Emerging Contenders - Eldersburg, Maryland - December 2018

lder

I am hosting the first annual "Emerging Contenders" grip contest. It is sanctioned by Armlifting USA and will be held at my studio, details are below and on the event page of my Facebook page (Renewed Strength LLC). I have a bunch of other grip stuff, 150lb anvil, anvil trainer, deadlift rings, Flask, full collection of fatman blobs and some other stuff to mess around with during or after the contest. 

Emerging Contenders is a grip contest designed to introduce grip-specific contests and the Armlifting USA organization to the east coast, specifically Maryland. It will be followed in April by the inaugural Maryland’s Strongest Hands grip contest. Training and testing your grip through formal competition is fun and has many benefits. You can incorporate grip specific training into any current workout or sport specific training cycle, including in-season sports, almost seamlessly. All of the lifting equipment used for this year’s Emerging Contenders contest is made by IronMind Enterprises, including the Hub, Apollon’s Axle, Rolling Thunder, and Silver Bullet. All four lifts are well established in the world of armlifting and have recognized world records through IronMind. Also, Armlifting USA maintains, on their website, a top ten leaderboard in multiple weight classes for Men and Women, so even if you’re not breaking world records you still have a chance to be recognized!

Limited to the first 25 paid competitors

Fees:
$20 until November 10
$35 on or after November 11
Registration opens 10/6/18

Divisions:
Men under 220lbs
Men 220lbs+
Women
Teen 13-19 years old
Awards will be given for first, second, and third place finishers in each division. The overall male, female, and teen contestant will receive free entry to the Maryland’s Strongest Hands grip contest held on April 6 at Renewed Strength.

Format:
2-3 flights will be divided based on the number of entries. Each flight will have three rounds for each event. This will allow a lifter enough time (up to 10 minutes) to recover between rounds, but also stay prepared for their next attempt. Silver Bullet will be two attempts.

Events:
Ironmind Hub
Double Overhand Ironmind Apollons Axle
Ironmind Rolling Thunder
Silver Bullet

Event Rules:
Events will be contested and judged using the rules outlined on the Armlifting USA rules tab under the Contest tab found HERE

Additional rules:
No wrist wraps, elbow sleeves, or tacky may be used.

Contest participants must abide by all Renewed Strength LLC policies and procedures and sign a liability release form before competing. These will be provided to the contestant once registered and at the event.

This is going to be an awesome event; we want you to enjoy competing and have fun. However any participant or spectator displaying unbecoming behavior such as, but not limited to, profanity, poor temper, vulgar dialog, and other un-sportsman like conduct will be disqualified from the contest and asked to leave the facility.

Any participant under 18 years old must be accompanied by an adult (21 years or older) for the entire competition.

No Refunds

image.png

Edited by lder
Missing information
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

There is more information about this contest HERE on my training studio's Facebook event page.  I know it is the same date as Gripmas, but for those on the east coast not able to make it out to Ohio please consider participating.  Everyone is welcome, especially novice or newer lifters who want to test the waters or get into the sport.  Contact me at renewedstrengthmd@gmail.com to find out more.  

Thanks,

John Foelber

• 2 weeks later...

The last day to register for this event at $20 is Saturday, after that the entry fee goes up to $35!  My goal for this event is to drum up some interest in grip in the Mid-Atlantic area.  The venue is about 35 minutes west of Baltimore, 45 minutes north of DC, and about 45 minutes south of the PA/MD state line.  We already have 6 registered lifters, including a former national level weightlifter, two competitive power-lifters, one strongman competitor and two other competitors with some grip experience.  This is a great event to get your feet wet in grip and support the drive to have formal grip contests in Maryland.  The winner of this contest gets a free entry into next year's Maryland's Strongest Hands.  More details of that event are coming, but the event is posted in this forum.   

As the host and event director I will not be competing, so first place is up for grabs.  

Thanks,

John

• 2 weeks later...

To prepare for this competition I am having an event training day tomorrow, November 24 from 9am-12pm. This training day will give you the chance to get your hands on the actual implements, ballpark your openers and estimated max weights, and I will be available to help you with specific techniques for each lift. I have a lot of other grip stuff you can try also, including a few items that will be part of next year's Maryland's Strongest Hands Contest.

This is open to registered competitors and those interested in the contest even if you nave not yet registered.

There is no cost for this training day, however if you do plan on making it just let me know by emailing me renewedstrengthmd@gmail.com.

The training studio is Renewed Strength LLC located just west of Baltimore and North of DC in central Maryland.  

Studio address is:

1532 Liberty Road Suite 111

Sykesville, MD 21784

Edited by lder

4 hours ago, lder said:

We are only 10 days out from this contest!  There is still room for a few more entries, register now!

How many you have so far? Can you show a list of who is attending? Thanks!

Joe

I am not publishing a list of registered athletes, but as of today we are at 7.  There is a good group made up of a couple powerlifters, a strongman competitor, a couple weightlifters and a few other novice lifters.  There might be a couple 400+ DO axle attempts at this competition.

53 minutes ago, lder said:

I am not publishing a list of registered athletes, but as of today we are at 7.  There is a good group made up of a couple powerlifters, a strongman competitor, a couple weightlifters and a few other novice lifters.  There might be a couple 400+ DO axle attempts at this competition.

Hmm,  that’s interesting. Most, if not all competitions that post on the board seem to post their competitors that will be attending, especially if asked. May I ask why you aren’t?  Good luck anyway! 

I don't need to give a reason and as far as I can tell most other listed competitions don't give a list. The results will be listed on the Armlifting USA website when the contest is completed and lifts are uploaded.  

21 minutes ago, lder said:

I don't need to give a reason and as far as I can tell most other listed competitions don't give a list. The results will be listed on the Armlifting USA website when the contest is completed and lifts are uploaded.  

Jeez guy, whats the big deal? 

Well i just signed up. I've never competed in anything strength sport related but i have been wanting to for some time. I am very excited for an event I'm sure i wont place well in!😝

7 hours ago, lder said:

Okaayyyyy. Didn’t know the the competitors were a secret. Nice chatting with ya pal and good luck.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, nickthetick said:

Well i just signed up. I've never competed in anything strength sport related but i have been wanting to for some time. I am very excited for an event I'm sure i wont place well in!😝

Don’t go in with a defeated attitude. I’m sure a lot entering are inexperienced. You may do a lot better than you expected by the sounds of it.

Edited by Guest