Last Gripmas Goals

climber511

Thought it might be fun to come up with a list of goals for Gripmas.  With the dozens of possibilities - what are you going to try to accomplish - both in the contest portion and in the individual events?  I'll be posting mine soon.

This is a great idea for a post.  And I am looking forward to meeting you in December.

My OVERALL GRIP GOAL FOR MY LIFE is to get the IM cert on the COC 3 (what else is new on this board, that's the goal of most unless they already did it lol).  I think I can do it in time, as I have made some progress lately with Chez's help and recently MMS closed his COC cert gripper rated 153.  So I believe I am awfully close to being able to get MM1, which is a more immediate goal, and that with hard work and good health getting the IM cert in 2019 is not a pipe dream.

Other specific goals, some round numbers, which seem so arbitrary yet so close to my PRs and thus seemingly attainable:

1 - 200 on Euro (PR 193, have floated 200 and yesterday did 209 on 2" Saxon bar, which is about my preferred Euro width)

2 - 90 on flask (PR 81)

3 - pinch 2 45s (PR is 2 35s in both hands simultaneously, 2 35s transfer, but not even close to getting air on 2 45s, and I suspect I won't until after I can do 90 on the flask!)

4 - hub lift 2 45s (just learned yesterday how to do it and managed each hand alone, but Juliet Avila did both hands simultaneously and I couldn't, lol)

5 - 150 on crusher (PR 148)

6 - 40 on moontop (PR 39)

7 - 175 on jug (PR 167)

8 - lift baby inch

9 - try for a max on rolling thunder to see whether crushed to dust is worth adding to this list.  I can do 45 on the hub any day either hand and TNS a COC 2 for reps any day as well, but I am not sure I could ever pull 200 on the rolling thunder.  But I am also heeding some of my senior grip sports mentors' advice not to nay-say myself before giving it the college try, so I am willing to assess the situation next time I get to try a rolling thunder.  But I do think that is a real challenge that may have to wait for me to meet some of the closer to today ones listed above.

10 - deadlift 300.  I know that sounds kinda wimpy.  If I said axle 300 it would sound better, but for me they are the same, and it is the lift, not the grip, that holds me back.  I have had back surgery and I have much better arm strength than torso, core, and leg strength.  My axle and deadlift PRs are thus both 275, and in both cases I fail the next attempt up because I am unwilling to push the legs and back any more than I do for the 275.  I am thinking I need more practice on form and to be extremely careful.  Hence the modest goal and low placement on this list.

Some general goals:

1 - Get a little more into bending and card ripping.

2 - Beat Juliet, at least usually.

3 - Beat Dan Fleming just once at anything, even a crossword puzzle for chrissake.

4 - Get to the 74K weight class, because that probably would be my ideal physical weight for health reasons.  But maybe after I cert the 3 ...

• Like 6

3 hours ago, climber511 said:

Thought it might be fun to come up with a list of goals for Gripmas.  With the dozens of possibilities - what are you going to try to accomplish - both in the contest portion and in the individual events?  I'll be posting mine soon.

Oh, and for the contest itself?  My goal is to have fun.  I am pretty sure I won't be first or last in anything, but I plan to have fun, learn, meet some cool folks, and shoot for at least one comp PR and/or personal PR (and those are listed in my longer post above).

• Like 1

I haven't figured out exact numbers but I want to break a bunch of 66k records, I was close on the euro at gripmas last year and feel way stronger now. Half body weight on the flask would be nice, I don't have one to train on so don't know how realistic that is. Trying new feats is always a goal when going to comps, and mostly just hanging out and conversing with everybody and having a good time.

• Like 3

My Last Gripmas Carol Goals

First to just survive :).  It's going to be a long 3 days of moving my weights etc to the venue - doing the meet - then moving everything back and cleaning up the venue.

Under IGC and NAGS a 70 year old man must lift 75% of the current weight class record for the lift to be considered as an Age Group “World Record” (no idea if this will change under the new organization).  My goal is to set as many Age Group World Records as I can.  Being as how I’ll probably be the only one in my group – every lift will be a “record” of sorts but I want a certain standard in my mind.  t will be interesting to see how I do in regards to the percentages needed. 

Climber511

• Like 4

Going for the 195 Gripper 20mm block set. Just had a great gripper workout today 

• Like 4

I wish I could make it to this competition; just too far and right before exam week.😔

• Sad 1

I have no plans to lift just to support Chris however he needs me. 

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I have no plans to lift just to support Chris however he needs me. 

That is quite an offer - and i thank you for it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2018 at 5:04 PM, Nigel Blackburn said:

I wish I could make it to this competition; just too far and right before exam week.😔

Update: Screw that; let's do this.

Goals:

-Extend my 20mm block set WR

-Break Europinch WR

-Double BW axle DL

-Become the first 66kg lifter to achieve an "elite total"

-Most importantly: have fun and try new implements

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Goals:

-Break Europinch WR

-Double BW axle DL

All Right!  Just couldn't take it could you LOL

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, climber511 said:

All Right!  Just couldn't take it could you LOL

I couldn't turn down a once in a lifetime grip opportunity!

Once I get my flight situation figured out, I'll go ahead and fill out entry form.

21 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

Goals:

-Break Europinch WR

-Double BW axle DL

My goal is to break your euro record. I have no chance at touching you with grippers tho. The moontop record is only 15lbs so I'm excited for both of us to break it this weekend.

Just now, Climber028 said:

My goal is to break your euro record. I have no chance at touching you with grippers tho. The moontop record is only 15lbs so I'm excited for both of us to break it this weekend.

It's gonna be fun! 

It'll be nice to have the MoonTop WR for a few hours at least--unless if I bottom out at 14.5 lbs. 😂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

My 12 year old son (was 11) is top 5 in 66kg class🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Nigel Blackburn said:

It's gonna be fun! 

It'll be nice to have the MoonTop WR for a few hours at least--unless if I bottom out at 14.5 lbs. 😂

What I really want is either of us to take back the records from Andrei Terentiev and get US back at the top of lightweights.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

What I really want is either of us to take back the records from Andrei Terentiev and get US back at the top of lightweights.

Agreed. 

7 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Funniest comment I’ve seen in a while!

I saw Nigel(no doubt a  beast) wanted to extend his WR for 66kg so I was curious so checked Gripsport top 100 and went to weight class  and saw my sons name:)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

My 12 year old son (was 11) is top 5 in 66kg class🤣

Yep. I brought this up when people tried using nags data to create body weight formulas 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

I saw Nigel(no doubt a  beast) wanted to extend his WR for 66kg so I was curious so checked Gripsport top 100 and went to weight class  and saw my sons name:)

In some classes there are so few competitors. Would be pretty easy to get ones name at the top in some. Yes 

Just now, Joseph Sullivan said:

In some classes there are so few competitors. Would be pretty easy to get ones name at the top in some. Yes 

This is why I'm glad Nigel popped into the sport, it's not much fun competing alone

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Yep. I brought this up when people tried using nags data to create body weight formulas 

If an 11 year old is in the top 5, there is definitely not enough competition in a class.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

Once during a hot summer day there was a BWT % for IM hub:)