Brian shaw 238lb little big horn lift

Stephen Ruby

13 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

“Shrugs”... for you missing my sarcasm towards Paul for splitting hairs on minuscule plate widths.

i compared higher end comp plates to Academy special plates. Maybe you overlooked my comparison?

The comparison to Pauls complaint of Juha using thin (or easy) plates to pinch, would be a guy who is deadlifting at record levels in his garage on cheap brick and mortar store plates accusing a stronger guy who uses comp plates to deadlift of cheating, using “taller” plates.

And since you mention, Yes, there was a slight difference in bar hight between some high dollar rogue comp plates, and some standard 45lb plates i stood upright next to each other. 

No where did i suggested that various comp level plates in different feds are different hights. 

Do i think that slight hight difference between cheap and comp plates makes that much difference in the grand scheme? Not anymore than anyone who suggests that Juha pinched easy plates.

the bar hight difference i saw (minuscule) could almost be corrected by putting on a second pair of socks..

its such an invalid argument by Paul, that it can only be addressed with sarcasm.

You up to speed now?

I don't get why you insist on personal attacks against me, I can't see any way in which this benefits you or anybody else, but i'm not some guy who just trains in his garage bud. Been top 5 at two world championships (world strongest hands and US world grip championships), top 3 in European championships etc these being weight categories excluded e.g overall. I'm also the coach of the strongest female athlete to ever do the sport imo (I feel she has proven this now). I probably shouldn't bother to defend myself as the stuff your saying is really petty.

Again, the plates thing was really nothing to do with juha, he's one of many that have used the plates. I totally get it in terms of making things standard but those kind of plates are very expensive at the same time. The difference in width was not small, it was nearly half the width on some of the wider multi plate feats, with of course the width being the main difficulty with those as oppose to the weight. I have no issue with anyone using any plates, I just personally feel there should maybe be different lists etc Just my opinion though, happy for anybody to disagree.

13 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

And have you seen Pauls #4 close vids? If not, watch them. Then decide for yourself if he has any room to call out any feat of Juhas, or anyone else of seemingly cheating.

Again I don't get how these personal attacks benefit you and of course I never said anything about anybody cheating.

Again, I know I shouldn't lower myself but these are clear enough. 

Hopefully this thread can get back on topic now.

• Like 1

There's no such thing as a "3x15 plate pinch" or whatever. For plate pinching it should always be stated what type of plates it is. So no point arguing about that as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Oh no you dont!

these are your closes im talking about.

Somebody posts a video where they do a widish paused close on a #4 and even though you can hear the handles crack together, you complain about it. The easy thing to do is not to complain, but to do it better yourself. Problem with that is that its not easy and took years and years of absolute obsession to be able to do, good camera skills or not.

29 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

The pettycopter has returned! 🚁

Look man i dont have anything against you personally. I actually think you do fine. Sometimes a bit smug towards other top performers, but hey. 

But seriously though, your setting of grippers between your thighs is embarrassing. Just sayin’

You are too big of a guy to need to set a gripper like that. I can easily set a 220# gripper to parallel and im not overly strong in the chest.

and on a random side note, do you think going as thin as possible on the euro is cheating also? Plate pinching any 2 plates arent necessarily supposed to be a wide pinch challenge. Thats what blobs and pinching more than 2 plates are for.

Yes I need to work on my set. Its great you can set a #220 gripper easy, unfortunately it takes more than setting a gripper to close it.

The point being if blobzilla was scaled down to 60% size, but weighed the same, it would be night and day easier. This is the issue with using thin plates for wide plate pinch feats as it takes the width difficulty out of it to a large extent and in my opinion becomes a different feat. An again, I wasn't saying anything juha or anyone else did was wrong or not strong etc It's just my opinion on the feat.

No of course euro pinch is adjustable to everybody so they can lift the most at there best widths and I think thats great. Also thinner doesn't always = easier, very narrow can be significantly harder for some.

Edited by Paul Savage

4 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I mean damn.. there is quite the phenomenon of people around here these days who havent a clue about what kind of grip feats have already been done.

what gives with that?.. on another thread we had people swearing up and down that no one “has even come close” to 150k RT pull, now we have people here insisting that more than 2 plates being pinched in 1 hand “isnt even a thing”.

I believe he was saying that it's not a singular feat, such as an inch lift or other devices that are all reasonably identical. Whenever plate feats are done the type of plate is either shown or mentioned to have some sort of comparison between lifters. Obviously multiple plate lifts are done but there is so much variety you may be able to pinch 5 dimes of one brand but only 4 of another. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Then why did you not do the same with Juha?

It wasn't about me vs him, it was about the feats and me being traditional in that way. Part of the difficultly of plate pinching is that plates don't always fit together well and that they can be really wide with multi plate pinching. As for my training I'd done three wide 15kg and had trained for four 10kg for a long while so maybe wasnt best pleased when someone else came along doing plates that were nearly half the width and fit together perfectly but it was more about the feat and feeling it was changed (I have absolutely nothing against juha or anyone else). To give you an idea laine snook couldn't lift four 7.5kg of my plates even at all, and those were the same brand and width as the 10kg's I trained with. These were the ones we called the thin 10kg plates, yet still the difference in width was massive. Again its totally fine if anyone disagrees and I'll bow out of this thread as I'm not interested in arguments and negativity.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tommy J. said:

If thats the case, i dont disagree.

i do believe however that using some form of popular comp style plates are the best way to standardize plate pinching though.

I don't care what plates are used, as long is you're transparent and aren't doing anything sneaky

3 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

I see what your saying. Ive gotten your point since day 1 the first time you mentioned it. You went out of your way to imply that your plates were “harder to pinch” than Juhas. And your still doing it.

Im done with the back and forth on what you think vs what i think though. Im moving on to calling you out at this point.

why dont you acquire the exact same plates as Juha, and show us how easy they are? Do you need a gofundme account started to cover plate expenses?

I can't remember the last time I did any plate pinching but again it wasn't about me vs him and I'm very happy for juha to be stronger.

Hope everybody's training is going well and this thread can get back on track.

• Like 1

Keep the thread on topic or it will be on lock-down

20 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

I see what your saying. Ive gotten your point since day 1 the first time you mentioned it. You went out of your way to imply that your plates were “harder to pinch” than Juhas. And your still doing it.

Im done with the back and forth on what you think vs what i think though. Im moving on to calling you out at this point.

why dont you acquire the exact same plates as Juha, and show us how easy they are? Do you need a gofundme account started to cover plate expenses?

I’m waiting for you to post a current feat not consisting of running your mouth at land speed records. 

Edited by KapMan

Guys, take it private. This thread has gone way off topic from where it should have been.