taboo of asking to cert while knowing it is a crap shoot?  Interested to hear thoughts.

I’m actually in the same boat with the 3.5 vin. It’s a good question. I was thinking of just waiting till spring since I don’t want to waste a judges time but you raise a good point of a judge being there anyway.

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

I’m actually in the same boat with the 3.5 vin. It’s a good question. I was thinking of just waiting till spring since I don’t want to waste a judges time but you raise a good point of a judge being there anyway.

You'll destroy the #3.5 man. No doubt, they rarely are far above 180 lbs and even if you get one of those I think you have a good chance if your MMS is in the low to mid 200's.

Just now, Fist of Fury said:

You'll destroy the #3.5 man. No doubt, they rarely are far above 180 lbs and even if you get one of those I think you have a good chance if your MMS is in the low to mid 200's.

Thanks dude. I actually just had a great gripper workout. I don’t care if I miss but I know ironmind sends the gripper for free and you can keep it if you close it or not. Not sure if it’s a bad move on my part to not make sure I’m constantly in the 180s ccs first since they are fronting the cost of the gripper. Wasting a judges time has always been more my concern but if one will be there anyway I’m more inclined to try 

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Query, to anyone who feels they have advice (and I am pretty sure I am not the only one who has this question):  

One reason I have not requested an Ironmind cert yet is that I have no idea how easy or hard the gripper I have to cert on will be.  I am fairly sure I could succeed with a 145 or less, but 145-150 would depend on the day, and fairly sure I could not with much more than 150.  Since there is a good chance I will get a gripper I can't cert (probably 50 per cent chance of over 150), I feel that I should not waste Ironmind's time asking for a judge just to indulge my hope that I get an easy cert gripper.  I'd think it is better form to wait until I am pretty sure I can do even a hard one, so as not to waste anyone's time.

But if Ironmind is going to be sending a judge to Gripmas anyway, and killing a whole slew of attempts with one stone, would that remove the taboo of asking to cert while knowing it is a crap shoot?  Interested to hear thoughts.

I remember when I signed up for the red nail there was a part on the questionnaire where it asks you to confirm how many reds you've bent under cert conditions, and at the time I read from someone on the board that they had been denied the attempt because Ironmind didn't like the answer they gave.

I also remember reading somewhere (possibly by Randall, it was a while ago) that they try to be strict with that because otherwise they'd be sending out free grippers and nails to anyone who decides to sign up and get a free gripper, as well as wasting a ref's time.

Point I'm making is, if you write to Ironmind and offer to pay for the gripper they send out, I can't see why they wouldn't go for it, given that there will already be a referee on site.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anthony C. said:

Point I'm making is, if you write to Ironmind and offer to pay for the gripper they send out, I can't see why they wouldn't go for it, given that there will already be a referee on site.

I was thinking about this also. If the ref is there (say it’s chris) and I paid for the gripper, I would send the paperwork in this week. Not sure if ironmind would be alright with that though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I was thinking about this also. If the ref is there (say it’s chris) and I paid for the gripper, I would send the paperwork in this week. Not sure if ironmind would be alright with that though.

Randall can be a reasonable man as long as he's approached with respect.

If you make it clear that you're at the level required to cert the gripper and would like to give it a wack while putting nobody out of their way, I think he'd go for it.

Just now, Anthony C. said:

Randall can be a reasonable man as long as he's approached with respect.

If you make it clear that you're at the level required to cert the gripper and would like to give it a wack while putting nobody out of their way, I think he'd go for it.

Do you just go on the IM website and find his email?  I am good at polite respectful emails and I would gladly pay for my gripper.

2 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Do you just go on the IM website and find his email?  I am good at polite respectful emails and I would gladly pay for my gripper.

http://ironmind.com/certification/captains-of-crush/rules-for-closing-certification/

It's pretty  much just sales@ironmind.com but Randall handles the requests

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I don't think IM is going to send a judge to Gripmas.  I know a few people who are coming have served as judges before.  I don't want to even begin to answer for Randall.  In my dealings with him he has always been reasonable and professional.  I suggest calling and talking over your concerns with him personally and seeing what can be worked out.  

6 hours ago, Chez said:

I’m actually in the same boat with the 3.5 vin. It’s a good question. I was thinking of just waiting till spring since I don’t want to waste a judges time

This sounds kind of silly. The 3.5 cert is a short list - It is an exciting day for the judge no matter what happens. 

@Vinnie same thing for you. I think you should go for it. The worst that can happen is they say no.

8 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

This sounds kind of silly. The 3.5 cert is a short list - It is an exciting day for the judge no matter what happens. 

@Vinnie same thing for you. I think you should go for it. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Not really silly. If a judge has to travel some where, I would rather be more prepared. More of a respect thing. I destroyed my 3 cert with ease and met the judge at his job during lunch for the same reason. To make it easy for him 

Edited by Chez