A question for experienced benders

Aleksandar Milosevic

Hey guys, I never did much bending, but I found some old nails that I've bent around two years ago, and I'm trying to determine what size or strength they are.

I hope the pictures actually show.

I'm asking you about it, since I want to know what level are these nails at, and I remember bending 4-5 in a row.

Thanks!

43788781_329675901122328_5998921813214625792_n.jpg

43823293_1843021702481377_5348328164445650944_n.jpg

I know, but I don't know if it's quantifiable, as for example this nail compared to the red nail is like #1 compared to the #3, something along those lines. I know it's kind of a bizzare question.

Edited by Aleksandar Milosevic

The nail looks like a 60 penny.  Not a very hard bend, but there are definitely some mutant variations out there.  In comparison to a Red, it would be very difficult to compare at different lengths.  (A 60d is a significantly easier bend though.)  There are some guys that can destroy mutant stock at 5-6" length, but cannot exert the same kind of power into longer bars.  If you are interested in certing the Red, I'd advise sticking to bars of the same length, in increasingly difficult diameters.  Not too sure how long you've been bending, but drill rod is phenomenal for this, as it can potentially take you step-by-step up the ladder.  Of course, there will always be variation, but overall, it's a great guide.

• Like 5

To be honest, I'm kinda scared of bending. Both of my wrists are hurt for years now (from boxing) and I've also had some pectoralis issues so I don't think I'll try it again soon. I grabbed about 10 of these nails back then just to try it out. 

I found the bent nails yesterday and I was curious about the level of resistance these nails possess. 

Thank you all for the answers!

Since the good/informative answers have already been given, let me offer you an overly literal answer. Keep in mind that steel varies, as do grippers  

A 60D nail is usually around 280 pounds to kink. (Steel varies.) A Red usually calibrates around 450 pounds. (Steel varies.) Scaling down to about 1/3, if a Red is a #3 (~150 RGC), a 60D would look a lot like a 1.5 (~90 RGC). Steel and grippers vary.

Hope this exercise in pedantry was useful!

PS steel varies

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

Getting into bending seems like a huge headache

That’s exactly why I love it. The more complicated something is, the more I like it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopefully said:

Getting into bending seems like a huge headache

With all of the analysis and technical specs, it might seem like that on the surface, but in my experience, it has been the total opposite.  Just getting started is exciting, as every bend could be a PR and as this is happening, you are learning a ton about yourself, capabilities and technique.  Bending has been a therapeutic constant in my life for the past decade and has gotten me through a lot of issues and difficulties.  Even now, after all of these years, I can still channel anger, frustration etc. into a bar and have it disappear, at least temporarily, and usually springboard into a renewed focus.

• Like 7

On 10/12/2018 at 12:57 PM, Tom Flesher said:

Since the good/informative answers have already been given, let me offer you an overly literal answer. Keep in mind that steel varies, as do grippers  

A 60D nail is usually around 280 pounds to kink. (Steel varies.) A Red usually calibrates around 450 pounds. (Steel varies.) Scaling down to about 1/3, if a Red is a #3 (~150 RGC), a 60D would look a lot like a 1.5 (~90 RGC). Steel and grippers vary.

Hope this exercise in pedantry was useful!

PS steel varies

Tom, that was the exact thing I was looking for, thank you for the best answer!

I'm pretty satisfied if that's the case, since I can bend them in less than 3 seconds in an old towel.

I've used double overhand technique, and as far as I remember, it didn't bother my wrists.

• Like 1