2018 October - WHEA Worlds - Mywor

Mywor

The competition was held in Hämeenlinna Finland, by World Heavy  Events Accosiation. Going into to the contest I knew I was up against one of the best if not the best overall grip guy in the world Harri Tolonen. We had 4 attempts in this competition in all the max lifts. 

Sorry I do not remember all the lifts, and we were not allowed to film, because the competition is televised.  The female lifters did great in the competition as well, and excuse me for focusing mostly on my self. Becca did break one Ironmind world record tho 😏

Event 1. Silver Bullet 

My goal was to win the event, and week before I was able to set up 234lbs gripper easily to depth. I ended up coming fourth with close to 11 seconds on #4. It's a decent time, but I was expecting more. Still I'm happy to know my level on SB is so high I'm dissatisfied with 10 seconds. Four guys over 10 seconds with #4... 

1. Harri 22 seconds

2. Paul Savage 13 seconds

3. Jouni 11 seconds 

4. Jesse Pynnönen 10 seconds

Event 2. Wrist Roller 80kg

No one really had trained for this event so we didn't really know what to expect. A lot of people had trouble finishing the event, but for some it seemed quite easy and it came down to doing one mistake. 

1. (-93kg class) Miika Lapplainen 7 seconds

2. Jesse Pynnönen just over 8 seconds

3. Harri Tolonen just under 9 seconds

Can't remember the rest, but only few guys finished. 

Event 3. IM Hub 

This event has been something I've focused on for the past 2 months or so while doing Moontop for King Kong. My ultimate goal for this year was 40kg. The level is ridiculously high, and I knew I had to pull atleast 40kg to come in second or third in this event. We had 4 attempts so I started from 32.5kg, which was a bit low for me, but with 2.5kg jumps I would end up at 40kg anyway.

By the way Harri started from 40kg..

1. 42.5kg Harri (locked out 45kg, but dropped it) 

2. 40kg Jesse Pynnönen, Jouni Mähönen 

3. 37.5kg Arto Joronen, Niko Junnilainen

Can't remember rest of the lifts but I think pretty much all males finished over 30kg. I was super hyped lifting 40kg in a contest with maybe a bit more in the tank. 

Event 4. IM Little big horn

I was expecting to do pretty well in this event, but I was not strong enough today and underperformed. I have not failed 100kg in a contest this year. Also keep in mind both Niko and Jouni are around 90kg or less.. 

1. 95kg Niko Junnilainen, Jouni Mähönen, Jesse Pynnönen, Arto Joronen

2.90kg Harri Tolonen and some other guess. 

3. Paul 85kg,and few other guys

Event 5. 50 Axle deadlift

Harri was in a 1 point lead before this event and in the past he has beaten me or we have tied on Axle. My previous personal record was 180kg, and I haven't touched Axle in training this year. 

I hit 170, 175,180 and crushed 185kg. Harri started from 175kg, but struggled with 180kg. He had two 1 minute attempts on 185kg, but if he didn't get it I would win. During the first 1 minute attempt he barely missed the weight twice! 

It all came down to the very last attempt of the competition to know who would win the WHEA Worlds. This day it was Harri Tolonen as hit 185kg finishing with 1 point lead. 

I didn't win this day, but at same time I was super happy with my Hub and the Axle (hit 190kg after the contest) . Not only that, but being able to compete against guys like Harri, Arto and Paul really makes my day and truly pushes me to the next level. I'm proud to lose to Harri, and he is an amazing guy who is really pushing the sport forward with his coach Levi. Harri definitely has more in the tank, and I'm sure numbers just keep going up. 

- Jesse Pynnönen

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mywor said:

The competition was held in Hämeenlinna Finland, by World Heavy  Events Accosiation. Going into to the contest I knew I was up against one of the best if not the best overall grip guy in the world Harri Tolonen. We had 4 attempts in this competition in all the max lifts. 

Sorry I do not remember all the lifts, and we were not allowed to film, because the competition is televised.  The female lifters did great in the competition as well, and excuse me for focusing mostly on my self. Becca did break one Ironmind world record tho 😏

Event 1. Silver Bullet 

My goal was to win the event, and week before I was able to set up 234lbs gripper easily to depth. I ended up coming fourth with close to 11 seconds on #4. It's a decent time, but I was expecting more. Still I'm happy to know my level on SB is so high I'm dissatisfied with 10 seconds. Four guys over 10 seconds with #4... 

1. Harri 22 seconds

2. Paul Savage 13 seconds

3. Jouni 11 seconds 

4. Jesse Pynnönen 10 seconds

Event 2. Wrist Roller 80kg

No one really had trained for this event so we didn't really know what to expect. A lot of people had trouble finishing the event, but for some it seemed quite easy and it came down to doing one mistake. 

1. (-93kg class) Miika Lapplainen 7 seconds

2. Jesse Pynnönen just over 8 seconds

3. Harri Tolonen just under 9 seconds

Can't remember the rest, but only few guys finished. 

Event 3. IM Hub 

This event has been something I've focused on for the past 2 months or so while doing Moontop for King Kong. My ultimate goal for this year was 40kg. The level is ridiculously high, and I knew I had to pull atleast 40kg to come in second or third in this event. We had 4 attempts so I started from 32.5kg, which was a bit low for me, but with 2.5kg jumps I would end up at 40kg anyway.

By the way Harri started from 40kg..

1. 42.5kg Harri (locked out 45kg, but dropped it) 

2. 40kg Jesse Pynnönen, Jouni Mähönen 

3. 37.5kg Arto Joronen, Niko Junnilainen

Can't remember rest of the lifts but I think pretty much all males finished over 30kg. I was super hyped lifting 40kg in a contest with maybe a bit more in the tank. 

Event 4. IM Little big horn

I was expecting to do pretty well in this event, but I was not strong enough today and underperformed. I have not failed 100kg in a contest this year. Also keep in mind both Niko and Jouni are around 90kg or less.. 

1. 95kg Niko Junnilainen, Jouni Mähönen, Jesse Pynnönen, Arto Joronen

2.90kg Harri Tolonen and some other guess. 

3. Paul 85kg,and few other guys

Event 5. 50 Axle deadlift

Harri was in a 1 point lead before this event and in the past he has beaten me or we have tied on Axle. My previous personal record was 180kg, and I haven't touched Axle in training this year. 

I hit 170, 175,180 and crushed 185kg. Harri started from 175kg, but struggled with 180kg. He had two 1 minute attempts on 185kg, but if he didn't get it I would win. During the first 1 minute attempt he barely missed the weight twice! 

It all came down to the very last attempt of the competition to know who would win the WHEA Worlds. This day it was Harri Tolonen as hit 185kg finishing with 1 point lead. 

I didn't win this day, but at same time I was super happy with my Hub and the Axle (hit 190kg after the contest) . Not only that, but being able to compete against guys like Harri, Arto and Paul really makes my day and truly pushes me to the next level. I'm proud to lose to Harri, and he is an amazing guy who is really pushing the sport forward with his coach Levi. Harri definitely has more in the tank, and I'm sure numbers just keep going up. 

- Jesse Pynnönen

Congrats big guy!! You lifted incredible numbers and great battle with Harri- who is a special talent!!

• Like 1