Brian shaw 238lb little big horn lift

Stephen Ruby

12 min in he does the lift with ease. What is the biggest unofficail lift on this device? I know adam glass had some big lifts on it in the past. I wonder why brian shaw never did any grip contests at the expos once he was a top 3 guy in the world considering he trains it and his old training partner Mike burke competed in several. Hopefully the fact he has been putting up so many grip videos recently means he might get the itch to smash some records officially. 

• Like 2

Not a world record nor is it a current Ironmind LBH. Very strong grip obviously but I don't see him "smashing" any records at expos. Smash the RT record? NOPE  Blockbuster? NOPE, SB #4 NOPE, IM HUB - maybe, IM axle- NOPE, IM LBH - doubtful.

Edited by Kluv#0
correct mistake

2 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Not an official world record nor is it an Ironmind LBH. Very strong grip obviously but I don't see him "smashing" any records at expos. Smash the RT record? NOPE  Blockbuster? NOPE, SB #4 NOPE, IM HUB - maybe, IM axle- NOPE, IM LBH - doubtful.

That's just a fun for Brian. At the moment setting WRs is not a primary goal for him at the grip contests - may be later 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WestSlope said:

I'm totally enjoying watching Brian's videos in spite of the click-bait titles. I believe that is the old style LBH and I have read it is more like a v-bar lift.

As far as a locked out LBH non-official, the best I have watched is Kody with something like 240 lbs.

Igor(Kashtan) has done 240lb LBH I believe last year

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Not an official world record nor is it an Ironmind LBH. Very strong grip obviously but I don't see him "smashing" any records at expos. Smash the RT record? NOPE  Blockbuster? NOPE, SB #4 NOPE, IM HUB - maybe, IM axle- NOPE, IM LBH - doubtful.

I could imagine him breaking the axle record but agree with the rest

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

I'm totally enjoying watching Brian's videos in spite of the click-bait titles. I believe that is the old style LBH and I have read it is more like a v-bar lift.

As far as a locked out LBH non-official, the best I have watched is Kody with something like 240 lbs.

Igor Kupinsky lifted 111.2 kg at Ukrainian grip contest but that result was not recognized as a WR by Ironmind

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WestSlope said:

That's right! Igor crushed it that day.

Yep, That dude is a grip monster first class!! Big threat to win entire KK'18 along with Tanner, Tank, Harri and several others

With the weights I have seen Laine, Kody, and Igor hitting on an actual LBH, I am not actually very impressed by a 400lb guy barely "beating the record" with what looks like an easier device. This is not nearly as impressive as his hub lifts or blob lifts.

• Like 3

I have heard that @LAINE SNOOK was able to lift 120 kg on LBH, but didn't manage to lock out 

4 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

@Kluv#0 out of all the lifts you list I would most like to see Brian break the IM record on the axle. Burke's record lift looked too hinky in my opinion

That was certainly a stocking stuffer by the judge(s) however, I think he had the WR lift before, too

7 minutes ago, WestSlope said:

Do you know the reasoning behind Ironmind rejecting the lift as a record?

that's better to ask Igor for providing details 

I have to be totally honest and say i constantly find myself unimpressed when a 400# Professional strength athlete lifts weights either not heavier or barely heavier than guys half his size.   Yes he is strong as he.. but huge hands - huge everything - I guess I somehow expect "more". 

• Like 1

Here is Igor's amazing lift

• Like 6

Just now, climber511 said:

I have to be totally honest and say i constantly find myself unimpressed when a 400# Professional strength athlete lifts weights either not heavier or barely heavier than guys half his size.   Yes he is strong as he.. but huge hands - huge everything - I guess I somehow expect "more". 

Grip doesn't really scale the same though for the heavy weight classes. I like grip for this exact reason that lighter guys can compete with heavier guys which is why andrew durniat is one of my favorite grip athletes since he competed in many open events with no weight class and won vs heavier guys many times. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, temmmeeee said:

Here is Igor's amazing lift

that was filmed by my wife in June, 2017
Kiev, Ukraine

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Grip doesn't really scale the same though for the heavy weight classes. I like grip for this exact reason that lighter guys can compete with heavier guys which is why andrew durniat is one of my favorite grip athletes since he competed in many open events with no weight class and won vs heavier guys many times. 

True that. I want to know what he needs to pull with allometric scoring. I’m guessing well over 300. 😜

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

I keep hearing this, but nobody wants to address the fact that the talent pool is super shallow for really big (and really small) guys doing this. Heck, the talent pool is shallow for grip competition in general. You have a bell curve of people in the sport, with the tallest part of the curve being average sized (180-220lb) guys and everything above and below being smaller populations. Hand size is important, of course, but guess what correlates very strongly with hand size...weight! Should Brian be able to lift twice as much as Kody? No. But 5% more is not impressive at all. Fact of the matter is, we won't know how strong somebody Brian's size should be with grip implements until we have a lot more 400lb guys trying this stuff out (and there's probably not that many 400lb guys out there).

• Like 1

I have done 223 not in competition on an official LBH..... 214 at a comp after I ran out of attempts and over 200 in comp so I was pissed about that! Haha...... I wonder how close the device he used is to the real slick son of a gun!! As of now, on the armlifting USA site I am ahead of mike Burke, martins Licis and Odd Haugen in the number one spot for this device in our weight class, Eric Roussin is also at number one in his class.   Here is 214 .... would love to see what Brian does on an official device 

B3F89B54-F37C-40B2-95E7-861207CC31C2.thumb.png.c30ed925b1fbceae83fee670869f0cb6.png

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Hand size is important, of course, but guess what correlates very strongly with hand size...weight! 

There’s a correlation but not sure how strong. Hand size and foot size can vary a lot. You and Stephen are examples of that. Stephen is 6’6” and well over 300 lbs but I think your hand is longer than his. Even if it isn’t, your hand is bigger than many guys who outweigh you or are taller than you on the board. I’m talking to a guy who’s new in grip and he’s 6’5” but has sub 8 inch hands. 

I think Hand size is one of those things that is tough to factor in. The best

body for grip is a lean short guy with big hands. Shorter height keeps their weight down and the big hands gives them an advantage over others in their weight class.

i do agree we don’t have enough data to figure out any correlations including weight.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

There’s a correlation but not sure how strong. Hand size and foot size can vary a lot. You and Stephen are examples of that. Stephen is 6’6” and well over 300 lbs but I think your hand is longer than his. Even if it isn’t, your hand is bigger than many guys who outweigh you or are taller than you on the board. I’m talking to a guy who’s new in grip and he’s 6’5” but has sub 8 inch hands. 

body for grip is a lean short guy with big hands. Shorter height keeps their weight down and the big hands gives them an advantage over others in their weight class.

i do agree we don’t have enough data to figure out any correlations including weight.

Right, but that's my point. David Labbe is tall like Stephen and has 9"+ hands. Nobody my height and weight that doesn't have some kind of deformity had 9"+ hands. Being bigger means, you are way more likely to have big hands. Just like with squatting, being bigger means that you are more likely to have bigger muscles in your legs. Are there people that are big that have genetically smaller legs and squat less than some people that are smaller than them with genetically big legs? Absolutely. But in general, the average 300lb athlete will squat way more than the average 200lb athlete.

Also, hand size only really matters on wide pinch, some gripper events, and thickbar.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Squeezus said:

Right, but that's my point. David Labbe is tall like Stephen and has 9"+ hands. Nobody my height and weight that doesn't have some kind of deformity had 9"+ hands. Being bigger means, you are way more likely to have big hands. Just like with squatting, being bigger means that you are more likely to have bigger muscles in your legs. Are there people that are big that have genetically smaller legs and squat less than some people that are smaller than them with genetically big legs? Absolutely. But in general, the average 300lb athlete will squat way more than the average 200lb athlete.

Also, hand size only really matters on wide pinch, some gripper events, and thickbar.

Ya. The best we got is the weight classes. But the majority of our lifts aren’t as body weight dependent as powerlifting. Heaviest thing we got is the axle which is the most body weight dependent. After that, Everything is sub

300 lbs. we aren’t dealing with weights that tax a persons whole body strength just to move 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, Chez said:

You may need more data but a man TWICE as big plus a little as Kody or Gil with comparable hand size should be kicking sand in their face - not just sneaking by.

1 hour ago, Squeezus said:

Hand size is important, of course, but guess what correlates very strongly with hand size...weight! Should Brian be able to lift twice as much as Kody? No. But 5% more is not impressive at all. 

That really isn't fair to the heavy weight class. Even in the deadlift which scales much better then grip for weight  Benedikt Magnusson is only about 5% better then Cailer Woolam despite being twice as big as him and I don't think his accomplishment is "not impressive at all".  I think being better whether by 1lb or 50lbs still means your stronger. I think grip is the only strength sport other then arm wrestling where light guys can compete with heavier guys and be competitive which is why its a great sport. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

12 min in he does the lift with ease. What is the biggest unofficail lift on this device? I know adam glass had some big lifts on it in the past. I wonder why brian shaw never did any grip contests at the expos once he was a top 3 guy in the world considering he trains it and his old training partner Mike burke competed in several. Hopefully the fact he has been putting up so many grip videos recently means he might get the itch to smash some records officially. 

Wow the old LBH is more like a vertical bar than an anvil horn!! There is barely any taper or conical shape on it all!!! The new one is a cone!! I highly doubt .. meaning his gym mates there, would be lifting 190 or above  so easy on the newer LBH.... man I did not realize the old version was almost like the jug!

Edited by Guest

26 minutes ago, Stephen Ruby said:

That really isn't fair to the heavy weight class. Even in the deadlift which scales much better then grip for weight  Benedikt Magnusson is only about 5% better then Cailer Woolam despite being twice as big as him and I don't think his accomplishment is "not impressive at all".  I think being better whether by 1lb or 50lbs still means your stronger. I think grip is the only strength sport other then arm wrestling where light guys can compete with heavier guys and be competitive which is why its a great sport. 

Armwrestling is definitely not a sport where light guys can compete with heavier guys. At least not if they are of equal competative ability. If the local heavyweight happens to lose against some pro lightweight, it just means that the local heavyweight sucked. But imagine putting someone like a 180 lbs Cobra Rhodes against a 270 lbs Dave Chaffee or Denis Cyplenkov. It wouldn’t even be a match.

• Like 1