Brian shaw 238lb little big horn lift

Stephen Ruby

12 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

For clarity of this thread...
the original LBH did actually have a eye hook on both sides.

As a matter of fact in 2013 I emailed Iron-Mind about the LBH as I noticed the new ones were different then the one shown in my original  Iron-Mind catalog.  At the time I actually thought the older design offered more training options but...
Here is what Elizabeth Hammond emailed be back on 7/23/2013:
"The Little Big Horn was modified a few years ago to more accurately represent the horn of an anvil:  the slope was changed and the second connecting point was removed since you only lift an anvil by the horn in one direction.  While the second connecting point might have seemed to add an option, the lift from the bottom did not really correspond to any traditional or classic lifts and was not specifically applicable to any grip requirements.  The current Little Big Horn is now being used the IronMind Record Breakers contest and as such, will become a standard test of grip strength."

Most understood what I meant and if not Eric cleared that up by showing the various anvils in a vid 2 days ago. Much easier and not the current model

45 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Most understood what I meant and if not Eric cleared that up by showing the various anvils in a vid 2 days ago. Much easier and not the current model

Like wicked easier. Those dudes in his video that casually picked up 190 would not be doing that so easy with the current model as most of us who have used the current model would agree. But hey, ya never know. That old version was nothing like an anvil slope. I’m glad they changed it.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

Like wicked easier. Those dudes in his video that casually picked up 190 would not be doing that so easy with the current model as most of us who have used the current model would agree. But hey, ya never know. That old version was nothing like an anvil slope. I’m glad they changed it.

No doubt, his crew might be strong in the gym but have below average grip strength- especially for their BWT

12 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You and many others would be twirling that 238 over your heads and doing it NATURALLY!!!

17 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

You and many others would be twirling that 238 over your heads and doing it NATURALLY!!!

You are correct... since that is more like a jug... would love to try the old one 

7 minutes ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

You are correct... since that is more like a jug... would love to try the old one 

Arto from Finland posted this picture of the old little big horn on Facebook. It’s crazy. It barely has any taper. It really does look closer to the jug. 

Image may contain: one or more people

Edited by Chez
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Chez said:

Arto from Finland posted this picture

which he screen-capped that from the video posted by Eric Roussin (posted previous page).

Edit: Not trying to be a dick, just giving credit to the man!

Edited by DAVE101

1 minute ago, DAVE101 said:

which he screen-capped that from the video posted by Eric Roussin (posted previous page).

Oh really. Didn’t know that because I didn’t watch the vid. I was just looking for a quick picture so people can see since I couldn’t find one on the web 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Chez said:

Arto from Finland posted this picture of the old little big horn on Facebook. It’s crazy. It barely has any taper. It really does look closer to the jug. 

Yes... so 238 on that is not that hard if you’re good at the jug. I have pulled in the neighborhood  260 on the jug. Would love to try the old LBH for fun . That being said, I still think Shaw can pull 238 on the new LBH also. If not first shot, after a few workouts.

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Wow, I had no idea that was actually an old Ironmind LBH!  I pulled five 45s (both hands, with strength to spare) on a loading pin with that exact implement at a grip get together around a decade ago.  It held chalk really well and I thought it was just someone's really well made homemade grip device.  We were doing a bunch of other stuff (1" vbar was "my thing" back then) so I didn't go as heavy as I could've that day.  Not sure what the bare weight of the LBH was then, but I remember thinking about putting another 45 on that stack.  Probably wouldn't have gone...but that was around the time I was pulling in the low-400lb range on the 1" vbar, so I was feeling cocky. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bencrush said:

Wow, I had no idea that was actually an old Ironmind LBH!  I pulled five 45s (both hands, with strength to spare) on a loading pin with that exact implement at a grip get together around a decade ago.  It held chalk really well and I thought it was just someone's really well made homemade grip device.  We were doing a bunch of other stuff (1" vbar was "my thing" back then) so I didn't go as heavy as I could've that day.  Not sure what the bare weight of the LBH was then, but I remember thinking about putting another 45 on that stack.  Probably wouldn't have gone...but that was around the time I was pulling in the low-400lb range on the 1" vbar, so I was feeling cocky. 

That’s Crazy!!! 

On 10/9/2018 at 12:33 AM, Stephen Ruby said:

That really isn't fair to the heavy weight class. Even in the deadlift which scales much better then grip for weight  Benedikt Magnusson is only about 5% better then Cailer Woolam despite being twice as big as him and I don't think his accomplishment is "not impressive at all".  I think being better whether by 1lb or 50lbs still means your stronger. I think grip is the only strength sport other then arm wrestling where light guys can compete with heavier guys and be competitive which is why its a great sport. 

I think what Gil is saying is that although Brians numbers are good, they for sure aren’t as impressive as they can be if he devoted a year or two of dedicated grip training. And not just as a complementary exercise to improve his strongman lifte, which he obviously already does. I’m talking devoted training with the specific implements with a training plan structured with the intent of being able to lift as heavy as possible with the specific grip implements. If he did that, he would most likely lift alot more.

And what’s the deal with not understanding the resons behind weight classes? I’m sure there are 80 kg dudes who can deadlift and bench more than pretty much anyone on this forum. Does that mean that weight classes don’t matter? Of course not! It just means that the dude is that much stronger and better.

For weight classes not to matter you would have to assume that:

1. Strength is not size dependable

2. Calory intake does not affect your atrength performance, i.e. being on a caloric surplus will not benefit your strength and being on a caloric deficit will not hurt your strength.

Obviously both of those statements are incorrect. 

On 10/9/2018 at 11:59 AM, Tommy J. said:

so what your suggesting is that Brians grip is at or near its max potential? How rude. 😬

if thats the case, im going to continue to argue otherwise. What we are seeing out of him is not as strong as he can be. his recent hubbing as example. Notice how he gripped it.. and also how poorly seasoned it looked. that alone represents where immediate improvements can be made to add weight. In the event he truly felt the need to break the hub record, for example, all he really needs to do is experiment a bit with his grip and his hub numbers will rise without even the immediate need to get stronger on it.

it looks more to me like hes interested in grip strength, and is more or less is looking for new ways to put out new content more than anything. I mean even he knows we can only stand to see so much eating, deadlifting, and pressing type vids.

To suggest that hes at his strongest with grip due to the nature of various implements in his area of expertise is a bit too pessimistic for me to get on board.

or maybe not.. but either way, im not interested in understanding why you would suggest it.

i know that i would never say that about anyone. Its almost the same as implying that they shouldnt even bother trying to get stronger.

I agree. Paul implies that the British are the strongest (I don't mind if they are) and implies too that he has better grip than Brian Shaw (No offense Paul you have serious grip but not close to Brian at all). Paul also claims that he knows Brian Shaw trains grip a lot.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:55 AM, David_wigren said:

Oleg almost doesn’t count since his hand is so malformed that it makes it very hard for his opponents to even grip up. And on top of that, his brachioradialis muscle is about 2-3 times the normal size and inserts way up on his upper arm and way down on his forearm, givning him an extreme mechanical advantage.

John Brzenk is a good example and while he had periods where he was around 90 kg, he was his best and strongest at 100-105 kg. However, I predict that if armwrestling were as big of an international sport as say soccer, with millions upon millions of participants. John Brzenk would only had been good in his own weight class. And not have a chance against the real heavyweights.

Hmmm I never thought of this. I thought what is he saying John beated many top heavyweights. But when they thing is big, lots of money and crowds, things change. Look at the 100M Olympic record. 1936 Jesse Owns won in 10.2 seconds while in 2009 Usian Bolt in 9.58 seconds. Some people say we got better, evolved, faster and so on. But back then in 1936 things weren't as big as now. If it were big and there was the internet and people were aware then better and faster people would've come and competed. And more awareness of the sports and training. Also the shoes and track back then was shit. There is also no place to put your feet on in the start if you know what do I mean. Better drug enhancement too now. Plus other things. Of course Owens might had a chance if same condition applies to him too. Not to mention better athletes come from back then to compete. Look at that video from 1936 

On 10/10/2018 at 12:06 AM, Joseph Sullivan said:

So what’s the deal with all the straps these days? Seems like everyone I see is pulling with straps, from strongmen to powerlifters to the average IG poster. I don’t get it. SMH. 

I don't know that too. But maybe because using a mixed grip trains different muscle thus causing imbalances?

On 10/10/2018 at 7:26 AM, Tommy J. said:

I gathered that by your attempt to point out how often “taxed” his grip is by all the lifts you listed. Which close to half of havent been contested for years. Although i used to love watching the Hercules hold, we havent seen it in action in years, along with others. And further, you have already said that you “know” Brian has been directly training his grip for years in other threads. And when asked for details, you revert to every method ever testing grip in strongman and imply Brian trains them “all the time”.

Was that not the point you were making? You have had a tendency many times of coming off like your underscoring anyone who does something of note grip wise that isnt You, David Horne, or Mobster.

you did it with Juha more than once, and PK at least once, and Vogt a handful of times.

you accused Juha of seeking out easy plates to pinch, and once tried to imply that the same exact rated gripper close that PK did, Mobster did it and it was higher rated. Yep. That happened!

i mean i get it... im proud of Americans doing big thangs. But not to the point that you are with guys from England or whatever.

Paul, it is okay that others not from England have a super strong grip. Your just gonna have to accept it.

and to throw in another gem, i have noticed that you, for years, refuse to look at or post in any thread where specifically some gripper badassery has happened. Unless it is by Mobster of course.. Only to post vids of yourself doing out of camera sets and closes on #4s.

I agree on all the above and remember them. As for your last sentence, lol. I think he's changed.

47 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I think what Gil is saying is that although Brians numbers are good, they for sure aren’t as impressive as they can be if he devoted a year or two of dedicated grip training. And not just as a complementary exercise to improve his strongman lifte, which he obviously already does. I’m talking devoted training with the specific implements with a training plan structured with the intent of being able to lift as heavy as possible with the specific grip implements. If he did that, he would most likely lift alot more.

And what’s the deal with not understanding the resons behind weight classes? I’m sure there are 80 kg dudes who can deadlift and bench more than pretty much anyone on this forum. Does that mean that weight classes don’t matter? Of course not! It just means that the dude is that much stronger and better.

For weight classes not to matter you would have to assume that:

1. Strength is not size dependable

2. Calory intake does not affect your atrength performance, i.e. being on a caloric surplus will not benefit your strength and being on a caloric deficit will not hurt your strength.

Obviously both of those statements are incorrect. 

No, it is impressive. I would like someone to directly compete with him, same place, same time, same implements, same technique, and then say he wasn't impressive.

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Actually, just like Chez, I did not originally watch Eric's video.  [Not sure about him, but for my own employment situation, It is not smart to be watching video at work on my phone, but I can easily get away with reading GripBoard posts.]
After watching Eric's video I am actually very happy someone posted it.  I did not even know Eric had a youtube channel so thanks!  [subscribed now]

Eric's video is great, but having that single freeze frame is probably the most helpful for this discussion.  
I even tried to find info on the LBH in David Horne's "Gripopaedia" but i was not able to even find the LBH [while the book does have page numbers, there is no index]
Clearly Brain Shaw is using the older and way easier implement.  At no point does he hide what it looks like so i do not think any trickery was intended.  I would think he did not know about the update to the design, and I assume once it is brought to his attention, he will get one of the new LBH's before posting any videos doing LBH work... as he seems to be 100% authentic.  
If not, once Brian Shaw is able to visit Jedd, the Diesel Crew will set him on the right path for sure.

I still like that I was able to revisit my emails from Iron-Mind.  My post was not meant to be any sort of personal attack.  
If that was the way it came across I appologize.
It was only because your post was the second on on this thread, that I had quoted you.   You clearly stated  it was not an IronMind LBH.  As we all have figured out now, it was just the original LBH, but because there was not an edit to that post -- and only thinking about archival use of the GripBoard content-- in a few years your first post will still be the second thing  people read.  
(That is were editing a post can be helpful -- at least in my opinion.)

That said, had I watched Eric's video or seen the still frame first I might not have even bothered to find my old email from IronMind.

Again, it was not meant to attack or argue, it was only meant for information.

Brian Shaw is both super-sized and super strong.
Many grip guys are only medium size yet super strong...
And some amazing grip guys are small yet mighty!

Personally I am small -- yet getting fat-- and my grip is equal to a wet fish's grip strength.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

Actually, just like Chez, I did not originally watch Eric's video.  [Not sure about him, but for my own employment situation, It is not smart to be watching video at work on my phone, but I can easily get away with reading GripBoard posts.]
After watching Eric's video I am actually very happy someone posted it.  I did not even know Eric had a youtube channel so thanks!  [subscribed now]

Eric's video is great, but having that single freeze frame is probably the most helpful for this discussion.  
I even tried to find info on the LBH in David Horne's "Gripopaedia" but i was not able to even find the LBH [while the book does have page numbers, there is no index]
Clearly Brain Shaw is using the older and way easier implement.  At no point does he hide what it looks like so i do not think any trickery was intended.  I would think he did not know about the update to the design, and I assume once it is brought to his attention, he will get one of the new LBH's before posting any videos doing LBH work... as he seems to be 100% authentic.  
If not, once Brian Shaw is able to visit Jedd, the Diesel Crew will set him on the right path for sure.

I still like that I was able to revisit my emails from Iron-Mind.  My post was not meant to be any sort of personal attack.  
It was only because your post was the second on on this thread, that I had quoted you.   You clearly stated  it was not an IronMind LBH.  As we all have figured out now, it was just the original LBH, but because there was not an edit to that post -- and only thinking about archival use of the GripBoard content-- in a few years your first post will still be the second thing  people read.  

That said, had I watched Eric's video or seen the still frame first I might not have even bothered to find my old email from IronMind.

Personally I am small -- yet getting fat-- and my grip is equal to a wet fish's grip strength.

Good post!

21 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

Your post was perfect and I didn't even think of it as an personal attack. I should have edited my initial post(which I will now) knowing that it was an older model and that of course it wasn't an official WR - which I also stated - so I fudged up 2x with my initial post, LOL

• Like 1

I guess you are looking for an argument Tommy/Alawadhi but not going to get one from me sorry. Obviously I didn't say the things you are saying I said other than a few things. One brian trains his grip a lot (of course he does, that's obvious), and two as regards to the plates (not just juha) that's nothing against him or anybody else I just feel when you use plates that are almost half the width in changes the feat and imo shouldn't be on the same list as originals etc (happy for anybody to disagree, just my personal opinion). I don't think my grip is better than Brian's, never have. As for Britain being the best, David Horne does not = britain. I think Finland would win if there was a team event but there's a lot of strong athletes all around the world. I don't feel being from a certain country would make you any stronger, possibly in terms of genetic makeup but genetics are mixed everywhere. Of course everybody can be strong, I have nothing against any country. I don't know what you are talking about on the mobster #4 thing though think he closed 3 #4's in america. Might be wrong on that, you would have to ask him. I last commented on a gripper video this morning and will happily support anybody closing any gripper or doing any grip event, or for that matter anything that makes them happy really. I don't tend to comment too often, I generally just watch videos, I try to remember to click the like button though. If you want to think I have not closed any #4's etc that's cool. Good luck to both of you in your training, will leave you to it here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Your post was perfect and I didn't even think of it as an personal attack. I should have edited my initial post(which I will now) knowing that it was an older model and that of course it wasn't an official WR - which I also stated - so I fudged up 2x with my initial post, LOL

Jerky McJerkface!

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2018 at 4:10 PM, temmmeeee said:

Here is Igor's amazing lift

The lift looked like it started out with his lifting hand braced against his inner thigh to me...?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

The lift looked like it started out with his lifting hand braced against his inner thigh to me...?

I saw the same 

2 hours ago, Joseph Sullivan said:

I saw the same 

I just watched it and yeah, that immediately jumped out to me too. 

Yup.  I think I've got a PR in me this KING KONG!

8 minutes ago, The Mac said:

You know Competition Plates for Deadlifting are the same height, yeah?

The thickness varies, which effects pinch difficulty. Most are the standard height of 450mm tho some cheaper steel plates can be slightly taller or shorter.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

The thickness varies, which effects pinch difficulty. Most are the standard height of 450mm tho some cheaper steel plates can be slightly taller or shorter.

I'm talking about Deadlifting as mentioned in Tommy's post above mine...and nobody is setting a World Record in a credible Fed on different sized plates (shrugs).